PDA

View Full Version : FMB, Elevation Request.

TailFlamer
06-08-2004, 09:03 AM
Hi

I have used the FMB a good bit, but I have yet to find a graph with the height of the ground level.

It seems that the AI don't care that a mountain is in their path, they will hold the altitude they are set at and fly right into it. Trying to guess the alt when setting the waypoints is very hard to do, when I am working with low level missions. Most of the time I have to fly the plan myself and make a note of my alt at the verious waypoints and then add the AI. All the time hoping that the altitudes will be correct.

Is there a feature in FMB that shows the ground level and I have simply overlooked it?

If not, (the dev request part) I hope we will see this feature added in a patch, or at least in PF and all new sims by 1C. I would also like to see a ground collision avoidance added for the AI. Just something so that they will climb when the terrain changes and there alt is set too low to clear it. In other words, if I have their alt set to 100m above the ground, they will maintain 100m above the ground even if a hill is in their flight path.

It would be better to have the terrains altitude shown on the FMB map, ecpecially when we move into 3D view of the map. Maybe it could be a popup when the mouse is placed over a area on the map? Or a key to enable elevations?

Thank you for any consideration in this matter.

TailFlamer
06-08-2004, 09:03 AM
Hi

I have used the FMB a good bit, but I have yet to find a graph with the height of the ground level.

It seems that the AI don't care that a mountain is in their path, they will hold the altitude they are set at and fly right into it. Trying to guess the alt when setting the waypoints is very hard to do, when I am working with low level missions. Most of the time I have to fly the plan myself and make a note of my alt at the verious waypoints and then add the AI. All the time hoping that the altitudes will be correct.

Is there a feature in FMB that shows the ground level and I have simply overlooked it?

If not, (the dev request part) I hope we will see this feature added in a patch, or at least in PF and all new sims by 1C. I would also like to see a ground collision avoidance added for the AI. Just something so that they will climb when the terrain changes and there alt is set too low to clear it. In other words, if I have their alt set to 100m above the ground, they will maintain 100m above the ground even if a hill is in their flight path.

It would be better to have the terrains altitude shown on the FMB map, ecpecially when we move into 3D view of the map. Maybe it could be a popup when the mouse is placed over a area on the map? Or a key to enable elevations?

Thank you for any consideration in this matter.

plumps_
06-08-2004, 01:59 PM
Bump. These were exactly my thoughts when I was making a campaign on the Kuban map in the original IL-2. In FB the AI pilots' ability to avoid mountains seems to be even worse than in IL-2.

Showing the altitude on the map would really be a big help.

-----------------------------------
http://home.arcor.de/rayluck/sturmovik/stulogo-banner.jpg (http://home.arcor.de/rayluck/sturmovik/)

Snuffy_Hadden
06-08-2004, 04:51 PM
Yep yep ... this is a gotta have piece of information.