PDA

View Full Version : What did the Pacific bases/airfields look like

RAAFVirtSqn
04-03-2004, 01:21 AM
If anyone wants to get a really look at what both Japanese and allied bases, harbours, airfields looked like, in terms of layout building types, ships, vehicles etc get a hold of the "Victory at Sea" documentary series from your Library or retail.

In particualr Volume 2 covering : Guadacanal, Rings around Rabaul and Volume 5 The Turkey Shoot, Two if by Sea (Peleliu and Angarr), Battle for Leytte Gulf.

This documentary series was made back in 1958 and has been re-released on DVD etc.

It has the most amazing and comprehensive footage of bases, machinery, aircraft and materials of what they looked like and layout etc.

It is in Black and White but given when it was made it seems to have the most rare footage
of WW2 in the pacific I have ever seen(and I have a lot of vidoes and books on the subject)

So if you are in design and development mode for this sim - it is very much worth a look as a reference source.

I am even happy to lend them to Luthier and his team if you want.

Kind Regards
_RAAF_Schuftie

RAAFVirtSqn
04-03-2004, 01:21 AM
If anyone wants to get a really look at what both Japanese and allied bases, harbours, airfields looked like, in terms of layout building types, ships, vehicles etc get a hold of the "Victory at Sea" documentary series from your Library or retail.

In particualr Volume 2 covering : Guadacanal, Rings around Rabaul and Volume 5 The Turkey Shoot, Two if by Sea (Peleliu and Angarr), Battle for Leytte Gulf.

This documentary series was made back in 1958 and has been re-released on DVD etc.

It has the most amazing and comprehensive footage of bases, machinery, aircraft and materials of what they looked like and layout etc.

It is in Black and White but given when it was made it seems to have the most rare footage
of WW2 in the pacific I have ever seen(and I have a lot of vidoes and books on the subject)

So if you are in design and development mode for this sim - it is very much worth a look as a reference source.

I am even happy to lend them to Luthier and his team if you want.

Kind Regards
_RAAF_Schuftie

RAAFVirtSqn
04-03-2004, 01:44 AM
Marston matting.

Oh yeah - will marston matting be appearing on some strips?

Tully__
04-03-2004, 06:58 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RAAFVirtSqn:
Marston matting.

Oh yeah - will marston matting be appearing on some strips?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And mud & dust.

=================================================

http://members.optusnet.com.au/tully_78th/sig.jpg

IL2 Forums Moderator
Forum Terms of Use (http://www.ubi.com/US/Info/TermsOfUse.htm)

Salut
Tully

heywooood
04-03-2004, 01:02 PM
There was a lot of crushed coral too wasn't there?.. that would be easy.. just looks like concrete and we would just sorta "know" it was coral. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Adair_Smith
04-03-2004, 07:31 PM
MaskRider did some amazing research into Pacific airfields for his CFS2 freeware addons.
I'm sure he would be happy to share information with the developers of PF.