PDA

View Full Version : Q and A Pointers for Prop Pitch...

darkhorizon11
04-27-2004, 09:30 AM
Okay there's been many posts asking questions about the purpose and how to use CEM, here's some of the basics. Basically all these things allow the pilot to increase the performance of his engine without a significant increase in fuel.

The best way too look at it is:

1.Throttle = Manifold Pressure
2. Mixture = Cylinder Head Temp.
3. Prop Pitch = RPM
4. Radiator = Engine Temp.

Its awesome that Oleg and crew have included these things right now. In reality I'm working on my high performance signoff and instrument rating this summer and its a good way to practice.

Despite my familiarity with the systems I still have some questions How did Air Core, RAF, VVS, and LW pilots use these controls in combat? I take it during dogfights pilots didn't mess with these things much sense they were more worried about the enemy or am I wrong??

darkhorizon11
04-27-2004, 09:30 AM
Okay there's been many posts asking questions about the purpose and how to use CEM, here's some of the basics. Basically all these things allow the pilot to increase the performance of his engine without a significant increase in fuel.

The best way too look at it is:

1.Throttle = Manifold Pressure
2. Mixture = Cylinder Head Temp.
3. Prop Pitch = RPM
4. Radiator = Engine Temp.

Its awesome that Oleg and crew have included these things right now. In reality I'm working on my high performance signoff and instrument rating this summer and its a good way to practice.

Despite my familiarity with the systems I still have some questions How did Air Core, RAF, VVS, and LW pilots use these controls in combat? I take it during dogfights pilots didn't mess with these things much sense they were more worried about the enemy or am I wrong??

Dmitri9mm
04-27-2004, 09:46 AM
In fact pilots of WWII had to watch out for the whole thing during combat. Of course the is a margin of failure here, the engine won't just blow up instantly if not handled correct (at least not very often!) But to get the full potential out of the engine, they had to have pretty good control of the RPM. That's the reason why constant speed propeller were developed (BTW weren't all RAF fighters supposed to have that?)
Of course with training engine management became routine that you performed subconciously like when you change gear while driving a car: You don't really have to think about coordinating your movement of the stick with the presure on the pedal, right?

http://www.afilm.dk/main/3D/images/terkel/terkel_still_04.jpg
"I g¥r aftes m¸dte jeg en dreng der stod og gr¦d/ han kunne ikke finde hjem, og han var m¸rker¦d/ kn¦gten sagde: "K¦re Stewart, kan du hj¦lpe mig?"/ Jeg trak min kniv og r¥bte: B˜H! og pludselig fandt han vej!"
First Danish 100% computer-animated movie: "Terkel i knibe"

bodaw
04-27-2004, 01:16 PM
Not meaning to be a wise guy, just careful you do not pick up the bad habits from the sim. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-wink.gif