PDA

View Full Version : Assassins's Creed has become overly politically-liberal

Daniel-the-Bard
05-14-2016, 05:17 AM
The "work of fiction" reminder started out as a good thing: letting everyone know that events in the game are fictional and not actually historical. This was especially needed, due to the way the first few Assassin's Creeds' discredited both Judaism and Christianity. I've always been a fan of the series, and ignored the fantastical story of how Adam and Eve were imprisoned and escaped with an "Apple of Eden". But I think in an effort to be inclusive, you became overly politically-correct, and downright insensitive to all of your more "Conservative" players.

Christianity is the largest religion in the world, yet the development team thought that the politically-correct CE and BCE labeling of years would not offend those of us players who believe in Jesus Christ. BC and AD have been the standard for thousands of years, and were ubiquitous during the time periods that AC takes place in.

This is bad enough, but the most recent installment of the series has a "work of fiction" reminder that downplays religion and includes "sexual orientations and gender identities." I do not believe that those last two are necessary in a historical game that has nothing to do with sexuality or modern politics. And as conservatives, several of my friends and I find the inclusion of sexuality and gender identity to be a slap in the face to people who would rather not have a liberal agenda shoved down their throats when they play a video game.

Maybe you could offer a toggle to switch between BC and BCE, like kph and mph in racing games? And the new "reminder" at the beginning should probably stay the way it has always been up until AC: Syndicate.

Megas_Doux
05-14-2016, 05:29 AM
Interestingly enough, I think AC used to be much more edgy, or by your, account 'liberal'........

LoyalACFan
05-14-2016, 06:04 AM
The "work of fiction" reminder started out as a good thing

No it didn't, it was an ***-covering technique from its very inception

letting everyone know that events in the game are fictional and not actually historical

As if magical mind-controlling apples and life-saving haystacks weren't enough of an indication

This was especially needed

No it wasn't

due to the way the first few Assassin's Creeds' discredited both Judaism and Christianity

And Islam and Hinduism and Buddhism and Sikhism and Scientology and Rastafarianism and Zoroastrianism

I've always been a fan of the series

noice

ignored the fantastical story of how Adam and Eve were imprisoned and escaped with an "Apple of Eden"

Just call them Jeff and Cindy and you're all good homie

But I think in an effort to be inclusive, you became overly politically-correct

*le gasp, not inclusiveness!

and downright insensitive to all of your more "Conservative" players.

do tell

Christianity is the largest religion in the world

sincerest 'gratz on the proliferation of your faith, brah

yet the development team thought that the politically-correct CE and BCE

those meddling developers and their dog, too

labeling of years

such a contentious issue atm

would not offend those of us players who believe in Jesus Christ.

but dem devs was WRONG, lel

BC and AD have been the standard for thousands of years

Meh, 1200 tops

and were ubiquitous during the time periods that AC takes place in.

Just like scabies!

This is bad enough

So bad, mmhh

but the most recent installment of the series has a "work of fiction" reminder

dammit, still?

that downplays religion and includes "sexual orientations and gender identities."

it's almost like it was never meant to include, but to cover Ubisoft asses

I do not believe that those last two are necessary

far less necessary than top hats, amirite?

in a historical game that has nothing to do with sexuality or modern politics.

you are correct, homosexuality was invented by Nikita Khrushchev in 1966 to destroy America

And as conservatives, several of my friends and I

wait, you're a conservative? THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING

find the inclusion of sexuality and gender identity

so you found it? Cool, can you show me where it was in Syndicate?

to be a slap in the face

grandma, what violent metaphors you have

to people who would rather not have a liberal agenda

damn lefty planners everywhere smh

shoved down their throats

huehuehue

when they play a video game.

like JOHN CENAAAAAAAA

Maybe you could offer a toggle to switch between BC and BCE

it should actually be a full-blown gameplay mechanic wherein you have to parkour across platforms made of BC, AD, BCE, CE, and butthurt to save the day

like kph and mph in racing games?

no, kph is for euro commies and commies suck

And the new "reminder" at the beginning should probably stay the way it has always been up until AC: Syndicate.

it should actually die in a fire

What I've Learned From This Post

-French fries rule
-Harry Potter drools
-The BCE time scale is an arbitrary renaming of the traditional Anno Domini scheme that changes nothing and means nothing but people are crying about it like Satan is holding an all-Bible bonfire inside St. Peter's Basilica

~El Fin~

lol jk

VestigialLlama4
05-14-2016, 06:29 AM
Interestingly enough, I think AC used to be much more edgy, or by your, account 'liberal'........

