PDA

View Full Version : Assassin's Creed 3: Radio Drama

BATISTABUS
05-16-2016, 02:12 AM
At this point, I think it's pretty safe to say we will never get another Connor game. It would be a miracle if we got an Embers-style AC3 short. These things all require too many resources, money, marketing, etc.

HOWEVER

What if there were an AC3 Radio/Audio Drama that either covered events or journal entries of Connor's life during/after the events of AC3? While it would still require some amount of money and resources, and while it wouldn't be as satisfying as a full-fledged video game or short, it could provide some closure that fans of the game are looking for on a reasonable budget. They could bring back the original cast to voice their characters, and it wouldn't have to be multiple hours long.

What do you think? Would you be happy if we got something like this? I think this is a good compromise between the die-hard fans and the real-world financial aspect.

For anyone who is unfamiliar with an audio/radio drama, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio_drama

Sigma 1313
05-16-2016, 05:14 AM
I would love something like that. Maybe an audio log in the next game or something. I really want to know what ends up happening with Connor, Shay, and Arno. I've never been a massive fan of Connor, but I'm still interested in what happens with the 3 of them. Arno had a massive cliffhanger at the end, and it I'd be interested in knowing if he and napoleon ever go to Egypt, etc. I feel like Arno's story was too open ended. Same with Connor and Shay. I'd also like a confirmation about Arno rejoining the brotherhood. I'm actually satisfied with Evie and Jacob. We know they live decent lives after Jack the Ripper, have children, and one of their grandchildren is a major influence in WW1. I'm happy with their ending, but not with the other 3.

cawatrooper9
05-16-2016, 05:03 PM
Assassins Creed/ Nightvale crossover.

My brain tells me it would be absolutely terrible, but my heart tells me it would be amazing.

SixKeys
05-16-2016, 09:39 PM
What a brilliant idea! Take the worst voice actor in the series and create a radio drama around him. :rolleyes:

Mr.Black24
05-17-2016, 03:08 AM
What a brilliant idea! Take the worst voice actor in the series and create a radio drama around him. :rolleyes: PPFFFFFTTTTTT Says you. I think he did a fantastic job. At the same time, I can't think of another that can take his place. Its going to be like the Ezio thing in China all over again.

Going back, this would be the best 3rd option in my opinion. Being an Alien fan, I just heard some minutes of Alien – Out of the Shadows audio drama and I would love hearing something like this while driving to work or just doing work at home. The novel better not be written by Bowden though cuz, yeeessshhhh!

BATISTABUS
05-18-2016, 02:12 AM
What a brilliant idea! Take the worst voice actor in the series and create a radio drama around him. :rolleyes:
I'm not going to have this discussion for the 50th time (not today, at least), so think what you want about the overall performance, but you can't tell me that his narrations sound bad.

pacmanate
05-18-2016, 02:17 AM
Well it's not a discussion worthy topic anyway, it's an opinion.

On that subject, although I really dislike Connors voice in AC3, his section in the AC4 Aveline missions sounded different. Probably because the VA varied his tone instead of hitting the same note for every word he spoke.

SixKeys
05-18-2016, 10:22 PM
I'm not going to have this discussion for the 50th time (not today, at least), so think what you want about the overall performance, but you can't tell me that his narrations sound bad.

I do think his narrations sound bad. If I'm listening to a radio drama, I'd prefer an actor who doesn't sound like he's reading the phonebook all the time. You don't have to agree with my opinion, of course.

And before you bring up Alta´r, since I know we have different preferences for his voice actors, I wouldn't suggest a radio drama around Philip Shabaz's performance, either.

pacmanate
05-19-2016, 01:28 AM
The only VA I will never get tired of hearing is Matt Ryan #BringBackConstantine

Sushiglutton
05-19-2016, 02:54 PM

Oh noo you did not :eek:! A couple of years ago this would have brought down hellfire on the forums lol.

pacmanate
05-20-2016, 01:05 PM
Oh noo you did not :eek:! A couple of years ago this would have brought down hellfire on the forums lol.

Considering 2012 these forums were a literal representation of hell anyway...

