PDA

View Full Version : The Invisible War of Ideology - Can either side actually win?

Sorrosyss
05-19-2016, 12:32 AM
You put us down. We rise again. You end one plot – we forge another. You try so hard... But it always ends the same.

- Charles Lee, 1782

http://i.imgur.com/szEDeNw.jpg

The Assassin-Templar war has waged since the time of the Isu. The war of ideologies has at times become varied shades of grey, but essentially it usually boils down to the battle between freedom and order.

If were to ignore the Juno situation (or assume that it would eventually be resolved), imagine if you will what the long term future would be for this conflict. Can either side actually win?

The Assassin Brotherhood

The Brotherhood's stated aim is to fight for freedom.

"Nothing is true, everything is permitted."

Their push for promoting individuality and peace in all things, would have to inevitably end up in the dissolution of law itself. At its most extreme, ultimate freedom would mean an end to all laws. A lawless society it is argued, would create chaos.

The Templar Order

The Order seeks to create a New World.

"May the Father of Understanding guide you."

Free will is an anathema to them, as only they have the vision to guide humanity to their purpose. They do this through control, usually through the manipulation of law and government. The more control they seek, the more the world would slip into complete totalitarianism - with every facet of your life monitored.

Neither Can Win

Thus we come to a possible realization. Every time oppression has taken hold of a nation, the Assassins have been present aiding revolution after revolution. Every time a conflict ends, new laws are passed and the Templars place order upon chaos.

Like the Yin and Yang, whenever humanity loses its way, the two factions have worked against each other ensuring that neither ideological extreme has ever reached reality. Whether they realise it or not, the two need each other and neither can truly win.

http://i.imgur.com/LCBsLyX.jpg

But what is your view? Is the Assassin ideal of the perfect peace possible? Can humanity prosper under complete Templar domination? Or is the invisible war here for perpetuity?

RVSage
05-19-2016, 12:44 AM
Neither can win,

Because the two extremes are dangerous. That is what Haytham Kenway realized in his time. He wanted to unite both the orders , under a common goal. Though he eventually gave up on the idea. Freedom with Order , is required. Not necessarily a guiding hand, but rather a hand that knows when to warn, yield and say stop

VestigialLlama4
05-19-2016, 06:20 AM
As far as the modern day goes, the Templars have won. Public assassinations are no longer seen as "good things" even by the Assassins themselves. So their tactics have become a thing of the past, good only for trashy Abstergo products. For the Assassins to bounce back, they can best hope to achieve a temporary victory, like say if Abstergo gets bought out and diversified and the Templar chairmen get kicked out and a lot of the staff gets laid off, which should be easy since most of Abstergo's products don't really make fiscal sense and Abstergo Entertainment's recent products have been public failures.

But you know, I don't think we can consider Assassins and Templars to be distinct idelogies, because it's not clear what they are fighting for. To me they are secret societies and glorified street gangs and nothing else.

dxsxhxcx
05-19-2016, 02:07 PM
I don't think the Assassins promote peace, yes, this may be ideal outcome they have in mind, but more than anything they promote that people should be completely free to do as they please and face the consequences of their actions, being them good or bad, whereas the Templars do seek peace but don't believe this can be achieved without a guide (in this case, themselves).

with that said, I think none of them can win this war.

Sushiglutton
05-19-2016, 02:47 PM
One thing to consider is that there are many variations of order but primarily one of freedom. Fascism, communism, theocracy etc don't tend to get along too well among eachother. This is why Templars will struggle even if they win. That said there will always be need for some order of course. It depends on the attitude of the people. If they have high work ethics, rational mindset, no tribal tendencies, and solves problems through dialogue rather than violence (etc) you can have a system with more freedom. If not more order may be necessary with the goal of lifting the values of the people until they are ready for Freeeeedom!

cawatrooper9
05-20-2016, 02:45 PM
I voted "neither" but let me explain why: we have to be very careful when talking about an "Invisible War". Rather, I'd argue that there are multiple wars going on, throughout history.

Sometimes the Assassins win, like in Syndicate. Other times, the Templars win, like in Rogue. Other times, it's a Pyrrhic victory for one side or the other, such as in AC1. There have been tons of individual wars, and the pendulum has swung both ways (though, in the games, we typically see the Assassins win).

If, by this question, you mean to ask if one side will ever completely win... well again, I answer "neither". As the original title of this thread states, this is a war of ideologies. It is not one of borders, or nations, or race. Though many Assassins and Templars have some First Civ DNA, it's not required. Instead, as long as people believe in their cause, even if the cause was previously eradicated, the fight will endure.

That's why I don't completely hate Rogue's ending. Otso Berg might seem like a bit of a meathead, but he implemented perhaps (what could have been) the most sinister attack on the Assassins in history. For a tired analogy, he's basically the Bane of the series, in that broke (or at least tried to break) their spirits, and now he's going after their bodies. Of course, I think that in the end, his attack came across as a little half-hearted, but the intent of showing the Assassins how flawed they really are was a good one. After all, we've seen Assassins struggling with their beliefs since the very first game.

There may yet be a reason that the series still calls itself Assassins Creed, and we may begin to see our heroes doubting it soon.

(sorry for the melodrama, it's a Friday)

Abelzorus-Prime
05-25-2016, 01:21 AM
It's obvious none of them will win because of human nature, both sides can have minor victories or even long lasting ones but there will always be those who want order and security and those who want freedom and liberty. Just look at our own world.