PDA

View Full Version : AC Syndicate - Feedback

Razrback16
02-28-2016, 09:10 PM
PROS:

* Graphic Engine rendering smoothness

* Ubisoft re-installed a viable way to counter firearms in the combat system (I still miss the human shields - they made the most sense by far)

* The overall world / environment was spectacular as all AC games have been

* While missing a solid present day story (the series has been since they killed Desmond off), the Rebecca / Shawn videos were pretty cool and a step up from the past few games in terms of the present day story

* I liked that they added some items into the present day story that explained in detail the acquisition of items like poison darts, etc. This reminded me of AC2 with how Ezio gradually upgrades to a single hidden blade, then double hidden blades, and so on and so forth.

* The upgrade tree was pretty cool - many options to upgrade your assassin as you saw fit in terms of skills.

* (Spoiler) - The mission where you had to explore Edward Kenway's house was frickin' awesome. Those are the kinds of missions I really enjoy that tie all the games together along with all the main characters' lives that you've played across several games.

* I also enjoyed missions that tied in with some of the historic monuments and structures in the city - a reminder of tomb-like missions from Ezio's days. Again these are some of the neat things with the AC series are seeing some of the historic monuments and locations that give the story and world life and realism.

* They did a nice job making many of the viewpoints unique rather than cookie-cutter repeats like some of the earlier AC games where many of the buildings and viewpoints looked identical (identical towers, etc.)

* Reintroducing the multi-kill ability in the combat system. I thoroughly hated Unity's combat system, so this was a welcome addition.

* In the assassination primary missions, the unique kill ability is something I really like. I like when these are difficult to achieve, too, as they make the payoff worthwhile and memorable.

* I was very skeptical of the grapple as it seemed like they were ripping off Batman, but they did a nice job incorporating it into the arsenal and not making it seem absurd.

* Evie's Notebook was a nice addition - it's these meaningful things that are identifiable with a single character that makes them memorable as the series' story progresses.

* I particularly enjoyed the Thorne assassination - the developers did a very nice job with this one.

CONS:

* Combat system - while a significant upgrade from Unity (Unity had the worst combat system I've ever seen in any game I've ever played), the combat was still very clunky and anything but fluid. Couldn't fight with the hidden blade, couldn't disarm, etc. Just so many limitations and a stiff, clunky fighting system overall.

* A missed opportunity for this game and several of the previous games since AC3 is the lack of an opening summation video that gave the player a full run through of all the Assassins who have been played as, what their stories told the team (Shawn, Rebecca, Desmond, Desmond's dad) overall, and what the clearcut current objective is.

* A piggyback off the previous point is that there aren't enough tie-ins to previous games / stories. One of the key aspects of the AC story that people love so much is the overall story arc and how much of it ties together.

* Developers were a bit lazy with regard to taking a lot of the running / movement / killing animations straight from Unity rather than coming up with unique animations for Jacob. Arno's were pretty terrible and robotic anyway, so it was disappointing to see them re-used on Jacob.

* The engine overall (this goes for Unity as well since it used the same engine) in terms of movement. I already mentioned the combat was very clunky, but the climbing and running is just as bad - very delayed, stiff, and clunky is the best way to describe it. You go back to games like AC1-AC4 and they all had very smooth climbing / movement systems. In Unity and Syndicate you push the analog stick one way and it seems to take the engine time to process the movement and execute it as opposed to seeing fluid, quick response time from the engine.

* The roaming music was very lackluster.

* Can't walk with your hood up unless you crouch - this is a big one for me and a lot of people as I've seen on Steam and Ubisoft forums - the fact that you can't just put your hood up is ludicrous.

* There weren't any missions like the Ezio Tomb Missions or Connor's Captain Kidd missions. Those are sorely missed, love those mysterious missions.

* The equipment / gear doesn't unlock very fluidly. Rather than making you wait until a certain sequence to unlock certain gear, just make it monetary based. I really didn't like having to wait for certain sequences to unlock certain things if I'd gone around building up my assassin, collecting chests and money and then couldn't use it to upgrade my weapons, etc.

OTHER:

* Late PC release. I always hate to see the PC version released later when it has superior graphics, and ability than consoles. Ubisoft really needs to focus on the PC version more and less on inferior consoles that just hold back the gaming industry.

* SLI was non functional at release. That should not happen. Ubisoft needs to do a better job of working with NVidia & AMD to ensure SLI is functional at release. PC Gamers are big into having superior graphics and playing with the latest technology like UHD resolutions, and Gameworks Image Quality advancements - when 2nd and 3rd GPUs can't be utilized, it makes it impossible to take advantage of those things, and those things are some of what bigtime gamers look forward to with new games.

