PDA

View Full Version : Best Tactical Shooter?

BSS_Goat
01-26-2004, 08:54 AM

BSS_Goat
01-26-2004, 08:54 AM

noshens
01-26-2004, 08:57 AM
Counter-strike. But I quit it after 1.6

Art-J
01-26-2004, 09:13 AM
I'm not sure if all these are the right titles to compare. Ghost Recon and H&D2 are tactital games indeed, you won't find too much team tactics in Call of Duty though... (but I admit I enjoyed it very much http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif )

http://server5.uploadit.org/files/Haribo-Zeke_small_3_txt.jpg

Alexi_Alx_Anova
01-26-2004, 09:45 AM
For realistic game play with a shooter, you can't go past Operation Flashpoint. But it doesn't come with planning although you can command your squad from first person or thrid person views.

Also, look at the Full Spectrum Warrior development video. I don't like third person tactical shooters but I think I'll give this a go when it hits PCs.

Alexi

-----------------------------
Drug of choice....coffee

http://web.onetel.net.uk/~alx_747/coffee.jpg

WooHooToYou
01-26-2004, 09:58 AM
You should have included counter-strike.

The graphics are a bit primitive, but rest of it still works surprisingly well.

The one BIG problem is itā's infested with haxors.

It seems a lot of people donā't want to play the stock game and like to see through walls and let there computer aim for them.

Jim57
01-26-2004, 10:02 AM
Personally, I really like Ghost Recon. But, I have not played any of the other games you listed. Call of Duty is on my shelf ready to install though.

Jim

Chuck_Older
01-26-2004, 10:25 AM
I guess it depends on what tactics you are talking about

Operation Flashpoint is still great. Graphics are a little dated in many respects, but really it does still look alright.

For real tension, I say Raven Sheild is best on the list. Not a huge choice of tactics, but you'd better know how to pick the right one before you open a door!

do I hear the echoes of the days of '39? ~Clash

BSS_Goat
01-26-2004, 01:58 PM
BUMP....I'm gonna buy one of them....I am.

resev
01-26-2004, 02:28 PM
Operation Flashpoint.

There is hardly any oposition for a true tactical game like this.

You can go anywhere, you can do anything, and you can take any Course Of Action you wish as long as it doesn't go against the mission guidelines.

With all due respect, there is no competition against OFP.

http://mysite.freeserve.com/resev/images/2-picture2.gif?0.3524929147671928

Beirut
01-26-2004, 02:38 PM
Call of Duty was really something, especially the British bridge missions, but H&D2 took more thought and had infinitely bette immersion.

Call of Duty was a better "movie". H&D2 was a better shooter.

"Official Lancaster whiner"

Chuck_Older
01-26-2004, 03:12 PM
Well I think the point is that in Call of Duty (great game) there really are no tactical choices other than personal tactics of what you'll do. You can't really choose too many options for tactics, unless it's choice of cover, choice of weapons, etc.

For example, in Ghost Recon, a favorite tactic when playing the AI is to throw a grenade from cover, toward the enmy. then retreat to a pre-made ambush spot where a squad mate with a fully automatic weapon is hiding. You cover his flanks, and he mows down the searching enemy. He does this because you told him to cover this spot. Raven Sheild is similar, as is Rogue Spear (naturally!). Call of Duty has a fantastic feeling of being part of a group, but you don't call the tactics very much at all, you typically follow orders as to what to do, or you react to an attack. The other members of your group do not wait for you to set up an ambush, they press the attack.

(holy smokes but if I find the jerk who invented popups he's a dead man. Sorry, but my pop-up blocker seems to need an upgrade!)

