PDA

View Full Version : Is Darius the Main Character of Empire?

Sigma 1313
04-11-2016, 11:20 PM
Hello everyone, I'm a long time lurker, first time poster. I've been playing AC since 2008 when I got my 360, and have been speculating where the games will go since the end of Brotherhood. Even though there's no game this year, I've been thinking a lot about the possibility of Empire in 2017. Based on the rumor, we'll be seeing a game set before the crusades, set in Egypt with a possible future game set in Greece and Rome. If that rumor is true, then I believe I figured out a possible time and location just based on history.

In 525 BC the Persian EMPIRE took over Egypt. After the Battle of Marathon in 490BCE (the Greeks won), the Egyptians revolted from the rule over the Empire. They failed. They tried again in 484BCE and in 460BCE. They were only able to break loose in 404BC.

Xerxes 1 ruled the Persian Empire from 486 to 465 when he was assassinated and usurped by Artabanus. In Assassin's Creed Lore Darius uses the Hidden Blade for the first time to assassinate Xerxes. It would make sense that Artabanus was a friend of Darius and used the murder as a way to gain power and do whatever he wished to aid the Assassins before he died in 464BCE.

By 460BCE, the Egyptians are revolting again under the Egyptian Leader Inaros. At the same time, Rome's slaves revolt, which is eventually quelled by the arrival of an army from Tusculum.

All we know about Darius is that he assassinated Xerxes with the first hidden blade. I think it is perfectly possible for him to have been a slave in Egypt and he eventually rebels by joining the Assassins and attempting to emancipate Egypt from Persia. Upon his failure, he travels to Greece and assassinates Xerxes. After his death, Darius goes to Rome to find the vault and aids in the revolt, finds the vault, or apple and transports it to Cyprus, or something like that. So a basic timeline of this story-arc would be something like:

~500BCE - Darius Born
484BCE - Darius helps Egyptian Revolt in - EMPIRE/EGYPT
480BCE - After the failure, Darius travel to Greece and fights persians in Battle of Thermopylae (perhaps in the naval war (I know no naval warfare in Empire, but maybe Greece?)) - GREECE
465BCE - Darius Assassinates Xerxes
460BCE - Darius Travels to Rome and aids in Slave Revolt - ROME

Due to the large naval power of the Persian empire, naval warfare would make a return, and we have the potential to meet a lot of cool people like Xerxes, Inaros, or Herodotus. It also have the possibility of making Darius face his own friends from when he was a slave because they were forced into battle by the Persians.

Even if it doesn't happen like this, having Darius would greatly expand the lore with a character we already know, in a great time period. Do you think this is a realistic idea of where they could take the next couple of games?

ERICATHERINE
04-11-2016, 11:59 PM
Well, I'd say this can happen. All this seems really possible. By the way, great work with this comment.

Welcome to the forum, little spy. ^-^

LoyalACFan
04-12-2016, 04:26 AM
I believe the original source said the protagonist was going to be a former Nubian slave, and that the game would be set in the New Kingdom era (so 800+ years before Darius). But I could be mistaken, and hell, release is so far out that everything's in flux anyway. Even if the leak was 100% accurate at the time, it's all subject to change.

Senningiri_GR
04-12-2016, 05:46 PM
During the Greco-Persian wars Egypt and Greece was considered very distant. Eyripides states that centuries before Greeks considered Egypt to be in the other side of the world very far. Also back then Rome was an other random tiny city in the Etruscan country. The idea is not bad but traveling in the Mediterranean Sea took a long time and so did news for battles and wars.

Sigma 1313
04-12-2016, 06:05 PM
During the Greco-Persian wars Egypt and Greece was considered very distant. Eyripides states that centuries before Greeks considered Egypt to be in the other side of the world very far. Also back then Rome was an other random tiny city in the Etruscan country. The idea is not bad but traveling in the Mediterranean Sea took a long time and so did news for battles and wars.

Yeah, I know that they thought it was distant, however the Persian Empire was using support and ships from Egypt and Sicily during the Battle of Artemesium (alongside the battle of Thermopylae), among many other areas. Egypt alone gave 200 ships to the battle. So while distant, Egyptians ending up in Turkey or Greece would not have impossible. And Assassin's Creed does love to toy with what could have happened in this world. Also, despite Rome being a small city, the vault was still there (well, under the yet to be built vatican).

And in response to the character being Nubian, I didn't see anything about that in the leak. You can double check me, I could be wrong. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=191191986&postcount=1

Senningiri_GR
04-13-2016, 02:07 PM
Yeah, I know that they thought it was distant, however the Persian Empire was using support and ships from Egypt and Sicily during the Battle of Artemesium (alongside the battle of Thermopylae), among many other areas. Egypt alone gave 200 ships to the battle. So while distant, Egyptians ending up in Turkey or Greece would not have impossible. And Assassin's Creed does love to toy with what could have happened in this world. Also, despite Rome being a small city, the vault was still there (well, under the yet to be built vatican).

And in response to the character being Nubian, I didn't see anything about that in the leak. You can double check me, I could be wrong. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=191191986&postcount=1

Well yes. Also if we ever had a game set in Greece the Assassins shouldn't be named Assassins. In the comics I think the Assassins were called liberals of something. There is a legend that says about a Spartan secret organization called Krypreia that potentially inspired the real life Hassan-i Sabbah in forming the order of the Hashshashin, or "Assassins". I might post something about it later.

Also there was no Turkey back then

ze_topazio
04-13-2016, 02:44 PM
Yeah, according to the French comics the Assassins in ancient Rome call themselves "Liberalis Circulum".

Sigma 1313
04-14-2016, 02:34 AM
Well yes. Also if we ever had a game set in Greece the Assassins shouldn't be named Assassins. In the comics I think the Assassins were called liberals of something. There is a legend that says about a Spartan secret organization called Krypreia that potentially inspired the real life Hassan-i Sabbah in forming the order of the Hashshashin, or "Assassins". I might post something about it later.

Also there was no Turkey back then

I never heard of the Krypteia before, that's really interesting, and I can definitely see Ubi using that to their advantage. Obviously they wouldn't be called assassins. In Egypt at the time, I believe they spoke the language Coptic. I couldn't find any direct translation to killer or anything like that, so Ubisoft might make up a word, or since they have better access to historians, they might be able to figure out what word would be used. Or they could just call them assassin's and say that it's due to a translation bug by the animus, and not use Coptic at all in the game. And I'm really just talking about he region that is now Turkey(was called Asia Minor at the time). Turkey wasn't founded until 1923.

LoyalACFan
04-14-2016, 07:49 AM

From the link you provided;

"You play as a slave or ex-slave. He looks a lot like Altair, but with a darker skin (like this guy >>322510112). He is not edgy, from my understanding. He's a nobody that barely speaks."

As for him being Nubian, I guess I was just drawing conclusions based on the comment about having dark skin and being an ex-slave. The Egyptians occasionally warred with Nubia/Kush and took slaves from them, so it would stand to reason. At any rate, I doubt Darius, a Greek, would have darker skin than Altair.

Senningiri_GR
04-14-2016, 02:22 PM
As for him being Nubian, I guess I was just drawing conclusions based on the comment about having dark skin and being an ex-slave. The Egyptians occasionally warred with Nubia/Kush and took slaves from them, so it would stand to reason. At any rate, I doubt Darius, a Greek, would have darker skin than Altair.

I think Nubians probably had a skin a little bit darker that the Egyptians. Individual of these images of 2014 look like he comes from South Sahara Desert area. Darius was Persian not Greek. ;)

Sigma 1313
04-14-2016, 08:33 PM
I think Nubians probably had a skin a little bit darker that the Egyptians. Individual of these images of 2014 look like he comes from South Sahara Desert area. Darius was Persian not Greek. ;)

All we know of Darius is that he was a member of the Persian brotherhood - not that he was Persian - when he assassinated Xerxes. Even then, North Egypt was controlled by the Persians, so technically, while he would be Egyptian, he'd also be Persian. And just because he's from North Egypt (presumably), doesn't mean he couldn't have darker skin. He could've been captured as a child, or his parents were and he was born into slavery in North Egypt despite his heritage being from the southern sahara. There are countless ways to allow him to have darker skin while being in North Egypt, especially if he was a slave. Or Ubisoft could change that and make him from northern egypt, and no reference to slavery.

Senningiri_GR
04-14-2016, 08:57 PM
All we know of Darius is that he was a member of the Persian brotherhood - not that he was Persian - when he assassinated Xerxes. Even then, North Egypt was controlled by the Persians, so technically, while he would be Egyptian, he'd also be Persian. And just because he's from North Egypt (presumably), doesn't mean he couldn't have darker skin. He could've been captured as a child, or his parents were and he was born into slavery in North Egypt despite his heritage being from the southern sahara. There are countless ways to allow him to have darker skin while being in North Egypt, especially if he was a slave. Or Ubisoft could change that and make him from northern egypt, and no reference to slavery.

I was talking about the king Darius... My mistake ;)

LoyalACFan
04-15-2016, 12:38 AM

My mistake, I was thinking Darius was a Spartan for some reason (the Assassin, not the actual Darius of Persia, which makes things a little confusing). Though in retrospect, his attire in the AC2 statue doesn't really suggest Greek origins.