PDA

View Full Version : About The Latest Update, May 21st

IV_JG51_Razor
05-22-2004, 11:55 AM
First, let me say that I am one of the "true believers" of Oleg et al as the Messiah of the flight sim world, and I'm not embarrassed at all to be called an IL-2 fanboy. Secondly, I'd like to say that all the screen shots of PF that I have seen so far have absolutely knocked my socks off. I can't wait. And thirdly, I realize that PF is still a work in progress, so these comments aren't a whine, just questions about what we're seeing so far.

1. It looks like the Corsairs are spotted for takeoff way too far aft. I don't have the stats of all the CV's committed to memory, but I think that the deck lengths for the Lex and an Essex class are not too far apart. I've seen many, many pictures of airgroups spotted for takeoff on an Essex class ship where the fighters were sitting just about abeam the island to begin their deck run. I only bring this up because I'm concerned that things such as wind over the deck or ship speed won't be sufficient for a deck run starting as far forward as the island.

2. In the shots of the arrested landing of the Corsair, two things stand out in my mind. First, there is no barrier wires showing, and second, it looks as if the pay out of the pendant is way too much. I know it's not unusual to see that much strung out along the angled deck of a nuc today, trapping a 30,000lb jet that has got his throttles up to max, but it sure looks like it's too much for a WWII era fighter. You'd have to catch the first or second wire in order to keep from hitting a plane spotted on the elevator abeam the island!

Again, I fully realize that these pictures are of a work in progress, and I am not whinning here. Just bringing up some points that might have been overlooked by the developer. Just trying to help, is all.

Lastly, I'd just like to publicly thank Luthier for taking on this project. Were it not for him, I doubt that we'd ever see carrier ops in one of Oleg's sims until sometime way in the future. So, THANKS !! Be sure I'll be voting with my wallet when the time comes. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/11.gif

Razor
IV/JG51 Intelligence Officer
www.jg51.net (http://www.jg51.net)

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from poor judgement"

IV_JG51_Razor
05-22-2004, 11:55 AM
First, let me say that I am one of the "true believers" of Oleg et al as the Messiah of the flight sim world, and I'm not embarrassed at all to be called an IL-2 fanboy. Secondly, I'd like to say that all the screen shots of PF that I have seen so far have absolutely knocked my socks off. I can't wait. And thirdly, I realize that PF is still a work in progress, so these comments aren't a whine, just questions about what we're seeing so far.

1. It looks like the Corsairs are spotted for takeoff way too far aft. I don't have the stats of all the CV's committed to memory, but I think that the deck lengths for the Lex and an Essex class are not too far apart. I've seen many, many pictures of airgroups spotted for takeoff on an Essex class ship where the fighters were sitting just about abeam the island to begin their deck run. I only bring this up because I'm concerned that things such as wind over the deck or ship speed won't be sufficient for a deck run starting as far forward as the island.

2. In the shots of the arrested landing of the Corsair, two things stand out in my mind. First, there is no barrier wires showing, and second, it looks as if the pay out of the pendant is way too much. I know it's not unusual to see that much strung out along the angled deck of a nuc today, trapping a 30,000lb jet that has got his throttles up to max, but it sure looks like it's too much for a WWII era fighter. You'd have to catch the first or second wire in order to keep from hitting a plane spotted on the elevator abeam the island!

Again, I fully realize that these pictures are of a work in progress, and I am not whinning here. Just bringing up some points that might have been overlooked by the developer. Just trying to help, is all.

Lastly, I'd just like to publicly thank Luthier for taking on this project. Were it not for him, I doubt that we'd ever see carrier ops in one of Oleg's sims until sometime way in the future. So, THANKS !! Be sure I'll be voting with my wallet when the time comes. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/11.gif

Razor
IV/JG51 Intelligence Officer
www.jg51.net (http://www.jg51.net)

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from poor judgement"

Latico
05-22-2004, 10:25 PM
I just did some checking myself, Razor. It appears you are right about the Lex Class and Essex Class being about the same length. Essex Class was about 40 ft wider.

I was surprised to see that the flight decks of the Yorktown Class was shorter by around 100 Ft.