PDA

View Full Version : Not sure if any writer's, devs, mods etc read this

Venetica1
04-15-2016, 11:10 PM
Or if you'll add in anything more into Syndicate (we do have weekend events)

Just a silly suggestion, but it would be nice to give a few coins to the beggars

My Grandmother said there were alot of homeless in the UK, I imagine much more so during Jacob & Evies era, considering children worked, so how about letting us toss them a coin or two sometimes?

It gives a more human feeling to our beloved assassins & I give in real life, to vets.
We save kids from work factories, but they still need money to survive, do you all think I'm being a total moron?

Just an idea, pls be nice, I've got the darned flu, just ideas in my head..

DynaRider
04-16-2016, 02:00 AM
I don't think you're a moron. Although fully aware it's only a video game I sometimes feel kind of bad when I abuse the horses, kill animals (especially the beavers who make a really sorrowful sound when you stab them). Kind of nice to be able to pet or touch animals and tossing coins to the beggars lends a kind of human touch to the game.

ERICATHERINE
04-16-2016, 04:00 AM
I doh't think you're a moron and I was suprised we couldn't do that. I would have liked it to return from the road event of unity, but I also have to admit I clearly doubt ubisoft will change that, unfortunately. :-\

Venetica1
04-16-2016, 01:49 PM
Thanks & I feel terrible killing horses, I lived a couple yrs w/an uncle who had horses, evil horse hating devs grrr

MikeFNY
04-16-2016, 02:09 PM
Thanks & I feel terrible killing horses, I lived a couple yrs w/an uncle who had horses, evil horse hating devs grrr

Let me guess, yet you didn't feel terrible for killing Starrick and all his Templar friends despite living more than just a couple of years surrounded by fellow human beings.

Venetica1
04-18-2016, 03:56 PM
Let me guess, yet you didn't feel terrible for killing Starrick and all his Templar friends despite living more than just a couple of years surrounded by fellow human beings.

Wtf is your prb?

Omg, I love horses, I should feel TERRIble over killing an evil ***** & some templars?

I don't know what your issue is but don't attack me b/c you're some templar lover

Markaccus
04-19-2016, 01:40 PM
Well, that escalated quickly 😲

Being able to drop a few coins would be a good idea. At least these beggars are not like the original ac1 beggars who got in your face, or the ;*$&&₩##@^#@^=%&#^@ing Minstrels from ac2 who often recieved a knuckle sandwich from Ezio. At least they do when i play.

ERICATHERINE
04-19-2016, 02:17 PM
Well, that escalated quickly ��

Being able to drop a few coins would be a good idea. At least these beggars are not like the original ac1 beggars who got in your face, or the ;*$&&₩#€#@^#@^=%&#^@ing Minstrels from ac2 who often recieved a knuckle sandwich from Ezio. At least they do when i play.

Do you still like Ezio after that? :p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjXrTZiczmg

Markaccus
04-19-2016, 02:27 PM
Do you still like Ezio after that? :p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjXrTZiczmg

Hahaha. Yeah I remember this. They really put some work into the song lyrics 😆

ERICATHERINE
04-19-2016, 05:19 PM
Hahaha. Yeah I remember this. They really put some work into the song lyrics ��

Yea, I know. Many of these song are so funny from my point of view that they are one of the reason, why I think this mission is one of the best in ac re, if not in the entire Ezio trilogi. ^-^

Jessigirl2013
04-22-2016, 09:25 PM
Or if you'll add in anything more into Syndicate (we do have weekend events)

Just a silly suggestion, but it would be nice to give a few coins to the beggars

My Grandmother said there were alot of homeless in the UK, I imagine much more so during Jacob & Evies era, considering children worked, so how about letting us toss them a coin or two sometimes?

It gives a more human feeling to our beloved assassins & I give in real life, to vets.
We save kids from work factories, but they still need money to survive, do you all think I'm being a total moron?

Just an idea, pls be nice, I've got the darned flu, just ideas in my head..

I understand this point.

I was also under the impression that racism was very prominent in this time period and I found it odd that it was never touched on especially with Henry Greens ethnicity.
Even something as simple as him saying in passing conversation that his shop was vandalised or something to that effect... Seems like a missed opportunity to show the issue of racism then..

Anyone else think this?

ERICATHERINE
04-23-2016, 04:18 AM
I understand this point.

I was also under the impression that racism was very prominent in this time period and I found it odd that it was never touched on especially with Henry Greens ethnicity.
Even something as simple as him saying in passing conversation that his shop was vandalised or something to that effect... Seems like a missed opportunity to show the issue of racism then..

Anyone else think this?

Me. ^-^

SixKeys
04-23-2016, 02:11 PM
I understand this point.

