PDA

View Full Version : Upgraded PS4 to be released before Empire?

Sushiglutton
03-30-2016, 09:09 PM
So there are a lot of rumors floating around about more powerful verisons of Ps4 and X1. Latest today (about Ps4k as they call it): http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1202462

Price is currently $399.99 they were discussing a better CPU which would raise the price to $499.99 we were guaranteed the price will be no higher than $499.99 (He mentioned the CPU upgrade quite a bit almost as if they haven't really decided on a final spec could be a pricing issue.) also there is currently no plan for any type of trade in program for current PS4 users but that could change.

They stated that the GPU is twice as powerful as standard PS4 and much faster. They did not say exactly how fast but that is was running at a higher clock speed while being much smaller than the original.

It will have a 4k blu ray player and will upscale games that are not natively 4k.

Allready in developers hands (assuming this includes Ubisoft as they are one of the biggest players):

It was stated plainly and with no room for interpretation that there are developers that already have development kits for the PS4K and that they are making games that will directly target and take advantage of the higher specs of the PS4K. It was also stated that these games will in fact work for the PS4 but with considerable sacrifices made to performance.

About how it will affect older titles (for those hoping for upgraded versions of Unity/Syndicate):

It was also made very clear that current games would not be getting any type of performance upgrades by being played on the system and any benefits to older games would come via patch per game and per developer. When asked if this was going to happen the response was "Its a possibility but doubtful with the exception of a handful of games."

So what do you guys think about it? Do you hope current gen AC games will get a brush up? Will you upgrade?

To me it seems like Ubisoft were held back significantly by the hardware both for Unity and Watch_Dogs. More power, better chance of realizing their vision. This could also mean that Empire will be a bigger jump than we think (even though it will obviously still be available for X1, Ps4 and the difference doesn't sound that dramatic). Compare for example Ps3 and Ps4 versions of Assassin's Creed 4...

VoXngola
03-30-2016, 09:39 PM
While I support this, I still feel kinda bad for people who already own a PS4. But watcha gonna do, times change. This had to happen at some point.
I hope that Ubisoft takes full advantage of this. Empire needs to shine!

BananaBlighter
03-30-2016, 09:42 PM
I heard about this a few days back and I don't like the idea. Especially since I won't be able to afford it, I would feel a little cheated if I'm running a lower performing version of Empire, especially if they're also considering upgrading the CPU too. It's basically turning consoles into PCs. The one advantage they have over PCs is that they're easy to use, there's no worrying about specs and all, but now there is.

It was stated plainly and with no room for interpretation that there are developers that already have development kits for the PS4K and that they are making games that will directly target and take advantage of the higher specs of the PS4K. It was also stated that these games will in fact work for the PS4 but with considerable sacrifices made to performance.

Especially that last bit makes me cringe. I remember the 4chan dev who initially started the Empire rumour was also talking about how graphically stunning the game was. This is why I think Empire is one of these games that is being built with the PS4K in mind, especially after the PS4 clearly not even coping with Unity.

cawatrooper9
03-30-2016, 10:02 PM
Let's not forget that a huge part of Unity's performance issues was the fact that the "always online" factor really messed with the game.

I'm sure the developers will be able to make a truly great looking game in the future. Look at the boxy Assassins Creed 2 graphics compared to the beauty of Black Flag- heck look at ACII compared to ACB, the game that immediately followed it!

Software in a console's earlier years can improve, even if the hardware doesn't, as long as developers are able to learn how to truly take advantage of what is available to them. Maybe the 4K will be able to handle more, but I have faith that the regular old PS4 will do just fine, given the chance.

BananaBlighter
03-30-2016, 10:28 PM
Let's not forget that a huge part of Unity's performance issues was the fact that the "always online" factor really messed with the game.

I'm sure the developers will be able to make a truly great looking game in the future. Look at the boxy Assassins Creed 2 graphics compared to the beauty of Black Flag- heck look at ACII compared to ACB, the game that immediately followed it!

Software in a console's earlier years can improve, even if the hardware doesn't, as long as developers are able to learn how to truly take advantage of what is available to them. Maybe the 4K will be able to handle more, but I have faith that the regular old PS4 will do just fine, given the chance.

You're right about the online thing, and apparently there's no multiplayer of any kind in Empire so hopefully we won't be seeing that again.

The thing is that the current gen consoles are far more outdated than the previous generation were at about this time. Though yes we probably will see improvement, part of the reason Sony are resorting to this is that the PS4 is already really outdated. There was even some news a while back about some big guy at Microsoft considering incremental upgrades to the Xbox.

ze_topazio
03-30-2016, 11:24 PM
I don't even have a PS4, yet even I feel cheated and I'm a bit salty over this just like I was when the New 3DS was announced.

m4r-k7
03-31-2016, 12:18 AM
Man if this PS4k thing is actually true, I am not going to lie I am gonna be pretty p*ssed. I mean its kinda a stab in the back to those who supported the PS4 from the beginning (making PS4 hugely successful). I mean I bought mine near when it was launched but I also feel bad for those who just got their PS4 for Christmas. I mean if there was a trade in program then I would feel a bit better...but honestly if this means that games will not even run properly on the original PS4, many many people will feel alienated, which I believe will be catastrophic to Sony who are doing so well at the moment with the PS4.