* The combat system was better than Unity, but still not all that great. AC3, for all the negative feedback it received, had an absolutely awesome combat system, and I really really miss it. It was so fluid, and you had so many options of what you could do, so many neat animations that could be created from different weapons being used, to multiple kill animations, etc. I'm glad Ubisoft is going to take a year off of AC and re-examine things and hopefully get things back on track. I love this series, and hope it gets back to a deep, mysterious story, that keeps people engaged, relates all the characters and storylines we've seen to keep them all meaningful. Hopefully Ubisoft will introduce a new present day hero that will tie in properly to the existing story as I really miss the Desmond stuff that fully anchored the series.
-------------------

Other board members, please feel free to post your feedback here as well. I've spoken with several moderators and Ubisoft welcomes feedback on the game, good and bad. Thanks!

Jessigirl2013
02-29-2016, 05:33 PM
The reason the PC version is delayed is because it has superior graphics.:rolleyes:

With number of shoddy PC releases these days, Critique on this is a bit unjustified.:cool:

Really good points though, I'm with you on the ambient music It rarely ever played and only when I was constantly on the rooftops.

TaylorBlakeH
03-01-2016, 03:30 PM
The reason the PC version is delayed is because it has superior graphics.:rolleyes:

With number of shoddy PC releases these days, Critique on this is a bit unjustified.:cool:

Really good points though, I'm with you on the ambient music It rarely ever played and only when I was constantly on the rooftops.

The ambient score in this game was FANTASTIC, and henceforth FAR too underutilized. I didn't like having to be at a certain altitude before it would play. Austin Wintory's folk and hymn inspired chamber and choral arrangements were the best music I've ever heard in both an Assassin's Creed game AND and any other video game, coming in second place right behind Jesper Kyd's score for AC2.

I don't disagree with a lot of his critique. The combat system is DEFINTELY something that needs to be figured out, perfected and then just decided upon so they don't keep changing it every game. Adding new mechanics is fine, like adding the hook blade to normal AC combat in Revelations, but completely changing it every game is driving me nuts!

As far as my combat preferences go though, I think I'm probably more contrary to the masses in terms of what I like best. I understand some of the frustrations with Unity's combat, but there was something about it that I just loved.... That stiff, heavy feeling made me feel like I was actually wielding a sword and I felt directly responsible for preventing damage to my character! I like a challenge in combat. Multi/combo kill executions and counter kills like AC:3 and AC:4 are just NOT my thing. The first few times I played I probably got a little kick out of feeling like God when I wiped out half of a British squadron with a hidden blade but very soon I grew tired of the ease of combat. Aside from wanting to always go stealth, there was little consequence to screwing up. I wasn't going to risk dying if I got detected. i just had to counter and direct instant kills in a circle toward my enemies.

Honestly, if I had to choose, AC:2 has the best combat to me. And the stats on the weapons actually have relevance and meaning. You can't counter kill an enemy on the first strike; only when they've been significantly weakened. Dodging and parrying are NOT the same thing and should NOT be mapped to the same key. A brute with a giant axe requires an entirely different method of evasion than a foot soldier with a rapier! There were SO many mechanics to fighting in that game and it still to some degree proved to remain a challenge to escape a fight without damage even at the end of the game.

In terms of the PC having superior graphics, I really don't ever see that Jessi :( ..... The main differences I see in PC ports graphics are the facts that textures can be scaled to higher resolutions if you change your resolution, there are no pre-applied/forced post processing anti-aliasing effects to blur the image right off the bat so the game looks sharper, and then developers work with NVIDIA sometimes to add "GameWorks" effects that basically only adds three things: Soft shadows, TXAA as a method of anti-aliasing, and then the most beneficial effect, HBAO+. HBAO+ makes a HUGE difference in realism and it's definitely one feature that PC versions of games can have over console versions but beyond that, there isn't often too much difference :/

Jessigirl2013
03-01-2016, 03:48 PM
The ambient score in this game was FANTASTIC, and henceforth FAR too underutilized. I didn't like having to be at a certain altitude before it would play. Austin Wintory's folk and hymn inspired chamber and choral arrangements were the best music I've ever heard in both an Assassin's Creed game AND and any other video game, coming in second place right behind Jesper Kyd's score for AC2.

I don't disagree with a lot of his critique. The combat system is DEFINTELY something that needs to be figured out, perfected and then just decided upon so they don't keep changing it every game. Adding new mechanics is fine, like adding the hook blade to normal AC combat in Revelations, but completely changing it every game is driving me nuts!

