PDA

View Full Version : Serious AI problem found

arrow80
08-24-2004, 02:25 AM
Here is my observation. If you want to beat more nimble AI plane, let's say LA-7 in FW 190 A6, at equal terms (head on, 1000m) here is the algorithm, that ALWAYS works. Just avoid the first head on and after your enemy is on your tail just start a hard turn (preferably with combat flaps). Be patient and continue turning for sufficient time until the LA-7 bugs out of it, continue your turn until you get on his six and thrash him...that's all. I've tested it many times, AI will alway bug out of such turn, cannot really hit you (as it isn't able to shoot deflection). Works also against more enemy fighters...

arrow80
08-24-2004, 02:25 AM
Here is my observation. If you want to beat more nimble AI plane, let's say LA-7 in FW 190 A6, at equal terms (head on, 1000m) here is the algorithm, that ALWAYS works. Just avoid the first head on and after your enemy is on your tail just start a hard turn (preferably with combat flaps). Be patient and continue turning for sufficient time until the LA-7 bugs out of it, continue your turn until you get on his six and thrash him...that's all. I've tested it many times, AI will alway bug out of such turn, cannot really hit you (as it isn't able to shoot deflection). Works also against more enemy fighters...

Luftcaca
08-24-2004, 10:45 AM
yep, work pretty well agaisnt all fighters, as long as the AI is not an ACE

Last night I was in my F2 and I had like 5 or 6 Lagg3 on my back, and they had the advantage, well at least a couple of em since they joined the fight later, arriving from above.

Each an every one of em wasted their ammo trying to shoot me down, and one after the other they break and passed into what I call the "total ignorance mode" Which means I shot em down quite easily without em even reacting to bullet hits (some of em actually went into that stupid evasive maneuver of making repeated barrel rolls that allow them to loose speed in such an impossible way...anyway)

if you make an ennemy trying to get away from trouble, try to make him use throttle 110% at least, else its...lame to say the least

http://www.ifrance.com/boussourir/luftcaca.jpg

Formerly ''known'' as Gunther Aeroburst

wants flyable:

early 110's
IL-10
Pe-3

arrow80
08-24-2004, 01:03 PM
Luftcaca: exactly...http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif You can beat this way, also at least a single or 2 ACE AI...but that doesn't matter. What does matter is the fact, that it completely ruins offline gameplay and you basically don't have to do much flying just keep turning. I think AI in FB in general isn't that bad, but if it could deflection shoot just a bit (for every skill level a bit better) it would make the game much more difficult and immersive...

arrow80
08-26-2004, 03:32 AM
bump
Noone thinks that this is a real problem? To beat out AI just by turning? I see here endless discussions about tiny things, but such a major thing for offline play (majority of Il2 players) doesn't get any attention. I don't mind AI to cheat (I am myself an AI programmer, bit this is really crucial point, that AI is very predictable and only some minor improvements in deflection shooting could do lot of difference. As what I see AI is doing in the game how it flies its machines is just fine, but they really lack the ability to shoot a bit of deflection...

JG54_Arnie
08-26-2004, 03:54 AM
Yes, it would be nice if it got fixed. But you can fly different yourself, its kinda boring to beat the AI the same way over and over again, so try something else. Also if you fly with enough enemy fighters in the air turning all the time wont help you. And aces will hit you if you try this on them.
My experience is that if you keep turning some will break off and start making slashing attacks.
But I stopped turning all the time, its boring and it got me killed too often as well btw. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

---------------------------
JG54ded_42/43 online for your entertainment, come visit us at Hyperlobby! If you like the Eastern Front that is. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

We fly with limited planesets for 1941, 1942, 1943 and 1944, the year changing every two hours.
Questions, recommendations or compaints: PM (called PT here I believe) me.

F19_Ob
08-26-2004, 04:01 AM
There are some limitations in ai that cant be solved....its a tradeoff at best.

The ai can not think ahead in battle.
The only thing u can do on ai is to make an ai-plane able to turn better than it could in real life, or do other crazy maneuvers that you cant do.
I dont think this last thing is preferable?
We cant espect more from ai yet. maybe in the future.
Best thing is to go online to meet thinking opponents.