PDA

View Full Version : A horse for the newguy?

NedsDead
02-18-2004, 11:10 PM
If my internet connection will cooperate I hope to fly online soon. What plane would be a good choice? I do not want to learn an aircraft that most consider 'unrealistic'. I currently fly around offline in a Hurricane but only because it offers a nice view of the lonely world of AI controlled aircraft and I can only have 3 of them! (I'm still using the new pc to sit on) Life gets in the way sometimes.

NedsDead
02-18-2004, 11:10 PM
If my internet connection will cooperate I hope to fly online soon. What plane would be a good choice? I do not want to learn an aircraft that most consider 'unrealistic'. I currently fly around offline in a Hurricane but only because it offers a nice view of the lonely world of AI controlled aircraft and I can only have 3 of them! (I'm still using the new pc to sit on) Life gets in the way sometimes.

LEXX_Luthor
02-18-2004, 11:15 PM
I~16 is my fave, but watch out for the negative gee cutout, worse than Hurricane, and in turbulent stormy settings will surprise you, and you have to be moving faster than ~200km/hr to re~start engine (same with I~153)

you will still have FB , you will lose nothing ~WUAF_Badsight
I had actually pre ordered CFS3 and I couldnt wait... ~Bearcat99
Gladiator and Falco, elegant weapons of a more civilized age ~ElAurens

NedsDead
02-18-2004, 11:17 PM
I fogot to say "Hi" and "S! All" I've been trying to catch up and read all the information you all have posted here. Lots to learn!

Zen--
02-18-2004, 11:28 PM
As I mentioned in the other thread, welcome to the forums!

I started on the 190A5 back in IL2 because it was my favorite plane. If you don't have a preference yet, there are dozens to choose from.

Two main styles, turn and burn or boom and zoom. In FB the modelling is done where picking the right plane for the job makes a big difference, some planes don't do as well in one as the other and vice versa.

The La7 is a great plane to learn on, it's got great all around performance. Some think it's overdone to one degree or another, I think it leads to bad flying habits because of it's good performance.

In my opinion, flying a plane that is more difficult is better to learn what the flight models are all about, a plane that is less than forgiving teaches you things quickly because you get see cause and effect right then and there, planes that are very easy to fly don't let you feel the fine line as well and tend to hide some of the more subtle aspects of the game.

The trick is to not pick a plane that is too hard which can be discouraging or one that is too easy which can lead to those bad habits.

I'd say P51 is a reasonable plane to start with, it turns ok, has good firepower and is a good climber too. Forgiving in some ways, less so in others. 109G2 comes to mind, last time I flew it it seemed to be a whole different breed of 109. Pretty agile, good climber, not so great firepower though.

A6m is another...very nifty little plane.
Yak3/Yak9T. Very agile, probably not as easy to fly as the La7

(Astro/Pipper, care to comment? I notice that you both still fly the Yak3, must be a reason why considering the performance of the La7 these days)

Planes I would not recommend getting into right off the bat:

P47
FW190
Brewster Buffalo (just too darn slow!)

Try a lot of planes though, in my mind it's important to find one you like then stick too it. There's plenty of time for experimenting and flying them all, so going through phases is not a bad idea...a few days with one, then a few days or weeks with another etc.

I'm sure the community will be happy to answer all of your questions, so be free with them, lots of people know lots of things here and are willing to share.

S~ again and welcome http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

-Zen-
Formerly TX-Zen