PDA

View Full Version : Please give this game time

XyZspineZyX
10-12-2003, 09:54 AM
Anybody that isn't going to buy this game because they have had trouble playing the demo is IMHO making a grave mistake. I think people are forgetting that some companies don't release the demo until after the game comes out and some don't at all (though not really much anymore). A demo is just a taste and isn't supposed to be smooth and bug free, they certainly try for that goal, but it isn't a guarantee unless they worked on the demo after finishing the game, I expect better quality in that case. If you are having trouble, try to see if you can recreate it consistently and if so write all the details down and send it to them so they can fix it. If you can't repeat it, then just do the best you can. Getting upset and saying all kinds of negative comments doesn't really help anybody. Also, given that there are hundreds of different PC configurations it is pretty hard for a company to know it will work for all systems since they can't test all those configurations. Between different drivers, different video cards, different audio cards, various amounts of RAM, and CPU speeds all over the place you really can't (realistically) expect them to be perfect. In my opinion this is a great demo and what looks like will be a great game. I could be wrong, I could be right, but if you really want to play the demo, please have patience and tell them exactly what is wrong. Don't just list your computer specs and a general description. Try to include everything you can, even stuff that you think isn't important. I can't tell you how many times I can't find a bug because the person will tell me about the problem and leave out something that they think isn't important and turns out to be very important. This demo is also a way for them to test the game on all those different configurations (much like a mini-beta in a way), so the more bugs you help them fix, the better the game will be for you and others like you. The last thing I wish to say is that this post isn't talking about anyone in particular and is just trying to be helpful and in no way insulting. I wish I could help people fix their problems, but I'm not a game programmer (yet) and therefore can not help more than I am with this post. I hope you get to experience this demo and for those of you that can't and don't want to try anymore, I highly recommend you keep this game in mind and read some reviews when it comes out before making your final decision.

For those apparently few of you that can play this demo, have you figured out what the code is for the computer in the demo? In case you somehow missed it, it is both in the lighthouse and dock area behind the board with all the drawings on it. I'm guessing it can't be used in the demo, but I'm hoping I'm wrong.

XyZspineZyX
10-12-2003, 09:54 AM
Anybody that isn't going to buy this game because they have had trouble playing the demo is IMHO making a grave mistake. I think people are forgetting that some companies don't release the demo until after the game comes out and some don't at all (though not really much anymore). A demo is just a taste and isn't supposed to be smooth and bug free, they certainly try for that goal, but it isn't a guarantee unless they worked on the demo after finishing the game, I expect better quality in that case. If you are having trouble, try to see if you can recreate it consistently and if so write all the details down and send it to them so they can fix it. If you can't repeat it, then just do the best you can. Getting upset and saying all kinds of negative comments doesn't really help anybody. Also, given that there are hundreds of different PC configurations it is pretty hard for a company to know it will work for all systems since they can't test all those configurations. Between different drivers, different video cards, different audio cards, various amounts of RAM, and CPU speeds all over the place you really can't (realistically) expect them to be perfect. In my opinion this is a great demo and what looks like will be a great game. I could be wrong, I could be right, but if you really want to play the demo, please have patience and tell them exactly what is wrong. Don't just list your computer specs and a general description. Try to include everything you can, even stuff that you think isn't important. I can't tell you how many times I can't find a bug because the person will tell me about the problem and leave out something that they think isn't important and turns out to be very important. This demo is also a way for them to test the game on all those different configurations (much like a mini-beta in a way), so the more bugs you help them fix, the better the game will be for you and others like you. The last thing I wish to say is that this post isn't talking about anyone in particular and is just trying to be helpful and in no way insulting. I wish I could help people fix their problems, but I'm not a game programmer (yet) and therefore can not help more than I am with this post. I hope you get to experience this demo and for those of you that can't and don't want to try anymore, I highly recommend you keep this game in mind and read some reviews when it comes out before making your final decision.

For those apparently few of you that can play this demo, have you figured out what the code is for the computer in the demo? In case you somehow missed it, it is both in the lighthouse and dock area behind the board with all the drawings on it. I'm guessing it can't be used in the demo, but I'm hoping I'm wrong.

XyZspineZyX
10-14-2003, 10:17 PM
I think it is just some employee at Ubi making random Scribbles http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif