PDA

View Full Version : Why I think Jack the Ripper DLC is the best DLC from Ubi as a whole

RVSage
04-29-2016, 11:03 PM
Personally , when the DLC model was introduced in the gaming industry, I did not like it much. More often than not, It felt like little content, at much higher cost. Most DLCs added little value to the core game or it's characters

For instance during AC2 - It was clear that the Savonarola sequence, was initially designed to be a part of the main game. Later we had to pay additional money to play it. (I did not actually play them until revelations)

AC 3 Tyranny of Washington was actually a proper DLC, with a fantasy take on the main game. Even though it was new, I felt abilities were OP, the story dull.

AC IV Freedom Cry had a new playable character, and a decent story line. In fact this was the first DLC , in any game, I actually felt was worth the extra money, eventually it ended up being stand alone

AC Unity : Dead Kings, with a rare opportunity to fix the issues of the main game, and dubbed a "Dark" DLC, ended up being little more than a story focusing on Arno getting over his girl (Not that he shouldn't, but there is nothing Dark in there . It was advertised as such, the only darkness I saw was the color palette)

Now comes in AC Syndicate Jack the Ripper. One of real life, murderers , who was never caught. The main game had an fair enough story line (baring that ending)

I thought the following before DLC release
1. Ubi would take a short cut, in narration as in past, and make Jacob , Jack the Ripper.
2. Or Ubi could make Jack a sage

But Ubi had something else in mind, here are the positives about the DLC

1. Jacob was not Jack, but Jack his student, gone rogue/mad, reaffirming Assassins are not always heroes of the game universe.
2. Till the end of the DLC Ubi avoids giving us a peek behind the mask. Thus retaining the the real world fact, that the identity of the Ripper is unknown. Which was very neat.
3. A DLC purely playable by Evie, making up for lost screen time in the main game, and evening out story balances
4. Very well written, story line. Completing yet another part of the twins life. I liked the fear tools combat mechanics
5. Gutsy move, to let players play Jack, to experience the mad man's brutality, does making the overall story more purposeful
6. The music had terror written all over it, great mood was set. It was way different from the main game, the additional effort put into this department is commendable.

There were some negatives too

1. Poorly rehashed, side missions
2. Some very bad performance issues on consoles after the DLC

I guess Jack the Ripper was a brilliant imagination of a real world killer in an alternate universe. It stuck close to real world premise, yet mixed well with the Assassins creed universe characters, forming a coherent and dark plot and meaningfully expands the main game story. It is a DLC worth the extra money and a DLC I really enjoyed

I have played quite a few other Ubi DLCs like watch dogs t-bone DLC to name a few, but nothing felt as complete as this one

LoyalACFan
04-30-2016, 01:00 AM
IMHO Jack the Ripper was horrible; a really clumsy attempt to shoehorn a real-life serial killer into a game about assassination. The whole thing felt incredibly lazy and contrived to me; the Rooks are conveniently evil now, Evie is conveniently a pacifist now so they can shirk any legitimate criticism of the Assassins in contrast to Jack, the Assassins conveniently wear rings now to leave as handy little clues for Evie... Plus I thought it was humorously oblivious of them to open the game with Jacob guilt-tripping the publisher dude for "turning an unknown killer into a legend" or whatever, and then promptly turn around and depict a real-life, mentally disturbed serial killer as a criminal mastermind leading an elaborate cult-like underground network. Ugh. The whole thing just didn't work for me. Granted, I never bought the thing (Dead Kings was a turd so I wasn't about to launch headlong into another one) but I did watch a complete walkthrough, so I feel pretty justified in my opinion.

I do agree with your general point though; AC DLC's have historically been pretty shoddy...

Battle of Forli sucked, AC2's combat was pretty bad and the whole DLC was just a battle sequence.

Bonfire of the Vanities was awesome, but it was literally just cut out of the game because it was incomplete at launch.

Da Vinci Disappearance was meh, but it gave us a little more of Ezio & Leonardo's friendship, which was nice.

The Lost Archive still makes a little tiny part of my soul weep tears of rage.

King Washington got stupid with all the supernatural BS, felt like a vaguely racist Saturday morning cartoon.

AC4 Aveline was a f**king joke.

Freedom Cry was legitimately good though, a nice little self-contained side story with a pretty heavy emotional impact.

Aaaaand Dead Kings was essentially a Scooby-Doo mystery, complete with an obnoxious kid sidekick.

Jessigirl2013
05-01-2016, 11:40 AM
I personally cant look past the glaringly obvious gigantic plot holes and the really naff gimmicky fear skills...

What's with recent AC DLCs thinking they need some gimmick for gameplay, Unity had the stupid lantern and bizarre puzzles...:rolleyes:

RVSage
05-01-2016, 10:53 PM
@LoyalACFan, I agree about all the Rooks being evil, I would have found a break away faction more acceptable as well. But still I liked the narration as a whole,

@Jessiegirl2013, I agree with your points on Unity, Perhaps that contributed in me liking JTR eventually

SixKeys
05-03-2016, 01:16 AM
JTR was terrible. It's one of the only two DLCs I never finished (ToKW being the other). LoyalACFan already summed it up well.

Freedom Cry is the best one, IMO. In fact it's one of the most profound AC experiences, period. It's a perfect example of how gameplay can make you think about things in a way other media cannot. Even some of its faults contribute to its greatness, which is something I've never said about a game before.

RinoTheBouncer
05-06-2016, 07:02 PM
I did like Jack The Ripper DLC, but like Dead Kings, it was way shorter than I expected and didn't offer much to the Assassin's Creed universe. I was hoping for some twist or surprise, even though I did like how they tried to show that the Assassins can have bad people among them, as well.

To rate the other DLC from most to least favorite:

1. Freedom Cry
2. The Tyranny of King Washington
3. The Lost Archive
4. The Da Vinci Disappearance
5. Battle of Forli & Bonfire of the Vanities
6. Jack The Ripper
7. Dead Kings
8. Aveline

Sorrosyss
05-06-2016, 07:18 PM
In terms of story, I really disliked JTR. Frankly, the ideas that flew around this very forum were far more thrilling (Jacob is Jack omg) than what we ended up with. That plus, Evie's new found pacifism and sudden distaste for mass killing just seemed ridiculously out of character given her background.

However, in terms of content, JTR did pretty well. Once I collected everything, and did all the side missions etc, it was a good 8 or 9 hours. We've had far worse in the series than that. Just a shame that this DLC had some pretty glaring technical issues (the carriage hitching was just awful).

As others have said, Freedom Cry and TOKW were probably the best offerings so far. I like the concept of playing a new character in a new setting, and I like to have a new area to explore too. I'll keep preaching that I'd like to see the Modern Day as a DLC for the next game though.

Jessigirl2013
05-07-2016, 07:11 PM
JTR was terrible. It's one of the only two DLCs I never finished (ToKW being the other). LoyalACFan already summed it up well.

Freedom Cry is the best one, IMO. In fact it's one of the most profound AC experiences, period. It's a perfect example of how gameplay can make you think about things in a way other media cannot. Even some of its faults contribute to its greatness, which is something I've never said about a game before.

The AC plot hole thread is evidence that the JTR DLC story is a complete mess aswell.