PDA

View Full Version : Ubisoft policy on modding?

VernalBreak
05-03-2016, 09:55 PM
So I did some research and could not come across some type of modding policy for ubisoft. I haven't installed any yet because I wouldn't want to do anything that could potentially result in breaking policy so i have to ask: If I install like a texture mod or something for the original assassin's creed would I be breaking any sort of ubisoft policy? I hope this is the right forum section for that topic.

UbiChrisMANG
05-03-2016, 10:16 PM
Hello! The following link details our Terms of Service and includes a lot of parts that lead me to believe that modding of any kind is not allowed. They document is very large and the parts concerning modding are scattered throughout, so once you go to the link you can use "CTRL-F" on your keyboard to open the browser's "Find" function, then type in "mod" and the web page will highlight all instances where the word is used. That way you can simply scroll the web page to read the parts relevant to you.

https://www.ubisoft.com/en-US/terms-of-service.html

VernalBreak
05-04-2016, 05:51 AM
I read over most of the entire page and I am still a little uncertain as when it mentioned modding they were talking about the ubisoft servers which the original ac doesn't have. I think for now I will stay away from modding as not to unintentionally break policy.

Thanks for the help!

bukaDar
05-04-2016, 03:15 PM
Hi, i have an amazing idea for first person shooting game, its historic and its about real battlefields. I chose to contact your company because you have amazing game play engines and it will give the player the most combat adventure he can get with the powerful stroyline.
Contact me for further information and sharing the idea.

UbiChrisMANG
05-04-2016, 08:08 PM
I read over most of the entire page and I am still a little uncertain as when it mentioned modding they were talking about the ubisoft servers which the original ac doesn't have. I think for now I will stay away from modding as not to unintentionally break policy.

Thanks for the help!

You know, I am still uncertain myself and this still needs an official answer. I have sent an inquiry about it to our Legal department. I've not tried to contact them before so I have no idea on a turnaround time for an answer but if they give me any information on this I will post it here in this thread.

UbiChrisMANG
05-04-2016, 08:17 PM
Hi, i have an amazing idea for first person shooting game, its historic and its about real battlefields. I chose to contact your company because you have amazing game play engines and it will give the player the most combat adventure he can get with the powerful stroyline.
Contact me for further information and sharing the idea.

Here is the official policy on unsolicited game submissions. If after reading this you still wish to submit an idea it looks like from the language here that you need to submit it in writing. I have no idea where to direct you to send it to us and given the policy here I am guessing we do not have a system set up to accept it. Thus you will need to search the internet for where to send this (in the form of a physical letter). Anyway, here is the official policy:

Excerpt taken from: https://www.ubisoft.com/en-US/contact-us.html

"Ubisoft's Unsolicited Ideas Policy
Ubisoft appreciates your enthusiasm and the time and energy you spend playing our games. Ubisoft’s company policy, however, does not allow us or any of our employees to accept or consider any unsolicited ideas, suggestions, proposals, comments or materials (“Submissions”). The purpose of this policy is to avoid potential misunderstandings or disputes if products, services or features developed or published by Ubisoft might appear to be similar or identical to ideas that may have independently occurred to you.

Terms of Idea Submissions
If, despite our request that you not send us your ideas, you still choose to submit them to Ubisoft, then regardless of what your letter says, the following terms shall apply to your Submissions. You agree that:

1. The Submissions shall be deemed non-confidential and non-proprietary.

2. Ubisoft shall have no obligations concerning the Submissions, including but not limited to, no obligation to review or return any materials or acknowledge receipt of any Submissions.

3. Ubisoft may use, redistribute, or disclose the Submissions worldwide without any restriction, in any way and for any purpose whatsoever, commercial or otherwise, without any compensation or credit obligation to you or any third party.

Feedback
While we cannot accept unsolicited ideas, Ubisoft is always pleased to receive feedback regarding its existing features. It’s just one more way that Ubisoft can learn how to best satisfy your needs. Please only provide specific feedback on existing features, and do not include ideas that our policy will not permit us to accept or consider. We simply request that you send us your feedback following the directions above.

Any feedback you provide is deemed to be non-confidential and non-proprietary. Ubisoft shall be free to use such feedback on an unrestricted basis, without any compensation or credit obligation to you or any third party."

VernalBreak
05-04-2016, 09:08 PM
Okay thanks for contacting the legal department!

VernalBreak
08-24-2016, 02:09 AM
Its been 3 months and 19 days. Still no response?

SanctusLupus
08-24-2016, 12:26 PM
Hello! The following link details our Terms of Service and includes a lot of parts that lead me to believe that modding of any kind is not allowed. They document is very large and the parts concerning modding are scattered throughout, so once you go to the link you can use "CTRL-F" on your keyboard to open the browser's "Find" function, then type in "mod" and the web page will highlight all instances where the word is used. That way you can simply scroll the web page to read the parts relevant to you.

https://www.ubisoft.com/en-US/terms-of-service.html

Will UBIsoft ever come around to allow modding and to encourage the modding community? It allows for hidden talent to be found and it adds to the game content and extends the life of a game and encourages replayability. It would also be awesome if they actually would allow it not only on PC but on consoles much like their competition is innovating to do just that.

UbiChrisMANG
08-24-2016, 09:26 PM
I'm afraid Legal never did get back to me on this so I would consider the excerpt I posted in post #6 to be the closest answer I can give on this.

Sanctus: if they ever do allow it they will announce it for sure. I apologize for also not being able to answer YOUR question here as well. Unfortunately this is the type of decision making we don't have a hand in on the forums and I would likely find out about such a thing on the same day as they announce it to the public.

VernalBreak
08-30-2016, 06:34 AM
That is disappointing. Really wish I would actually know if I could install a mod. I appreciate all the help you gave me even if the final result was unclear.