PDA

View Full Version : Next AC Needs Quality Continuous Ambient Music!!!

crash_1232015
03-05-2016, 11:25 AM
I am fully aware that this will not have been the first time that this topic has come up however, I feel like this feature in an AC game absolutely needs to be promoted no end!

The Ezio trilogy included some of the most amazing scores I have heard (and AC1 to an extent) - for example, remember traversing the rooftops of Venice to the sound of about 5 or 6 different pieces of music that created an incredible atmosphere that just suited the identity of that particular setting?

My point being, the music score is an extremely important aspect of the AC games. Not gonna lie, I thought the 'music' for ACS was terrible and rushed, no atmosphere, no feeling, no making the hairs on your back stand up, nothing.

Assuming we have Egypt as the next setting, I would argue that it is absolutely vital that the game has a good quality music score that plays continuously in the background while we are free roaming and moving from mission to mission. I believe it would compliment the game really well.

Ubisoft please can you bring back Jesper Kyd as composer? He came up with some real masterpieces!

What are your thoughts? :)

Jessigirl2013
03-05-2016, 12:07 PM
IMO all AC music up to Syndicate has been gorgeous.

Syndicate was great don't get me wrong, but a lot of the soundtrack is just the same melody OVER AND OVER AGAIN. <--- You know which one, the one that plays in the menu screen.:rolleyes:
I understand they want the music to link together but it just seems like a wasted opportunity for some interesting scores.

Unity had a better soundtrack IMO, really emotional as well.:cool:

Ambient music is something I actually liked in Syndicate, What I didn't like is how long I had to stay of the roofs for it to play.:rolleyes:

ace3001
03-05-2016, 02:19 PM
Syndicate has some really good ambient music. Too bad Ubi just had to **** the bed by having it not play most of the time. And with people defending it with silly excuses like "there's no music in real life", I don't see AC ever going back to the good days of great ambient music upto ACR.

Helforsite
03-05-2016, 07:43 PM
Yeah, we definitely need the ambient music back! I myself really enjoy procastinating in the form of collecting all those collectibles after I did all the missions and the lack of ambient music while parkouring in the last few games really made it feel cold and lifeless, especiallly when total silence reigns.

SixKeys
03-06-2016, 01:36 AM
IMO all AC music up to Syndicate has been gorgeous.

Syndicate was great don't get me wrong, but a lot of the soundtrack is just the same melody OVER AND OVER AGAIN. <--- You know which one, the one that plays in the menu screen.:rolleyes:
I understand they want the music to link together but it just seems like a wasted opportunity for some interesting scores.

Revelations was much, much, MUCH worse about this. AC3 reused the main theme a lot throughout the soundtrack too, and let's not forget "Ezio's Family".

Farlander1991
03-06-2016, 01:51 AM
Revelations was much, much, MUCH worse about this.

Revelations reused the mostly in cutscenes (and even then, it would be either Desmond cutscenes or dramatic moments in Ezio/Altair time), and a couple scripted chase sequences, The Bloodlines theme in ACS is woven in cutscenes, chase music, combat music, ambient music and suspenseful music as well. So there's lots and lots of Bloodlines in the game.

Though it's Austin Wintory we're speaking of, who composed Journey entirely out of variations of a single leitmotif (and made each track feel different while remaining the same song), so that wasn't surprising to me.

AC3 theme wasn't used in the game as much as Bloodlines in ACS, and Ezio's theme is pretty barely seen in his game outside of Venice Rooftops and, sometimes, woven in ambiance for a couple seconds. We actually hear only like 5-10% of Earth (which was like, once) and Ezio's Family (which in AC2 sounded once, and in ACB sounded two times in a slight variation) tracks in the entire games. The soundtrack has music that we never hear in games. Ironically, Ezio's theme, though now AC theme, is more prominent in Unity than in Ezio's games.

SixKeys
03-06-2016, 03:05 AM
Revelations reused the mostly in cutscenes (and even then, it would be either Desmond cutscenes or dramatic moments in Ezio/Altair time), and a couple scripted chase sequences, The Bloodlines theme in ACS is woven in cutscenes, chase music, combat music, ambient music and suspenseful music as well. So there's lots and lots of Bloodlines in the game.

Just for fun, I checked out the complete recordings of the ACR soundtrack. The main theme is literally heard in every single track composed by Lorne Balfe, with the expection of "Sofia Sartor", "A Heated Discussion", "A Familiar Face", "Last of the Palaiologi" and "Scheduled for Deletion". That's 5 out of a total of 26. It's even on some of his multiplayer tracks. Haven't checked ACS yet, but I'm pretty sure "Bloodlines" doesn't pop up in literally 99% of all tracks. :p

BananaBlighter
03-06-2016, 09:35 AM
Just for fun, I checked out the complete recordings of the ACR soundtrack. The main theme is literally heard in every single track composed by Lorne Balfe, with the expection of "Sofia Sartor", "A Heated Discussion", "A Familiar Face", "Last of the Palaiologi" and "Scheduled for Deletion". That's 5 out of a total of 26. It's even on some of his multiplayer tracks. Haven't checked ACS yet, but I'm pretty sure "Bloodlines" doesn't pop up in literally 99% of all tracks. :p

Wow, I knew ACR reuses the main theme a lot but I wasn't expecting this much. And I can assure you that at least more than 5 of Syndicate songs do not use the main theme.

Farlander1991
03-06-2016, 11:22 AM

Speaking of ACS, in its official soundtrack (which doesn't have all tracks used in the game, mind you), main theme pops up in (in various amount of weaving in/variation):
Bloodlines,
London Is Waiting,
Soothing Syrup,
The Churning Seas of London,
The Late Pearl Attaway (to be fair, it's very subtle piano there at the beginning, but Lorne has subtle tracks as well, but in the end it's more evident)
Everyone Has A Price
Waltzing on Rooftops and Cobblestones
Cathedral of Steel
Top Hats and Sword Canes (this one's my favourite, I think)
The Assassin Two-Step
Take Your Bow, Knave
A Ballet of Blades
A Gauntlet Scherzo
London Will Soon Be Rid Of Your Chaos
Darling, What A Night
Hooded Allegro Vivace
For Those We Loved
Bloody Presto Con Brio
So Much For a House Call
I Would Have Created a Paradise
Family (yeah, it's mainly Ezio's theme, but Bloodlines is still incorporated there)

So out of 30 instrumental tracks on the soundtrack (the other 6 being tavern songs), 21 has the Bloodlines theme incorporated in it, and to be fair most of those that are left have a couple notes from Bloodlines theme as well (not enough for it to make an appearance, so to speak, but enough for thoughts of it to be evoked).

And this doesn't even mention unreleased cutscene music, unreleased WWI music (where Bloodlines is used in a different style), and unreleased mission music. So Bloodlines theme is literally pretty much everywhere in ACS (the argument 'oh but it's different variations' wouldn't count since we're counting appearances :p as in Revelations also in tracks like Master and Mentor or Son of Umar the theme has a minor role :p ), and the big difference is that in Revelations single-player it's limited to cutscenes and cart chases, in Bloodlines it's in every aspect of the game from cutscene to stealth to action to, well, everything.

Also, the Dance of Daggers theme is reused quite a lot in the official soundtrack, though I didn't count how many times, but around 6-7 or so.

Megas_Doux
03-06-2016, 03:44 PM
Indeed!

My wildest dream if the Ancient Eypt rumour turns out to be true is Karl Sanders -Metal musician- doing the soundtrack. Imagine a sandstorm through the desert while this plays:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoQcUnh3Kkk

PD the music doesn't have a bit of metal, by the way.

Sorrosyss
03-06-2016, 06:40 PM
Fully agree with you OP. I really disagree with the developers of the last few games who have insisted on using "real world" music. The way the music disjointedly cuts in and out in both Unity and Syndicate is just horrible in my view.

I'd fully support Kyd and Balfe returning, as they were the only two that accurately followed the instruments, motifs and themes of the franchise. Some of their ambient tracks such as City of Rome, or An Uncertain Present, are amongst my absolute favourites. In my opinion, the music generally was far more immersive in the first fives games, compared to the eight that have followed.

lerox007
03-06-2016, 10:43 PM
I may have to disagree a bit here.

I believe it's actually an aesthetically valid choice to work with a recurring motif rather than going with too much variation. Video games in general really seem to prefer the latter, which might have something to do with the grand scale of the projects themselves. There you have the likes of The Witcher 3 - punctuated by a collection of wonderful tracks rather than anything coherent. That might be what you're going to get, having at least three musicians working on it.

The soundtrack of Syndicate might not be the best of the year, but it's definitely one of the weirdest. Wintory somehow managed to blur the usually rigid division between drama, exploration and battle music. It's something whose possibilities I wish may be further explored. The score also seems more strings-heavy than percussions-heavy (even in combat), which I think fits the period quite well.

However this is certainly not to say that there won't be any problem in implementing the idea or any room for improvement. We have obviously spent too much time in a hurry, ziplining from the ground to the roof and one rooftop to the next, sticking a blade into a guard's chest, hopping to a vantage point before taking a leap of faith - that really undermines the point of continuous ambient music.

And if you consider certain missed opportunities, then "Bloodlines" seems to become even more overused. Evie could have had a theme of her own, and Jacob could have used a slightly less serious one. But overall I'm more in favor of the idea of one or two unifying motifs.

Also I'm wondering what makes scoring a film and scroing a game different. Take some of the Oscar nominees for example - Carol's largely dominated by a simple, recurring love motif. Sicario's all brooding. Star Wars has greater variation but still centers around the themes of several characters. Games usually have cinematic aspirations - I guess that may also be true music-wise.

Farlander1991
03-06-2016, 11:22 PM
Speaking of thematic and leitmotif coherence, AC as a franchise doesn't really have one. I mean, there's no strong theming across the franchise like there is in Lord of the Rings/Hobbit, for example. Of course because every game happens in their own time period, each game's music by and large should be unique, but there are still many overarching thematic elements that lack any thematic musical connection.

Assassin's Creed 1 music is not based on any themes, it's purely action and location based. There are several actions: free-roam, riding a horse, investigation, combat, chase, hiding, moving to assassination location, etc., with each action having different music related to it depending on location. The only unifying aspect of everything is Access the Animus that sounds in every city after every assassination, I guess this is why it's the tune that most people consider to be the theme of the game.

Assassin's Creed 2 by and large follows the same principle, and yet it introduces theme via Ezio's Family which I've already mentioned here how it's more present in the soundtrack rather than in the game itself. Some of the most pivotal moments in Ezio's life like his acceptance to the Brotherhood or his speech in the Bonfires are accompanied by a theme of Venice (which makes it weird how the name of the unreleased track used in Bonfire as well as some scenes in Venice is named 'Salvation of Forli').

ACR tries to introduce themes. It introduces a Templar and First Civ themes which we hear in AC3 as well (probably since those themes were written by the same person). It adds some sort of connection.

But then there's a thing like in AC3 we have two variations of the Kenway family theme, one for Haytham and one for Connor. One would expect Edward to get his own variation of the theme. But he didn't, he's got his own sound. Which to me personally was disappointing. What makes it weirder that the Templar leitmotif from ACR and AC3 is still present in a Carribean variation in AC4 (well, it's very similar at least).

And then Ubi decided to make Ezio's theme an overarching theme of the entire franchise and of the Assassin Brotherhood. Which makes it weirder, because for example ACU uses it frequently for Assassins, but ACS sounds the theme only once (though to be fair, Brotherhood isn't very prominent in the game) just to get it over with.

And then there's Rogue that not only takes Ezio's theme, but a bunch of other tunes from Ezio's games as well (including the Venice flight theme), but the only thing that it takes from AC3 is some bits for the main title and that's it. Despite Rogue happening in the same timeframe as AC3 and the game taking themes from previous games, we don't get any variations on the colonial city theme, and we don't even hear the Templar theme even the game is about a guy becoming a Templar. Heck, there's no Haytham's theme even though the guy is right there in the game for a prominent amount of time.

It's all so weird from a musical perspective. They try to add connection across games but it's still very disjointed.

Speaking of AC3 themes, I personally think it's a crime that this piece (more specifically starting from 2:05) wasn't present on the official soundtrack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FccObUK1p6I

SixKeys
03-07-2016, 07:00 AM
Speaking of ACS, in its official soundtrack (which doesn't have all tracks used in the game, mind you), main theme pops up in (in various amount of weaving in/variation):
Bloodlines,
London Is Waiting,
Soothing Syrup,
The Late Pearl Attaway (to be fair, it's very subtle piano there at the beginning, but Lorne has subtle tracks as well, but in the end it's more evident)
Everyone Has A Price
Cathedral of Steel
The Assassin Two-Step
Take Your Bow, Knave
A Ballet of Blades
A Gauntlet Scherzo
Darling, What A Night
Hooded Allegro Vivace
For Those We Loved
Bloody Presto Con Brio
So Much For a House Call
Family (yeah, it's mainly Ezio's theme, but Bloodlines is still incorporated there)

So out of 30 instrumental tracks on the soundtrack (the other 6 being tavern songs), 21 has the Bloodlines theme incorporated in it, and to be fair most of those that are left have a couple notes from Bloodlines theme as well (not enough for it to make an appearance, so to speak, but enough for thoughts of it to be evoked).

