PDA

View Full Version : So, is it safe to say hoping for a hood-toggle option is out of the question?

HeadChiefChris
04-18-2016, 08:51 PM
Given how much time has passed since the game's been out, is it safe to assume that there aren't any plans to implement a way to toggle the hood aside from crouching? I know it's been brought up many times before and I remember a petition going around as well, but I just don't understand why nobody's taken the time to implement such a small and simple thing that would appease a lot of the players. As sad as it is, my sole reason for not returning to the game after finishing it was because I can't stand how derpy both Evie and Jacob look without their hoods, and even while playing it I stayed in a crouch position 90% of the time and just held R to keep them in a high-profile stance. It's a crappy/annoying workaround, but at least it let them keep the iconic Assassin appearance.

A lot of people don't seem to care either way and the people that were bothered by it seem to have accepted it or moved on, which leads me to the question in the title. Should I give up on hoping to see this added as an option? Is a button to toggle a hood really too much to ask for?

Kayya_
04-18-2016, 11:10 PM
Well, I personally preferred Jacob in a top hat out of everything, and I don't really play Evie, so I guess I'm a part of those not really bothered by it all that much... But that little option would indeed make many people happy. It's a small thing, but very subjective. I'd like it either way. I think I'd use it though, if it were added. As you said, to keep the iconic Assassin appearance.

strigoi1958
04-19-2016, 03:07 PM
Well, the game has been made, finished and sold and apart from looking to remedy any small glitches that may arise I do not think that anyone will be assigned to work on something that has no effect on the game play whatsoever as it is just a personal preference for just a few.
Kayya_ like myself is not bothered one way or another and probably like myself finds it of so little significance that cannot understand why anyone would make a fuss about it...

Also where would it stop? If I said I want all enemies to have green hair as a preference will it be done if I can get 50 or even 5,000 to agree with me? (I doubt even 5,000 asked for the hood toggle) we have to see it from both sides.

Game companies can decide to spend money to please a few people from time to time if they want to show a nice gesture but it sets a precedent that might cause problems when others demand something as equally unimportant to the majority and then say "you did the hood thing for those 50 people" and it causes arguments.

Some people asked for it when the game released last year so I think it is safe to assume that the possibility is extremely slim if at all.

The majority of gamers expect a few things in every game to be less perfect for themselves but realise that the game is not designed to each individuals needs and wishes (unless they own a game publishing company and have artistic control over the game :) ) it is just a case of enjoying the best bits and not sweating the little things.... if it is such a big thing to me, I don't play the game.

Personally I dislike cut scenes that cannot be skipped so I do not play Metal Gear Solid V as it is like torture to get through the first hour (that doesn't make it a bad game even though I'd rather cut my feet off with a blunt rusty piece of metal than play it :) ) and I bought then uninstalled it, same as Mass Effect 3 after 20 minutes of boredom. Those games were meant to sell to te majority not just to me (unfortunately :) )

Kayya_
04-19-2016, 05:21 PM
Kayya_ like myself is not bothered one way or another and probably like myself finds it of so little significance that cannot understand why anyone would make a fuss about it...

Yep, precisely. :)
And you've got valid points.

HeadChiefChris
04-19-2016, 11:21 PM
The majority of gamers expect a few things in every game to be less perfect for themselves but realise that the game is not designed to each individuals needs and wishes (unless they own a game publishing company and have artistic control over the game :) ) it is just a case of enjoying the best bits and not sweating the little things.... if it is such a big thing to me, I don't play the game.

Personally I dislike cut scenes that cannot be skipped so I do not play Metal Gear Solid V as it is like torture to get through the first hour (that doesn't make it a bad game even though I'd rather cut my feet off with a blunt rusty piece of metal than play it :) ) and I bought then uninstalled it, same as Mass Effect 3 after 20 minutes of boredom. Those games were meant to sell to te majority not just to me (unfortunately :) )

I don't really understand your argument though because all it's doing is stressing the importance of having options in a game, which is literally exactly what I was asking for. I understand completely if it's a design choice they're committed to making, but they would have to be completely ignorant if they don't consider the people that they would be upsetting with a change like that. Using the MGS example, it'd be like if they took away Snake's iconic eyepatch or bandana and gave him a baseball cap and said "but he switches to the eyepatch when he's in his box!"