Anyone else think this?

Jeffrey Yohalem said in Loomer's interview that it was a conscious decision to write an idealized version of Victorian London rather than 100% accurate one because he preferred the game to be more fun and inclusive towards minorities and women. Note how nobody in the game ever questions Eve's abilities because she's a woman, for example. She's immediately accepted as an equally capable assassin as her brother. In a less idealistic world (aka the real Victorian England) half the game would have been about Evie constantly having to prove her worth and running into sexism everywhere. Same for Henry w/ regard to race or Ned with his gender. The devs opted for being more inclusive at the expense of sacrificing some realism.

Ubi-Banshee
04-27-2016, 03:40 PM
I understand this point.

Anyone else think this?

I totally see what you're saying, in some cases dealing with issues like racism and misogyny in media can be an excellent catalyst towards large-scale discussions around the importance of equity and inclusion.

That said, having such topics addressed in large titles like AC can be very complex - IMO if they include an examination of those issues and the impact it has on marginalized groups, to do it justice I think it would have to be something that is given the time and attention it deserves to address, not a single scene or line. In that respect I get why the devs went for a more idealized version of England for the setting, but at the same time I do see the potential dangers you addressed in your post about ignoring the actuality of how marginalized groups were grossly mistreated. In order to recognize the behavior, it seems critical that we acknowledge it happened and why it needs to be changed.

IDK - it is a very complex and interesting discussion, glad to see it's one the community is willing to have :o

LoyalACFan
04-30-2016, 01:51 AM
IMO the next big step for open-world games in general (especially RPG's) should be to really treat the player character as a citizen of the game world and give them more ways to interact with it besides killing, climbing, shopping, and stealing. Let us give money to that beggar. Let us sit on that park bench. Let us play fetch with that dog. It's all work for the developers, I'll grant you that (and I can speak from experience as a novice coder) but it can really be worth it. When you ask people about their favorite moments in games, they can respond with all manner of things going down to the seemingly silliest to details, but they never say "it was when I shot my 37th pigeon in Liberty City" or "it was when I finished that fetch quest for the elf priest."

TL;DR small details like the one OP is asking for are more valuable than most generic side content.

Mr.Black24
04-30-2016, 05:10 AM
I totally see what you're saying, in some cases dealing with issues like racism and misogyny in media can be an excellent catalyst towards large-scale discussions around the importance of equity and inclusion.

That said, having such topics addressed in large titles like AC can be very complex - IMO if they include an examination of those issues and the impact it has on marginalized groups, to do it justice I think it would have to be something that is given the time and attention it deserves to address, not a single scene or line. In that respect I get why the devs went for a more idealized version of England for the setting, but at the same time I do see the potential dangers you addressed in your post about ignoring the actuality of how marginalized groups were grossly mistreated. In order to recognize the behavior, it seems critical that we acknowledge it happened and why it needs to be changed.

IDK - it is a very complex and interesting discussion, glad to see it's one the community is willing to have :oWhile I really did wish we get to see a bit that challenge that Evie, Henry, and Ned would have to face for simply being what they are at that time, it is highly understandable why they took this path.

Freedom Cry is one that pops in my mind. I'm glad that Ubisoft did not shy away from what was really happening at that time. Everyone knows slavery was bad, but when you see it, digitally represented at you, seeing how these people were caged up, or being mistreated via a type of waterboarding torture, it does a good job of reminding people that not only once this was a real thing (kind of is still unfortunately, via underworld), but also to make sure this doesn't happen again.

There was one article from Kotaku *yes I know, but this one is actually good* that left a good impression on me, enforcing the idea of why representation is important in media

"The newest chapter of the Assassin's Creed series gives me some of the things I've always wanted in a video game: a heroic fantasy that lets me control a warrior fighting against slavery. Part of it happens in Haiti, where my parents were born. Characters talk in Antillean Kreyol, the mosaic tongue made of French and West African words that I heard while growing up. But, mostly, it reminds me of going to church with my mother. It makes me happy and sad at the same time.
Whether it was a first communion, wedding or funeral, someone nestled in the crowd at these church functions would start singing the Haitian national anthem. For no reason other than a deep longing for the home they'd left behind. Freedom Cry calls up the same combination of mournfulness and pride that I'd hear in those moments of song. I'm seriously thinking about having my dad over to play it."

http://kotaku.com/a-game-that-showed-me-my-own-black-history-1486643518

Since that Aveline DLC from Freedom Cry shows that Connor is now focusing on strengthening the Brotherhood and freeing slaves, I hope that if Ubisoft pursues a Connor/Aveline sequel, they continue to do the time period justice as they did for Freedom Cry seeing as natives being displaced and slavery was rampant at that time.