PDA

View Full Version : Few Technical Questions about Online Play

Raiden48
07-23-2004, 09:29 AM
Hi,

I actually had 2 questions about online play:
1. When playing online i sometimes get a message like Ticklen (number) in the console, is this indicating lag or something else?
2. Since i have a relative weak PC, i turned off hardware acceleration in the FB setup, now in XP, to be precise in Control Panel/ Sounds and Audio Devices, i looked at the Advanced Audio Properties and then at the Performance tab. The Hardware Acceleration slider is set at Full and the Sample rate conversion quality is set at Best. Will lowering these two sliders increase my PCs performance when playing FB, i mean will it decrease freezes?

Thanks

Raiden48
07-23-2004, 09:29 AM
Hi,

I actually had 2 questions about online play:
1. When playing online i sometimes get a message like Ticklen (number) in the console, is this indicating lag or something else?
2. Since i have a relative weak PC, i turned off hardware acceleration in the FB setup, now in XP, to be precise in Control Panel/ Sounds and Audio Devices, i looked at the Advanced Audio Properties and then at the Performance tab. The Hardware Acceleration slider is set at Full and the Sample rate conversion quality is set at Best. Will lowering these two sliders increase my PCs performance when playing FB, i mean will it decrease freezes?

Thanks

Yellonet
07-23-2004, 02:31 PM
1. Not exactly sure what you mean.

2. If you have a "good" sound card you should have this set to full. Don't know how much of an impact it has on frame rate anyway. Minimal is my guess.

What kind of freezes do you mean? Does the game lock up so you have to shut it down? Or just that it stutters?

Also if you are low on RAM you should have a large pagefile. Perhaps you could post your specs?

- Yellonet

Raiden48
07-23-2004, 03:04 PM
1.When playing online i get some freezes of 1 to 4 seconds , after those freezes the game contineus, you could call it stutter . When hitting console i noticed that during these freezes the message Ticklen (number) appeared in the console, i wondered if this meant lag or something else.
2. I have 512 MB RAM and a 1Ghz pc, my pagefile is currently at 4095mb.

ZG77_Lignite
07-23-2004, 08:48 PM
I believe lowering the 'conversion quality' in windows may improve performance (possibly in such a minimal way as to be unnoticeable), and lowering 'sound acceleration' (from MS Windows) has for some people in the past improved the sound (but not in-game performance). Turning off Hardware Sound Acceleration (in Il2setup.exe) may decrease ingame performance (instead of using your soundcard for sound, your CPU must do the work, your results may vary).

The stutters can be improved by improving your games performance; for example turning down image quality, resolution, color depth, sound etc (all done in-game or with Il2Setup.exe). Also make sure no Anti-Aliasing or Anisotropic Filtering is allowed (usually done through your video card software). Ground detail is a biggie.

Flightvector
07-23-2004, 09:26 PM
Your page file is huge!! It is literally off the wall and will honestly do nil to help your performance, I would lower it to a reasonable level, like twice your RAM capacity.

As far as other issues, there are some things you'll need to understand about performance in IL2. Stutters are not extremely common in simple uncluttered conditions, and is not where lack of performance will really show up in IL2. Rather, frame rate (or the smoothness of the video is what you need to look for) is a better indication of performance. I have tested IL2 on my 1Ghz laptop and this is what you'll find. But what you describe as 4 second freezes only online is because you or the server may be lagging out, and no level of performance will fix this. What kind of online connection do you have? I recommend setting your online packet size to ISDN.

Sound acceleration also hardly affects performance in most cases, lowering sound acceleration usually is done if issues with sound distorting or other similar conflicts result. A very slow processor may have some improvement but it should still be minimal.

As far as ping times go, hold "S" while online to see your ping rate by your ID. If it is over 300, which is high, then you are likely to get lag.

But I really can't give you very specific tips unless I know your graphics card, resolution, and graphics settings in IL2. That way I can help without wasting time to point out things you've already done or had.

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze22ggz/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/fvsig2.jpg

Raiden48
07-24-2004, 03:58 AM
Thanks for the replys, but one thing i dont quite understand, will enabling hardware acceleration (or as refered as Enable Extensions in FB setup) put a lesser strain on the PC, cause i always thougt that enabling it would strain the PC even more.

remaxx
07-25-2004, 12:55 AM
As I understand it.

Hardware acceleration (extentions) refers to the soundcard hardware.
So switching off hardware acceleration reduces the load on the soundcard and uses the CPU instead.
So either way it is a compromise.

If you have an onboard sound chip, it will most likely be a basic one. So you CPU could perhaps do a better job.