PDA

View Full Version : Heading to Ubisoft Massive (PC players ahoy!)

SixKeys
03-29-2016, 02:47 PM
As part of the Star Players program, I've been invited to Ubisoft Massive in Sweden from Thursday to Friday to attend a workshop on PC gaming. I hope to be able to give some feedback and ask some AC-related questions. Bear in mind, the only AC title Massive has done extensive work on is the Desmond's Journey sections in Revelations, so they may not be able to comment on current or future AC games. But I'm gonna try anyway.

So, if anyone here - especially PC players - has feedback that they really want to deliver to the devs, post your questions and comments here and I'll do my best to bring them up. :)

dxsxhxcx
03-29-2016, 03:14 PM
Nice! Ask them if they ever considered making those sequences similar to the playable MD portion of the franchise or maybe cutscenes showing us the events presented there as an Animus emulation would. :)

RVSage
03-29-2016, 07:42 PM
Nice, inform them I liked their work on Division PC "version" it was neatly done. And I hope they keep up and improve the standard they set and carry it on to the next AC title.

And one more question for them, are they in on the next AC title?

And hope you have loads of fun :)

Sorrosyss
03-29-2016, 09:24 PM
Grats SixKeys! Sounds like a fun trip. :) Props to Ubi.

I'm having a lot of fun with The Division, so I'd be curious to hear what their ideas might be if they were to theoretically work on the multiplayer on any future AC titles.

SpiritOfNevaeh
03-29-2016, 11:17 PM
Nice!

Thanks for the information. Enjoy your trip :)

SixKeys
03-29-2016, 11:56 PM
Got some more info from the program:

... we'd like to get your impressions and feedback about Uplay and other similar services and we've got some questions planned for you. If you want to plan ahead for this session you can think about the pros and cons of Uplay PC and other similar services (Origin, Steam, GoG, Battle.net, etc) as well as changes you would like to see Uplay PC implement in the future.

If any of you have ever wanted to tell Ubi how you feel about Uplay and what could be improved, here's your chance! It says "PC" but Uplay is on all systems so whatever changes they make will be reflected across the board, I should think.

Furthermore:

We will also bring up the perception of Ubisoft in the PC gaming world and what you think the company is doing right or wrong and how you think this can be improved.

So once more, if you want to make your voice heard about how the company could improve, now's your chance. :)

ze_topazio
03-30-2016, 12:33 AM
I can't really think of anything I want you to ask them and I know you can ask the right questions so show them no mercy and enjoy the trip.

RVSage
03-30-2016, 06:12 AM
Got some more info from the program:

If any of you have ever wanted to tell Ubi how you feel about Uplay and what could be improved, here's your chance! It says "PC" but Uplay is on all systems so whatever changes they make will be reflected across the board, I should think.

Furthermore:

So once more, if you want to make your voice heard about how the company could improve, now's your chance. :)

My long term feedback regarding uplay

1. User reviews publicly available , like in steam. This is one of the biggest things, Uplay lacks. This is important because without this store feature, uplay just looks like a wrapper around the game which , does not go well with people.

2. A steam refund like mechanism in Uplay will be greatly appreciated

3. In some games, state of uplay reflects on the connection of the game itself, isolate uplay connection stuff completely from in-game connection.

4. Integrate ubi forums with uplay like in steam

What I appreciate from Uplay updates recently

1. The badges, the ubisoft club thing. I really like it. Big thumbs up for that

Ubisoft has been caught with some bad PC "ports" in the past

with regards to good PC versions my suggestion would be

1. Add features that fully utilize a given PC's capability

2. Have the main team work on the PC version from ground up

3. Massive did a great job with Division PC version. It scales brilliantly with a lot of settings available. This should carry forward it all future Ubi games.

4. Try to remain vendor agnostic . If you use NVIDIA gameworks, use it only if runs well on AMD hardware and vice-versa. or better do not use them at all

SixKeys
03-30-2016, 01:55 PM
Great suggestions, RVSage! I'll be sure to mention them. :) I was already going to bring up the refund system myself (Origin has one too), and user reviews are a great idea.

BTW, care to elaborate what exactly you enjoy about Ubisoft Club? Not trying to argue, I just think the team would like to know which Club features to continue developing and which ones aren't so popular. Is it about the completionism (badges), the rewards, the XP system or what?

Sushiglutton
03-30-2016, 02:25 PM
Congrats SK, enjoy Zlatan-town :D!

Have been playing a ton of games on Uplay lately for some reason (well I got a humble, then replayed Splinter Cell, then I picked up Watch_Dogs and recently I just had to continue Rayman's adventures hehe). Anyway I have had zero problems, the service works very smoothly imo. I found an inbuilt framerate counter, which made me feel almost like a pro-PC gamer.

