PDA

View Full Version : The art of encoding!?

Cynical_Saint
02-29-2004, 10:48 AM
Hey guys. While all of this help in camera angles and editing, Fraps or AVI tool, half-speed or full speed is all great, the area that I am having the most difficulty is in the encoding.

Can anyone or everyone post your full encoding settings? I have Premier Pro, Virtual Dub, and Dr Divx, and I cannot seem to find a happy medium.

Either my movies look terrible, or are on the order of 20-30meg per minute.

Additionally, I am recording a track in half-speed for visual, and am recording in full speed for proper sound. I then combine them in Premier, however trying to export the avi uncompressed, Premier is making the vid blurry for some reason.

Any help here?

TIA

Cynical_Saint
02-29-2004, 10:48 AM
Hey guys. While all of this help in camera angles and editing, Fraps or AVI tool, half-speed or full speed is all great, the area that I am having the most difficulty is in the encoding.

Can anyone or everyone post your full encoding settings? I have Premier Pro, Virtual Dub, and Dr Divx, and I cannot seem to find a happy medium.

Either my movies look terrible, or are on the order of 20-30meg per minute.

Additionally, I am recording a track in half-speed for visual, and am recording in full speed for proper sound. I then combine them in Premier, however trying to export the avi uncompressed, Premier is making the vid blurry for some reason.

Any help here?

TIA

BSR_RuGGBuTT
02-29-2004, 02:22 PM
Record uncompressed at 25% quality, 25 fps. Run the files again thru one of your editing programs (uncompressed again) to 640x480. This will almost halve the size of the files (depending on native resolution). Then run them thru Dr.DivX for final, choose "make a high quality movie" and use High Definition video (the silver Icon). Make sure it outputs at 640x480 you can change the resolution in the Encoding screen if need be. Compress that way and you'll be super satisfied w/ the end product. I did that w/my 'Carrier Ops' vid and the picture quality was awesome. You end up w/about 8mb per minute of video.

I have Premiere 6.0 and if I do the least bit wrong in the interface, it likes to shut itself down. I'm now using Main Actor..........lol.

http://www.teambsr.com/Pictures/ruggbutt01.gif

TDBONE1
03-01-2004, 03:20 AM
also another good suggestion is this

pick a codec you want to do tests with

then keep the avi settings in lomac set at 100%

do the highest resolution you can do (graphics settings to max in game and in ur cards settings)

click start to start recording record say for 10 mins or so

now play back that file through wmp or similar and turn fraps on (it will tell you your frame rate

also you can do this (its the quick way)
when you make your ex track (the 10 min one) goto ext view (f2) rotate camera around the plane at medium speed

then record your avi
then play it back and see if you notice any dropped frames (you will notice by the camera rotation skipping)

i know the AVI recored is supposed to record at what fps you set but if you are sending data to your hard drive (overloading its bandwith) you will drop frames

if you have dropped frames goto next resolution down then record that same track file again

play it back and note the resolution (cause this from now on is the resolution you should never go above with the codec you are using)

now the cool part

normally a person would think that using uncompressed format would yeild the highest resolution settings (WRONG)

you have seen the sizes of your short avi recordings with uncompressed codec right?

well it simply overloads your hard drives and you will drop frames!

try huffy or mjpeg
i almost guarantee you will be able to increase your screen resolution, have a quicker render time and a reduced file size

since for the same time of recording yeilds smaller avi filesize the hard drive no longer becomes the bottle knech and it is now the cpu

so by testing the way above you should be able to find the method that loads the cpu (not the HD)

after you find your screen resolution and the codec you want to use

stay with it and move on to

editing and when finished with that u can use either the divx or xvideo codecs

divx 5 is pretty cool and user friendly

its strange cause if i do not pick the correct settings i will have artifacts in my final video you have to play around

here are some big no no`s

you should never increase video size from a smaller to a larger (you can decrease) but you shouldnt increase
ex: capture at 640*480 then strech it to 1024*768

the codec compression works kind of like AA for vcards
i have seen in the pic mjpeg compressions settings a setting like this
1:1:1, 4:1:1 and 4:2:2
what that does is this
1:1:1 is original no compression for that algorythem anyhow

4:1:1 takes the 1 and the 1 (which are pixels i believe) and puts it in the 4

4:2:2 takes 2 pixels and 2 pixels and puts it in the 4

this reduces the avi pic size alot

but the more surrounding pixels you put into that #4 you will lose quality

ok so now you have those pixels compressed into the4

now you use another method of recording with a diff codec and you strech it well there is no way to go into that #4 and get the original data (it is lost)

so the pixels that were not there (they cant be cause ) the recording was done at 640*480 so how or what fills in the pixels when you goto 1024*768

IDK

i know the poster above states that this way works but on paper it dont look good
i might have to try it out and see

any how that is just what i have learned from my own experiences and from D.O.s help
props to D.O. again guys cause he spent so much time with me you wouldnt believe
great guy

link to my ftp server
http://home.bellsouth.net/p/PWP-aviationlover

msi k7t266 pro ru-2 (ver2.0 6380)
xp1800+
768ddc pc2100
ait 9800xt
sb live gamer 5.1
lne 100tx
logitech 2.4ghz cordless
ms optical mouse
generic keyboard