As far as my combat preferences go though, I think I'm probably more contrary to the masses in terms of what I like best. I understand some of the frustrations with Unity's combat, but there was something about it that I just loved.... That stiff, heavy feeling made me feel like I was actually wielding a sword and I felt directly responsible for preventing damage to my character! I like a challenge in combat. Multi/combo kill executions and counter kills like AC:3 and AC:4 are just NOT my thing. The first few times I played I probably got a little kick out of feeling like God when I wiped out half of a British squadron with a hidden blade but very soon I grew tired of the ease of combat. Aside from wanting to always go stealth, there was little consequence to screwing up. I wasn't going to risk dying if I got detected. i just had to counter and direct instant kills in a circle toward my enemies.

Honestly, if I had to choose, AC:2 has the best combat to me. And the stats on the weapons actually have relevance and meaning. You can't counter kill an enemy on the first strike; only when they've been significantly weakened. Dodging and parrying are NOT the same thing and should NOT be mapped to the same key. A brute with a giant axe requires an entirely different method of evasion than a foot soldier with a rapier! There were SO many mechanics to fighting in that game and it still to some degree proved to remain a challenge to escape a fight without damage even at the end of the game.

In terms of the PC having superior graphics, I really don't ever see that Jessi :( ..... The main differences I see in PC ports graphics are the facts that textures can be scaled to higher resolutions if you change your resolution, there are no pre-applied/forced post processing anti-aliasing effects to blur the image right off the bat so the game looks sharper, and then developers work with NVIDIA sometimes to add "GameWorks" effects that basically only adds three things: Soft shadows, TXAA as a method of anti-aliasing, and then the most beneficial effect, HBAO+. HBAO+ makes a HUGE difference in realism and it's definitely one feature that PC versions of games can have over console versions but beyond that, there isn't often too much difference :/

As a PC gamer I can defiantly tell the difference between PC and console graphics.
Sure its not always noticeable but I tried Rogue on a mates console and I could definitely see a difference.:rolleyes:

#PCMASTERRACE:rolleyes:

Razrback16
03-02-2016, 12:00 AM

Nah, there should be no delay - Ubisoft should be focusing on the superior PC version first and releasing it first with a later port down to lower level console hardware. That is where I was going with that. :)

Razrback16
03-02-2016, 12:04 AM
Also thanks to both of you for replying, nice to hear your feedback.

Agree with Jessi on the graphics - It's night and day for me looking at console vs. PC. I agree with thair in that the resolution is a huge part of it, but the framerate limitations and quality of rendering is huge to me as well.

Also to comment on thair's combat mentioning, what I would love to see is a combat system as open and free as AC3's, with its precision and smoothness, but also making it more complicated as well in terms of how to deal with enemies as I am fine with making it more difficult; what I don't want to see is where the only way they go about making it difficult is to give everyone a firearm and then not give you much of a counter method for that. Like thair mentioned with different classes of enemies, make a bunch of different classes, and make the player have to handle each one in a unique manner. That will make mastering the combat a lot more fun and rewarding. I'd also like to see "medicine" eliminated and also not have the health bar re-charge as quickly. That makes it tougher as well - make it so you don't have an easy out during combat, you need to get your moves right, or you die within 3-4 hits. :)

TaylorBlakeH
03-02-2016, 12:51 AM
Nah, there should be no delay - Ubisoft should be focusing on the superior PC version first and releasing it first with a later port down to lower level console hardware. That is where I was going with that. :)

As a PC gamer. I totally agree with you and wish that my platform were catered too in a superior, priority manner. But since Ubisoft is a business and are competing for money rather than the affection of a sub group of gamers, then they will always cater to consoles FIRST, unless for some reason they cease to become the vast majority of gamers and therefore, Ubisoft's revenue.

Not disagreeing with you though; Just being realistic.

Razrback16
03-02-2016, 04:08 PM
As a PC gamer. I totally agree with you and wish that my platform were catered too in a superior, priority manner. But since Ubisoft is a business and are competing for money rather than the affection of a sub group of gamers, then they will always cater to consoles FIRST, unless for some reason they cease to become the vast majority of gamers and therefore, Ubisoft's revenue.

Yep no worries, I generally just vote with my wallet and buy the games when they're half off as compensation to myself for the late release. :)

Jessigirl2013
03-02-2016, 08:58 PM

Just what I was about to say.:rolleyes:
PC is the platform where their sales are usually the lowest of all platforms, so they focus on prioritising console releases first.
I really don't mind about PC being delayed though. I'd be more annoyed if they released with consoles and it being a buggy mess.:rolleyes:

Yep no worries, I generally just vote with my wallet and buy the games when they're half off as compensation to myself for the late release. :)
Haha I think every PC gamer does that.:cool: