PDA

View Full Version : Next Combat System

ModernWaffle
04-02-2016, 04:09 PM
Assuming they won't go back to the combat system of the past-gen AC games which had the focus on the instant-counter kill feature, which combat system would you like the next AC entry to take forward and develop?

Generally speaking, I felt Syndicate's combat was far easier than any of the AC games before it - especially once you reached level 10 - so whilst I appreciated the faster combat and impressive animations with the main weapons you could equip it really felt like a step backwards where even level 10 enemies felt redundant to fight by the end of the game.

In this case I prefer Unity's combat system far more as enemy NPCs were not only equally levelled throughout the map, but the standard of the strength of a single NPC was set quite high to begin so the motivation of getting top gear / skills was to match the difficulty of the enemies rather than out-rightly overpowering them.

Though not directly related to the combat itself, the presence of the Rooks and decreased placement of enemy NPCs (in comparison to Unity, particularly in the co-op missions) further reduced any sense of challenge in the game and this is something that should be avoided in the next entry.

ERICATHERINE
04-02-2016, 05:09 PM
I think Connor's fighting style was the best, compared to every other ac games. Plus he got the best counter kill animations. ^-^

SixKeys
04-02-2016, 06:47 PM
Depends on the setting. If it's ancient Egypt, I expect something a little closer to AC1. Unity's combat was suited for the era it was in - a lot of parrying with your weapon - while Syndicate's was tailored for hand-to-hand combat.

Sorrosyss
04-02-2016, 06:52 PM
I just want ACB's system back. Still the best version of the combat in the entire franchise in my view.

SixKeys
04-02-2016, 07:15 PM
I just want ACB's system back. Still the best version of the combat in the entire franchise in my view.

I don't know about best (I still think that honor goes to AC1) but certainly the most fun and fluid. I would love to have it back.

Venetica1
04-02-2016, 11:14 PM
Syndicate, pleeeaase, I LOVE Syndicates new level & skill tree addition, I beg you please don't change it

ERICATHERINE
04-03-2016, 02:05 AM
Syndicate, pleeeaase, I LOVE Syndicates new level & skill tree addition, I beg you please don't change it

Why don't you vote for it, then? ^-^

Venetica1
04-03-2016, 03:52 AM
I don't see a poll w/an option to vote, maybe my tablets being an arse

SpiritOfNevaeh
04-03-2016, 02:43 PM
I think Connor's fighting style was the best, compared to every other ac games. Plus he got the best counter kill animations. ^-^

Agreed :)

But I also wouldnt mind AC1's combat system back, but make it a little easier. I still have nightmares of getting my butt kicked because the combat system was kinda hard to adapt to, at least for me.

I think Unity's combat system was meant to copy AC1, but it had it's hits and misses.

The combat system in Syndicate was kinda funny, but not very realistic IMO due to the fast pace of animations, but I did like it better than Unity's.

ERICATHERINE
04-03-2016, 04:45 PM
I still have nightmares of getting my butt kicked because the combat system was kinda hard to adapt to, at least for me.

You mean "at least for us". Every time I play, sooner or later I have to flee a fight or I'll die. I have so much difficulty to beat the last boss and her troops before going Robert de Sable, that I had to to make a plan.

1. Go on a rooftop before facing anyone.
2. Kill as much member of her troops that I can with my throwing knifes until any of these letters arrive.
a. There is too much guards on the roof.
b. I have no hrowing knife left.
c. The boss is on the roof.
3. I go to the nearest group of civilians that can help me by going down the roof.
4. While the civilians keeps the guards occupied, I kill every guards left to oppose me and then I fight Maria on equal footing in a 1 on 1 fight. ^-^

SpiritOfNevaeh
04-03-2016, 10:27 PM
You mean "at least for us". Every time I play, sooner or later I have to flee a fight or I'll die. I have so much difficulty to beat the last boss and her troops before going Robert de Sable, that I had to to make a plan.

1. Go on a rooftop before facing anyone.
2. Kill as much member of her troops that I can with my throwing knifes until any of these letters arrive.
a. There is too much guards on the roof.
b. I have no hrowing knife left.
c. The boss is on the roof.
3. I go to the nearest group of civilians that can help me by going down the roof.
4. While the civilians keeps the guards occupied, I kill every guards left to oppose me and then I fight Maria on equal footing in a 1 on 1 fight. ^-^

The HORROR!!!! THE HORROR!!

ERICATHERINE
04-04-2016, 02:30 AM
The HORROR!!!! THE HORROR!!

Not that much, but yes it's very dificult. ^-^

MikeFNY
04-04-2016, 09:22 AM
As I avoid combat as much as possible, take what I say with a pinch of salt:

But:

- AC1 and Unity had the most challenging combat. When I played AC1 for the very first time I found it extremely difficult to take on 4-5 guards at the same time and the Templates scattered throughout the map where almost impossible to beat. After playing the Ezio trilogy and then going back to AC1, combat felt easier, much easier, but still a challenge.

- As others said, Brotherhood with its kill streak was incredibly fun, same goes for Revelations, Black Flag and Rogue

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YE3TaCiO3Us

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pq_ZEBVfXRM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdNac5peMOU

In Unity and Syndicate combat is like a stab in the heart, the fun element is gone so I tried to avoid it as much as possible.

PS: As always, I didn't play the bug-filled AC3 so I cannot comment on that one.

ModernWaffle
04-04-2016, 02:28 PM
Depends on the setting. If it's ancient Egypt, I expect something a little closer to AC1. Unity's combat was suited for the era it was in - a lot of parrying with your weapon - while Syndicate's was tailored for hand-to-hand combat.

The thing is, unless the next game goes even more forward in time than Syndicate, I don't see why they can't incorporate both sword and fist-fighting (though less of Syndicate's street-brawl style). I hope in the next instalment they return to a weapon choice like AC2, with a slot for a main weapon (which you can change), fists, and a knife (or bring back combat for hidden blade - one or the other) along with the return of enemy archetypes.

- AC1 and Unity had the most challenging combat. When I played AC1 for the very first time I found it extremely difficult to take on 4-5 guards at the same time and the Templates scattered throughout the map where almost impossible to beat. After playing the Ezio trilogy and then going back to AC1, combat felt easier, much easier, but still a challenge.

- As others said, Brotherhood with its kill streak was incredibly fun, same goes for Revelations, Black Flag and Rogue

In Unity and Syndicate combat is like a stab in the heart, the fun element is gone so I tried to avoid it as much as possible.

PS: As always, I didn't play the bug-filled AC3 so I cannot comment on that one.

Watching those videos I forgot how fun kill streaks were. I feel as if Unity tried to go back to a more challenging combat system like AC1 and personally I thought it worked really well, save for the glitchy animation kills here and there. Then Unity got bad reception so they completely ditched the direction they were taking with its combat and tried to go for a system more akin to the games before Unity in Syndicate - but without the inclusion of counter-kills and kill streaks there was no more flow in fighting and though the animations themselves were faster, combat actually became slower; you kill one enemy then another attacks from behind, but instead of a counter kill to keep a fast flow of fighting you parry, you hit the enemy a few times, but then he starts blocking and you have to guard break then do another combo to kill him.

Ideally I would like them to go back to the concept of kill streaks or slow, challenging combat like Unity - I assume the latter is more likely as it makes more sense for the developers to take feedback and to re-use assets from the combat of the most recent games rather than the past-gen ones.

LoyalACFan
04-05-2016, 10:13 AM
I've never actually enjoyed combat in any AC game. So... something new, please.

Although I have to say, from a purely aesthetic standpoint, please stick with semi-realistic kill animations... The "ehrmagerd so brutal" kills from Revelations and Syndicate were just freaking stupid, and looked like they'd be more at home in Mortal Kombat than AC.

Sushiglutton
04-05-2016, 12:30 PM
To be a bit diplomatic: I think Ubisoft should look for inspiration outside of the AC-games.

m4r-k7
04-05-2016, 02:18 PM
Although I have to say, from a purely aesthetic standpoint, please stick with semi-realistic kill animations... The "ehrmagerd so brutal" kills from Revelations and Syndicate were just freaking stupid, and looked like they'd be more at home in Mortal Kombat than AC.

This. This is one reason why I have always loved AC 1's combat system over the others. The animations were brutal - but for the most part realistic. You felt the power when you held down attack, the animations the enemies made when you hit them were realistic, the counter kills were not too over the top, enemies would get scared etc. AC 1 still has the best combat (and combat immersion) and I would love it if Empire replicated this system in a more advanced way, something Unity IMO failed to do.

crash_1232015
04-05-2016, 03:37 PM
Give opponents more skills: break your defense, knock your weapon out of your hand, fake attacks, knock/trip you over, lethal and non-lethal counters. I want a combat system that is exciting and keeps me on my toes rather than just mashing the attack button.

there are other skills i could list but whatever skill set each level of guard has, they should have a range of skills that they use randomly to make combat more challenging, less predictable and encourages more stealthy game play i.e. adhering to the tenets of the assassin's creed