PDA

View Full Version : Intuitive controls need serious work

BACTERIASOUR
03-01-2016, 07:44 PM
I'll start by saying that I'm not here to debate, argue, troll, whine, or cry, this is merely my opinion/feedback regarding the "Intuitive Control" system they have been using over the past few releases and I apologize for such a long post. While I know this comes late, I'm just getting to playing it and am about 52%. Let me add that I have played AC since the first release in 2007 and am very well aquatinted with the series. I will end this with what I love and why this game could have been a 10/10

The intuitive controls in this game are absolutely bad and have continued getting worse over the past few releases, amongst other issues I've found it is a complete downfall and impedes proper gameplay or a parkour style flow. While I find some of the new aspects available to be great there is work that needs to be done, serious work.

When using a zip line from ledge to ledge the character hangs up off kilter with the ledge or area being grabbed and causes the character to freeze momentarily. This seems small until you've done it thousands of times, then it becomes a complete nuisance when trying to flow in movement across the map. At times when climbing your character will become stuck as if there is nowhere to go but there are plenty of options to continue the climb. After a few seconds (sometimes longer) the character will finally move to the next grab point.

When chasing an NPC anywhere near obstacles your character will decide to climb a fence or a crate, a small stem wall or other random obstacles within your view essentially causing you to lose the NPC or fail the objective in the higher ranked events.

If an NPC boards a carriage/vehicle, when you board the vehicle and stop them you auto drive and the vehicle continues moving until you can jump out causing a stumble. In that time, the NPC has boarded another vehicle. I also tried using LB (xbox one) to climb out of the drivers seat and jump off the vehicle but it actually takes longer. When sneaking, trying to grab an edge/corner can be difficult leading to your head sticking out and the NPC seeing you prematurely and losing the assassination ability.

The list is long, I beg you guys. Please fix/change/remove this intuitive junk. It's just gotten worse. I'm only 52% complete and I've put it down because of the controls. This will be the first AC I haven't completed the story on.

What I loved: the story and lore was done right and the WWI segment was one of the best pieces of lore ever in this franchise, while referencing just about every other assassin from the series they explain the beginning, the middle, and the assumed end of this story. The perk/gang perk system was cool, crafting was cool and didn't feel grindy IMO. The weapons were nice, not overwhelming but semi diverse. I truly would have given this game a 10/10 but the controls.....oh man the controls. I really hope the next release is better control wise.

Jessigirl2013
03-01-2016, 08:17 PM
I agree about the hijacking carriages situation, Especially during bounty hunt missions.
On many occasions when they flee they jump on a carriage and race off, And the only way of getting them off the carriage without killing them is to hijack the carriage which throws the target off and causes the carriage to speed away. And by the time you reach them again they've already hijacked a new carriage and the whole mess starts again...:rolleyes:
With other enemies in the way and trying to ram you with a carriage it gets frustrating very quickly.:rolleyes:

They referenced every other assassin in the series? Ezio got mentioned once in Evies notebook, and H and E Kenway only got mentioned because of Kenway Manor.
Did they get included more?

BACTERIASOUR
03-01-2016, 08:36 PM
Agreed, the annoyance factor is off the charts, at least for myself.

Well through outfits they pretty much reference everyone. More so, through what I've played this far (both level 9 52% complete) they have referenced everyone through memorabilia, nostalgic items, and of course the WW1 sequences when Juno is telling the story.

She references Desmond by saying "I was released by the greatest assassin of modern times" and we know it's referencing him (Desmond) because he released her (Juno). Keep in mind Juno is speaking to the "initiate" and not to Freida so when she speaks of modern times she is most definitely speaking of Desmond and Desmond's era.

Civona
03-02-2016, 05:38 AM
"Intuitive" basically means "easy to understand and learn". "Make the intuitive controls better" basically means "Make the good controls better", and I don't think that's what you're intending to convey.

You could say "Make the controls more intuitive", however, though there's no need to, since it's not really a very descriptive word.

A lot of the little hitches and things you talk about are the main reasons for why I'm happy about the longer break between games. That means more time to adjust and improve transitions between different systems, so the player has the minimum amount of time between thinking of a plan of action and being able to execute it. (within reason, some things should require players to commit to them, to give them weight or back up the fictional premise surrounding them.)

BACTERIASOUR
03-02-2016, 12:20 PM
Intuitive actually means; having the ability to understand or know something without any direct evidence or reasoning process. This means while you play, the game is attempting to anticipate where you want to go.

The AC series (since 3 I believe) has continually used this term "intuitive" in regards to controls, it's not something I just made up. Even reviewers over the years have applauded and bashed the "intuitive" control system AC touts.

As for the remainder of your comment, I surely do hope the break is to completely reexamine the pro's & con's of the franchise. More so for my likes.....the controls, that's honestly my only gripe with this game. If the controls were better and less sluggish I wouldn't even have posted the thread.

Jessigirl2013
03-02-2016, 12:37 PM
Agreed, the annoyance factor is off the charts, at least for myself.

Well through outfits they pretty much reference everyone. More so, through what I've played this far (both level 9 52% complete) they have referenced everyone through memorabilia, nostalgic items, and of course the WW1 sequences when Juno is telling the story.

