PDA

View Full Version : Turbolence when in/under clouds.

XyZspineZyX
07-11-2003, 04:28 AM
I've made some observations, in the game some very fine cumulus-clouds are modelled and I haven't seen clouds that beautiful in a flightsim before.
Then when you enter the cloud your aircraft starts shaking, well, they are cumulus and that would happen in real life as well.
But when passing beneath them... nothing happens?? I've been flying gliders and small pistonengined aircrafts for some years now and everytime I pass beneath a cumulu-shaped cloud turbolence occur.
How about extending the turbolence all the way to the ground as in real life?

Just an idea/i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

XyZspineZyX
07-11-2003, 04:28 AM
I've made some observations, in the game some very fine cumulus-clouds are modelled and I haven't seen clouds that beautiful in a flightsim before.
Then when you enter the cloud your aircraft starts shaking, well, they are cumulus and that would happen in real life as well.
But when passing beneath them... nothing happens?? I've been flying gliders and small pistonengined aircrafts for some years now and everytime I pass beneath a cumulu-shaped cloud turbolence occur.
How about extending the turbolence all the way to the ground as in real life?

Just an idea/i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

XyZspineZyX
07-11-2003, 04:40 AM
thanks jmmoric. FB needs more atmospheric environment.

Try a 4 flight vs 4 flight (32 aircraft total) Quick Mission at altitude considerably higher than 7km, the 32 twisting contrails are the most beautiful in any sim I ever seen. And they don't hurt fps.

Try above 8km or 9 km because when planes get below 7km, contrails vanish.

XyZspineZyX
07-11-2003, 04:49 AM
I've already been there in an attempt to outclimb an AI Rata, it's just beautiful, unfortunately I had to dive away pretty quickly.

Now I've never tried it, but is Forgotten Battles varying the condensation according to the outside air temperature as in real life or is it at a fixed altitude?

Another thing is the distance you're able to see from the cockpit, I know for a fact, that in very dry enviroments, like Greenland in wintertime, you can see more than 100nm in 10.000ft, but in summertime in Denmark you're hardly able to see more than 20nm from 3000ft and the higher the less you can see the ground.

XyZspineZyX
07-11-2003, 06:23 AM
Do 32 QMB aircraft furball high above 7km. Forget the one little Rata. /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif Then post what you think.

FB contrails all begin to show at exactly 7km altitude. A nice realistic compromise. It could be variable however, depending on summer/winter and map (distance from equator).

The high level cirrus are also confined to strictly 7km altitude. Although I see screens posted here that show the high FB clouds made up of little puffs as if they are cirrocumulus. I don't get that effect, just white smear. /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

/i/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

Message Edited on 07/11/0305:28AM by LEXX_Luthor

XyZspineZyX
07-11-2003, 07:01 AM
The few times I've been under cirrucumulus-clouds I really haven't felt the same type of turbolence as regular cumulus-clouds if that's what you mean, the winds in cirrucumulus are more or less powerless.

On the other hand, in real life the big cumulunimbus clouds are very distingtive and can be standing one and one with rain comming out beneath and very violent winds inside and outside (able to rip off wings) But you would be able to fly around these.

One other thing I've been wondering about, I don't think it was common to fly in figtherformation straight through clouds in those days, wouldn't they fly around them? Going through is dangerous to an inexperienced pilot..

XyZspineZyX
07-11-2003, 07:19 AM
No~way~No I don't expect turbulence from cirrocummulus. I was letting it be known that other people are posting screens that have the high level clouds with a different appearance than I get. Its not a big issue.

Just never mind. Thank You. /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

Yes, going through big clouds was dangerous for even experienced pilots. Many accounts of flying into cloud and end up in high speed dive.