With that said, yes, it's entirely preference and no, it's not a big deal. But while unskippable cutscenes don't bother me, they could have simply added the ability to skip them and with that super quick and easy change, they would have pleased both sides while not upsetting either. Sure, they would've had to dedicate a small amount of time and effort for it, but they would've been left with a better product and happier (and at least a few more) fans because of it. If it's all about selling to a majority of the people, then small, simple convenience changes like this should be the most effortless way of pleasing everybody involved and that's why it's so disappointing to see that Ubisoft won't go the extra mile to make sure everyone is content. But yeah, I realize a game can't cater to every single person but that's why I repeatedly stressed "hoping" in my original post. While others might love the direction that the AC franchise is going, Syndicate is my last hope with the franchise and it's saddening that the complete lack of consideration is what's driving me away.

strigoi1958
04-20-2016, 02:38 AM
I'm not arguing I'm trying to point out that although you think a company might think it wise to spend more time effort and costs on 1 specific option that suits your needs (and that of a few others).... why should they? and why should your request get chosen over thousands of other request that has no bearing to the majority of players?

Tailoring a game by making it customisable during it's development stage is one thing, but stopping work on other games to go back to work for free on a finished game to alter something that has no bearing on gameplay is a big ask :(

it may seem like a little thing when we do not know what is involved in changing all cutscenes and animations etc... but we need to take that into consideration. How much do you think it will cost $20,000... $50,000... $100,000 ... it will not be $500 I guarantee you ... and for how many people will it make a significant difference? If you were a company boss do you think your shareholders would like you spending $100,000 to appease 200 fans who might not even play through the game again?

As for cutscenes in MGSV if the artistic director of a game feels that a lot of hard work has gone into the cutscenes and doesn't want them discarded then that is their prerogative. As for snake... or any character in any game... they can put them in a pole dancers outfit with pink hair for all I care, I only care about gameplay not looks. I never sweat the small stuff.

HeadChiefChris
04-20-2016, 10:01 AM
Sorry, didn't mean to imply that we're arguing but for the sake of discussion you're arguing one point and I'm arguing another. I won't at all pretend to know how much effort it takes or whether it's financially feasible or not, and I definitely don't think it's a higher priority than anyone else's request. I've even mentioned several times that it's a very minor issue. I remember seeing multiple other threads asking for the option to turn off motion blur (an option in nearly every other game nowadays) and 6 months later, it's still completely missing. The entire point I'm trying to make is that they aren't updating the game at all aside from a few bug fixes and DLC. It's absolutely nothing more than a cashgrab at this point and considering the refusal to acknowledge ANY of the fan requests, regardless of how big or small, it makes them entirely deserving of the bad rep they've been getting the past few years.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2014/11/12/congratulations-ubisoft-youre-the-new-ea/#203e125a5462 - is what I'm referencing. A quote from the article, "Ubisoft is rushing out games and trying controversial revenue generation all at the same time, and itís not just creating a poor user experience, itís making them look sloppy and cavalier about their relationship with their fanbase." If they don't have the decency to spend money providing support (via updates, hotfixes, options, actual content) for a game they recently released, why should I or anyone else financially support their franchise? With that said I do understand and employ your perspective of just buying the game and enjoying it for what it's worth, but it's silly to support something just to find out you're allowed to "experience it" but not offer any sort of improvements or suggestions to it.

Ubi-JollyCharly
04-20-2016, 06:42 PM
Hi Assassins,

First of all thank you for bringing this subject, we are always happy to hear about your impressions on the game.
Of course, details like that, all together, are what make the game experience different, and it is important to hear all this for the future.
However, supporting the game doesn't mean that gameplay details will be changed. If major issues were occurring, then yes, it would be worth working on a patch. But the hood is more a convenience issue, and doesn't prevent to play the game. Even if it's a detail, it would mean rework the whole characters features across the game, how they move, etc.
Hence, it is more a feedback that the team will take into account for future game than for the one already released.

Concerning the article, I would like to point out that it's from 2014, and since then, AC team announced (http://blog.ubi.com/a-message-from-the-assassins-creed-team/) that 2016 will be the year to step-back and re-examine the franchise to offer the best gameplay possible!

I hope I managed to answer your question :)

JollyCharly

HeadChiefChris
04-20-2016, 08:14 PM
Fair enough, that's exactly what I wanted to know. It sucks to hear it, but thank you for the response nonetheless.