People missed UNITY, an actually fascist game, where the poor are shown as evil rabble, the one Assassin who seems to like them is a traitor and speaks like a lower class Englishman and the game seems to pause dramatically whenever Napoleon appears.

But I think in an effort to be inclusive, you became overly politically-correct, and downright insensitive to all of your more "Conservative" players.

Alright, firstly what exactly do you mean by Conservative? Conservative means different things in different nations. The British Conservative Party, currently in office in England, is okay with gay rights and abortion for instance. France's UMP, a centrist party made headway in passing laws to preserve the environment. Likewise some people who are conservative don't consider themselves Christians or for that matter religious at all.

Ubisoft Montreal which makes these games derive from Canadian and French society and tradition. If you want to discuss actual politics rather than issues and hobby horses today, then Assassin's Creed is a classically liberal game series, i.e. it is to the right of American liberals. What might be called Libertarian. The only really left-wing games are I'd argue Assassin's Creed III and Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag, and even then they atoned for that with ROGUE, a hymn to white supremacy with your hero being an Irish boot-licker who becomes a lackey of the British Empire. It's generally critical of mob violence, the one game that tackles mass movements, as in UNITY uses an extreme misinterpretation and is heavily sympathetic to the King and Queen and persecuted priests and nuns. Their game Assassin's Creed Chronicles likewise brings poor Anastasia, aka emblem of Tsarist nostalgia, back from the dead and reimagines her as a plucky teenager. Likewise the Assassin's Creed has many noble kings who are presented in a positive light: like King Richard I, Lorenzo il Magnifico, Suleiman the Magnificent, Queen Victoria. The reason being that Canada has never had an anti-monarchical government and remained a loyal member of the British Commonwealth, and since Ubisoft Montreal has recieved very generous tax breaks from the Canadian government, they obviously don't want to step on too many toes.

Likewise the game is not anti-religious as you assume. The most openly anti-religious statements always and I do mean ''always'' come from Templars, who are the bad guys. For all your touting of political correctness, the games don't feature many religious minorities. There are no Jews in AC1 and AC2, even if this was the Italian Renaissance and a flowering of Jewish culture, and a time when there were famously documented communities of Jews in Rome and Venice. The only Jewish characters in the game are in Syndicate, Benjamin Disraeli and Karl Marx, and Disraeli is shown as a foolish fop who is second banana to his wife while Marx is presented as a hypocrite who bites the hand that feeds them. From watchin these games you will never know Jewish persecution was ever a thing in European history. According to AC, persecution of minorites is only something that Americans do to one another which is why all those political stuff comes in AC3 and Black Flag.

In other words, the game has a kind of anti-American Euroconservative and classical liberal view. It's about touristy visions of European history which is presented in a far more sanitized way than other cultures, and there is a trace of anti-semitism underneath the game's view of history. It paints the French Revolution in UNITY as an entirely bad thing when one of its biggest achievements was equal rights for Jews and Protestants, which the game doesn't mention because of if it did, then Arno would come off as an actual Nazi rather than the disguised and hidden one he is.

Sigma 1313
05-14-2016, 06:40 AM
Thank you Loyal for making me laugh for a solid minute. And OP, does it really matter that they included the word gender identity? They included a character that was trans, and so they didn't get people butthurt, they included that. They aren't trying to slight you anyone for that matter. They're just trying to make the game they wanted and not get *****ed at by SJWs (and conservatives). And if you look at the games the first two had characters that were mainly atheists or desists, then most other games completely skip religious topics. I think regardless of your political and religious beliefs, including gender identities to cover their asses from a group who hounded them for not having playable female characters in the previous game is a non issue. It's just so somebody can't try to sue and claim hate speech and discrimination, and **** like that. Most conservatives I know are fairly against social justice and it's whining. So why are you doing the same thing (with different topics)? The same applies for BCE vs BC. BC stands for Before Christ, a term that can be called inaccurate due to the debate around the historicity of christ and possible errors within the calculation of year when the catholic church switched to the Gregorian Calendar (introduced in 1582). Saying BCE (or before the common era) is nearly un-debatable with it's accuracy. Again, even if you believe in Jesus, BCE is more accurate in its meaning than BC, making it a more logical choice for giving the dates prior to when Christ would have been born.