If there's one negative it's that when you buy an Ubisoft game on Steam you are forced to have both services open when you play. It's no biggie, but it's a bit annoying. The reasonable thing would be for Steam to back off. If you launch a game from Uplay there's zero need for Steam. I understand that this is not really in Ubisoft's hands, but would be nice if they could make some kind of deal with Valve for their consumers sake.

SixKeys
03-30-2016, 04:30 PM
If there's one negative it's that when you buy an Ubisoft game on Steam you are forced to have both services open when you play. It's no biggie, but it's a bit annoying. The reasonable thing would be for Steam to back off. If you launch a game from Uplay there's zero need for Steam. I understand that this is not really in Ubisoft's hands, but would be nice if they could make some kind of deal with Valve for their consumers sake.

I'm on the opposite side. I'd much rather stick with Steam than Uplay. It is annoying to have to start both services, as you say, but Steam has better screencap quality, better community support, more features and it's handy to have all your games in one place. The only thing Ubi might be better at is customer service and that's only because Valve's is notoriously terrible. :p Uplay would need to add all of Steam's good features before it becomes an actually interesting service on its own, not just a necessary evil.

RVSage
03-30-2016, 05:32 PM
Great suggestions, RVSage! I'll be sure to mention them. :) I was already going to bring up the refund system myself (Origin has one too), and user reviews are a great idea.

BTW, care to elaborate what exactly you enjoy about Ubisoft Club? Not trying to argue, I just think the team would like to know which Club features to continue developing and which ones aren't so popular. Is it about the completionism (badges), the rewards, the XP system or what?

I like the badges, gives you a better feel of achievement(Very similar to steam acheivements). Ubisoft club page has stats like kills, hours played, etc which I really find nice to read. Last use of XP to buy in game updates and even buy other games is really nice.

Overall it gives the profile a very nice feel to it. You can go back and see your progress and how you are doing against friends.
Have a look @ what I can see for Syndicate and Black Flag

http://i.imgur.com/Yy9ws7Q.png

http://i.imgur.com/b4rNdey.png

I like the view

One improvement here can be monthly stats, so that we can go on a contest spree in the community

Sushiglutton
03-30-2016, 06:34 PM
I'm on the opposite side. I'd much rather stick with Steam than Uplay. It is annoying to have to start both services, as you say, but Steam has better screencap quality, better community support, more features and it's handy to have all your games in one place. The only thing Ubi might be better at is customer service and that's only because Valve's is notoriously terrible. :p Uplay would need to add all of Steam's good features before it becomes an actually interesting service on its own, not just a necessary evil.

I'm not the most social person, so I don't know most of those features :). My thinking is that I always lean towards supporting the creator over the store. It makes sense that Ubisoft wants to have control over their own games and build their own communities. Steam's job is to facilitate the connection between creator and consumer. For many developers they also help with protection. If the consumer don't want Steam's features and the developer don't want/need the protection I think Steam should get out of the way. I can see why they are not as they want to protect their grip of PC-gaming. I think it's wrong though.

Assassin_M
03-30-2016, 11:55 PM
Well, my first suggestion would be to go ask people in sizable PC communities about what they think Ubisoft should improve about their PC platforms.

As for Uplay, they'll probably ask you a lot about the balance between social features and rewards (And whether you prefer in-game rewards or real life ones). Since I'm not really a social person, I don't really pay much attention to this.

One thing, though, is that Uplay can mess up a lot sometimes when abnormal processes happen. A friend of mine had downloaded Rayman Legends Demo and then liked it so they wanted to buy the game. When they started installing, the two entities collided and Uplay got confused so errors started occurring. It happens with a lot of games too when you download the demo and then the full version.

Maybe they could also improve support by opening a live chat option. That would help A LOT.

Finally, congrats :D I hope you have a fun trip!:)

ze_topazio
03-31-2016, 12:35 AM
You weren't invited this time M?

Sorrosyss
03-31-2016, 01:21 AM
Well, if we are going to talk about Ubisoft Club, I have a few thoughts.

Firstly, change it back to just plain Uplay for the name. :p

Secondly, I'd like to see them do away with the likes of AC Council, and actually integrate the forums and chat into the platform. If they want to do this as an app as well by all means, but I think it would be nice to reward the community not just for gaming.

For example, prolific contributors such as M and SixKeys should be rewarded XP for their post count. We could have XP rewards for top rated threads, staff picked threads, or even just upvote or 'tip' other users if they are particularly friendly or just plain helpful. It would encourage positive interation amongst users.

As a further step, rather than just seeing "You are level x and number x of your friends", lets have everyone's XP bars on the forums as well. If we have genuine targets to aim for, it would be far more engaging as a social plaform. This is just a silly example, but say if you reach Level 50, you get access to closed Alpha programs. Or level 100, you get a ticket to E3. Perhaps some exclusive in-game rewards such as outfits or the like. They could even take this a step further, as they already have seperated out the franchises within the Club. For fans that completely master their franchise, they could be invited to workshops, or given access to hidden forums for a deeper access to the developers for the more knowledgeable and pasionate fans.