Now let's say you are playing OFP. You need to attack an enemy-held village. How do you do it? Send in a few troops to pin down the enemy while you attack from a flank? Blow something up as a diversion nearby, then ambush? Observe from a distance and then send in troops real stealthy, holding their fire, until you tell them to drop the hammer? Did you cover your rear and flanks? There really is no limit in OFP, especially if you just make a mission with an objective and vague guidelines. See, the play area is so huge, you're only limited by the equipment you carry (and can find or steal), the number of troops you command (if you're commanding), and how much time you have to complete the mission. It's easy to think that I mean OFP just gives more options than other tac. shooters, but I don't. There is no end of options. The mission editor is pretty powerful too. You could literally travel for half an hour or more on foot, through enemy territory, to reach an objective. In one campaign mission, you're alone, hunted, behind enemy lines, and let me tell you, while playing that mission, you suddenly realise how open ended mission design is in OFP, because there's really no 'correct' way to complete the mission, you have no orders other than to escape to a certain location, and boy can it be hard to avoid all those foot soldiers, enemy AFVs, and helos. You can head in ANY direction and attempt ANYthing including swiping civilian vehicles to race past the enemy (doesn't work well http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif ) but you can try. I once tried killing all the enemy and taking their weapons to supply myself with a way to defend my little ambush spot. They flanked me, the sonsa*%@&^!@. Get the bundle pack of: OFP, Red Hammer, and OFP resistance.
Raven Sheild is a different type of tactics all together, but tactically driven. So is H&D2 which I love, a bit closer to OFP but nothing close to it really. GR has too small a play area to really enjoy it's potential, IMHO, but I still really like the game. I feel a lot like I'm following a script in mnay GR missions. You will not feel that way in OFP, I gaurantee it.

jensenpark
01-26-2004, 03:30 PM
I'm just shocked the results don't show that "Go back to Pac-man you F@g" is #1...

http://images.ucomics.com/images/doonesbury/strip/thecast/duke2.jpg

"Death before unconsciousness" - Uncle Duke

Chuck_Older
01-26-2004, 03:38 PM
Yeah, I was considering choosing that one, but I used to be really good at Pac-man. What a stupid game http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

maxim26
01-26-2004, 03:53 PM
America's Army is best of the best!!! Most realistic gunnery, DM, weapons.

Raven Shield is good, but AI is dumb and online play is a joke compared to AA. Ghost Recon - most stupid thing is that you cant see the gun in firt persom view. And graphics is pretty old. Call of Duty is not a tactical shooter at all. It's just a sooter, good, but shooter. It's OK to play one time.

resev
01-26-2004, 04:22 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by maxim26:
America's Army is best of the best!!! Most realistic gunnery, DM, weapons.

Raven Shield is good, but AI is dumb and online play is a joke compared to AA. Ghost Recon - most stupid thing is that you cant see the gun in firt persom view. And graphics is pretty old. Call of Duty is not a tactical shooter at all. It's just a sooter, good, but shooter. It's OK to play one time.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

AA, is only playable online, so unless you are playing with voice comms and with your own team, then you won't have much tactics at all.

Not to mention that in AA, you play in arenas, so there is little chance to make a true "invisible" approach.
Whatever you do, you will allways be inside that arena, so the enemy can and will eventualy find you, and at this point, the game will only turn into pure shooting action, nothing else.

No, my friend, AA relies on human tactics, but because of that, it will never be a free form tactical game.

OFP is open ended.
You have a relay point, and from there, its up to you on how to get there and using whatever means you wish, including the best approach you decide to take.

Do you want to make a silent squad assault? Night or Day?
Where is the entry point?
Do you need close air support? When do you need it? in what terms?
Do you need evac support if the mission gets awry?
Tank support? Long range? Full open assault?
Will you ride in a convoy? Small units?
Do you need a forward recon squad to tranmit info to the assault team?
How many men will you need to complete the mission?
Do you want to make an air strike? When? How long will it take them to reach the target?

There are so many variables, that it becomes almost impossible to mention them all.
OFP offers true free form open ended tactics, in a way that no other game can.

resev
01-26-2004, 05:58 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chuck_Older:

Now let's say you are playing OFP. You need to attack an enemy-held village. How do you do it? Send in a few troops to pin down the enemy while you attack from a flank? Blow something up as a diversion nearby, then ambush? Observe from a distance and then send in troops real stealthy, holding their fire, until you tell them to drop the hammer? Did you cover your rear and flanks? There really is no limit in OFP, especially if you just make a mission with an objective and vague guidelines. See, the play area is so huge, you're only limited by the equipment you carry (and can find or steal), the number of troops you command (if you're commanding), and how much time you have to complete the mission. It's easy to think that I mean OFP just gives more options than other tac. shooters, but I don't. There is no end of options. The mission editor is pretty powerful too. You could literally travel for half an hour or more on foot, through enemy territory, to reach an objective. In one campaign mission, you're alone, hunted, behind enemy lines, and let me tell you, while playing that mission, you suddenly realise how open ended mission design is in OFP, because there's really no 'correct' way to complete the mission, you have no orders other than to escape to a certain location, and boy can it be hard to avoid all those foot soldiers, enemy AFVs, and helos. You can head in ANY direction and attempt ANYthing including swiping civilian vehicles to race past the enemy (doesn't work well http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif ) but you can try. I once tried killing all the enemy and taking their weapons to supply myself with a way to defend my little ambush spot. They flanked me, the sonsa*%@&^!@. Get the bundle pack of: OFP, Red Hammer, and OFP resistance.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I remember that mission, but i only had to go trough it once, and once was enough! http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

You can only reach that mission, if all of your team dies on the previous mission, otherwise you will still go to the same objective, but trough other means.

I guess i forgot to say that OFP has full dinamic campaings.
The outcome of a mission can determine the situation of the next ones.

About my experience with that mission you talked about.
I remember it well, it was just too painfull an experience to forget about it.
It took me a full week to get trough that single mission.
I forgot how many times i died, easily above 50 times until i found a way to best it.
Instead of talking about the failures, i'l talk about the sucessfull one.

I find myself lost in the forest.
My radio is trashed, i can receive, but i cannot transmit.
I receive a message from Command Center, asking me where the hell was i.
Unable to talk back, i start scouting the surroundings, and realise that the enemy is allready inside the forest, and advancing from the East.
They are too many to confront alone, and they are closing in my position fast.
I receive a radio message, saying that a extration point to the North has been set up, but i only had 15 minutes to get there, and that would be impossible a task to pursue, but i had to try.
It would be certain death to head straight North, and into open field, so i start running West, deep into the forest.
When i reach the other end, i find several soldiers patroling the top of the close by hill.
Unable to avoid detection, i choose to lay down under a tree and some bushes.
I start sniping the nearest soldier, to draw attention to that spot.
It seemed to work, many soldiers start to scan the area, and i take the advantage of a good cover, to snipe'em one by one.
Five soldiers go down, big mistake, a T-72 tank appears from the other side of the hill, and starts scanning the area.
After a while, it stops and idles its engine.............2 meters away from my spot!!!
I crawled under the tank, beeing as silent as i could, and plant a satchel charge.
I receive a radio message, saying that they could not hol the extraction point much longer, i had to hurry.
Coming from the other side, i took some ammo, from a nearby fallen enemy soldier.
I receive a radio message, saying that the extration point has been found and was under fire, they had to get away, they couldn't wait for me there, but a new extraction point would be set up in a few minutes.
I start crawling North, trying to evade the tank range of view.
Its useless, after 80 meters, the tank found me, and starts turning its turret in my direction.
I knew there were more soldiers and a probable helicopter that i had heard before to the East, and i would almost certainly draw they're attention, but i had no choice.
I pull the remote switch, and the tank is blown into oblivion.
I receive a radio mesasage, with coordinates for a new extraction point farther into the North.
I run as fast as i can towards the North, and into some low vegetation.
I stay there for a minute, while i see a BMP and a UAZ filled with soldiers reaching the spot of the explosion.
I couldn't stay there, it would only be a matter of time until i was found and killed.
I continue to crawl fast towards the North, until i find myself out of the nearby enemy view, over a slanted hill.
I reach the road into the city to the South.
I get up, and run as fast as i can towards the North.
I reach a small village, where i found ammo, a bazooka, and lots of heavy rounds, but no enemys in sight.
I gladly took all i could carry.
Looking to continue heading North, i realised something important, if the extraction point was overridden, than the probabiloity was that i would find a large contingency of enemy troops, and probably some armoured veichles as well.
I move carefully towards the North, and my decision was a wise one, i used my binoculars and i saw six soldiers far away, heading South to my direction.
Maybe i wouldn't need to be alarmed, but better safe than sorry.
I headed back to the small village, and started reading my map carefully, and accessing the type of topography i could expect from the area ahead.
I start hearing some helicopters nearby.
I look around the corner of the building i was hiding against, and i see one Hind coming in my direction, and another one far to the East.
I hide as much as i could, i had fairly good cover, so it was time to make some decisions.
I didn't know if the Hinds knew i was there, or if they were searching the area for me.
I couldn't afford mistakes, and i had to think fast.
I look around to see what could i use to my advantage.
I certainly couldn't stay there, i had enemies coming from the North, alltough they would take a while to get to where i was, unless they were in pursuit, wich it didn't looked like to me, also i had two Helicopters scanning the area, too close to me to be comfortable.
If i shot down the helicopters using the bazooka, it would certainly draw the attention from everybody to the North and South.
To the East, there was an endless open field, so that was not even a choice.
I look to the West, and i see i would have to climb a steep hill that would take a long time to do so, and wich would then leave me in open field again.
What do i do!!!!!?????
I looked around, and i see a car, but it was a weak city car, completely unable to handle even a shallow hill, i would be dead the minute i stepped out riding it.
I then find a farm tractor, now this would have the strenght to climb easily, but it left something to be desired in speed.
I looked at my map again, and i see that after the steep hill to the West, alltough it was on open field, it was "all the way down".
Out of a sudden, the tractor looked like a good choice, it would have the strenght to climb the steep hill, and then would gain a lot of speed going downhill.
Allright, now i had something that started to resemble like a plan.
I had to get rid of the helicopers, if i wanted to have any chance of climbing the hill unhindered.
I would draw attention, but i wasn't exactly left with much choices.
So be it.
I draw the bazooka, and with two well aimed rounds, i finished both helicopters.
I had to move fast now.
I entered the farm tractor, and make my way uphill to the West.
To the North i see a large contingency of troops heading my way, suppored by tanks, looks like i made a good choice.
I get to the summit, and got in shock.
The place was crawling with scatered soldiers and one tanks.
Its time for some guts and glory, i have no other choice.
I roll downhill and start getting a lot of speed.
The enemy soldiers were shooting the tractor hard, and the tank missed me by inches, alltough the tractor was almost out of control with speed, it still bobbed left and right even harder from the sshrapnel from the cannon shell.
I'm getting very close and very fast to a nearby forest in the West.
No time to be polite, i run over a enemy soldier, and start braking hard to avoid crashing agains't the tree.
Did i make it? well define making it!!??
I braked hard, but i still rammed the trees hard.
No time to feel sorry for myself, i'm not "out of the woods" yet (pun not intended).
I step out of the tractor, and start running deeper into the forest.
I get shot in the butt!!!!
No time to stop now, the enemy is all over the place.
I run as fast as i can, i headed first deeper in the forest to the West, and then started turning to the North, where i would now be fairly close to the extraction point.
I had to cross a small patch with no vegetation, it left me out of cover for 2 minutes, but i quite ahead of the enemy, no shots were fired.
I get to the last forest, and very close to the exraction point.
Once i finnaly get to the extraction point..............surprise, they were ambushed, and so was i..........................

