PDA

View Full Version : [HELP] AC Syndicate with better performance

CQMET_PenperOni
02-27-2016, 05:01 PM
AHOY!
I was testing Syndicate these days and I was wondering if I can get a better performance.
So if anyone knows about this stuff, please let me know :)
i got something like 50~55 fps with Very High presset (1080p), around 30 with Ultra High presset (1080p) and 18~22fps with Very High in 4k.
I have a GTX 970 Strix, i7 4790, 16gb RAM.
Any tweaks to get a better performance?
Besides overclocking the 970, ofc
Thanks alot and sorry if there's another tread with this info, i couldn't find it.

EDIT: I'm using the 359.00 driver, because of the game ready for AC Syndicate.

Jessigirl2013
02-27-2016, 07:55 PM
I have the exact same rig as you.:rolleyes:

I heard with Black Flag that you can force triple buffering for a better FPS, Don't know if this is the case with Syndicate though.:rolleyes:

I'm not exactly a FPS buff but perhaps that will get you better performance.

There's always changing the Anti-aliasing, I cant remember which is best as its always confusing <------- Anyone else know?

CQMET_PenperOni
02-27-2016, 08:37 PM
Thanks, Jessi ! :D

YazX_
02-27-2016, 11:05 PM
The rule of thumb is to stay away from PCSS, PCSS slashes more than 10 FPS and PCSS Ultra slashes around 20-25 FPS, its very demanding option. now for TXAA, its a performance hog and depends on the title and textures used, as an example in AC:BF, i could set it to 4xTXAA and performance hit is minimal, while in Watch Dogs, performance hit is like 50%, in Syndicate performance hit is around 15%-20%.

other options can be maxed out.

CQMET_PenperOni
02-28-2016, 12:49 AM
awesome! I'll try that.
Thanks YazX and Jessi! :)

TaylorBlakeH
02-28-2016, 08:28 AM
I have the exact same rig as you.:rolleyes:

I heard with Black Flag that you can force triple buffering for a better FPS, Don't know if this is the case with Syndicate though.:rolleyes:

I'm not exactly a FPS buff but perhaps that will get you better performance.

There's always changing the Anti-aliasing, I cant remember which is best as its always confusing <------- Anyone else know?

Triple buffering allows your frame rate to go unchanged when V-Sync is enabled if it drops below the refresh rate of your monitor. Unfortunately it does not increase overall frame rate :(

Most games use triple buffering in their V-Sync implementations by default now though anyways. I can confirm this game does.

Jessigirl2013
02-28-2016, 12:05 PM
Thanks, Jessi ! :D
No problem :cool:

The rule of thumb is to stay away from PCSS, PCSS slashes more than 10 FPS and PCSS Ultra slashes around 20-25 FPS, its very demanding option. now for TXAA, its a performance hog and depends on the title and textures used, as an example in AC:BF, i could set it to 4xTXAA and performance hit is minimal, while in Watch Dogs, performance hit is like 50%, in Syndicate performance hit is around 15%-20%.

other options can be maxed out.
Yeah the AA hit has got bigger with newer games.
Thanks for explaining that YazX, I find it impossible to remember what AA is best, why so many options?:rolleyes:

Triple buffering allows your frame rate to go unchanged when V-Sync is enabled if it drops below the refresh rate of your monitor. Unfortunately it does not increase overall frame rate :(

Most games use triple buffering in their V-Sync implementations by default now though anyways. I can confirm this game does.

Any idea if BF has triple buffering as default now?, I hear a lot of people with 970s where having issues with it stuttering if they didn't force enable it.

YazX_
02-29-2016, 02:24 PM
awesome! I'll try that.
Thanks YazX and Jessi! :)

Thanks for explaining that YazX, I find it impossible to remember what AA is best, why so many options?:rolleyes:

You are both very welcome, however regarding AA options, each method works differently and gives different results, best feasible option is MSAA but its very demanding one, though other options exist since not everyone has a high end hardware, even MSAA can bring high end hardware to its knees, however, the higher resolution is, the less jaggies you get, thus less AA samples you need, so people playing on 2k and 4k needs alot less AA samples than others wiith lower resolutions. for me personally i find SMAA is the best option as it balances performance and quality, unfortunately its not implemented in AC Syndicate.

TaylorBlakeH
02-29-2016, 03:08 PM

Yeah the AA hit has got bigger with newer games.

Any idea if BF has triple buffering as default now?, I hear a lot of people with 970s where having issues with it stuttering if they didn't force enable it.

As far as all of the options go for anti-aliasing, it can be confusing, but it's such a complicated and diverse subject so there really is a need for so many different types. This is another merit to PC gaming. On consoles, you're ONLY going to get high-blur cheap post-processing anti-aliasing that still leaves many jagged edges.

