PDA

View Full Version : Assassin's Creed: Syndicate - Wealth creation - where is it?

Barneyboy69
03-24-2016, 12:33 PM
In previous AC games there has been a system of investment in order to increase wealth. This wealth then in turn is used to buy and upgrade weapons, tools and attire and of course to reinvest.

This "wealth" is usually picked up from a casket or chest back at the main characters' HQ or as in early Ezio adventures from a bank.

At the moment, all I see in Syndicate is an occasional 1000 max pickup from the safe on the train hideout. Once picked up you have to allow it to build again but only to a max of 1000.

I can't see where any investments can be made in the game to increase this maximum amount - am I missing something?

Is this not a feature of this game?

One thing that I am impressed with is the ability to be able to play through the missions that are not directly connected to the storyline synchronisation. Many a time I have made a dog's breakfast of a side mission and wished I could go back and have another go until I achieve it properly.

If anyone can answer my "wealth creation" query, please do. I welcome all suggestions and advice.

MikeFNY
03-24-2016, 01:05 PM
Gang Upgrades is what you're looking for my friend.

http://www.ign.com/wikis/assassins-creed-syndicate/Gang_Upgrades

It's the last six in the list:

Shell Company - Own various accounts, to increase your revenue.
Rate of Income - Increases money earned in your vault by 25%.
Pub Investor - Purchase pubs to increase money earned and total capacity of your safe.
Pub Games - Increases income and max safe capacity.
Bookmaker - Bookies will increase your money earned and total safe size.
Tea Magnate - Invest in the tea business to increase revenue and total safe size.

This will increase your revenue as well as the maximum amount of cash available in the train hideout.

And yes, it's all done through magic, there are no buildings to renovate as it was the case before.

Also without visiting shops is the way you can upgrade your armour and weaponry.

And always through magic you can buy gang upgrades such as:

Bad Powder 1 - Blighter weapons occasionally misfire.
Bad Powder 2 - Templar guns occasionally misfire.

Many asked what goes on behind the scenes to make guns and weapons "misfire occasionally", but as of today no one knows how this is done, it's still a mystery :)

On a serious note, be very careful what skills and gang upgrades you unlock. They make the game incredibly easy and there's no way to go back to switch them off. The six I mentioned above can be unlocked, it gives you more revenue and more room to maneuver in respect to armour and weaponry but I suggest you stay away from gang upgrades like the Bad Powder ones.

cawatrooper9
03-24-2016, 03:59 PM
Bad Powder 1 - Blighter weapons occasionally misfire.
Bad Powder 2 - Templar guns occasionally misfire.

Many asked what goes on behind the scenes to make guns and weapons "misfire occasionally", but as of today no one knows how this is done, it's still a mystery :)

It's right there in the title, friend. The Rooks have sabotaged the Blighter weapons with "bad powder" and presumably even "worse powder".

But yeah, I wasn't much of a fan of the upgrade wealth creation system. Seemed even less personal than the Cafes in Unity.

MikeFNY
03-26-2016, 08:29 AM
It's right there in the title, friend. The Rooks have sabotaged the Blighter weapons with "bad powder" and presumably even "worse powder".
Yes, but who did it?

Was it a he or was it a she? Was it at night or during the day? If a rook is so clever to sabotage the weapons of the blighters with bad powder, why isn't he or she involved in the main missions of the game? And are the blighters so stupid not to realise the sabotage and replace the bad powder with proper one? :)

We're joking here of course but on a serious note think about how more clever and interesting it would have been if such an upgrade could have been unlocked through a side mission.

BananaBlighter
03-26-2016, 02:13 PM
Yes, but who did it?

Was it a he or was it a she? Was it at night or during the day? If a rook is so clever to sabotage the weapons of the blighters with bad powder, why isn't he or she involved in the main missions of the game? And are the blighters so stupid not to realise the sabotage and replace the bad powder with proper one? :)

We're joking here of course but on a serious note think about how more clever and interesting it would have been if such an upgrade could have been unlocked through a side mission.

Exactly.

I've said many times before why I hate skill trees, especially Syndicate's. Not only are most of these 'skills' just stat boosts (something which I think should be tied to gear like Unity), but they are given no context. How does this magical 'XP' that I earn from air assassinations translate in to an invisibility skill.

And on numerous occasions I've, like you, said that maybe the gang upgrades should have been unlocked through a set of side missions, which would them give context. For example, to unlock the 'poison the well' upgrade, we would have to physically go and disrupt the Blighter's water supply in some way.

And in terms of the regular 'skills', I think we should look towards AC1, where the abilities you gained after each assassination were for the most part game changing, and were given at least some bi of context even if the explanation was a bit far fetched. Again I think there should have been a set of side missions that rewarded us with these new abilities, while giving them context.

My biggest issue by far with Syndicate was the progression system. Hardly any of the skill/upgrades felt meaningful, and those that did, did more harm than good to the gameplay IMO. Even Unity had it much better. There were far less skills, but a much greater proportion of them were unique. The stat boosts were also tied to the gear, in such a way that, unlike in a skill tree, you had to take care in balancing stats like ammo and stealth to suit your playstyle.

Unlike in Unity where I can equip older gear, skill trees make you permanently OP, and this is especially an issue when there are several game-breaking skills like 'first strike'. Even in AC1, if I play an older sequence I can effectively remove certain abilities. If, similarly, skills are given context by unique gear upgrades, they could theoretically at any point be removed. Of course I should have to want to remove skills, because they should each be unique and positively game changing.

There are of course new tools that you acquire through the game, such as the rope dart, blow pipe and phantom blades, just to name a few from previous games. But those that are in Syndicate feel gimmicky. I have never used the voltaic bombs, hardly ever felt the need for the hallucinogenic dart, and rarely turn to the pistol and knives since they feel ridiculously OP. Seriously? I can carry 30 1-hit-kill knives with practically infinite range when playing as Evie. Stealth simply becomes a matter of finding a high point and knifing everyone in the area from there. The phantom blades in Unity were much more balanced, and I conserved them, not because I felt they were game-breaking, but for any difficult situations that may arise.

Lol I've gone pretty off topic from the gang upgrades in Syndicate, but basically here's why I hate Syndicate's progression, and why it ruined the game for me. Because I'm a completionist, and there are trophies tied behind acquiring all skills, I did just that. Now I wish I could replay the game and limit myself this time, but alas, there is only one save slot. I'll leave that story is for another day.