Finally, I like the badge system, and having achievements to do. They add a lot of replayability. With Initiates I had a lot of fun trying to 100% sync each game, and to try and reach max player level in multiplayer. Sadly the Club no longer acknowledges these achievements, but as you can see above it still tracks them, so it would be nice to see some new challenges put in for AC, to give us something to do until the next game hits.

TLDR; merge Uplay with the forums, expand the levelling system, reward players and social members of the community, give us more achievements to promote replayability.

Assassin_M
03-31-2016, 03:30 AM
You weren't invited this time M?
No, sadly. I wasn't invited to any other event after E3.

ze_topazio
03-31-2016, 02:50 PM
No, sadly. I wasn't invited to any other event after E3.

You ain't much of a PC gamer anyway if I'm not mistaken..

Assassin_M
03-31-2016, 04:02 PM
You ain't much of a PC gamer anyway if I'm not mistaken..
Nah, I'm a long time console peasant.

ze_topazio
03-31-2016, 04:07 PM
Nah, I'm a long time console peasant.

https://image.spreadshirtmedia.net/image-server/v1/compositions/118301435/views/1,width=235,height=235,appearanceId=1,backgroundCo lor=f9f9f9,version=1449838637/brofist-/-bro-fist-/-fist-bump-1c-Shirts.jpg

cawatrooper9
03-31-2016, 05:25 PM
No questions from me, Six, but have fun! :D

col_96
03-31-2016, 07:32 PM
Congrats SixKeys :) Have fun!

SixKeys
04-02-2016, 07:10 PM
I'm back, everyone!

The trip was a blast. To be perfectly honest, I think I may have enjoyed it even more than E3 and Gamescom. While those events were impressive and cool, my favorite part about both of them was sitting down with the devs to talk about the games and the community and I wish there would have been more of that. This trip was entirely focused on that stuff. Giving feedback, asking questions, ideas and suggestions. Just honest, open, no PR-crap discussions with the devs and community managers. The best part was that I felt like they were genuinely interested in all the things we had to say.

I didn't get to ask any AC-specific questions, since Massive only worked on a small part of AC Revelations and the people we talked to didn't work on that game. Most of them were part of the Division team and more on the Uplay/PC-specific side than anything story-related.

Basically the team's mission is to "evangelize" PC gaming to the higher-ups at Ubisoft as they are aware that their reputation among PC gamers isn't exactly stellar. They want the company to start seeing PC as an equal platform next to consoles and all the unique things it has to offer. So they were mainly interested in what we think Ubi should do to improve its image in the PC community and how we would improve Uplay as a platform. Right now I think most people view Uplay as little more than a necessary evil, so to speak, and the team wanted our thoughts on what makes competing apps like Steam so popular. All we did, basically, was spend hours in one room spitballing and throwing ideas around and having the devs comment on them, and it was fantastic.

Sadly, I think this was the last Star Player event I was able to attend as Ubi wants to pick new people for the program this year. I am very grateful for all the experiences over the last year and I would gladly see other people get the same opportunities. :) I'm especially glad I was able to meet with UbiGabe before he moved on from the AC community.

col_96
04-02-2016, 08:47 PM
Glad that you had fun as a Star Player Sixkeys :)

Sounds like you attended some really cool events!

I'm excited for what the future holds for me!

ze_topazio
04-02-2016, 10:24 PM
Glad to know you enjoyed it so much, thanks for the report. :)

SpiritOfNevaeh
04-03-2016, 02:39 PM
Welcome back!

It's awesome that you were able to share ideas with them and how they're looking to create PC gamers equally. :)

RVSage
04-04-2016, 08:10 AM
Great to know, the re really keen of improving their PC reputation, only makes it better for everyone.

Sushiglutton
04-04-2016, 03:14 PM
Glad you enjoyed your visit! I guess Finland is like Sweden in the sense we are more PC-focused than say NA, so I guess it makes sense they were evengalizing PC (were the people you met Swedes btw?). Did you have any chance to tourist around Malmo?

SixKeys
04-04-2016, 05:49 PM
Glad you enjoyed your visit! I guess Finland is like Sweden in the sense we are more PC-focused than say NA, so I guess it makes sense they were evengalizing PC (were the people you met Swedes btw?). Did you have any chance to tourist around Malmo?

The studio is about 40% Swedish, but everyone speaks English due to the multicultural environment. One of our hosts was British, not sure about the other.

The trip was so short we didn't have time for tourism, I'm afraid. Malmö seems like a nice city, though.