The rest of the story will be left for these non-believers to find out.
If my experience with this level alone, ins't enough to convince them of what is the best tactical game, then nothing will. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Maj_Death
01-26-2004, 07:53 PM
OFP is the single best out there, especially if you get the resistance addon with it. As has been said, you can do anything, go anywhere and accomplish the mission anyway you want. You also have a vast array of commands you can give your AI buddies. Graphics and sound are starting to get slightly dated but there are plenty of mods that upgrade both to being first rate again. For example, the ECP mod upgrades sound to being the best in existance by a huge margin and has no decrease in performance. Cheating does occur online but it is extremely rare. I've only seen it once over the course of 2 years playing. Some guy made a "church" out of sandbags, bogging down the server and forcing us to restart. He demanded we pray to him so he would stop doing it, instead we just booted and banned him http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif. In my oppinion the single best thing about it is you can be a real sniper in it unlike in other FPS games. In OFP:R, the hardcoded maximum view distance is something like 10km instead of 100m as in MOH and other such games. Realistically I don't think anyone's GPU can handle 10km with it but you can set it down to 2-3km which works well for most people. This allows you to fire your sniper rifle at ranges it's meant to be fired at. The maps are also fairly large with lots of forests, bushes, trees and grass so there is no shortage of places to hide and fire from.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ret. XO of I/JG1 Oesau. Need a fun not to disciplined squad, they are the best at being both http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif. Go to http://www.jg1-oesau.org/ for more information and to enlist.

Alexi_Alx_Anova
01-27-2004, 01:32 AM
The OFP bundle (OFP, Red Hammer, & Resistance) is usually available now in bargin bins beacause it is an old title. Therefore, you really don't have an excuse not to buy it.

