PDA

View Full Version : FB emulates RL - fun mission

XyZspineZyX
08-09-2003, 03:01 AM
My wife has always complained that I drive around on fumes, and one time I actually ran out of gas and coasted to a stop at the gas pump. Now I've managed to repeat that RL feat in FB.

I was just killing time waiting for the P****, flying the Experten Campaign. I'm on about Mission 57 or so, at the gates of Moscow with fuel supplies running low, so we're flying with only 50% load. I got distracted chasing and shooting down a Soviet bomber well behind enemy lines, and turned for home very low on fuel. I throttled down to what seemed likely to be the most efficient cruising speed, and held my breath as I sneaked back to base. Just after I landed, I ran out of gas and my engine sputtered to a stop. What a cool game!

Wir sind die schwarzen Husaren der Luft,
Die Stukas, die Stukas, die Stukas.

... "Stuka-Lied"

XyZspineZyX
08-09-2003, 03:01 AM
My wife has always complained that I drive around on fumes, and one time I actually ran out of gas and coasted to a stop at the gas pump. Now I've managed to repeat that RL feat in FB.

I was just killing time waiting for the P****, flying the Experten Campaign. I'm on about Mission 57 or so, at the gates of Moscow with fuel supplies running low, so we're flying with only 50% load. I got distracted chasing and shooting down a Soviet bomber well behind enemy lines, and turned for home very low on fuel. I throttled down to what seemed likely to be the most efficient cruising speed, and held my breath as I sneaked back to base. Just after I landed, I ran out of gas and my engine sputtered to a stop. What a cool game!

Wir sind die schwarzen Husaren der Luft,
Die Stukas, die Stukas, die Stukas.

... "Stuka-Lied"

XyZspineZyX
08-09-2003, 06:07 PM
I've run out of gas on final before. It really sharpens the excitement of landing a damaged aircraft.

And once, somewhere between Phoenix and LA, I notice I was on E and passing an exit. In the middle of the frelling desert. I slammed on my brakes, and reversed up the onramp. I ran out of gas at the top of the onramp, swung my tail around on momentum, and coasted down to a gas station ahalf a mile away.

Sheer, blind, stupid luck. Having spent an hour in the desert at night waiting for my radiator to cool, running out of gas in the middle of frelling nowhere is a nightmarish prospect.

Incidentally, in high school, I was voted "Most Likely to Run Out of AV Gas Over the Indian Ocean" on the strength of a nomination to Annapolis. Which didn't work out.

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1951.

XyZspineZyX
08-09-2003, 06:23 PM
I was downwind approach with my CFI . . . yes, RL . . . and had about 5 very good landings that day. When he saw that I was getting a bit full of myself, he reached over and set the throttle to idle. "You have no power. What are you going to do NOW?" he said. I had just passed the "abeam with touchdown" point, and asked if I should turn onto base a bit sooner than I normally do. "I'd start now if I were you." was his answer. "No flaps till final!" It was by far my best landing of the day.

When flying the game, I tend to use standard traffic pattern approaches whenever possible. I had just returned from a mission last week . . . yes, in FB . . . and was leaking fuel. On downwind approach I got the dreaded "out of fuel" message, and my engine quit. I had been flying for close to 45 minutes, and really wanted this to end well. All of a sudden, I could hear the voice of my CFI: "You have no power, what are you going to do?" I looked to my left, and history was truly repeating itself. "I can do this!" I said out loud, my wife looking at me as if I were insane. I turned onto base as soon as I knew that I could make it around, and saved my flaps for final approach. At about 100 meters I gave her full flaps and landing gear, praying that the gear would make it down in time. It was by far my best landing of the day. This game never ceases to amaze me.

Tsisqua

http://www.cherokee.org/Culture/images/proctorZeke.jpg
"My ancestors didn't come over in the Mayflower--they met the boat."

http://www.theinformationminister.com/press.php?ID=612345111

XyZspineZyX
08-09-2003, 09:17 PM
tsisqua:
Wow. That's a great story.
Amazing how far sims have come in our lifetime isn't it?

XyZspineZyX
08-09-2003, 09:22 PM
AirBot wrote:
- tsisqua:
- Wow. That's a great story.
- Amazing how far sims have come in our lifetime isn't
- it?

Yep. I still remember my first sim on the spectrum 128k. Half screen blue , half screen green. A few black dots. A black and white dashboard with numbers. Almost Non- existant sound. Battle of Britain sim complete!

This is why I cringe when people are so unappreciative of IL2/FB today...

"Tis better to work towards an Impossible Good, rather than a Possible Evil."

SeaFireLIV.