PDA

View Full Version : Detection, High/Low Profile and Notoriety

crash_1232015
03-23-2016, 11:23 AM
Hi all,

I would like to take this opportunity to get to know what everybody thinks about detection in the games in general, taking into consideration both the actions of the assassin and the guards'/Templars' ability to detect and make the decision to attack you.

For most of the games, we have seen a little icon above guards' heads that fills up yellow then red before they attack you - I wonder if this makes detection too predictable and easy to avoid. This is where I like so many others refer back to AC1, In AC1 we only had a flashing indicator to get an idea of the guards' mood towards you, you could also tell how hostile a guard was depending on if they had their sword sheathed or unsheathed, those who were patrolling were also more sensitive to your actions and more likely to attack you. And then of course there were the templars who would attack you on site as they are the only ones who know what an assassin looks like.

Alongside this, I believe the next game should put a stronger emphasis on the difference between High and Low profile actions and make you follow the Creed a lot more closely.

Therefore based on that, I believe a more in depth notoriety system needs to be implemented into the next game. I think actions such as climbing buildings and drawing your weapon in front of guards should increase your notoriety among many other actions. A higher notoriety should also lead to a stronger guard presence and result in templars and/or hired blades actively seeking you out. That way you experience proper consequences for your actions as the game becomes more dangerous to play and you are encourages to follow the creed more closely in order to remain hidden/incognito and you can carry out your missions with less to worry about.

So with this in mind, I would love to hear what you all think about this and share your thoughts and ideas.

Should some guards be more sensitive to your actions than others?
What actions should lead to detection?
What causes notoriety to increase and decrease?
Should we be hunted by others as a consequnce of not following the creed and not being hidden in plain sight?

'

MikeFNY
03-23-2016, 11:45 AM
Nice topic.

I completely forgot about this, I wonder why they removed it. Notoriety made sense when walking in the streets, unlike Unity or Syndicate where just walking could lead you in trouble because guards or blighters spot you.

I also like the idea of people coming after you if your notoriety is high, hence a reward for getting caught being higher.

They could develop it in a way where notoriety can only go up meaning that if you play the game in the "wrong" way you might end up with a very high notoriety level in the final stages resulting in the game being extremely tough.

Or if notoriety can be decreased it should come at a price, either by paying a lot of money(hence having to give up on an important weapon) or through a side mission.

To answer your questions:

- Yes. Although as the game progresses more and more guards should be aware of who you are and why you are dangerous. In the early stages you should be free to roam around without any problems, unless you go in a dangerous area with trained templars who would attack you on site AC1-style.

- Spotted during an assassination
- Spotted when climbing buildings
- Spotted when stealing
- Spotted when tailing someone
- Anything if your notoriety level is very high, even simply walking or entering a pub

- The above-mentioned actions, it should not decrease or come at a price(explained above).

Should we be hunted by others as a consequence of not following the creed and not being hidden in plain sight?
- No, it means forcing the player to go stealth rather than combat(we've discussed this in another thread) but I like the idea of having to watch your back Rogue-style if your notoriety is high.

crash_1232015
03-24-2016, 01:30 AM
Nice topic.

I completely forgot about this, I wonder why they removed it. Notoriety made sense when walking in the streets, unlike Unity or Syndicate where just walking could lead you in trouble because guards or blighters spot you.

I also like the idea of people coming after you if your notoriety is high, hence a reward for getting caught being higher.

They could develop it in a way where notoriety can only go up meaning that if you play the game in the "wrong" way you might end up with a very high notoriety level in the final stages resulting in the game being extremely tough.

Or if notoriety can be decreased it should come at a price, either by paying a lot of money(hence having to give up on an important weapon) or through a side mission.

To answer your questions:

- Yes. Although as the game progresses more and more guards should be aware of who you are and why you are dangerous. In the early stages you should be free to roam around without any problems, unless you go in a dangerous area with trained templars who would attack you on site AC1-style.

- Spotted during an assassination
- Spotted when climbing buildings
- Spotted when stealing
- Spotted when tailing someone
- Anything if your notoriety level is very high, even simply walking or entering a pub

- The above-mentioned actions, it should not decrease or come at a price(explained above).

Should we be hunted by others as a consequence of not following the creed and not being hidden in plain sight?
- No, it means forcing the player to go stealth rather than combat(we've discussed this in another thread) but I like the idea of having to watch your back Rogue-style if your notoriety is high.

I wonder if notoriety should also incorporate the regular citizens' attitudes towards you? If you have a high notoriety should they recognize you as an assassin? this would certainly be an incentive to abide by the creed and not be recognized by regular citizens as they may inform the guards or even worse, the templars themselves. Committing crimes in front of large crowds should result in a citizen going to tell the guards I think

MikeFNY
03-24-2016, 08:41 AM
I wonder if notoriety should also incorporate the regular citizens' attitudes towards you? If you have a high notoriety should they recognize you as an assassin? this would certainly be an incentive to abide by the creed and not be recognized by regular citizens as they may inform the guards or even worse, the templars themselves. Committing crimes in front of large crowds should result in a citizen going to tell the guards I think

Yes, that's actually what I meant by my "people coming after you" comment, having regular citizens chasing you around for the money.

Of course there's the risk that the game ends up being incredibly frustrating because you're being chased wherever you go. In that case decreasing notoriety should be a must.