Sorrosyss
03-31-2016, 01:01 AM
Agreed, I was an early PS4 adopter as well, and this move if true will tick me off a lot. A new console generation tends to come every five or so years but segregating the current gen barely two years in? Meh. I'll agree though, the PS4 seems to struggle with games hardware wise. But this will definitely put a bad taste in the mouths of most of the userbase.

MikeFNY
03-31-2016, 09:49 AM
Apologies for what maybe are a set of stupid questions, but:

1. If I keep my existing PS4, would I still be able to play the new, 4k-enhanced games?
2. And if yes, would the difference in graphics be the same as let's say what it was between the PS3 and PS4?
3. If I decide to buy the new console but my TV is not 4k-compatibile, would there be some sort of downscale?

Sushiglutton
03-31-2016, 04:14 PM
Apologies for what maybe are a set of stupid questions, but:

1. If I keep my existing PS4, would I still be able to play the new, 4k-enhanced games?
2. And if yes, would the difference in graphics be the same as let's say what it was between the PS3 and PS4?
3. If I decide to buy the new console but my TV is not 4k-compatibile, would there be some sort of downscale?

Keep in mynd this is just rumors for now, so there are no definitive answers. Also according to the source in this thread the specs are not final yet. Here's what I think based on what the internet-experts are saying:

1) Yes, games will work on both systems according to the rumors. This makes sense as there are 40 million PS4s out there that developer will want to target.

2) Probably a much smaller difference. This new GPU is rumored to be twice as good as Ps4's. The jump from Ps3 to Ps4 was 4.5 times (http://ps4daily.com/2013/02/playstation-4-gpu-is-4-5x-more-powerful-than-ps3-gpu/) (obviously comparing hardware is much more complicated than this and I'm no expert so take with grain of salt).

3) From what I understand "4k" is missleading. Gaf-experts don't think that the new PS will actually run most games at 4k because that would mean too pricey hardware (indie games might be able to hit 4k). Rather it will have 4k output and a blueray player for 4k. Games like Assassin's Creed will likely have other benefits like flashier special effects, higher framerate and so on. I don't think there will be any problems to play on a TV that doesn't support 4k. Will be downscaled automatically I think.

cawatrooper9
03-31-2016, 04:59 PM
Also, to be honest, you probably won't see that much of a difference unless you have a 4K TV.

NAVID4ASSASSIN
03-31-2016, 05:55 PM
if the new games that the developers are making for ps4k have worse graphics in the normal ps4, that is ok by me but i can predict that the normal ps4 will have so much problems when we play ps4k games in it like so many freezings or console overheating, even right now in unity menus ps4 fan gets so noisy, so i imagine not that ps4 will have worse graphics, new game will even damage the console, thats the only thing i have problem with not worse graphics.

pacmanate
03-31-2016, 05:56 PM
It won't make a difference. It will be specifically for VR and not to mention the rumours also state a lot of the power will be locked.

Considering the chips are different you would have to develop your game for 2 different SKU's on the PS4 front.

This power will be heavily pushed towards VR, it will not affect your standard 2D games. It doesn't make sense to release a different SKU that has 2 times the graphic power just 4 years after the PS4. Not to mention it creates a bottleneck anyway. The console is rumoured to upres games to 4K but the games themselves wont be native 4K. Only streaming services will be true 4K.

Sorrosyss
03-31-2016, 08:00 PM
Mmm well that's a bit more comforting then. I wasn't planning on budgeting for a 4K TV for a few years yet. I suspect by the time the next console generation rolls around we'll all be on it.

m4r-k7
03-31-2016, 08:38 PM
I still play on a 720p HD TV and I am absolutely fine with the graphics of games on my TV. The only thing I am scared about is if this new PS4.5 were to play games at a higher framerate, or if future games started playing slower on the older PS4 models.

Going4Quests
03-31-2016, 09:32 PM
What about Xbox One? I was considering buying a Xbox One for Halo and other exclusives (I normally only play on my Windows 10 rig).. But if this PS4K is true and theres no Xbox variant I might get a PlayStation 4 :O

MikeFNY
04-01-2016, 06:28 AM
Keep in mynd this is just rumors for now, so there are no definitive answers. Also according to the source in this thread the specs are not final yet. Here's what I think based on what the internet-experts are saying
That's very kind mate, thanks!

Ureh
04-01-2016, 10:34 PM
I won't be upgrading anytime soon, I'm sure most of the games'll playable and enjoyable even on the older models. Let's just hope they don't go down that apple route with a new one every year. :p