PDA

View Full Version : FB on dual processor systems?

Odranoel1
05-26-2004, 04:58 PM
Anybody running this baby on a dual CPU machine (dual Athlon MP, or Xeon, or whatever?)

Any thoughts on the matter? Im thinking of a dual Opteron system

Odranoel1
05-26-2004, 04:58 PM
Anybody running this baby on a dual CPU machine (dual Athlon MP, or Xeon, or whatever?)

Any thoughts on the matter? Im thinking of a dual Opteron system

AusDerReihe
05-26-2004, 06:17 PM
AFAIK even though winXP/NT/2k supports multiple CPU's, all programs needs to be programmed specific to use them.

other OS's like linux and BeOS on the other hand, distribute workloads on the different CPU's. not sure how this works with games though.

this isn't to be regarded as facts, only my perception of the matter.

http://www.cetanu.net/sig.jpg
-[AusDerReihe's Law: The total ammount of your whining will allways be less than the whinig you will get in return for whining in the first place]-

_54th_Target
05-26-2004, 06:47 PM
As AusDerReihe said games have to specifically written to take advantage of SMP before you will see any advantage with dual processors. I have tried this.
There is no advantage to using duallies in IL2. Looking at the performance tab in the task manager, you will see that either one or the other processor is working on the game, not both together.
If you're building a gaming machine, spend your money on the most powerful processor that you can afford and fast memory. Don't bother with dual processors unless you are building a server or have an application that is written to take advantage of SMP.

_54th_Target

Zero Niner
05-26-2004, 07:23 PM
IL2FB does make use of HT, Alt-Tab to task manager shows both CPUs in use.

Zeroneg1
05-26-2004, 07:32 PM
As much as alll the info about specifically writing out muti-threaded apps is correct and all i for one am running a Dual Athlon MP and using it for FB. I have yet to see how FB utiltizes the CPU's but I never had any problems and this same machine run Il-2, Fb and now AEP 2.01 fine.

Although FB and other game apps are not multi-threaded, having two CPU's does help when once CPU is maxed out some of the other chores like HD access and data transfer are handled by the other CPU if the first one is handling say the geometry processing/translation and rendering.

I am running mine with a Quadro FX 2000 and although I am getting lower FPS than most people with a 9800 PRO card, I got no reason to switch to those yet and not have the performance I need for my 3D apps.

I cannot comment about an Opteron system since the Win32S WinXP OS is in beta and is quite picky with the drivers it likes to run on and a whole other set of problems. I wonder tho if FB will run on it. You might want to ask on :

http://www.2cpu.com

And go to the forums and browse through there. This is the best place for those contemplating on building a dual system as well as asking for help. I wont go back to running singles, not ever since I can 'render frames out' while I play DVD's while browsing the net and checking e-mail http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

PS: Ok I just checked the duals performance with FB, the 2nd CPU gets used a lot more, around 60-85% fluctuation while the 1st CPU gets around 10-25% use. It makes sense that the resources are distributed that way since more non multi0threaded apps behave the same way. I am sure I can switch the CPU affinity If I need to. I hope this helps.

[This message was edited by Zeroneg1 on Wed May 26 2004 at 06:40 PM.]

Slammin_
05-26-2004, 11:37 PM
My last three rigs were intel dual cpu. My current is a P4 2.8 HT though. Regardless of what you've heard, everything seems to run smoother with dual CPU, regardless of the application being hyperthreaded or not. IL-2 definitely likes dual cpu better than single. Running on a single 1 GHZ P-3, you have to crank the settings down some whereas running the same machine with two 1GHZ P-3's allows you to max things out with no hiccups.

The only reason my current rig is not dual is because I was trying to keep cost down, and also figured HT may offer some benefit. I don't feel as though HT is offering the same performance benefit as true dual cpu and I think my next rig will again be a dual cpu setup. Windows XP really does a great job at distributing the load across two cpu's also.

Odranoel1
05-27-2004, 11:01 AM
Hi all

Well thank you so much! This is very helpful. I conclude that the matter is worth exploring and will visit the 2cpu.com web site.

I tend to "instinctively" agree that even a single threaded game would benefit from a second cpu because there's so much going on in the system anyway. On-line gaming tasks for example, but there are many OS-related tasks that eat cpu and cause brief but noticeable drops in available processing power.

I hope that Maddox Games will consider adding full blown multi-cpu capability for future sims. There is an industry trend towards accessible multiprocessing (dual core CPUs are one example) and I think this is much needed.

Good flying all - and thanks again http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

1.JaVA_Razer
05-27-2004, 11:33 AM
Well, I think you should ask Gibbage also

depends on your setup but he's running dual Xeons. adn he games a lot

No matter how they perform,my next computer is a dual CPU system. most likly AMD 64 FX's. I am prepared to spend to money but I do think it'll helpe ven if the game isn't programmed for it because indeed,one CPU will do the geometry and info rom the game and the other will just run windows and all background prorams

------------------------------
http://www.entity-project.tk
------------------------------
AMD 2500+ @3200+
Asus A7n8X-X
512MB DDR 3200 Apacer
Hercules 9200(soon to have a X800 pro)
2Coolermaster fans
Thermalright SP 97 CPU cooler
Sunbeam rheobus

Odranoel1
05-27-2004, 12:09 PM
Interesting. Actually I have another question: with today's high end technology (9800 XP and PIV 3.4 or Athlon FX) is FP CPU-bound or GPU-bound.

If I had the hardware I woul do the following to answer this.
1) Run a "heavy" track with normal PC settings and record FPS data.
2) UNDERclock the CPU by say 20% and make sure the AGP is not impacted.
If FPS drop by 20% or so - the answer is: CPU bound. In that case a dual CPU system will bring a lot of of improvement.