I'd also like to say I agree with above poster talking about the poor representation of history in most regards. I would like to say that Altair seemed to be an atheist rather than a Shiite. Ezio may have also been a deist, but perhaps he was more of a non-practicing catholic.

Jessigirl2013
05-14-2016, 12:59 PM
I didn't get the whole thing with changing the disclaimer at the start... It was pretty cool that it had the same one on all the games.:rolleyes:

Given the fact that Ned Wyatt was promoted like hell and then got what.... 3 cutscenes of character development. (Even the database entry is shockingly badly done) I have no idea why they felt the need to change it.

LieutenantRex
05-14-2016, 08:50 PM
The "work of fiction" reminder started out as a good thing: letting everyone know that events in the game are fictional and not actually historical. This was especially needed, due to the way the first few Assassin's Creeds' discredited both Judaism and Christianity. I've always been a fan of the series, and ignored the fantastical story of how Adam and Eve were imprisoned and escaped with an "Apple of Eden". But I think in an effort to be inclusive, you became overly politically-correct, and downright insensitive to all of your more "Conservative" players.

Christianity is the largest religion in the world, yet the development team thought that the politically-correct CE and BCE labeling of years would not offend those of us players who believe in Jesus Christ. BC and AD have been the standard for thousands of years, and were ubiquitous during the time periods that AC takes place in.

This is bad enough, but the most recent installment of the series has a "work of fiction" reminder that downplays religion and includes "sexual orientations and gender identities." I do not believe that those last two are necessary in a historical game that has nothing to do with sexuality or modern politics. And as conservatives, several of my friends and I find the inclusion of sexuality and gender identity to be a slap in the face to people who would rather not have a liberal agenda shoved down their throats when they play a video game.

Maybe you could offer a toggle to switch between BC and BCE, like kph and mph in racing games? And the new "reminder" at the beginning should probably stay the way it has always been up until AC: Syndicate.

I hope you know that by holding any sort of conservative ideology, you are abetting in the hindrance of humanity's progress. It is by aspiring to live in or emulate an aggrandized past that one can easily dimiss and ignore the realities of the present and the estimated ones of the future. Unwillingness to adapt and change in the face of ineluctable societal, economical, and political advancement will cause the withering and death of an already-dying contingent of society, one of which you constitute.

Conservatism in any form delays the inevitable, and in the context in which you employ and follow it, you assert the strong implication that you are a backwards, privileged, anti social-justice, politically incorrect, regressive, straight white male who cannot stomach even the slightest concept of change to your fragile perception of the world around you. Why else do you waste precious moments of your life writing a long, contrived argument replete with strawmen and inaccuracies on a video game forums board protesting a liberal agenda in an industry and company that's always been moderately liberal?

Daniel-the-Bard
05-14-2016, 10:12 PM
Thanks for the replies, guys. I agree with Jessigirl2013; it was cool that the disclaimer was always the same.
It seems that a lot of the stuff they do is to prevent themselves from getting sued, but they do skew history to tell a good story, so it makes sense to have a disclaimer. Unfortunately, I think they are shifting left in the series because they're getting political pressure from people who aren't even fans of the series, like the SWJ's behind "Gamergate."

I just think the games shouldn't be so political in a modern sense. Changing AD to CE in a historical game is telling bad history in my opinion, as CE is a rather new labeling. And the gay rights people should just be happy with the insinuation that Leonardo da Vinci was gay; I don't think the disclaimer should've been changed.

The reason I wrote this rant is because most of the media is so liberal these days, and so is my favorite game series. Although most millennials are more liberal, I want to point out that young Conservatives do exist. I feel like my ideologies are being ignored by this series. I think all political identities should be represented, or politics should be left out completely.

SixKeys
05-15-2016, 01:05 AM
Cry moar.

BATISTABUS
05-15-2016, 01:42 AM

Every modern academic field that deals with history referrers to events taking place before and during the Common Era. Seeing how the Animus was created by people who we assume have received higher education, it makes sense in terms of the narrative, if nothing else.

I don't know why you would be offended that a game doesn't utilize an outdated age system. Ubisoft refusing to accept/promote your beliefs should not be insulting to you.

"sexual orientations and gender identities."
The game is made by a diverse team. Should they hide this fact? It was not acknowledged in past games, but that doesn't mean it wasn't true. You might be surprised to find out the sexual orientation of some of the series writers...