She references Desmond by saying "I was released by the greatest assassin of modern times" and we know it's referencing him (Desmond) because he released her (Juno). Keep in mind Juno is speaking to the "initiate" and not to Freida so when she speaks of modern times she is most definitely speaking of Desmond and Desmond's era.
Freida?
Do you mean Lydia?:confused:
Or is Frieda the new MD protagonist?:rolleyes:

Intuitive actually means; having the ability to understand or know something without any direct evidence or reasoning process. This means while you play, the game is attempting to anticipate where you want to go.

The AC series (since 3 I believe) has continually used this term "intuitive" in regards to controls, it's not something I just made up. Even reviewers over the years have applauded and bashed the "intuitive" control system AC touts.

As for the remainder of your comment, I surely do hope the break is to completely reexamine the pro's & con's of the franchise. More so for my likes.....the controls, that's honestly my only gripe with this game. If the controls were better and less sluggish I wouldn't even have posted the thread.

Its still a vague way of how to improve the controls, Any suggestions on how it can be improved instead?

BACTERIASOUR
03-02-2016, 01:30 PM
My phone must have auto corrected Lydia's name. But yes, I was referring to Lydia.

As for suggestions to developers, all I can do is list the issues as I find them. Honestly I haven't the slightest idea how to suggest a fix for these issues as I'm not a programmer and don't understand the processes taking place. I feel as a consumer I've done my part by listing the things I find most annoying or broken, it's up to development to figure out the balance with this control system.

There is a lot more wrong than what I chose to list, sluggish controls, NPC's walking backwards through the restricted areas, and more. Just trying to just jump down from a chimney hangs up, you've got to hit the controls several times in some instances.

BananaBlighter
03-02-2016, 06:20 PM
I just made a post on a thread about increasing parkour difficulty:

It's all down to the precision. In the older games, you had to point where you want to jump, and while the game would correct you ever so slightly at times, if you weren't pointing directly at what you wanted to jump to, you would fall to your doom. Now there is very little precision involved, as the game automatically magnets you to the nearest ledge. Not only does this decrease difficulty and the need for concentration, but you end up climbing things you did not intend to because the game sometimes doesn't correctly judge what you are trying to do.

In a way it's a trade-off. Because of the new system, we can have much smoother animations and fluid transitions. In the old system, everything was very manual. If you tapped B/'circle' while falling, you could correct your imprecision by grabbing. However, this led to jerky animations. With the new system, the game knows where you're going before you even jump, so it can select the most appropriate animation to retain fluidity.

I think that AC3/4/Ro had the best balance between precision and fluidity. What brought that parkour system down was the automation in terms of controls. To jump from ledge to ledge you only had to run, yet to jump to your death you had to press A/'cross', meaning you would never accidentally fall to your death. If the controls had been changed so that any jumping required you to press A/'cross', then it would force players to be more precise when jumping from ledge to ledge, because if they aren't, they could run the risk of falling off.

Similarly, I loved Unity's parkour system, but hate Syndicate's, simply because of the few changes that they made to the controls (despite the precision being slightly improved) so that they now more resembled those of AC3/4/Ro. Now to jump from ledge to ledge, you just run, and it can often result with jumping involuntarily, rather than making it more manual like AC Unity where you had to tap A/'cross'. On top of that, just for extra hand-holding, they've made it impossible to jump of from heights that the games deems unsafe, and to drop from ledges without holding B/'circle', which actually often ruins the flow, making parkour far less efficient. Additionally, vaulting is now automatic too, you just run at an obstacle to pass over it, meaning that, like with jumping, you may accidentally vault over something you weren't meaning to. I'm starting to think that the only use for the A/'cross' button in Syndicate is for parkour up, which isn't even used anymore because of the rope launcher.

So my dream parkour system would take the controls and the mechanics from Unity, and slap them on to AC3/4/Ro's parkour system, where the climbing wasn't too fast or too slow, was just about right in terms of precision, and felt very fluid unlike the previous games.

I think that the main issue with Syndicate is the controls. I keep accidentally jumping or vaulting things I didn't mean to because the controls are far too automatic, and only require you to run in the desired direction. In Unity at least you had to tap A/'cross' to jump or B/'circle' to vault, and so I didn't encounter issues like this.

The more recent games are also far too magnetic, and I think that while it could help some people that are imprecise with direction, it's also causing problems by taking us somewhere we didn't intend to go. This should really be reduced. It should be possible to jump off in to mid-air if you do not point directly at your target, enforcing concentration, and allowing us to make more manual and controlled decisions on where we ant to go.

BACTERIASOUR
03-02-2016, 08:44 PM
I think how you've laid things out are actually digging into the problem which escaped me. I just couldn't put my finger on what was wrong (the exact cause that is) other than listing the issues I've encountered and hoping for the best from future development.

I fully agree, with everything you've said. That includes the quote from your thread. In my op I'm essentially wanting the same things as you've listed but I think I am saying it in a different or incorrect way after reading your thread op. In the end I truly hope they can get it together, I don't want to play a mindless experience in regards to the character controls running on autopilot and making decisions for me. Precision and that narrow leeway you speak of are what is needed, absolutely.

Jessigirl2013
03-02-2016, 09:08 PM
Parkour is something I've found has actually got less clunky than that in past titles.

The only problem is that it doesn't always go the way you intended.:rolleyes: