PDA

View Full Version : Inaccurate Portrayal of Charles Dic.kns in AC Syndicate

Daniel-the-Bard
05-16-2016, 12:20 AM
During the "Sleeping Syrup" mission, Charles ****ens acts shocked when he finds datura (a poison) and opium, the most widely-used painkiller of the day in the recipe.

In reality, Charles ****ens was an opium addict (in the form of laudanum), so would have never condemned the use of opium in a patent medicine. In fact, almost all patent medicines contained opium, as until quite recently, there were no non-opium-derived cough suppressants or painkillers in existence.

This historical inaccuracy probably wasn't noticed by most, but it annoyed me, haha.

crusader_prophet
05-16-2016, 03:41 AM
During the "Sleeping Syrup" mission, Charles ****ens acts shocked when he finds datura (a poison) and opium, the most widely-used painkiller of the day in the recipe.

In reality, Charles ****ens was an opium addict (in the form of laudanum), so would have never condemned the use of opium in a patent medicine. In fact, almost all patent medicines contained opium, as until quite recently, there were no non-opium-derived cough suppressants or painkillers in existence.

This historical inaccuracy probably wasn't noticed by most, but it annoyed me, haha.

CD is known to have experimented with Opium and rebuked it in his works at a later stage of his life (Mystery of Edwin Drood) based on the effects he experienced from high opium usage. Little learning is a dangerous thing.

BananaBlighter
05-16-2016, 06:24 PM
I think you're getting confused between Charles D*ckens and Charles Darwin. And the mission that you speak of is called 'Unnatural Selection' as far as I can tell. I don't know anything about Charles Darwin having an opium addiction though.

Daniel-the-Bard
05-17-2016, 12:04 AM
I could swear it was Charles ****ens. At least it looked like him.... Oh well. Regardless, opium was not looked at dis-favorably back then, while datura certainly was.

rob1990312
06-22-2016, 04:34 AM
Why the hell is Charles ****ens censored it's not like his name is Charles ****hands

ERICATHERINE
06-22-2016, 06:11 AM
Why the hell is Charles ****ens censored it's not like his name is Charles ****hands

Or you can just write his name like that "D!ckens". You just have to replace the "i" by an excamation mark. ^-^

LoyalACFan
06-24-2016, 10:22 AM

Because the auto-censors on these boards are notoriously hypersensitive. They used to censor the word 'beaver,' leading to much confusion when talking about AC3's wildlife :p

Hell, I'm surprised '@ss' isn't fully censored, and we aren't typing ******in's Creed all the time.

rob1990312
06-24-2016, 09:55 PM
Because the auto-censors on these boards are notoriously hypersensitive. They used to censor the word 'beaver,' leading to much confusion when talking about AC3's wildlife :p

Hell, I'm surprised '@ss' isn't fully censored, and we aren't typing ******in's Creed all the time.
It is ridiculous that a forum for a game rated 18+ is censored like this it really shows that the game is really intend for kids and not adults and it's probably why the games are so dumbed down

Black_Widow9
06-25-2016, 01:31 AM
It is ridiculous that a forum for a game rated 18+ is censored like this it really shows that the game is really intend for kids and not adults and it's probably why the games are so dumbed down
Actually, while the game is rated high, the forums are all ages. ;)