PDA

View Full Version : It's Settled!

crusader_prophet
04-25-2016, 07:04 PM
Patrice Desilets won legal dispute over UbiSoft. He retains rights for 1666: Amsterdam.

Original announcement in French:
http://media.wix.com/ugd/595a8f_b8397809afe0440f8562ccda1ef5d18a.pdf

ze_topazio
04-25-2016, 08:15 PM
Came here to post that.

https://twitter.com/PatriceDez

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cg5z72UUkAAkMR7.jpg:large

RVSage
04-25-2016, 08:16 PM
Good for him, sad it had to go down this way though

In english
http://media.wix.com/ugd/595a8f_d3d232c3a0184b4984a5c997faa05f7b.pdf

At least they parted in better terms

SpiritOfNevaeh
04-25-2016, 11:38 PM
Glad they were able to settle that :)

I look forward to hearing more about the game when it's near its release.

king-hailz
04-26-2016, 07:04 AM
Finally. I'm happy he has it.

Markaccus
04-26-2016, 10:09 AM
Appart from seeing this described as "the next assassins creed, and something about rembrandt, I don't know much about this games theme. Does anybody have any pointers as to what this game is about?

VestigialLlama4
04-26-2016, 11:27 AM
It was intended by PD to be an open-world urban set action-adventure game with a historical setting. However according to him, it would not have revolved around Assassins, Templars or around violence specifically. He wanted it to be a leap into historical games fulltime since he felt that the AvT conflict wouldn't work for all historical settings and all kinds of games.

In either case, PD only got so far as designing the game world and in-engine render and still hadn't fully worked out the gameplay.

SixKeys
04-26-2016, 03:54 PM
Judging by the concept art, it wasn't planned to be fully historical. Looks more like a mixture of horror and history, in the vein of 1886: The Order.

Anyway, I'm super happy for Patrice! Ubi's image has risen in my eyes a few notches for ultimately doing the right thing. :)

Markaccus
04-26-2016, 05:41 PM
Yeah, I assumed that by "the next assassins creed" he meant along the open world, historical lines, but NOT linked to the AC story itself. I wouldn't mind a decent open world horror game. Something with some genuine shocks and scares.

VestigialLlama4
04-26-2016, 07:42 PM
Judging by the concept art, it wasn't planned to be fully historical. Looks more like a mixture of horror and history, in the vein of 1886: The Order.

Well it wasn't intended to be realistic I am sure based on how Patrice described it. He hinted that it would revolve around Rembrandt and his paintings.

Anyway, I can't wait to find out what exactly this game is.

Anyway, I'm super happy for Patrice! Ubi's image has risen in my eyes a few notches for ultimately doing the right thing. :)

I guess they did the right thing after trying and failing to do everything else. Or maybe the experience of nearly being bought out by Vivendi gave them a conscience, or better legal standing to fight off attempts like that.

In a broader sense, this is a victory for game developers retaining rights to their work. A quiet victory but one nonetheless.

SixKeys
04-27-2016, 01:46 AM
I guess they did the right thing after trying and failing to do everything else. Or maybe the experience of nearly being bought out by Vivendi gave them a conscience, or better legal standing to fight off attempts like that.

In a broader sense, this is a victory for game developers retaining rights to their work. A quiet victory but one nonetheless.

It doesn't really matter what the reason is. Ubi has suffered from an image problem in recent years and everyone was certain they'd never give Patrice his game back. Whatever the reason for the settlement, at least it shows Ubi is willing to negotiate and move forward.

VestigialLlama4
04-27-2016, 08:16 AM
It doesn't really matter what the reason is. Ubi has suffered from an image problem in recent years and everyone was certain they'd never give Patrice his game back. Whatever the reason for the settlement, at least it shows Ubi is willing to negotiate and move forward.

Well if they had played nice wiith PD, the game could have been in development in the interim and probably ready for a 2017 release. Instead PD lost time and money fighting this lawsuit and who knows if the game will ever be finished, because it depends on the success of Ancestors.

Ubisoft's image problem and clearing that up is well and good but one must not forget that they are responsible for that turn of affairs. The fact that they, a wealthy corporation, settled so conclusively proves that they had a very weak case indeed.

ze_topazio
04-27-2016, 12:48 PM
I've seen some people theorizing the game is going to be developed in a collaboration between Panache and Ubisoft.

