PDA

View Full Version : ricochets

stubby
09-14-2004, 06:30 AM
Watching some old gun cam footage of roving US planes straffing Japanese ships. One thing that was consistent - ricochets. Bullets bouncing off the water, off of ships, etc.. More amazing was the altitude these things would bounce to. Il2 currently has it modeled to a limited degree when you try to blast an Il2 with bbs. I wonder if ricochets will be animated for ship pounding? That would be damn cool to see. Of course, a ricocheted round could puncture the fuel tanks of buddies so one would have to be careful when attacking in packs. The other thing that would be cool is ship explosions. Some of these ships went up like a MOAB. Fuel trains in Il2 have this ability so I'm hoping ships will have the same characteristic. Can't tell you how many pilots I lost due to a secondary explosion of a train car going up after I made a bombing run.

stubby
09-14-2004, 06:30 AM
Watching some old gun cam footage of roving US planes straffing Japanese ships. One thing that was consistent - ricochets. Bullets bouncing off the water, off of ships, etc.. More amazing was the altitude these things would bounce to. Il2 currently has it modeled to a limited degree when you try to blast an Il2 with bbs. I wonder if ricochets will be animated for ship pounding? That would be damn cool to see. Of course, a ricocheted round could puncture the fuel tanks of buddies so one would have to be careful when attacking in packs. The other thing that would be cool is ship explosions. Some of these ships went up like a MOAB. Fuel trains in Il2 have this ability so I'm hoping ships will have the same characteristic. Can't tell you how many pilots I lost due to a secondary explosion of a train car going up after I made a bombing run.

Fliger747
09-16-2004, 04:02 AM
Haven't seen the movies of ricochets! Generally that takes a pretty flat angle on the water and no real sea state. Skip bombing was used with some sucess, in which the bomb was skipped off of the water at low altitude into the side of a ship.

Being done in by one's own bomb explosions was real posibility. Typical tactics, other than staying higher (good idea) was the use of parachutes (parafrags) and fuse delay.

WOLFMondo
09-16-2004, 05:04 AM
Skip bombing rules! Its a very sure way of killing a ship but its very risky. All the AA and if your airspeed is to low you won't be able to pull out before the blast. Its blast to actually do it though after a power dive. Its like BnZ'ing a ship with bombs lol.

I suspect the toll taken on the CPU to work out the balistics of the ricochets would probably. kill most modern CPU's.

http://bill.nickdafish.com/sig/mondo.jpg
Wolfgaming.net. Where the Gameplay is teamplay (http://www.wolfgaming.net)

Tater-SW-
09-16-2004, 07:58 AM
You can skip bomb in FB now, I can even get the non-strafer B-25 AI to skip well, of course they pickle all the bombs every time.

It'd be nice to control the fuse for delay, although in RL, they tried different settings, and if I recall correctly they went back to instantaneous fuses for skipping after they found delays to be less effective.

tater

VF-3Thunderboy
09-17-2004, 06:57 PM
I have seen ricochets in guncamera films. You can clearly see tracers bouncing off the ground, and is quite common.

Blottogg
09-18-2004, 12:04 AM
Ricochets off water and sand are quite common. The practice bombing range for Misawa AB Japan is Ripsaw range, about ten miles north of the base, and right on the beach. We'd strafe (low angle strafe - 5 degree dive angle) pointed out to sea (for obvious reasons), and routinely bounce 20mm ball ammo off the beach and water. This only got our attention after the weapons guys goofed up and ordered a whole lot more tracer ammo than we needed. To get rid of it, we went from about one in ten tracer, to all tracer. For the first time, we could SEE all the ricochets, spreading out like a fan in front of us, and going well above our strafing altitude. Several jets were over-g'd as pilots pulled hard to get above the ricochets. Most of them were well in front of us, but poor depth perception on a 20mm slug loses out to the effect of tracers arcing UP at you from the ground. Our prior ignorance was bliss.

It's a neat idea to include this in the game. The effect has be done for armored aircraft (not just the Il-2), so hopefully this can be included against ships, water and level ground without bringing framerates to a crawl.

In a related note, I'm impressed that the team has already incorporated not just skip-bombing, but bomb broaching as well. Bombs often skip when dropped at low angles on land, and we called the effect broaching. I've done this several times in the game, which (with a 2 second functional delay) obviously missed the intended target. Frustrating, but very realistic.

Blotto

"Speed is life." - Anon
"Sight is life. Speed is merely groovy." - "Junior"

ploughman
09-18-2004, 06:09 AM
Nelson ricochetted his cannon fire at the Battle of the Nile to destroy the French fleet. In Cricketting parlance, the British fleet bowled Yorkers and the French were all out.

Contemporary warships turn head on to a missile strike but side on to a bomb (aircraft) strike. The thinking being that although a ship side on looks a juicy target to a bomber, the bomb may skip or sail clear over the top if it is dropped too soon or too late, if the ship is head on to a bomb strike them margin for error in timing the drop is much greater thus making it more likely a bomb'll hit (provided the bomber is lined up properly of course). But they you all knew that, I'm sure.

SKULLS_CoyMS
09-18-2004, 06:41 AM
I recorded a co-op recently. while going over the track,I noticed a strange kill. A fuel truck that we straffed and hit failed to explode.My lead circled back and made another run..but missed the truck entirely,Yet it went up in a ball of flames. Can only asume that a ricochet finnished the damaged truck off. Looked at it 3 times,stopping and viewing from several angles, he clearly missed the target

http://home.centurytel.net/pooka/b3.JPG

http://home.centurytel.net/pooka/skulls_sig-Coy.gif (http://la-famiglia.se/skulls/forum/)

Flying is like sex - I've never had all I wanted but occasionally I've had all I could stand.