...if this is a troll post, then gr8 b8.

AdrianJacek
05-15-2016, 08:19 AM
The game is made by a diverse team. Should they hide this fact? It was not acknowledged in past games, but that doesn't mean it wasn't true. You might be surprised to find out the sexual orientation of some of the series writers...

Weeeell....
"Inspired by historical events and characters, this work of fiction was designed, developed and produced by a multicultural team of various religious faiths and beliefs."

You could eaisly argue the "beliefs" part refers to beliefs in general, not just religious ones. Which would include the belief in one's sexual orientation and gender identity.

SixKeys
05-15-2016, 05:56 PM
Weeeell....
"Inspired by historical events and characters, this work of fiction was designed, developed and produced by a multicultural team of various religious faiths and beliefs."

You could eaisly argue the "beliefs" part refers to beliefs in general, not just religious ones. Which would include the belief in one's sexual orientation and gender identity.

That's ridiculous. One does not require "belief" to have a sexual orientation or gender identity. Would you also argue that it's a "belief" what one's skin color is?

VestigialLlama4
05-15-2016, 07:05 PM
To get back to the topic. Assassin's Creed is not really politically liberal in the contemporary American sense.

Politically the games are largely quite "chickens--t" at least in terms of any political message, the exceptions I'd argue are AC3 and Black Flag which are liberal games in the main. The series is not as conservative as the Bioshock games (whiich at least have the maturity to coherently come down in favor of a coherent political belief) but it isn't really liberal like say The Simpsons are liberal.

To put things in perspective, I can imagine that an AC game or story set in the Civil War era has the main plot being the Templars attempting to building a centralized state by fooling the North into thinking the war is about slavery rather than states rights, and that the South were manipulated by the Templars. In other words, I can see Ubisoft indulging in Lost Cause historiography since they take similar views of other conflicts.

Black_Widow9
05-15-2016, 09:43 PM

Hello,

The Assassin's Creed games have always featured a diverse cast of characters and is a work of fiction created by a diverse team. It isn't meant to downplay or insult anyone. I don't understand where "the most recent installment" has been any different in terms of diversity than past games. Leonardo da Vinci is a prime example and he appeared in Assassin's Creed II, so saying it has "become overly political", isn't really true.

AdrianJacek
05-15-2016, 10:00 PM
That's ridiculous. One does not require "belief" to have a sexual orientation or gender identity. Would you also argue that it's a "belief" what one's skin color is?

Well, skin colour is not linked, in any way, shape or form, to subjective experiences and feelings.

Gender identity is, on emotional level, who you want to be.

Sexual attraction is a subjective experience of a person.

Sexual orientation... Well, sometimes the phrase “sexual orientation” is used to refer to the phenomena of different individuals finding different sexes sexually attractive, and sometimes it is used as a theory to explain the phenomenon. I'd rather use "sexual attraction" do describe the former. The latter is a folk theory. A folk theory is basically an explanation of something created before actual science is able to properly explain that thing. Phlogiston, for example, was a folk theory. The folk theory of sexual orientation tells us there is a theoretical biological trait which is assigned to individuals. Supposedly individuals receive that trait through a currently unknown biological process.

Now I'm not saying that in the future science will not be able to prove that the current folk theory of sexual orientation was right all along. But as long as that doesn't happen it's a folk theory nontheless.

SixKeys
05-15-2016, 10:52 PM
Well, skin colour is not linked, in any way, shape or form, to subjective experiences and feelings.

Gender identity is, on emotional level, who you want to be.

Sexual attraction is a subjective experience of a person.

Sexual orientation... Well, sometimes the phrase “sexual orientation” is used to refer to the phenomena of different individuals finding different sexes sexually attractive, and sometimes it is used as a theory to explain the phenomenon. I'd rather use "sexual attraction" do describe the former. The latter is a folk theory. A folk theory is basically an explanation of something created before actual science is able to properly explain that thing. Phlogiston, for example, was a folk theory. The folk theory of sexual orientation tells us there is a theoretical biological trait which is assigned to individuals. Supposedly individuals receive that trait through a currently unknown biological process.

Now I'm not saying that in the future science will not be able to prove that the current folk theory of sexual orientation was right all along. But as long as that doesn't happen it's a folk theory nontheless.

Sexual orientation is what tells you what kind of person you would like to mate with and whom you rather didn't. It's not conjecture or theory if the thought of having sex with someone not of your preferred gender makes you physically ill.

Gender identity is a little more vague, but I won't tell someone "that's just your belief" if they tell me they're a man after I mistake them for a woman. Men and women exist as recognized gender binaries. Society as a whole accepts that there are different genders. They categorize these genders based on personal beliefs, like the belief that women are inherently inferior, that all men have dangly parts (trying not to set off the swear filter here) etc. Those beliefs, those categorizations? Don't negate the fact that gender as a concept exists.

crusader_prophet
05-16-2016, 03:44 AM
Lol why do I not feel like having a sophisticated response to the OP.

cawatrooper9
05-16-2016, 03:25 PM
Politics are a complicated thing, so I hesitate to make generalizations. That being said, the fact that liberals are thought of as "progressive" isn't without merit. That's not to vilify conservatives or anything, but it's somewhat true to say that liberalism is typically a driving force behind major civil rights issues. Conservatism in America has its benefits too, particularly on fiscal issues, but when it comes to social issues, people typically tend to side with liberals- so of course the Assassins, ever the champions of freedom and human rights, would side that way.

Also (and I'm not 100% if this is true), I've read that what we call "liberal" in America is actually leaning somewhat conservative in many other countries, with many European nations "liberals" falling where we'd consider to be a more far left. If this is the case, one might even argue that the Assassins, from a European based company, are actually pretty moderate in their political leanings.

VestigialLlama4
05-16-2016, 05:04 PM
Also (and I'm not 100% if this is true), I've read that what we call "liberal" in America is actually leaning somewhat conservative in many other countries, with many European nations "liberals" falling where we'd consider to be a more far left. If this is the case, one might even argue that the Assassins, from a European based company, are actually pretty moderate in their political leanings.

Bear in mind that in America, politics has historically been quite centrist on a range of issues, and the parties generally subscribe to pragmatism and consensus, which means that if one party or President decisively wins and puts forth his policy or agenda (Roosevelt, Reagan) the opposition party will shift to the new centre. There are exceptions of course, but this has generally been the case.

Liberalism in America has aspects of social democracy in the European context. This is because Franklin D. Roosevelt during the New Deal introduced "socialist" policies but he and his men were extremely careful to avoid the "S" word and especially the "C" word. They presented it to the people in the context of Keynesian liberalism, what is called today "positive liberty". In America, liberal has a broader and more generous definition than it does in Europe, especially France. This also means that Socialism in America, especially that identified by a certain American presidential candidate, is actually still fairly moderate compared to European socialism. In America it's Conservative-Liberal, in Europe, it's Conservative-Liberal-Socialist, or Right Wing-Centrism-Left Wing.

In the case of Ubisoft and Assassin's Creed, you have two competing traditions. One is France, the parent company, Second is Canada, the studio based in Montreal that produced each Assassin's Creed game. France, since the 80s, contrary to American media perceptions, has been fairly centrist and generally anti-socialist. Canada is a little more complex, in that it derives from the English Parliamentary tradition and is still a member of the UK Commonwealth. French Canadians trace their traditions to monarchical France and not republican France.

So politically, the games were compromised from having a truly "liberal" American perspective.

RinoTheBouncer
05-16-2016, 08:49 PM
Does it really bother you to know that the games were made by people of different gender identities and sexual orientations? my friend, this world has over 7 billion people, many of them are homosexual, heterosexual, bisexual, transsexual, transgendered, males, females, muslims, christians, jews, atheists..etc. It is not shoving anything around anyone's through to acknowledge these people.

You are conservative, good for you. The people who made the game are making in a way so as not to make anyone feel excluded and is indeed made by a team of people of different races, genders, religions and sexual orientations, so they're not really gonna omit that part just so conservative people do not get offended by the fact that these people do exist. They're not gonna play along the imagination that some people have that these people are wrong and/or non-existent.

On the contrary, I salut them for being inclusive and I congratulate them for not alienating any part of their fan base.

I don't wanna be the person who tells people "not to play a game" if they don't like something about it, but there are a lot of movies, games, books, paintings, music videos, songs..etc. that are somewhat offensive and/or unacceptable or towards some people or certain cultures. I always lean towards them avoiding those products, instead of asking these products to be toned down or changed/eliminated.

Abelzorus-Prime
05-25-2016, 02:41 AM
The entertainment industry has always been slightly more liberal, and as long as they are blatanly insulting Conservatives is no problems. Just think of it as art or literature, if the people behind the pen or brush are Liberal then their art or literature will have a liberal stance. If the game industry was more Conservative we would have more conservative themed games. As a Conservative you should take fault at the art but the society and its agents.

I agree with Jessgirl2013

It is clear the series iss atheistic.

Jessigirl2013
05-25-2016, 05:59 PM
Thanks for the replies, guys. I agree with Jessigirl2013; it was cool that the disclaimer was always the same.
It seems that a lot of the stuff they do is to prevent themselves from getting sued, but they do skew history to tell a good story, so it makes sense to have a disclaimer. Unfortunately, I think they are shifting left in the series because they're getting political pressure from people who aren't even fans of the series, like the SWJ's behind "Gamergate."

I just think the games shouldn't be so political in a modern sense. Changing AD to CE in a historical game is telling bad history in my opinion, as CE is a rather new labeling. And the gay rights people should just be happy with the insinuation that Leonardo da Vinci was gay; I don't think the disclaimer should've been changed.

The reason I wrote this rant is because most of the media is so liberal these days, and so is my favorite game series. Although most millennials are more liberal, I want to point out that young Conservatives do exist. I feel like my ideologies are being ignored by this series. I think all political identities should be represented, or politics should be left out completely.

I agree.... I practically find it shocking how they glossed over racism in Syndicate... Like are we to believe that Henry Green never had any trouble commanding the respect of Jacobs rooks...

D.I.D.
05-26-2016, 01:02 PM
I agree.... I practically find it shocking how they glossed over racism in Syndicate... Like are we to believe that Henry Green never had any trouble commanding the respect of Jacobs rooks...

It's not necessarily wrong that they didn't show that.

White people often assume they are "better" than their forebears, that they are constantly at the peak of a rising crest of social progress. This is not true. Wealthier people often assume that racism is more of a problem of the working class than the middle and upper classes, and this is not true either. It is not the working class's racism that prevents non-white people from getting fair treatment from a job interview panel, for example. We're also prone to assume that the racism of the past is always like the racism we see today, when in fact racism is deeply circumstantial. The kind of racism common in white societies today is largely a reaction to a perceived over-saturation of people perceived as foreign, and is the product of a complicated relationship of factors--not all of which have always been relevant.

Historically, London been multicultural for hundreds of years. Black people could be found at every level of status in the Tudor Courts from musicians to equivalent aristocracy. Elizabeth I exploited her close connections with Muslim royals and trading families in alliance against the Spanish. Cities such as Liverpool and London were trading centres of immense size and importance, and where you find trade on that scale you find global cultural integration, non-white communities inside majority white societies. British African communities have existed since at least the early 1600s. By the mid-1700s, black people comprised 1-3% of London's population, although the population was later diluted further with the swelling of the city and the influx of white people from rural England. There were black intellectual celebrities of this period, their thoughts published as books: Ignatius Sancho, Olaudah Equiano, Quobna Ottobah. Equiano married a white English woman and raised their children in London. Samuel Coleridge Taylor, alive during the events of the ACS/JTR story, was a black Londoner who studied at the Royal College of Music and became a celebrated musical composer. Henry Green would not have been a shock to ordinary Londoners (if we ignore the visual appearance of his assassin costume, anyway).

Look at the markedly different ways Mary Seacole was treated by London society at this time (c.1856, slightly earlier than ACS). To ordinary Londoners, she was a hero of the Crimean War, beloved by the families of the men she'd rescued and healed from the battlefield. While upper class society worked angrily against her in rather disgustingly racist ways, she was Guest of Honour at a celebration dinner attended by thousands of grateful soldiers. Newspapers reported the huge crowds that came to welcome her. It was the upper class who won, successfully muting Seacole eventually and affirming Florence Nightingale as the medical hero of that war (despite her comparatively poor success rate). Ironically for this thread, AC missed a trick here and spoke only of Nightingale.

Racism certainly existed, but whether it especially needed to be depicted is another question. Much like Evie's story: did we need to see Evie suffer discrimination to make her story complete, or to make it good? There is sexism and racism today, but is entertainment media doing a good thing if it puts racism/sexism centre-stage for every non-white and/or non-male character? This can be counter-productive, and besides that, AC has limited space in which to tell any kind of story at all.

Abelzorus-Prime
05-26-2016, 05:28 PM
Racism is a minor Victorian London is a minor issue compared to an event like the American Civil War.