PDA

View Full Version : When at convergence distance ?

wimtergoose
05-19-2004, 12:43 AM
Is there any way to measure the distance to another plane ?
When to knew when you are at the convergense distanse? My convergence settings are about 200 meters, but I shangces this distance In different plans.

Now I fire when the wings fill the aiming sirkel, but I dont knew the eksact distance.

That depends how big the plane you follows are.
Bombers, fighter ?

I need som tips here.

wimtergoose
05-19-2004, 12:43 AM
Is there any way to measure the distance to another plane ?
When to knew when you are at the convergense distanse? My convergence settings are about 200 meters, but I shangces this distance In different plans.

Now I fire when the wings fill the aiming sirkel, but I dont knew the eksact distance.

That depends how big the plane you follows are.
Bombers, fighter ?

I need som tips here.

HangerQueen
05-19-2004, 01:20 AM
Try practising with icons on for a while. Then, once you know how big your target should look at 200m, switch icons off.

Speed is a device of Shaitan - Fremen Proverb

karost
05-19-2004, 02:10 AM
I have a good information if you like to take advantage in LW gunsight http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

there have a very good book :von Adolf Galland, General der Jagdflieger 1944. The Shooting Guide (german only). by Adolf Galland ( pdf file )

please visit original source and download... here
http://rafiger.de/Homepage/Pages/Schiessfibel.html

I can not read german but in page 8-9 you can understand how to use LW gunsight like this:

R = AL x S x 10

R = range
AL = actual lengh
S = side ratio from gunsight cycle

example1 b-17 has spanwing about 30meter , and you see b-17 in 1/2x inside cycle of gunsight so the range should be
30 x 2 x 10 = 600 meter

example2 p-51 has spanwing about 10meter , and you see p-51 in 1x inside cycle of gunsight so the range should be
10 x 1 x 10 = 100 meter .... ( kill ranger :P )

...so have a good hunt in full real online http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

S!
ps. if someone know this book was translate to english version please let me know too....

SUPERAEREO
05-19-2004, 04:22 AM
Some American group had done a partial translation of it, unfortunately I cannot remember which one.

It would be really good if it could be translated properly into English!!!

S!

"The first time I ever saw a jet, I shot it down."
Chuck Yaeger

Yellonet
05-19-2004, 04:53 AM
Have labels turned on for a while and try to remember how big the planes look in your sight when at a specific distance.

- Yellonet

wimtergoose
05-19-2004, 06:52 AM
Than you, interesting information
I have no problem reading Germany
I have never playd with labels on so I will try it with the QMB and different plans.

dieg777
05-19-2004, 07:40 AM
WOW -hope someone translates this
Andy Bush has done something similar using RAF training in WW2-link to it through Tailspins pages

GUNNER
Gunner get a decent signature
Gunner learn to fly
Gunner learn to shoot
Gunner not run out of bullets just as I get on his six

ruf9ii
05-19-2004, 10:29 AM
hey yal
go to greatergreens website
www.greatergreen.com (http://www.greatergreen.com) and go to downloads (i think) there is a gunnery guide someplace in there. basically its a bunch of scanned (?) pages of a RAF gunnery school guide. teaches you to range and to pick deflection angle and distance with respect to angle. is a good 'read' (not many words, just pretty pictures). it is helpful though. and wat someone above saide was correct. with the wingspan of a normal plane, if the span is same as circle of sight, then it is 100m away. basically book says to measure fraction of plane against circle to guess approx distance.

good luck

karost
05-19-2004, 12:50 PM
if anyone get Schiessfibel.pdf file and if you can read germany and have a time, I(we) need help for translate in page 12 and 13 what Gen. Adolf Galland teaching in deflection shoting.

Thank you
S!