The graphics where dated when it first came out. Lets hope OFP2 is better (at least up to the standards of AAO). The worst thing about OFP is the apalling clipping problems where you can fall through floors/walls/etc. or get stuck within objects. However, it's a testament to how good a game it is that despite these shortcomings, it won Game of the Year and has such a devoted following. Truly immersive and truely extensible through the editor scripting, mods, etc.

AAO is great, but unless you play with a clan, the tactics you are likely to find are RUSH, RUSH, RUSH. It's largely a game of exploits and rote learning the correct places to spam from. The accuracy model is also amazingly poor. Nice graphics though and the only game with realistic reload times.

Put me on a desert island and give me OFP and FB. That's all I'd need.

Alexi

Drug of choice....coffee

http://web.onetel.net.uk/~alx_747/coffee.jpg

Tempestate
01-27-2004, 01:52 AM
operation Flashpoint resistance hand down

I have never seen a bigger variety of mods and vehicles, there are literally hundreds of new men and vehicles maps etc

Ravenshiled I used to like but the scope is too small

Tully__
01-27-2004, 02:17 AM
I haven't seen Call of Duty. Of the others, H&D2 is my fave.

=================================================

http://members.optusnet.com.au/tully_78th/Corsair.jpg (http://www.mudmovers.com/sturmovik_101/FAQ.htm)

IL2 Forums Moderator
Forum Terms of Use (http://www.ubi.com/US/Info/TermsOfUse.htm)

Salut
Tully

SodBuster43
01-27-2004, 02:25 AM
Operation Flashpoint all the way !!! There are simply no other games like it. Too bad it is not as popular as the arcade shooters like Call Of Duty. Operation Flashpoint is not really a game but a "tactical battlefield simulator". In fact, many military simulators are based on this game engine. The USA Marine Corps uses a modified version of Operation Flashpoint. It is called something like VBS (Virtual Battlefield Simulator).

What other game offers complete squad level control, flyable choppers (and planes, although not as good), driveable armoured and support vehicles, even civilian vehicles, and such attention to detail.

The worlds in Operation Flashpoint are huge. 12.5km x 12.5km default size plus the game supports even larger terrain.

A very complete mission builder where the sky is the limit. Whatever you can dream up you can do with this game. Complete support for user created scripting, voice and sound file creation, etc. etc. In other words the game is wide open to your own creative talents.

LOADS OF VERY NICE ADDONS !!!! including WWII armour, vehicles and planes. The support for addons is tremendous !!!

Online play is fabulous!!! The only drawback, no "join in progress" gameplay. You are not stuck with any canned mission types because you can create anything your heart desires in the editor. Learn some scripting and magic can be performed for sure.

Even better yet, Operation Flashpoint 2 is currently in the works and I'll bet it will be a masterpiece of battlefield simulation.

I have tried all the other games and I have taken them all back to the store except for this one. It just keeps going and going.... http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

Menthol_moose
01-27-2004, 02:58 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by resev:
Operation Flashpoint.

There is hardly any oposition for a true tactical game like this.

You can go anywhere, you can do anything, and you can take any Course Of Action you wish as long as it doesn't go against the mission guidelines.

With all due respect, there is no competition against OFP.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Operation flashpoint cant be stressed enough.
get the gold edition pack, three games on one cd. Heaps of MOD and community out there. Truely a landmark and addictive game.

http://simpsons.metropoliglobal.com/fotogramas/2f13/09.jpg

Eh, mates! What's the good word?

lazio5
01-27-2004, 03:16 AM
amazing, i have all of those games. Someone that values offline tactical play will be very disapointed with Call of Duty. I guess i would kinda compare it to CFS 3 where H & D 2 is more like this sim.

Leimboy
01-27-2004, 04:17 AM
I bought the GOTY edition of Flashpoint a couple of months ago and have had plenty of fun on the virtual battlefield since then.
Another thing that extends the life of OFP is the addon MFCTI (MF Capture The Island).
This turns OFP into a sort of RTS where your base is built (either by you or the AI as "Commander") and you and your team must "liberate" http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif towns from your enemy or the neutral Resistance.
I recommend this very much for everyone that owns a copy of OFP.
For those who doesn't you can buy OFP:GOTY here:
http://www.play.com/
and the MFCTI mod can be found here:
http://mfcti.sourceforge.net/

Happy conquering!