If you wan the best current, "gold standard" method of anti-aliasing that removes jagged edges effectively and doesn't blur your image, you want MSAA (or running the game at 1440p or higher). MSAA is essentially scaling up the resolution of the image just like DSR would if you were playing at 4K and downscaling back to 1080p, but it ONLY does so on the edges of objects intelligently. SO it's not as much of a performance hit as running the game natively in a higher resolution. But in terms of AA options, MSAA is still the most performance heavy so it's usually not an option in high quality games like this one unless you have a top of the line card or a moderate/high end card like a 970 in SLI (with a working profile in game!!).

For everyone else that doesn't have a high-end system, post-processing is the way to go. Post-processed effects include FXAA, SMAA, and other sharpening or blur filters you might find in tools like ReShade/SweetFX. Post-processing AA filters each frame AFTER the system renders it and just applies techniques and filters to an already completed frame/image. Usually these methods either apply a global blur filter like FXAA or they intelligently detect aliasing through rapid changes of colors at the subpixel level like SMAA, hence "Subpixel Morphological Anti-Aliasing", and then they perform various algorithms to tactfully blend the colors of pixels together to effectively remove the appearance of a jagged edge without blurring the whole image. Post processing methods have a FAR smaller performance impact compared to deferred rendering methods like MSAA which samples the corners of objects up in real-time while the image is being rendered rather than after. SMAA TRULY is a vastly superior anti-aliasing method, as its performance cost is most often NEGLIGIBLE like FXAA when properly implemented, yet it ELIMINATES aliasing as well as MSAA 2x or 4x when, again, it is PROPERLY implemented. The only thing is that the game devs have to tweak SMAA for their game engine so it can properly detect objects and layers and depth to accurately and effectively "de-alias" the image. It's honestly the AA of the future once devs start spending more time implementing it. Fortunately, in almost any DirectX title, you can use ReShade to inject and customize SMAA, but it goes back to what I said about it needing to be tailored to the game engine for it to really shine. Still, in most cases it is often superior to FXAA still. I recommend giving it a try. If you have any questions about it let me know and I'll help you out.

I'm actually playing Rogue right now on my SLI 970's and this game has HORRIFIC aliasing. The only option they included for AA was FXAA, which blurs the image and does nothing for crawling shimmering edges in this title. I'm running the game at 4K perfectly using DSR, and yet a tiny bit of aliasing still remained when in motion. I injected SMAA using ReShade on top of the 4K image and it worked PERFECTLY to remove the remaining aliasing. So you'll find in some titles it works better than others when injected generically in this way.

It doesn't quite work nearly as well in Syndicate. Syndicate has a LOT of shimmering, but much of the time it's all of the reflective gold-plating and detail on the street lamps and carriages that is more of a light anomaly than aliasing itself so most AA methods don't work on that effect because it isn't actual aliasing. It took me a while to get used to that and realize what was going on, but that's why the AA seems to work so poorly at first in Syndicate. It really is working normally. All of the detail is just creating shimmering effects.

Oh, and that reminds me, one last common AA method you might want to understand, TXAA. This essentially stands for "Temporal Anti-Aliasing" and it is a combination of MSAA and what's known as a "temporal blur filter", temporal meaning "in or throughout time". TXAA uses an algorithm to detect edges and aliasing that you see when your camera or game is in motion by averaging the positions of the edges of an object using information from two or more frames and calculating how the final image should look. When you move your camera across the game world and see shimmering and crawling and just unnatural movement around the edges of objects, this is known as "temporal aliasing" and it's just the sort of thing that TXAA addresses. It works REALLY well in this game in regards to the "light anomalies" on the reflective gold plating on everything but it does blur the image. So it depends on what bothers you more: A blurry image with no jagged crawling edges, or a sharp, crisp image but with jagged jumping crawling pixels all over the place. I personally am very sensitive to aliasing so I opt for TXAA much of the time when it's available and my performance can take it. But lately I've been using MSAA 4x since they fixed the SLI.

As far as triple buffering in Black Flag is concerned, I do recall Black Flag's in game V-Sync only using double buffering, meaning that when your frame rate drops below 60, your frame rate immediately hits 30 until it can maintain 60 again. You can however force triple buffering from the NVIDIA control panel but you need to disable in game V-Sync, FIRST, enable V-Sync in the NVCP, then enable triple buffering and launch the game. The triple buffering in the NVIDIA Control Panel only applies to the NVIDIA V-Sync option when it is turned on. This setting does not work unless you are using NVIDIA's V-Sync and not the in-game v-sync

Hope some of this helps and doesn't put you to sleep.