And this doesn't even mention unreleased cutscene music, unreleased WWI music (where Bloodlines is used in a different style), and unreleased mission music. So Bloodlines theme is literally pretty much everywhere in ACS (the argument 'oh but it's different variations' wouldn't count since we're counting appearances :p as in Revelations also in tracks like Master and Mentor or Son of Umar the theme has a minor role :p ), and the big difference is that in Revelations single-player it's limited to cutscenes and cart chases, in Bloodlines it's in every aspect of the game from cutscene to stealth to action to, well, everything.

Also, the Dance of Daggers theme is reused quite a lot in the official soundtrack, though I didn't count how many times, but around 6-7 or so.

Fair enough. I'll admit I'm not as familiar with the ACS soundtrack, not having listened to the full thing so much. Maybe the ACR theme is just more noticeable, being a simple three-note melody? Kind of like the heavy bass single note in Inception (you know the one (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2jUhnCU9iA)) became synonymous with the whole soundtrack.

Farlander1991
03-07-2016, 10:55 AM
Fair enough. I'll admit I'm not as familiar with the ACS soundtrack, not having listened to the full thing so much. Maybe the ACR theme is just more noticeable, being a simple three-note melody? Kind of like the heavy bass single note in Inception (you know the one (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2jUhnCU9iA)) became synonymous with the whole soundtrack.

Yeah, there's that.

There's also the fact that, to be fair, ACS has much more variations of its theme than ACR does. Like, for example, there's a variation where the first couple notes are strings and the rest of the phrase is piano.

ACR has less variations of its theme throughout the game, which might make it more noticeable. But I'm sure Lorne would've wanted to do more and to do more cutscene music (AC3 has a lot of variations of its themes so we know Lorne is capable of that), but there's only so much you can do for a game that as a whole was done in 11 months (and the music part probably would have a capacity of a couple months only as they wouldn't be able to work on it, at least cutscene-wise, too early, nor they couldn't work on it too late).

Helforsite
03-07-2016, 11:06 AM
I really want the soundtrack for each game to be made by Jesper Kyd and another person who really knows the the musical background and identity of the location of the game.
This would mean that they would work together to make a soundtrack that is familiar and befitting the series as a whole while at the same unique and befitting the game.

Civona
03-08-2016, 05:06 AM
I think it would be the best of both worlds if travelling between cities and villages had the traditional approach of music playing all the time, and going into a city or village all the noise is either actual music in the environment or just the general sounds of the city.

And that includes when you get into combat or are being detected: if it's in a no-soundtrack zone, then no soundtrack should play.

But if the choice has to be across all areas, then I'd say either fully commit to a soundtrack or fully commit to in-world sounds. Unity's blending felt so weird and out of nowhere, when the same three "combat over" stingers would trigger out of nowhere during normal gameplay

SixKeys
03-08-2016, 09:17 PM
I really want the soundtrack for each game to be made by Jesper Kyd and another person who really knows the the musical background and identity of the location of the game.
This would mean that they would work together to make a soundtrack that is familiar and befitting the series as a whole while at the same unique and befitting the game.

To be fair, if the Egypt rumor is true, no-one really knows what the soundscape of ancient Egypt was like. We know some instruments that were used around the time, but not what kind of music they made.

Also worth remembering is that Jesper Kyd's work always included a strongly modern feel. Listen to "Access the Animus", the chase theme from AC1. It's hardly something you'd associate with medieval Syria. Or "Venice Escape" and "End Fight" from AC2.

VestigialLlama4
03-09-2016, 05:14 AM
To be fair, if the Egypt rumor is true, no-one really knows what the soundscape of ancient Egypt was like. We know some instruments that were used around the time, but not what kind of music they made.

Also worth remembering is that Jesper Kyd's work always included a strongly modern feel. Listen to "Access the Animus", the chase theme from AC1. It's hardly something you'd associate with medieval Syria. Or "Venice Escape" and "End Fight" from AC2.