SixKeys
04-27-2016, 01:24 PM
I've seen some people theorizing the game is going to be developed in a collaboration between Panache and Ubisoft.

That would be awesome, though I don't know if either party would be willing to work together again. In any case I think Panache is going to need help from a bigger studio if they want to realize the game the way it was originally planned, as a AAA title. Right now they don't have the resources for that.

Ureh
04-27-2016, 10:15 PM
I don't think Panache will have too much difficult finding investors. In the worst scenario they could always kickstart that project.

m4r-k7
04-27-2016, 11:08 PM

It was the correct choice. But I am sure it wasn't anything to do with 'looking good'. They probably assessed the IP for a long time to see whether they would truly be interested in using its assets. Ultimately, they didn't feel like they needed the assets, and thought it was too much trouble to get legalities further involved for something they aren't really committed on.

VestigialLlama4
04-30-2016, 04:52 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WVEo4yXpho

Gameplay footage released by PD.

SixKeys
05-01-2016, 12:20 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WVEo4yXpho

Gameplay footage released by PD.

Dang, seems intriguing. The idea of using different animals looks cool. I definitely get an AC-like vibe from this. Hard to say if it's because the THQ team largely consisted of AC veterans or if Ubi used any 1666 assets in AC.

VestigialLlama4
05-01-2016, 04:32 AM
Dang, seems intriguing. The idea of using different animals looks cool. I definitely get an AC-like vibe from this. Hard to say if it's because the THQ team largely consisted of AC veterans or if Ubi used any 1666 assets in AC.

Well it's set in a city in a historical time period and draws influence from Dutch painting...that alone makes it pretty AC-like. Then the Crow flying over the map is reminscent of so many eagles flying overhead above the map in AC games.

Apparently the theme is "be worse than the devil" so I think it has an occult/black magic theme. Let's hope we find out one day.

Jessigirl2013
05-01-2016, 11:29 AM
Yeah, I assumed that by "the next assassins creed" he meant along the open world, historical lines, but NOT linked to the AC story itself. I wouldn't mind a decent open world horror game. Something with some genuine shocks and scares.

Completely OT but just curious why ACRG is your least favourite AC according to your sig...:rolleyes:

Back on topic, It looks like an interesting game but I had a quick look at the gameplay and what I saw looked dull IMO.

SixKeys
05-01-2016, 09:56 PM
Well it's set in a city in a historical time period and draws influence from Dutch painting...that alone makes it pretty AC-like. Then the Crow flying over the map is reminscent of so many eagles flying overhead above the map in AC games.

Apparently the theme is "be worse than the devil" so I think it has an occult/black magic theme. Let's hope we find out one day.

I was mostly looking at the people in the background going about their everyday lives. Most open-world games are content to just have their people wandering about aimlessly or having a few stock animations. I like the people lifting something heavy through a window. The animal mechanic is slightly similar to what we had in ToKW.

ze_topazio
05-01-2016, 11:15 PM
I saw some Dutch people commenting in other places that the devil was a constant present in myths, legends, stories, poetry, art, etc.. in that time period, so I guess that's from where Patrice's inspiration, for the devil as the main character, came from.

Sorrosyss
05-02-2016, 07:11 PM
I really found the footage quite interesting. You can see AC inspiration all over it, and that's a good thing. Took me awhile to understand the 1666 (duh!) title, but the concept seems really cool. The shapeshifting vaguely reminded me of the AC3 Tyranny DLC too.

It'd be nice if this did somehow get rebooted by both parties, as it is definitely my kind of game. It might even be fun to make it an AC spinoff somehow if they retooled the story. AC has certainly diminished in my eyes ever since his exit, so it would be quite welcome in my book.

Markaccus
05-03-2016, 12:36 PM
Completely OT but just curious why ACRG is your least favourite AC according to your sig...:rolleyes:

Back on topic, It looks like an interesting game but I had a quick look at the gameplay and what I saw looked dull IMO.

It's an easy question for me to answer, really. Appart from not liking playing as a templar, it was almost as repetitive as ac1. What made it worse was that it had all been done before, much better, in ACBF. The story of the game, while majorly relevant to the AC series, would have been better as a small book, or graphic novel or something. It made for a pretty dull game imo.

Yeah the footage of 1666 did look a little ordinary, but then again it will probably be a lot more polished by the time (if) released.