PDA

View Full Version : Assassin's Creed, Marketing and Tourism

SuperPassaro
05-03-2016, 04:17 AM
Hey guys,

I am finishing my graduation this semester in University of Sao Paulo. Writing a thesis a about Assassin's Creed, Marketing and Tourism, resuming.

My paper subjects Games as marketing tool to create and develop touristic products, focusing the Assassin's Creed II as a case study. One of my arguments says that the representation of the city in game can increase the tourist curiosity and consequently their visit to Florence.

I saw there are tours and packages offered by local tour operator which says that an Assassin's Creed Tour is offered in Florence. I found here a topic telling how everyone will miss Leonardo da Vinci, and it was the closest I found.

So, could you please share with your opinions about combining tourism and AC II? Do you have any desire to visit the portrayed cities, and at least looked for it? Have you ever heard about Florence, Tuscany, Venice, Monterriggiori, etc, before play the game?
And so...

Every feeling, opinion, even disagrees will be very helpful.
If there is anyone that doesn't want their posts to be used for this purpose please let me know by sending me a private message.

Well I am looking forward to your reply and thank you very much in advance!

Carolina

Sushiglutton
05-03-2016, 11:48 AM
Labrat #1 reporting in for duty :D!

I actually visited Italy before I played AC2. I visited Florence and Tuscany in one trip and then Venice in another. If I had played AC before I would def had tried to go to Monteriggioni, so yeah the games would have affected my journey. It was a bit spooky to play the games after you have visited some of the places because you get this weird feeling of having been there. I guess this would have been a much stronger feeling had I lived in the cities for a longer time.

I have made a trip in my own country (Sweden) based on a fictional novel (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crusades_trilogy) which was a lot of fun. Having an overarching narrative theme gives a sense of purpose. Of course intellectually it's a bit silly, but in practice it works. Most of the places visited were interesting in their own right and I learned a lot, but thiking about the events of the book brought them to life.

The thing that strikes me about touristing post AC is that it kind of annoys me how I can't climb the buildings. You feel limited, like a passive spectator. In AC you can poke at the world, feel the buildings, change you perspective with the press of a button. This sense of freedom is something only a virtual but interactive medium can give.

Have you played Max Payne 3? Made me curious about Brazil for sure, even though it was not an entirely positive portrayal.

SixKeys
05-03-2016, 01:54 PM
You should contact Loomer979 on Twitter or YouTube. He did an entire video series about visiting several major cities from AC games, comparing the historical versions to their modern counterparts. :)

ze_topazio
05-03-2016, 03:04 PM
I've been fascinated with Italy since forever, as well as the Renaissance and the renaissancist art and architecture, so in that sense AC2 was a dream come true to me, so no, AC2 did not make me want to visit Italy, I already wanted to do that, I'm too POORtuguese for that though, and quite frankly I hate traveling, I'm talking about the act of travel itself not visiting the places, more than 30 minutes seated in a car/bus/train and I start having suicidal thoughts.

ERICATHERINE
05-03-2016, 04:21 PM
I prefer going to Cuba when travelling. I always start by going from one end of beach to the other. That way, I can see many things there is in no tourist tour, like friendly people, living on the beach, sand that has been solidified, solid as rock, crab and other animal, on the beach and around. Then, I take all the tourist tours, one after another to see as much as I can. ^-^

Locopells
05-03-2016, 11:33 PM
Pure coincidence, but happened to visit Venice shortly after seeing the E3 demo for ACII, actually made me more keen to play the game, so a bit the reverse there!

However, I would like to see the other cities someday, and ACII has a lot to do with that so...

LoyalACFan
05-04-2016, 12:19 AM
I think you're certainly on the right track with your thesis :) I've been dying to take a trip to Italy ever since I played AC2, and I've taken a few elective courses in Renaissance painting and architecture as a direct result. I haven't made the trip yet, but I'm saving up some money to go on a European tour after I graduate college.

I think the cool thing about the AC2 tourism in particular is that the major cities haven't changed too dramatically since the time depicted in the game. All of the major landmarks are still there, and stepping into St. Mark's Square in Venice (digitally via Google Earth, in my case :p) is like taking a step directly into the game, whereas some of the other cities we've seen in the games (especially in the American trilogy) would be completely unrecognizable today.

HDinHB
05-04-2016, 01:04 AM
I had heard of Florence, Tuscany, and Venice to be sure, but I had never heard of Monteriggioni or San Gimignano before. Now I will definitely visit them when I someday get to Italy. I actually bought a couple of bottles of wine from San Gimi I spied in a wine store just because I had "visited" the town in AC2.

You should contact Loomer979 on Twitter or YouTube. He did an entire video series about visiting several major cities from AC games, comparing the historical versions to their modern counterparts. :)

That was my first thought too: Loomer's Assassin's Creed Pilgrimage https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3i-zZvY3LWNcnxrWZWQGBVB8uGOs8PnE

HDinHB
05-10-2016, 12:20 AM
Here's a Michael Fassbender quote from an article about the movie:

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/movies/la-et-hc-assassins-creed-first-look-20160506-snap-story.html

"That's what's so intriguing for people who love that universe," said Fassbender..."I was talking to a friend recently and he said he was talking to his 14-year-old son about going away on a long weekend together. He said, 'Where do you want to go?' and his son said, 'I want to go to Florence.' He wanted to check out the city because of the game."

ERICATHERINE
05-10-2016, 01:56 AM
Here's a Michael Fassbender quote from an article about the movie:

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/movies/la-et-hc-assassins-creed-first-look-20160506-snap-story.html

About your qote of Fassbender, isn't ac ii a 18+ age game? :confused:

Ureh
05-10-2016, 02:56 AM
About your qote of Fassbender, isn't ac ii a 18+ age game? :confused:

I think ratings are just suggestions, laws don't require them to be followed, so it's up to parents/guardians to determine what the younglings can play.

ERICATHERINE
05-10-2016, 03:18 AM
I think ratings are just suggestions, laws don't require them to be followed, so it's up to parents/guardians to determine what the younglings can play.

Actually, at the wal-mart store where I live, they don't sell the customers a video game that have an higher age rate then the customer who want to buy the game. The last time I went there to buy a game, they wanted me to show them a proof I had the good age. Lucky me, I was 20. Don't know about other wal-mart. I think it's a stupid methode, because they don't do that for prepaid cards while the kids surely know that he can use those to buy the games wal-mart don't let them buy. :-\

SixKeys
05-10-2016, 06:13 PM
As I recently learned, most people here started playing AC between the ages of 11-15, lol. Most parents appear to be oblivious about video game ratings or simply don't care about them. Ubisoft seems to be well aware of this, as their marketing has been geared more and more towards the pre-to-mid-teens crowd in recent years. There were even plans for a LEGO Assassin's Creed at some point, not sure what happened with that.

ERICATHERINE
05-10-2016, 06:51 PM
There were even plans for a LEGO Assassin's Creed at some point, not sure what happened with that.

Yea, at a walmart, I saw a box with lego pieces in it, with the cover showing a lego Ezio using Leonrdo's flying machine. ^-^

Markaccus
05-10-2016, 06:51 PM
Game shops here do not sell 18 rated games to kids. Parents buy them anyway usually. Now, as far as laws about playing them are concerned, i think technically letting your kids play these games COULD be construed as a form of abuse or neglect, but i have never heard of any enforcement. Net result, kids play ac games, and the C.O.D on line lobbies are full of horrible squeeky monsters swearing and threatening sexual violence on peoples mothers.

BananaBlighter
05-10-2016, 06:57 PM
As I recently learned, most people here started playing AC between the ages of 11-15, lol. Most parents appear to be oblivious about video game ratings or simply don't care about them. Ubisoft seems to be well aware of this, as their marketing has been geared more and more towards the pre-to-mid-teens crowd in recent years.

Yep I'm one of them. My parents (and all my friend's parents) are well aware of the ratings, but they let me anyway. And my parents are usually kinda stricter than most with this stuff. I'd never seen a 15 rated film until the age of about 13, while most of my friends would have seen 18 rated films by the age of 12.

I mean, they probably wouldn't let me play Witcher or GTA or something (not that I want to play either of those games) but AC is only really rated 18 for its violence. I own copies of AC1, ACB and ACR that were rated by BBFC (rather than PEGI) who rate the movies here in the UK, and they're all rated 15. PEGI are obviously more strict with violence, but it's really not a big deal, especially when there are probably 12 rated films that are more gory than AC.

I guess it's because with videogames, you're the one committing violent acts, but I don't really think that I'd treat killing a guard in AC the same as killing a real person. I'm well aware that there's a difference and it would emotionally be a lot tougher to actually kill.

I guess it's just ingrained into our instinct that killing is winning, and it's why we get that sense of achievement. I'd say it's a big part of how humans got to where they are now, doing whatever is necessary to pass on their genes. If genetic mutation results in you having more babies, it is more likely to be passed on, that includes the instinct of killing competition and that which threatens your survival.

Anyway, I'd say every gamer I know of my age regularly plays 18 rated games. All my friends except me get the yearly COD, and many have been playing those games since the age of 10 or something.

There were even plans for a LEGO Assassin's Creed at some point, not sure what happened with that.

You can't be serious!!! :p

I would sooo buy all of the sets. I don't play with LEGO anymore, but like many kids, I used to have a deep obsession with it. Now it would be more of a collector's thing.

Yea, at a walmart, I saw a box with lego pieces in it, with the cover showing a lego Ezio using Leonrdo's flying machine. ^-^

Nah, I think that's MEGA BLOKS.

Lol off topic :p

In answer to the OP, I've never actually visited one of the cities because of the games, but the games have definitely increased my interest in doing so.

ERICATHERINE
05-10-2016, 07:02 PM
Game shops here do not sell 18 rated games to kids. Parents buy them anyway usually. Now, as far as laws about playing them are concerned, i think technically letting your kids play these games COULD be construed as a form of abuse or neglect, but i have never heard of any enforcement. Net result, kids play ac games, and the C.O.D on line lobbies are full of horrible squeeky monsters swearing and threatening sexual violence on peoples mothers.

Yea, but thing is, I don't think the consol stores (at least nintendo e shop and the ps store) ask about the age of the customers, so they can just buy prepaid cards, which the stores that sell them never ask the age or use a credit card if they have one. :-\

Markaccus
05-10-2016, 07:04 PM
Id deffo be up for the AC2 locations. Already been to london a few times, but it's not somwhere i am that enthused about, even after ACS. I am also indifferent about Paris. ACU had no sway on me there, either. I always wanted a holiday in the caribbean, but since ACBF id quite like to chill on some of the smaller island beaches for a day.

Yea, but thing is, I don't think the consol stores (at least nintendo e shop and the ps store) ask about the age of the customers, so they can just buy prepaid cards, which the stores that sell them never ask the age or use a credit card if they have one. :-\

It is easier to dupe the on line stores i agree, but you have to lie about your age on setting up the account, and they can ban you if they find out (unlikely as it is). Again, the parents usually end up buying the stuff anyway.

When i first bought the ac2 dlc, i found I could log in on my mothers ps3 (she also loves ac games) and download it there, and she could then play the dlc on her account. So basically, if you had 20 freinds and relatives, you could buy the dlc once, and then give it away to everyone else who has the game. Not sure if more recent dlcs are restricted.

ERICATHERINE
05-10-2016, 07:16 PM
Id deffo be up for the AC2 locations. Already been to london a few times, but it's not somwhere i am that enthused about, even after ACS. I am also indifferent about Paris. ACU had no sway on me there, either. I always wanted a holiday in the caribbean, but since ACBF id quite like to chill on some of the smaller island beaches for a day.

You could like a certain tv show I know, then. I can't put it on the forum, since some sex part of the body are shown, but if you want to see it, it's called "Adam cherche Eve". Sorry I don't know the name in english. I know the translate of the name is Adam search Eve, but I don't know if the name change from english to french. ^-^

Markaccus
05-10-2016, 07:23 PM
You could like a certain tv show I know, then. I can't put it on the forum, since some sex part of the body are shown, but if you want to see it, it's called "Adam cherche Eve". Sorry I don't know the name in english. I know the translate of the name is Adam search Eve, but I don't know if the name change from english to french. ^-^
I googled it, and it come up with a dutch nude dating show called "adam zoekt eva" :eek:

Assassins Doodle!

ERICATHERINE
05-10-2016, 09:38 PM
I googled it, and it come up with a dutch nude dating show called "adam zoekt eva" :eek:

Assassins Doodle!

Yea, but they are on an beach island somewhere in the pacifique ocean. That's what I meant. :rolleyes:

Markaccus
05-10-2016, 10:42 PM
Yea, but they are on an beach island somewhere in the pacifique ocean. That's what I meant. :rolleyes:

Ah right, i see. It didnt explain that in the link I found.

I dont think i would find it easy to chill on a small island beach if I was required to....erm... reveal my tackle in front of cameras :-O
Also, it might sunburn Xo(