For AC1, the idea was to approach the past in a post-modern style. Don't see the past as something static and oriental and mystical.

I think they should take the same approach for Ancient Egypt...most games and Hollywood movies use some weird oriental vaguely middle-eastern sounding music to depict the past.

LoyalACFan
03-11-2016, 03:31 AM
Call me crazy, but I thought Syndicate had the best ambient music since AC2. Sure, it was a complete departure from Kyd's glorious electro-fusion style, but the fact that it actually elicited some real feelings from me in a game that I was otherwise 0% emotionally invested in says a lot IMO.

That being said, I know virtually nothing about music, so my contribution begins and ends at "durr, I liked it." You wanna talk to me about game design theory or narrative technique, I'll go for hours... On music, not so much.

Farlander1991
03-11-2016, 04:54 PM
That being said, I know virtually nothing about music, so my contribution begins and ends at "durr, I liked it." You wanna talk to me about game design theory or narrative technique, I'll go for hours... On music, not so much.

You should probably learn something about music at some point :) It helps greatly when a game designer, as a person whose job would be to hold the light for all various talents and professions so everyone would follow one vision, has at least basic ideas of everything that might help to communicate with people of their professions, this includes music, visual art, UI, scripting, pretty much everything else that constitutes a game.

LoyalACFan
03-11-2016, 05:10 PM
You should probably learn something about music at some point :) It helps greatly when a game designer, as a person whose job would be to hold the light for all various talents and professions so everyone would follow one vision, has at least basic ideas of everything that might help to communicate with people of their professions, this includes music, visual art, UI, scripting, pretty much everything else that constitutes a game.

You're right, of course. I mean, my focus area is writing (double majoring in interactive media and creative writing) but I try to be pretty informed about the entire development process... I can model, I can code, I can rig/animate, and I can draw a little, but for some reason music theory just hasn't stuck for me. Not that I don't have massive respect for the talent, I just don't seem to have much of a head for it. I've never had any problem working with our musicians in the past, I just don't have a very sophisticated understanding of their creative process.

BTW though, my team is hoping to get our product on Steam here in about 8 months, so when that day comes you can be sure I'll shamelessly plug it here ;)

Farlander1991
03-11-2016, 05:21 PM
I've never had any problem working with our musicians in the past

Well, of course it wouldn't bring any problems (unless you try to tell them how to do something without knowing anything about it :p ), but it helps. :)

BTW though, my team is hoping to get our product on Steam here in about 8 months, so when that day comes you can be sure I'll shamelessly plug it here

Oh, nice :) Good luck!

LoyalACFan
03-11-2016, 06:47 PM
Oh, nice :) Good luck!

Thanks! :)

Jessigirl2013
03-11-2016, 08:11 PM
Revelations was much, much, MUCH worse about this. AC3 reused the main theme a lot throughout the soundtrack too, and let's not forget "Ezio's Family".
I forgive the sins of revelations because of Ezio nostalgia :rolleyes:
Not only that but it was an Ezio game.:cool:

Ezios family is heard in other entries here and there as a nod to the roots of the series such as in Unity, But not in every track!!!!!
Nearly every score in Syndicate is with that "Syndicate theme" tune and its seriously annoying after a while.

Bloodlines,
London Is Waiting,
Soothing Syrup,
Everyone Has A Price
Cathedral of Steel
The Assassin Two-Step
Take Your Bow, Knave
A Ballet of Blades
A Gauntlet Scherzo
Darling, What A Night
Hooded Allegro Vivace
For Those We Loved
Bloody Presto Con Brio
So Much For a House Call

BINGO! My point exactly.
Thanks for taking the time to do a list, I hadn't got round to it.:cool:

It just seems like such a wasted opportunity for interesting scores like the little gems in Unity. <---- Seriously that game has some gorgeous music.:cool:

Jessigirl2013
03-11-2016, 08:14 PM

Bloodlines,
London Is Waiting,
Soothing Syrup,
Everyone Has A Price
Cathedral of Steel
The Assassin Two-Step
Take Your Bow, Knave
A Ballet of Blades
A Gauntlet Scherzo
Darling, What A Night
Hooded Allegro Vivace
For Those We Loved
Bloody Presto Con Brio
So Much For a House Call

Fair point but a movie is a lot shorter than a game, Listening to the same tune for 50+ can drive a sane person nuts.:rolleyes: