PDA

View Full Version : The wrong version of the P-40

Dmitri9mm
03-02-2004, 08:05 AM
I stumpled across an interesting fact reading David Modley's great book "The concise guide to American arircraft of World War II"
This book states that all but five (5, V!) of the ~ 600 P-40Ms build went to the RAF and other Commonwealth nations, NONӰ were operated by the VVS.
On the other hand the book states that a very large amound of the Packard-Merlin powered P-40F served were sent to the USSR under lend lease INCLUDING most of the 250 aircraft originally reserved for the RAF.
Why not model the P-40F instead (gives us a chance to expierience the Melin) and get rid of an aircraft that never actually flew on the Eastern Front!
I sure hope that the information in Mondeys book is correct, or I will have made trouble for nothing!

Dmitri9mm
03-02-2004, 08:05 AM
I stumpled across an interesting fact reading David Modley's great book "The concise guide to American arircraft of World War II"
This book states that all but five (5, V!) of the ~ 600 P-40Ms build went to the RAF and other Commonwealth nations, NONӰ were operated by the VVS.
On the other hand the book states that a very large amound of the Packard-Merlin powered P-40F served were sent to the USSR under lend lease INCLUDING most of the 250 aircraft originally reserved for the RAF.
Why not model the P-40F instead (gives us a chance to expierience the Melin) and get rid of an aircraft that never actually flew on the Eastern Front!
I sure hope that the information in Mondeys book is correct, or I will have made trouble for nothing!

Dmitri9mm
03-02-2004, 08:32 AM
Please someone reply! Isn't this important? Or am I just wrong?

Korolov
03-02-2004, 08:34 AM
This isn't a strict eastern front sim anymore. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

http://www.mechmodels.com/images/newsig1.jpg

Dmitri9mm
03-02-2004, 08:38 AM
True, but neither do we have a map of North Africa witch is where the P-40M actually saw action!

Oleg_Maddox
03-02-2004, 10:43 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dmitri9mm:
I sure hope that the information in Mondeys book is correct, or I will have made trouble for nothing!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry to say but your book isn't right.
Russinas had P-40M in a good amount http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
Instead they didn't like to receive the planes with Merlins after they had very bad experience in service with the Merlins on Hurricanes...
They received just several P-40F.
And for sure P-40s were are going from UK http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Dmitri9mm
03-02-2004, 11:03 AM
Well if Oleg himself is sure about this issue, then I have nothing more to say :-)
I think I'll write to David Modley though!

Chuck_Older
03-02-2004, 03:05 PM
I have a couple of Mondey's works and in general they are very good. But I always double check the info he gives with another source. I don't think it's his fault really, some of the info he got was probably thought to be right at the time, and the actuality of it was discovered later.

Oleg, if you're still reading this, I think we have the wrong Curtiss fighter, too...but I think we should have a Hawk 81A-2 :) Just a suggestion.

PS
thanks for all the great work

Wave bub-bub-bub-bye to the boss, it's your profit, it's his loss~ Clash

butch2k
03-02-2004, 03:26 PM
AFAIK of a total of 2097 P-40 delivered to Russian about 200-220 were P-40M. The RAF delivered the whole FS100-FS269 block to Russia.

necrobaron
03-02-2004, 05:16 PM
Well, it's not an F,but someone is doing either a P-40B or C. I think quite a number of them were sent to the VVS.

"Not all who wander are lost."

rbstr44
03-02-2004, 08:37 PM
Interesting thread. Thanks for the good discussion. S!