PDA

View Full Version : Guns and ... rudder :) 'n airlons

kostek
02-28-2004, 08:28 AM
Oleg, pls before addon come, there are some things that need to be done.
I heard u're a pilot (so as I), so i suppose u understand some things
1. German guns (especially mg151)
I know many pepole post it, but there was many patches and nothing changed. So power of mg151 is to low, and also i think that runnig speed of mg151 is a bit to slow
Also mg17 is doing nothig against russian (german also) planes.
Think about this: how much 7,9 bullets can engine eat. Not much i think.
2. Rudder
When i push rudder plane change direction about 15 maybe 20 degrees. It's to small.
When i push the rudder in Puchacz, Junior, Pirat, Wilga, Koliber (polish Morane Soiler :P ) or Zlin 142 i can change direction about to 30 (maybe more) degres. Also my mask (nose) will come down (witch is not found in il2fb).
Now trimers, I couldn't find any stick (sorry for english) for trimmer settings (which should be somwhere on left side of cocpit), so i don't know how much i moved him (i can only feel it).
3. Airlons in Bf109 (dunno maybe also in 190, i'm flying VEF, and we got no 190 yet) are too easy to kill.

Else is ok. Thx for nice game. WTG (for *#$%^ translation: Way to go).

JG300_Kostek

kostek
02-28-2004, 08:28 AM
Oleg, pls before addon come, there are some things that need to be done.
I heard u're a pilot (so as I), so i suppose u understand some things
1. German guns (especially mg151)
I know many pepole post it, but there was many patches and nothing changed. So power of mg151 is to low, and also i think that runnig speed of mg151 is a bit to slow
Also mg17 is doing nothig against russian (german also) planes.
Think about this: how much 7,9 bullets can engine eat. Not much i think.
2. Rudder
When i push rudder plane change direction about 15 maybe 20 degrees. It's to small.
When i push the rudder in Puchacz, Junior, Pirat, Wilga, Koliber (polish Morane Soiler :P ) or Zlin 142 i can change direction about to 30 (maybe more) degres. Also my mask (nose) will come down (witch is not found in il2fb).
Now trimers, I couldn't find any stick (sorry for english) for trimmer settings (which should be somwhere on left side of cocpit), so i don't know how much i moved him (i can only feel it).
3. Airlons in Bf109 (dunno maybe also in 190, i'm flying VEF, and we got no 190 yet) are too easy to kill.

Else is ok. Thx for nice game. WTG (for *#$%^ translation: Way to go).

JG300_Kostek

Willey
02-28-2004, 08:48 AM
Rudders could be more effective for most planes, that right. Especially because all that propwash blowing onto it.

As for the MG-17. Nothing isn't quite right. But after doing some tests, I noticed it has ~third to half the punch other rifle caliber MGs (.303, ShKAS, that Jap thing on Zero). It's noticably worse. Also, the 20mm guns in general could have some more explosive punch. I've seen similar effect of 2 MG 151/20 and 2 SvVAK, but 109s and FW wings tend to break much earlier than a LaGG fuselage for example. So one could thin the 151 is much weaker than the ShVAK, but it isn't. Then there's the UB MG. Somehow it's projectiles don't slow down giving it a very high range and very good hitting power at range. You can see that very well when firing the MiG guns. The green ShKAS bullets drop quite quickly (speed wise), while the white UBS bullets don't. Maybe no or too little projectile drag in the code? BTW AAA projectiles and tank-mounted MGs behave similarly... Everything else just looks about right.

effte
02-28-2004, 09:55 AM
You have a lot of rudder authority in yaw in most gliders, compared to powered aircraft. You need it to counter the adverse yaw.

Besides, the yaw authority tends to decrease with increasing airspeed. Alas, a lot less. Ask any Piper driver how much he or she is using the rudder... many seem to think of it as the crosswind landing device, rather than a control surface to be used in flight!

Cheers,
Fred

lindyman
02-28-2004, 11:59 AM
Having flown MS893 (Socata Rallye,) I would tend to agree. However, there are two differences that makes me uncertain. One is airspeed. The fighters are made to go fast, and usually do. The other... Look at the profile of any aerobatic plane, or the MS893 for that matter. Now compare that with the profile of, say, a BF109. The aerobatic planes have *HUGE* rudders. The BF109s have rediculously small v-stabs with a dinky little rudder. I have not yet flown a Zlin Z142, but I hope to do so sometime soon ;-)

Effte, you're so right about most piper drivers. Most are very sloppy with the rudder usage. Doing it right in a climb is tiresome, though. It takes surprisingly much right foot pressure to keep the ball centered in a Vx climb (even though the difference in slip is minimal.)
_
/Bjorn.