GunnerGalactico
05-20-2016, 05:47 PM
Well, I sure picked a fine day to come out of the dark. :rolleyes:

Even if they were to create an Audio Drama that covered the behind the scenes aspects of Connor's life, it wouldn't sound as bad as people make it out to be. Noah would've probably broken into his "Connor voice" impression by now and wouldn't sound like a Navigation App. However, I personally don't care for audio narrations. I would much rather read a book/graphic novel/comic at this point.

Mr.Black24
05-20-2016, 07:47 PM
Well, I sure picked a fine day to come out of the dark. :rolleyes:Even if they were to create an Audio Drama that covered the behind the scenes aspects of Connor's life, it wouldn't sound as bad as people make it out to be. Noah would've probably broken into his "Connor voice" impression by now and wouldn't sound like a Navigation App. However, I personally don't care for audio narrations. I would much rather read a book/graphic novel/comic at this point.Well audio narrations come out after the novels...I mean how else they are going to narrate this from? Which at this point, it means that if there would be a radio drama,a novel is a must. Plus when people keep saying that Connor's voice is weird.......but like isn't that kind of racist seeing that is the accent of the natives then and that Connor's english is second language. Too foreign for ya? I keep saying that the mohawk consultants were the ones overseeing how Noah does the voice...but ya know **** them and historical accuracy right?Though it shouldn't be a problem anymore, seeing that he would adapt to english more as the years go by and speak with an english accent a bit, be more lax and stuff.

Megas_Doux
05-20-2016, 08:13 PM
Considering 2012 these forums were a literal representation of hell anyway...

The state of the forums in a nutshell:

From april 2012 to oct/nov 2012: OMG THIS IS GUNNNA BE THE BESTEST THING EVA.!!!!

Oct/nov 2012 to april 2013: UBISOFT!!! WHY U DO DIS??? WORST GAME EVA, WHERE IS EZIO????

April 2013 to june 2014: Where's Connor's sequel vs OMG NO MORR CONNOR EVA!!!! In every thread... I remember Black widow sticking a thread about not hijacking every discussion.

Back on topic, what a shame that for the most story driven AC to date, the VA of its proganist didn't deliver and neither some of the mohawk crew.

cawatrooper9
05-20-2016, 08:20 PM
I know a lot of radio dramas today are sort of meta viral-marketing types of things, such as listening to an in-universe radio station like in Welcome to Nightvale or the Zombies Run! app. Obviously, this model wouldn't work for Connor, but it could work pretty well for the MD Assassins. Would anyone have any interest in something like that?

Ureh
05-20-2016, 09:33 PM

Even if they were to create an Audio Drama that covered the behind the scenes aspects of Connor's life, it wouldn't sound as bad as people make it out to be. Noah would've probably broken into his "Connor voice" impression by now and wouldn't sound like a Navigation App. However, I personally don't care for audio narrations. I would much rather read a book/graphic novel/comic at this point.

That's good idea! A motion comic with sound effects and voices!

SixKeys
05-20-2016, 10:29 PM

Hahaha, navigation app. That's perfect.

Well audio narrations come out after the novels...I mean how else they are going to narrate this from? Which at this point, it means that if there would be a radio drama,a novel is a must. Plus when people keep saying that Connor's voice is weird.......but like isn't that kind of racist seeing that is the accent of the natives then and that Connor's english is second language. Too foreign for ya? I keep saying that the mohawk consultants were the ones overseeing how Noah does the voice...but ya know **** them and historical accuracy right?Though it shouldn't be a problem anymore, seeing that he would adapt to english more as the years go by and speak with an english accent a bit, be more lax and stuff.

If it's the accent, then how do you explain Kanento:kon's voice actor being more expressive in his delivery?

The state of the forums in a nutshell:

From april 2012 to oct/nov 2012: OMG THIS IS GUNNNA BE THE BESTEST THING EVA.!!!!

Oct/nov 2012 to april 2013: UBISOFT!!! WHY U DO DIS??? WORST GAME EVA, WHERE IS EZIO????

April 2013 to june 2014: Where's Connor's sequel vs OMG NO MORR CONNOR EVA!!!! In every thread... I remember Black widow sticking a thread about not hijacking every discussion.

Don't forget "if you dislike Connor for any reason whatsoever, you're racist and just don't understand his character".

ze_topazio
05-20-2016, 11:03 PM
I remember the good old days in 2013 when a thread about "Walking vs Running" would have one page of walking vs running discussion and 10 pages of Ezio vs Connor discussion.

SixKeys
05-20-2016, 11:19 PM
I remember the good old days in 2013 when a thread about "Walking vs Running" would have one page of walking vs running discussion and 10 pages of Ezio vs Connor discussion.

https://i.imgur.com/f7FdEdG.jpg

Black_Widow9
05-21-2016, 01:34 AM
Let's not bring it back shall we. lol

https://66.media.tumblr.com/ac0219734cfc2fd5ea87b4a76dee3be1/tumblr_n06xsh9tim1sta92oo1_400.gif

Mr.Black24
05-21-2016, 02:41 AM
If it's the accent, then how do you explain Kanento:kon's voice actor being more expressive in his delivery? I thought it was already set up in their teen years that Connor was the soft and calm spoken one while his friend was the more excitable one. Like how Kaneton:kon rushes in deeply panicked that William has the money to buy the tea, Connor got mad, but getting extra wouldn't help the situation nor calm his friend down. Same when he felt like a failure when hunting, Connor spoke to him in a mature manner and gave him a good push. Plus if you even paid attention ingame, whenever Connor spoke to his people in their language, you can hear the difference in tone and expression compared to when he speaks english. Such as his astonishment when his grandmother showed him the crystal ball, his weariness when he explained to her in his adult years that he will stop fighting when everyone is safe, and his desperation when he tried to convince his best friend that Charles is the enemy. And when he does speak english, compare that when he speaks to his friends and when he speaks to those he work with.

It was already express here in 2:18 that Connor's tone is one of calmness and level headed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ME6KO1gjpM

And maybe this might be due to lack of understanding but....what other expressions are you talking about? There was very little in Connor's life to be happy about, most of the time he has to hunt down Templars to save his people. He can't just kick back and get a laugh in ya know? Maybe I'm wrong, perhaps he is "dull", but I really don't understand what are you looking for.

Oh boy it wasn't just here, but everywhere else.....

Well after hearing his narration for the intro in the Aveline DLC, he became a little more relaxed in his tone, and I do expect that he becomes this way as part of character development due the latter years of using english a bit more, especially since he leads the American Brotherhood now.

BATISTABUS
05-21-2016, 02:52 AM
And before you bring up Alta´r, since I know we have different preferences for his voice actors, I wouldn't suggest a radio drama around Philip Shabaz's performance, either.
I was intentionally avoiding that :p

Anyway, I think he turned out a bad performance for AC1, but under the right circumstances (proper accent, performance capture, better direction), things could've been different.

That's good idea! A motion comic with sound effects and voices!
Not that I wouldn't love that, but that kind of defeats the purpose of this being a low-budget production.

Unfortunately, one of the best parts of Noah's performance was the face/motion capture (https://youtu.be/Eb5WF4kBlY4?t=238), which would be completely lost in an audio drama. That being said, as long as they play to his strengths (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pWda-TNg58) (live performance instead of performing in the booth - like the Homestead missions), I think he'd do a great job. His narrations are compelling (they threw in as many as possible in the main game and promo material), and his (cut) Forsaken monologue (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6d79JHh3cU) is one of the best performances in the series.

SixKeys
05-21-2016, 10:08 AM
I thought it was already set up in their teen years that Connor was the soft and calm spoken one while his friend was the more excitable one. Like how Kaneton:kon rushes in deeply panicked that William has the money to buy the tea, Connor got mad, but getting extra wouldn't help the situation nor calm his friend down. Same when he felt like a failure when hunting, Connor spoke to him in a mature manner and gave him a good push. Plus if you even paid attention ingame, whenever Connor spoke to his people in their language, you can hear the difference in tone and expression compared to when he speaks english. Such as his astonishment when his grandmother showed him the crystal ball, his weariness when he explained to her in his adult years that he will stop fighting when everyone is safe, and his desperation when he tried to convince his best friend that Charles is the enemy. And when he does speak english, compare that when he speaks to his friends and when he speaks to those he work with.

