PDA

View Full Version : Weapons Loadout ? Napalm/Amor Piercing etc.

BigKahuna_GS
06-14-2004, 01:24 PM
S!

I imagine we will have the standard bombs and torpedos in PF.

Will HVARS, napalm, parachute fragmentation bombs, and amor-piercing bombs be available for medium bombers, dive bombers and fighter bombers ?

( I dont recall ever seeing dive bombers/fighter bombers with parachute fragmentation bombs---for you that will correct me on this-lol)

Will amor piercing bombs be more destructive to a ship ?

I imagine there will be no need for depth charge type bombs dropped from a PBY on anti-submarine duty. Probably the submarines will always be surfaced.

In some of the clear water areas of the PTO a subermaine could be seen submerged down to 50 or 60 feet. That would make an interesting target.

Thanks------

CCJ: What do you define as the most important things a fighter pilot must know to be successful, relating to air combat maneuvering?

Robert S. Johnson :
It's pretty simple, really. Know the absolute limits of your plane's capabilities.
Know its strengths and weaknesses. Know the strengths and weaknesses of you enemy's fighters. Never fight the way your enemy fights best. Always fight the way you fight best. Never be predictable.

In "Fighter Aces," aviation historians Raymond Tolliver
and Trevor Constable compared Johnson's record with that of two German aces.
Werner Molders was the first ace to score 100 aerial victories and Erich Hartmann is the top scoring ace of all time with 352.

The authors noted that
Johnson "emerges impressively from this comparison." He downed 28 planes in 91 sorties, while Molders took 142 sorties to do the same, and Hartmann, 194.
________

http://www.warplaneswarehouse.com/planes_lg/MS1AOO_LG.jpg

"Angels of Okinawa"

BigKahuna_GS
06-14-2004, 01:24 PM
S!

I imagine we will have the standard bombs and torpedos in PF.

Will HVARS, napalm, parachute fragmentation bombs, and amor-piercing bombs be available for medium bombers, dive bombers and fighter bombers ?

( I dont recall ever seeing dive bombers/fighter bombers with parachute fragmentation bombs---for you that will correct me on this-lol)

I imagine there will be no need for depth charge type bombs dropped from a PBY on anti-submarine duty. Probably the submarines will always be surfaced.

In some of the clear water areas of the PTO a subermaine could be seen submerged down to 50 or 60 feet. That would make an interesting target.

Thanks------

CCJ: What do you define as the most important things a fighter pilot must know to be successful, relating to air combat maneuvering?

Robert S. Johnson :
It's pretty simple, really. Know the absolute limits of your plane's capabilities.
Know its strengths and weaknesses. Know the strengths and weaknesses of you enemy's fighters. Never fight the way your enemy fights best. Always fight the way you fight best. Never be predictable.

Werner Molders was the first ace to score 100 aerial victories and Erich Hartmann is the top scoring ace of all time with 352.

The authors noted that
Johnson "emerges impressively from this comparison." He downed 28 planes in 91 sorties, while Molders took 142 sorties to do the same, and Hartmann, 194.
________

"Angels of Okinawa"

Blutarski2004
06-14-2004, 02:18 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 609IAP_Kahuna:
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

In the realworld - AP and semi-AP bombs for anything with an armored deck - typically cruiser classes on up. Otherwise, GP bombs. In both cases, a fuze delay of about 0.025 would be just peachy.

With AP type ordnance, armor penetration will increase with release height. You may likely need to do this with certain bomb/target combinations. Don't know how detailed PF will get on this topic however.

BLUTARSKI

BigKahuna_GS
06-14-2004, 03:06 PM
S!

Hya Blutarski

I should of been more specific with my questions. I know how these weapons worked in the real world--my pop was a SBD pilot before he became a Corsair pilot.

I just wondered how all the damage modeling would work in Pacific fighters.

Right now you can sink a ship with 3 salvos of HVARS. I wondered how a large 1000lb AP would do ?

I always thought those parachute frag bombs were pretty cool coming out of
B-25 during a strafing run.

The Japanese used to drop white phouspherous (willypeete) anti-aircraft bombs against bombers. Didnt do much but looked cool.

____

_____

Robert S. Johnson :

The authors noted that
________

"Angels of Okinawa"

Yellonet
06-14-2004, 03:36 PM
Even the old Red Baron game did let you choose ammo, incendiary of regular. The former was much more effective against zeppelines and ballons, but packed a little less punch against planes.

- Yellonet

rpkiller
06-14-2004, 03:45 PM
I don't khow how these weapons work / what they do, + such. Care to give us a run down Blutarski & Kahuna http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

rp

ruf9ii
06-16-2004, 02:46 AM
AP rounds are denser than 'normal' rounds. for example, in the 90's gulf war they used depleted uranium in the tanks SABOT shells.

incendiary rounds have a combustive compound in them so they make fuel tanks catch alight and ammmo stores to fire prematurely.

wat else is there? AP bombs have more steel, more streamlined and less explosives.
im not sure if they had AT chute cluster bombs in world war 2, but during the iraq war they used b52 chute cluster bombs that dropped about 20 or so individual bombs. these bombs used floated down to ground and when in range used heatseaking heads and a rocket charge to target indiviual tanks.
dunno wat else there is u wanted to know? HVARS are the US rockets that dont need a rocket tube.

Latico
06-18-2004, 12:13 AM
Phosporus ordinance I think would be concidered incindiary. These are the rounds that burst into the white streamers. Those streamers are actually white hot clumps of burn phosporus that burns through just about anything.

I recall ready one of the action reports by an airman of the CV6 that reported phosphorus flak burst while attacking IJ targets.

A phosphorus round exploding over a ship would be quite nasty. The fragmants would burn it's way down through the ship all the way to the bilge. Image it burning it's way down to the powder magazine of the ship. KAAAAAAAABLEWYYYYY The phosphorus rounds could burn through the armor of tanks, too, with the same effect.

My Dad was with the 80th Chemical Mortar Bat and they used the 4.2. Their general ordinance was smoke rounds (for effect), fragmentation, and phosphorus.

Copperhead310th
06-19-2004, 10:03 AM
i would also like the ability to choose ammo belts.
espaecailly for the us. there were more types of .50 Cal rounds. we should be a able to select from differnt belt types. would be nice.

http://imageshack.us/files/copper%20sig%20with%20rank.jpg
310th FS & 380th BG website (http://www.310thVFS.com)

BigKahuna_GS
06-19-2004, 12:28 PM
S!

__________________________________________________ _________________
Latico--Phosporus ordinance I think would be concidered incindiary.
__________________________________________________ _________________

Rgr that. I think it would be interesting to add some the unique weapons that pertained to the PTO. The WP bombs that Zero fighters dropped on US bomber formations, parachute fragmentation bombs and napalm would add style to the sim.

Choosing Ammo belt loading would be another nice feature.

______

Robert S. Johnson :

The authors noted that
________

http://www.aviationartcentral.com/images/art/stokes/stokes-turkeyshoot.jpg

"Angels of Okinawa"