-Leimboy

karost
01-27-2004, 04:35 AM
In my collection CD-game

I have 2 most favor simulation games

A) EAW
B) Operation Flashpoint

or... and Pac-man too... http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif this game more fun, when you re-play it again and again LOL....

Yes, I select "Go back to Pac-man" if you did not add "Operation Flashpoint" in the list.

S!

troz
01-27-2004, 05:15 AM
hmmm, i had long ago bought OFP, installed it, played about 5 minutes and uninstalled it. I was very disappointed with it and thought the graphics were just horrible. I did not give it much of a chance. After reading all this i may have to give it another try.
thanks guys, S!

I/Jg3 Troz

John_C_Flett
01-27-2004, 05:21 AM
OFP on every level except graphics and even there it still has advantages. How many other games let you push view distance to 5000m if you have a fast enough machine and still let you see the colour of the other guys eyes.

I downloaded the demo when it first came out and its still the game I play most when I have access to my PC.

As said there are also a huge number of add ons and single player missions and campaigns. I think if SP is important this has to be the game, most of the others gain more support for their multi-player aspects. Even without the downloads the individual missions offer so much depth that some of them can be played a dozen times and still surprise. Its nature as a battlefield sim rather than simply a shooter means you can be part of larger and more varied engagements than anything else out there.

resev
01-27-2004, 10:30 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by troz:
hmmm, i had long ago bought OFP, installed it, played about 5 minutes and uninstalled it. I was very disappointed with it and thought the graphics were just horrible. I did not give it much of a chance. After reading all this i may have to give it another try.
thanks guys, S!

I/Jg3 Troz<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You have to consider the magnitude of the game.
If it had the most lucious graphics, it would be impossible for a machine of those days to handle it.
Hell, i'm beeing quite conservative, even a machine today would have a hard time handling the game with eye candy graphics and the over all magnitude of the game.

For OFP2 to use eye candy, and keep the sheer size and pretension of the original, it will have to rely on heavy optimization, and very complex pixel shaders, to avoid a very large number of polygons to bog down the less prepared machines.
Thats exactly what i'm expecting.
Pixels shaders is the the most important step forward since the implementation of 3D in games, It can turn milions of polygons, into only a few hundreds, and still keep the intrincacy of a heavy poly scenario.

The greatest example of shaders use will be seen in HL2 and Doom 3.

I never bought the GOTY, because i play OFP since CWC came out in 2000, so i bought all the expansions separatly.

Maj_Death
01-27-2004, 01:11 PM
OFP 2 will likely be the only worthy successor to OFP. If there is only one game I ever pre-order, it will be OFP 2. The graphics may not be as fancy as in other games but as has already been said, the view distance is huge. You can't have super high quality and be able to see 5km at the same time. It is one or the other and the developers of OFP made the right choice by allowing long range. Also, those CTI games kick *ss. It is RTS for the commander but still classic infantry/tanker/pilot sim for everyone else. I can command in them but I usually play as a sniper/sabatuer. My Dragunov and land mines own you all http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif. A bit of advice to those who play it, I suggest you avoid Montignac if I'm in the game, that is my town and none travel through it without my permission http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/mockface.gif.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ret. XO of I/JG1 Oesau. Need a fun not to disciplined squad, they are the best at being both http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif. Go to http://www.jg1-oesau.org/ for more information and to enlist.

LessThanZero
01-27-2004, 01:11 PM
Call of Duty isn't a tactical shooter. It's a frag-fest. A beautifully scripted frag-fest to be sure, but still just a frag fest.

Capt.LoneRanger
01-27-2004, 01:27 PM
Iwon't say anything against CS here. Played it myself for a long time, but hey, it's not realistic, as many claim it would be and it's not tactics to shoot at walls, hoping to hit a hole in the BSP-structure to score a lucky hit. Besides that, I rarely saw tactics in ANY CS-round I played - just rush and kill.... Okay, enough to this point. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

At the moment: AmericasArmy - it's VERY realistic and it's completely free and upgraded every 2 month at least.
And it's not true, that you can only play it online, as I read in this thread - this is nonsense. We're a pure offline AA:O-Squad and anybody can set up a sever in 5 minutes.

OPF2 maybe the comming immersion of tactical shooters, but before that, Soldner-SecretWars will be released and THIS will be a real HIT! http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

greets
Capt.LoneRanger

http://www.cptloneranger.privat.t-online.de/SIG2.jpg