It was already express here in 2:18 that Connor's tone is one of calmness and level headed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ME6KO1gjpM

And maybe this might be due to lack of understanding but....what other expressions are you talking about? There was very little in Connor's life to be happy about, most of the time he has to hunt down Templars to save his people. He can't just kick back and get a laugh in ya know? Maybe I'm wrong, perhaps he is "dull", but I really don't understand what are you looking for.

Oh boy it wasn't just here, but everywhere else.....

Well after hearing his narration for the intro in the Aveline DLC, he became a little more relaxed in his tone, and I do expect that he becomes this way as part of character development due the latter years of using english a bit more, especially since he leads the American Brotherhood now.

I'm not talking about personality, I'm talking about delivery and conviction. Kanento:kon's voice actor simply convinces me more with his performance. When he needs to sound happy, he does. When he needs to sound angry or sad, he does. With Connor there are some really awkward moments in the game where he tries to sound happy (like when he hears about Miriam and Norris being engaged), but it comes off just as monotone as the rest of his dialogue. So it can't be the accent or his Mohawk background, Kanento:kon's voice is just a better actor.

There are of course moments where Noah emotes really well, like "GIVE ME LEE!!!" and when he tells Haytham about Ziio's death. Those moments are few and far in between, though. Some responsibility lies on the director for not getting more out of him, because I know Noah is capable of more.

Mr.Black24
05-22-2016, 10:56 PM
I'm not talking about personality, I'm talking about delivery and conviction. Kanento:kon's voice actor simply convinces me more with his performance. When he needs to sound happy, he does. When he needs to sound angry or sad, he does. With Connor there are some really awkward moments in the game where he tries to sound happy (like when he hears about Miriam and Norris being engaged), but it comes off just as monotone as the rest of his dialogue. So it can't be the accent or his Mohawk background, Kanento:kon's voice is just a better actor.

0:12-0:33 Are you sure? Even his ol "What would you have me do?" line has a happy tone to it that is not present in his normal use of the line.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pv99lMvMZnc&list=PLC3K27naXYLroaoHDWvaZfl0 C_mpycYJy&index=26

When he talks to his mother again in TTOKW, it delivers how strongly Connor is surprised to his his mother again, but the joyed tone after bearing the pain of loosing her looms in the tone.

http://allsoundsasscreed.tumblr.com/post/144052901843/ratonhnhak%C3%A9ton-mother-what-are-you-doing-here

While I forgot how your opinion on his character was for his cut off speech about how he failed his parents, it still emotes his frustrations, failure, and determination on doing better. Going back, even you said that Noah is capable of doing more, and since he has experience already on hand with Connor's personality and mannerisms, who can say he can't take it to a stronger level?

I kind of believe though since we are so used to more light hearted characters like Ezio and Jacob, anybody that sounds upset or frustrated is just automatically demoted to monotone and dull.

Megas_Doux
05-23-2016, 02:17 AM
When he talks to his mother again in TTOKW, it delivers how strongly Connor is surprised to his his mother again, but the joyed tone after bearing the pain of loosing her looms in the tone.

His job was indeed better on that DLC.

I kind of believe though since we are so used to more light hearted characters like Ezio and Jacob, anybody that sounds upset or frustrated is just automatically demoted to monotone and dull.

May be, however Adrian Hough outperformed Watts. Haytham being neither light hearted nor jolly.

Mr.Black24
05-23-2016, 03:44 AM
May be, however Adrian Hough outperformed Watts. Haytham being neither light hearted nor jolly. But he wasn't frustrated nor unsure of his surroundings either. Haytham is a bit more lax due to the environment he is in. Being an Englishman and of nobility, he is in his element in colonial circles. Much more being a Grand Master as well. Connor isn't, for he is an outsider to almost everything out there hence why everyone who talks to him sees him as a naive kid who will get foolishly killed like Israel Putnam and James Barrett, so in return Connor's tone is more calm/neutral or with anger. It just proves my point.

ERICATHERINE
05-23-2016, 04:23 AM
There are of course moments where Noah emotes really well, like "GIVE ME LEE!!!"

And that's my cue to put this here. XD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLFlq2SerGQ