PDA

View Full Version : Where is my Slot 1 2 3 saves, I want to play again!

HeyHerbert
02-26-2016, 06:30 AM
I have asked this question a couple of times but have not seen any thing happen, I would love to play your games again but for some reasons the option is there, its has been all of the assassin's creeds scenes rogue but unity and syndicate does not have it anymore, if you could do anything about this would be great. I sent this to them but they said put it here to see if something will happen maybe, if any one can help get this done, I will be great full.

pacmanate
02-26-2016, 01:21 PM
I think the reason is because of all this transmedia crap.

Because the game connects to Uplay and a bunch of other stuff, I'm pretty sure multiple save slots will just confuse the unlock system.

adster01
02-26-2016, 05:04 PM
I think the reason is because of all this transmedia crap.

Because the game connects to Uplay and a bunch of other stuff, I'm pretty sure multiple save slots will just confuse the unlock system.

dont give me that BS its pure laziness and or stupidity on ubisofts part there's no reason why they cannot have 3 or so save slots i have complained about this myself several times so i share your pain

Farlander1991
02-26-2016, 05:16 PM
dont give me that BS its pure laziness and or stupidity on ubisofts part there's no reason why they cannot have 3 or so save slots

You have no idea how game development works or why certain decisions are made or not made.

Jessigirl2013
02-26-2016, 08:16 PM
You have no idea how game development works or why certain decisions are made or not made.

Yeah, Its not necessarily easy to implement.

But its possible and it should be in the next game.:rolleyes:

Farlander1991
02-26-2016, 08:50 PM
Yeah, Its not necessarily easy to implement.

But its possible and it should be in the next game.:rolleyes:

Well, if you look from the perspective 'it's possible' then anything's possible, but it's also a matter of priorities, capacity, resources, state of other things and many more factors. For example, AC2 doesn't have replay for main story missions, only side missions. Would it be possible to make replays for main as well? Yep. But because of numerous reasons they decided not to implement it. And this happens all the time every time regardless of the time and scope and team size of the project, there's always choices that have to be made.

adster01
02-26-2016, 09:10 PM

are you a game developer?

Farlander1991
02-26-2016, 09:18 PM
are you a game developer?

Yes.

adster01
02-26-2016, 09:22 PM
Yes.

what company do you work for?

Farlander1991
02-26-2016, 10:17 PM

Links to my LinkedIn profile and portfolio are in my signature for questions like that, and otherwise I don't talk about my jobs on public forums.

Jessigirl2013
02-26-2016, 11:34 PM
Well, if you look from the perspective 'it's possible' then anything's possible, but it's also a matter of priorities, capacity, resources, state of other things and many more factors. For example, AC2 doesn't have replay for main story missions, only side missions. Would it be possible to make replays for main as well? Yep. But because of numerous reasons they decided not to implement it. And this happens all the time every time regardless of the time and scope and team size of the project, there's always choices that have to be made.

I don't call myself a game dev but I do know the basic fundamentals.:rolleyes:.
Surely if it is greatly wanted by fans then the resources would be well spent.:cool:

*s******s:o (sneers) <---- silly censoring

Farlander1991
02-27-2016, 12:39 AM
Surely if it is greatly wanted by fans then the resources would be well spent.

And what if it isn't? Ubi surely knows how much multiple save slots were used amongst the player populace, what if it wasn't enough to put that feature somewhere higher in the list for Unity and Syndicate? That resources spent vs. value provided wasn't enough? For one reason or another a lot of administrative features were absent from different games (I think Brotherhood and Revelations are the only games where you have multiple save slots and can replay every mission - main and side), the factor 'why' is a complex one, and only those who worked on the game directly would know the full reason why.

Anyway, ultimately, what I'm saying is, it's fair to complain about the features absence - it is a useful feature and was a standard in the AC series since the AC1 PC port (IIRC the console version didn't have different profiles). So the fact that people are unhappy that it's not there should be vocalized (and pure stats alone shouldn't be taken into account when developing a game, that said I don't know what stats for multiple profile uses would be). But people shouldn't go as far as to insult developers, or accuse them of something without at least a valid reason.

Jessigirl2013
02-27-2016, 12:56 PM
And what if it isn't? Ubi surely knows how much multiple save slots were used amongst the player populace, what if it wasn't enough to put that feature somewhere higher in the list for Unity and Syndicate? That resources spent vs. value provided wasn't enough? For one reason or another a lot of administrative features were absent from different games (I think Brotherhood and Revelations are the only games where you have multiple save slots and can replay every mission - main and side), the factor 'why' is a complex one, and only those who worked on the game directly would know the full reason why.

Anyway, ultimately, what I'm saying is, it's fair to complain about the features absence - it is a useful feature and was a standard in the AC series since the AC1 PC port (IIRC the console version didn't have different profiles). So the fact that people are unhappy that it's not there should be vocalized (and pure stats alone shouldn't be taken into account when developing a game, that said I don't know what stats for multiple profile uses would be). But people shouldn't go as far as to insult developers, or accuse them of something without at least a valid reason.

No ones is insulting them unfairly... They made a decision that people thought was wrong and they are allowed to voice their opinions on the matter.

ladosefan
02-27-2016, 01:37 PM
Does anyone know what happens to club competition items if i delete my ac unity save?Will they be unlocked so i can buy them with money?

BananaBlighter
02-27-2016, 05:07 PM
To be honest, if the game has replayable missions, then I never actually make a new save. I don't really mind Unity, because the only side-content that was worthwhile were the murder-mysteries and maybe the nostradamus enigmas, which obviously aren't replayable. However for Syndicate, even though every mission can be replayed, I am desperate for a new save. I hated Syndicate's progression so much, and most of the skills ruined the gameplay for me - I only got them for the sake of completion. So I'd like to play through the game again but limit myself to create a more challenging experience. I also want to keep my current save that has all the gear, which I wouldn't be able to access if I were to replay without completing the skill tree, since the skills determine the level, and the level determines the gear you can equip. Of course, if it weren't for Syndicate's super-flawed progression system, then I wouldn't be facing any problems here.

Does anyone know what happens to club competition items if i delete my ac unity save?Will they be unlocked so i can buy them with money?

Yep you can buy them. I think it was that 2 weeks after each club competition, the gear unlocked for everyone to buy.

HDinHB
02-27-2016, 07:30 PM
No ones is insulting them unfairly... They made a decision that people thought was wrong and they are allowed to voice their opinions on the matter.

Calling them stupid or lazy is insulting, and since those aren't likely the reason, unfair. I don't think the OP and most others have been insulting and have a legitimate right to complain.

It would be smart if Ubi explained why the save slots disappeared. I thought they initially blamed it on co-op play, but I can't find that anymore. It seemed to disappear from all Ubi games around the same time, so I'm sure there's a reason. Of course if their explanation is as good as their first attempt at explaining the lack of a playable female in Unity, they're better off keeping their mouths shut.

Jessigirl2013
02-27-2016, 07:47 PM
Calling them stupid or lazy is insulting, and since those aren't likely the reason, unfair. I don't think the OP and most others have been insulting and have a legitimate right to complain.

It would be smart if Ubi explained why the save slots disappeared. I thought they initially blamed it on co-op play, but I can't find that anymore. It seemed to disappear from all Ubi games around the same time, so I'm sure there's a reason. Of course if their explanation is as good as their first attempt at explaining the lack of a playable female in Unity, they're better off keeping their mouths shut.

What I'm saying that people have a genuine reason to insult them.:rolleyes:
It does sound like they are being lazy if they don't think that something that many fans want is not "justifiable".

Farlander1991
02-27-2016, 08:01 PM
What I'm saying that people have a genuine reason to insult them.:rolleyes:
It does sound like they are being lazy if they don't think that something that many fans want is not "justifiable".

Ok, answer the following questions.
1) How many of the approx. 10-20 million fans want the feature?
2) How many of the player base uses the feature? How many save files have 2 slots used? How many save files have 3 slots used?
3) What are the technical difficulties with implementing the feature? What are the risks with implementing the feature given the difficulties?
4) How long it will take for a programmer to implement it?
5) How long it will take the QA to test it properly?
6) What feature(s) should not be implemented because there will be time and resources allocated to this one?
7) Are those features really less important than the save slot feature?
8) Are there generally speaking more important features that time should be spent on?

If you or anybody who calls Ubi lazy/sounding lazy (or any other developer for that matter, if we speak in general) can answer all those questions (though there's more) and tell us exactly why there was no reason not to implement the save slot feature, then and only then there might be a genuine reason to call the developers lazy.

If you can't, well then, feel free to complain, because it's feedback and it's fair and it should be heard, but don't go around talking about developers being lazy.

EDIT: Also, I want to apologize for sounding aggressive, but I have pet peeves with this issue (which was discussed numerous times here on the forums) due to some people's attitude towards the devs on the matter

Jessigirl2013
02-27-2016, 11:24 PM
Ok, answer the following questions.
1) How many of the approx. 10-20 million fans want the feature?
2) How many of the player base uses the feature? How many save files have 2 slots used? How many save files have 3 slots used?
3) What are the technical difficulties with implementing the feature? What are the risks with implementing the feature given the difficulties?
4) How long it will take for a programmer to implement it?
5) How long it will take the QA to test it properly?
6) What feature(s) should not be implemented because there will be time and resources allocated to this one?
7) Are those features really less important than the save slot feature?
8) Are there generally speaking more important features that time should be spent on?

If you or anybody who calls Ubi lazy/sounding lazy (or any other developer for that matter, if we speak in general) can answer all those questions (though there's more) and tell us exactly why there was no reason not to implement the save slot feature, then and only then there might be a genuine reason to call the developers lazy.

If you can't, well then, feel free to complain, because it's feedback and it's fair and it should be heard, but don't go around talking about developers being lazy.

EDIT: Also, I want to apologize for sounding aggressive, but I have pet peeves with this issue (which was discussed numerous times here on the forums) due to some people's attitude towards the devs on the matter

I understand it seems it irritates you, I also find it bizarre how some people thing its as easy as flicking a switch.
Like I said I am by no means a game dev however I do understand the fundamentals of game design so I understand it could be a difficult problem to work around.

But if they really do "listen to the player" then they should realize that this needs to be reimplemented in the next entry.
Or at least acknowledge that fans have asked for it and explain whether if will be sorted or they can explain the reason as to why it is not included.:rolleyes:

But people are allowed to voice their opinions on this and you cant just shut them down for having an opinion.:cool:

HeyHerbert
02-29-2016, 06:46 AM
thanks maybe they can do something maybe they cant nothing wrong with trying

HeyHerbert
02-29-2016, 06:47 AM
yeah its there game if they what to do it they can

hey thanks for try to help make this happen, if they can

Jessigirl2013
02-29-2016, 05:48 PM
hey thanks for try to help make this happen, if they can

There an edit post button for a reason.:rolleyes:

pacmanate
03-01-2016, 03:08 PM
^ The irony.

HeyHerbert
03-01-2016, 03:43 PM
sorry

I don't really come one forms very much, this is the only one I have used. to try and get this to happen

Jackdaw951
03-01-2016, 06:58 PM

OK, your reasoning is fair enough, and you dispelled my notion from your earlier posts that you were just white-knighting for Ubi. But think about it. Having multiple save slots is neither technically difficult nor the exception to the rule. It very much is the rule, and has been since cartridges got enough battery-backed RAM back in the late '80s. The list of explanations for its absence in the past two real AC games is very short: (1) Incompetence--clearly, we don't believe this. (2) Negligence--they couldn't be bothered, and it saved them a miniscule amount of budget. (3) A self-serving reason--e.g., all Uplay perks earned only apply to the original profile, forcing players to either destroy their progress to keep those in a second playthrough, or use a second profile to earn them again, and perhaps drop some real cash in microtransactions.

None of those reasons are at all flattering, are they? This is where the insults come in.

Jessigirl2013
03-01-2016, 08:23 PM
^ The irony.

Its been duplicating my posts for some reason lately, don't know it its the forums or my bad internet?

sorry

I don't really come one forms very much, this is the only one I have used. to try and get this to happen

I didn't mean to intimidate you, I was genuinely letting you know about the edit post button albeit in a sarcastic manner.:cool:
Don't let me put you off the forums.:(

Farlander1991
03-01-2016, 11:12 PM
OK, your reasoning is fair enough, and you dispelled my notion from your earlier posts that you were just white-knighting for Ubi.

What an honor :p

But think about it. Having multiple save slots is neither technically difficult nor the exception to the rule.

It always depends. It's surprising how many seemingly simple things can be really difficult, depending on the situation.

It very much is the rule, and has been since cartridges got enough battery-backed RAM back in the late '80s.

Yeah, like Pokemon has one save slot even into its DS era or like tons of SNES games' save system resorted to 'put in letters and we'll start you at a certain point in the game'. Or like MGSV, the new Xenoblade Chronicles, or, well, there's plenty of games with one save file even nowadays, even when multiple files is considered to be the norm.

None of those reasons are at all flattering, are they?

Yeah, that's what happens when you nudge reasons in unflattering direction :p

Look. Do you know one of the most frequent complaints all over the Internet about, as an example, Fallout 4 on consoles? Corrupted save files. Save files are a complicated thing.

There's lots of data that one would have to keep in a save file. While I didn't work with save files too extensively personally (not on a big open-world project anyway), the gist of it is something like that - a single collectible would have at least two bytes allocated to it, one responsible for if it's collected or not, and one if it's shown or minimap or not. So that's 1400 bytes for collectibles only. Then we have information for every mission, we need to save if mission is active or not, if it was completed, and if it was was it completed with optional objectives or not, if it's in progress, and if it is and we went through a checkpoint then we need to have something allocated to that so we'd know which checkpoint we were in, which guards were dead at that moment, etc. Then there's all our equipment in total and what we have equipped, and you know, this is just broad stuff right now that doesn't even begin to explain the whole scale of data one needs to work with in an open-world game, and to work correctly because one wrong thing and poof! Save file kaput.

You can say 'this is all well and good, but this applies to single file only, it doesn't mean there can't be three different files containing that type data', and yes, it doesn't, but save systems can be different depending on if we have just one save or several. Particularly, if there's one, then you can make whole systems more efficient (and in a way safer) than if you have several. ACU developers decided to go with that, as they've mentioned somewhere that co-op was the reason for one save profile in ACU. Now, I'm not sure what exact problems were there, but my guess is that it has something to do with synchronizing with correct data. You know how Initiates always bugged out when using several save files on one profile, the game progression/XP system always went nuts. The existing save file system wasn't designed for proper online synchronization, and that might (and I say might because I don't know the exact reason) lead to things like, for example, showing a wrong character or the wrong host world-state because incorrect data was used. Hijinks ensue.

So ACU devs who reworked a lot of the engine, and made it to have normal co-op open worlds and stuff (that you can switch to single-player experience at any moment, that's some complex ****), decided to go with one profile and save file, and based all the systems on that notion. One might guess that it's something that takes quite a lot of time and work.

Ok, but that's co-op and a game that has co-op as its pretty much main feature. ACS doesn't have co-op. ACS, however, took ACU as its framework. Framework, that when it comes to save files, is sharpened for one profile use. In that case, making it work with three save files is not a little amount of work for miniscule amount of budget, that's a considerable system that probably should be done from scratch as nothing good ever comes from partially changing things like that step by step. And you can't just simply reuse AC4 code or earlier because the games are not based on the same framework or internal systems.

Consider other things that ACS was doing to ACU framework:
ACU doesn't have dynamic lighting (it has real slow time of day changes the transitions from one to another are masked with the weather becoming really cloudy so there'd be no proper sun source), ACS has dynamic lighting which is an absolutely different system. Lots of work for that.
ACS needed to rework the way its world was being loaded dynamically because maximum speed of players movement went up from a character running to a carriage boosting, which is fast.
ACS needed to add a proper vehicle system which is another big framework, AI related to that as well.
And there are quite a few of other things that ACS needed to do with ACU framework, I mean from how crowds are processed so crowded areas wouldn't be as laggy, to how other things are processed to fix ACU's technical issues, all of the above and more that's not listed would lead to ****tons of different smaller features that would be needed to be done for it to all work properly as a whole.

So when there's all these things that were needed to be done by the whole team, to make the game and gameplay feel better and work better and the game run better and to bring ACS concepts to life, and as evidenced by many reviews, it was a considerable success, so, when ACS team had to do all these things with ACU framework to make sure it doesn't have the same technical flaws ACU had on launch, do you really think that the absence of multi-profile system has to do with malicious intent or negligence, rather than choices and priorities that they had to set to make the product better overall and avoid pitfalls the company already fell in? Because no one would care about multiple save files if Syndicate was a broken mess of a game.

D.I.D.
03-01-2016, 11:53 PM
I can guess at reasons why multiple saves might not be available/wanted/used enough, but the lack of New Game at a minimum is completely baffling to me. There is no way in the world that market research showed that customers didn't want to start a new game from scratch, or that PC users really wanted to uncover an arcane means to delete/move their save files in order to reset the thing.

Farlander1991
03-02-2016, 12:01 AM
I can guess at reasons why multiple saves might not be available/wanted/used enough, but the lack of New Game at a minimum is completely baffling to me. There is no way in the world that market research showed that customers didn't want to start a new game from scratch, or that PC users really wanted to uncover an arcane means to delete/move their save files in order to reset the thing.

On PC there's ability to reset your save data from in-game menus, the case should be the same on consoles.

D.I.D.
03-02-2016, 12:03 AM
On PC there's ability to reset your save data from in-game menus, the case should be the same on consoles.

Oh! My mistake then, I'll have to investigate when I try the new DLC later (well, after I've played the new DLC anyway).

Farlander1991
03-02-2016, 12:08 AM
Oh! My mistake then, I'll have to investigate when I try the new DLC later (well, after I've played the new DLC anyway).

I actually should investigate as well when I get the chance. I vividly remember seeing that option, but I also see online a lot of questions about deleting save and there's nothing that mentions that option, I wonder if I haven't mistaken it for something else or if it wasn't removed for some reason (or maybe it was added later? O_o ).

EDIT: Yes, there is.
http://s7.postimg.org/psfbhlpa3/delete.jpg

Mr.Black24
03-02-2016, 12:13 AM
I just hope it returns. My brother and I play the PC versions of these games, and the fact he can't go beyond Rogue really sucks. Not to mention buying two of the same games is really redundant. Especially since we had multi save slots for some time now, just going back to one ain't cool bruh.

I feel like I just game them a cash grab idea, but **** this though.

HeyHerbert
03-03-2016, 04:12 PM
I actually should investigate as well when I get the chance. I vividly remember seeing that option, but I also see online a lot of questions about deleting save and there's nothing that mentions that option, I wonder if I haven't mistaken it for something else or if it wasn't removed for some reason (or maybe it was added later? O_o ).

EDIT: Yes, there is.
http://s7.postimg.org/psfbhlpa3/delete.jpg

isn't that brotherhood?

Farlander1991
03-03-2016, 04:23 PM
isn't that brotherhood?

No, that's Syndicate.

I know which game I took the screen from :rolleyes:

Jessigirl2013
03-05-2016, 10:58 AM
No, that's Syndicate.

I know which game I took the screen from :rolleyes:

I adore that fact they have the GUI from older games.:o

Keeps giving me AC2 flashbacks.:rolleyes:

I hope this stays in future entries.:cool:

Jackdaw951
03-05-2016, 05:29 PM
What an honor :p

It always depends. It's surprising how many seemingly simple things can be really difficult, depending on the situation.

Yeah, like Pokemon has one save slot even into its DS era or like tons of SNES games' save system resorted to 'put in letters and we'll start you at a certain point in the game'. Or like MGSV, the new Xenoblade Chronicles, or, well, there's plenty of games with one save file even nowadays, even when multiple files is considered to be the norm.

Yeah, that's what happens when you nudge reasons in unflattering direction :p

Look. Do you know one of the most frequent complaints all over the Internet about, as an example, Fallout 4 on consoles? Corrupted save files. Save files are a complicated thing.

There's lots of data that one would have to keep in a save file. While I didn't work with save files too extensively personally (not on a big open-world project anyway), the gist of it is something like that - a single collectible would have at least two bytes allocated to it, one responsible for if it's collected or not, and one if it's shown or minimap or not. So that's 1400 bytes for collectibles only. Then we have information for every mission, we need to save if mission is active or not, if it was completed, and if it was was it completed with optional objectives or not, if it's in progress, and if it is and we went through a checkpoint then we need to have something allocated to that so we'd know which checkpoint we were in, which guards were dead at that moment, etc. Then there's all our equipment in total and what we have equipped, and you know, this is just broad stuff right now that doesn't even begin to explain the whole scale of data one needs to work with in an open-world game, and to work correctly because one wrong thing and poof! Save file kaput.

You can say 'this is all well and good, but this applies to single file only, it doesn't mean there can't be three different files containing that type data', and yes, it doesn't, but save systems can be different depending on if we have just one save or several. Particularly, if there's one, then you can make whole systems more efficient (and in a way safer) than if you have several. ACU developers decided to go with that, as they've mentioned somewhere that co-op was the reason for one save profile in ACU. Now, I'm not sure what exact problems were there, but my guess is that it has something to do with synchronizing with correct data. You know how Initiates always bugged out when using several save files on one profile, the game progression/XP system always went nuts. The existing save file system wasn't designed for proper online synchronization, and that might (and I say might because I don't know the exact reason) lead to things like, for example, showing a wrong character or the wrong host world-state because incorrect data was used. Hijinks ensue.

So ACU devs who reworked a lot of the engine, and made it to have normal co-op open worlds and stuff (that you can switch to single-player experience at any moment, that's some complex ****), decided to go with one profile and save file, and based all the systems on that notion. One might guess that it's something that takes quite a lot of time and work.

Ok, but that's co-op and a game that has co-op as its pretty much main feature. ACS doesn't have co-op. ACS, however, took ACU as its framework. Framework, that when it comes to save files, is sharpened for one profile use. In that case, making it work with three save files is not a little amount of work for miniscule amount of budget, that's a considerable system that probably should be done from scratch as nothing good ever comes from partially changing things like that step by step. And you can't just simply reuse AC4 code or earlier because the games are not based on the same framework or internal systems.

Consider other things that ACS was doing to ACU framework:
ACU doesn't have dynamic lighting (it has real slow time of day changes the transitions from one to another are masked with the weather becoming really cloudy so there'd be no proper sun source), ACS has dynamic lighting which is an absolutely different system. Lots of work for that.
ACS needed to rework the way its world was being loaded dynamically because maximum speed of players movement went up from a character running to a carriage boosting, which is fast.
ACS needed to add a proper vehicle system which is another big framework, AI related to that as well.
And there are quite a few of other things that ACS needed to do with ACU framework, I mean from how crowds are processed so crowded areas wouldn't be as laggy, to how other things are processed to fix ACU's technical issues, all of the above and more that's not listed would lead to ****tons of different smaller features that would be needed to be done for it to all work properly as a whole.

So when there's all these things that were needed to be done by the whole team, to make the game and gameplay feel better and work better and the game run better and to bring ACS concepts to life, and as evidenced by many reviews, it was a considerable success, so, when ACS team had to do all these things with ACU framework to make sure it doesn't have the same technical flaws ACU had on launch, do you really think that the absence of multi-profile system has to do with malicious intent or negligence, rather than choices and priorities that they had to set to make the product better overall and avoid pitfalls the company already fell in? Because no one would care about multiple save files if Syndicate was a broken mess of a game.

I guess I should take it as an honor too that you put this much effort into dissecting my post. :P

Yes, creating a save-file structure and I/O routine/object for it is not for the faint-of-heart. But once that has been done correctly, it can be repeated across as many files as desired with no additional effort. (Designing a Corolla and tooling up a Toyota factory for it involved significant brain power. Mass-producing it there does not.) This pretty much shoots down the substantive part of your post. I find it odd that you didn't think it through a bit more. Having the I/O object handle a list/vector instead of a single target file is just about the simplest thing there is for a competent programmer. In fact, having the name of the save file hardcoded into the object would be negligence in any case.

Bethesda can't program their way out of a paper bag, but at least they allow as many saves as your system will allow, and the user can choose to take full responsibility for saving game progress across multiple files. The user can then choose to treat his timeline in the game any way he sees fit. I've never lost progress in a Beth game to corruption, after thousands of hours across all of their big games. That's not because their files can't corrupt--yes they can--but because of my diligence in keeping a proper multi-file rotation plus some longer-term backups of significant progress points. A single save file--are you kidding me? If that goes bust for whatever reason, everything is lost. And there is no replay opportunity under the same profile short of losing everything.

Farlander1991
03-05-2016, 06:33 PM
Yes, creating a save-file structure and I/O routine/object for it is not for the faint-of-heart. But once that has been done correctly, it can be repeated across as many files as desired with no additional effort. (Designing a Corolla and tooling up a Toyota factory for it involved significant brain power. Mass-producing it there does not.) This pretty much shoots down the substantive part of your post.

No it doesn't, as I've mentioned that in my post :) The point was ACU was written to handle its save data differently, based on its mix of online & co-op/single player in a single open-world functionality. Which might mean (or might not as I didn't work on ACU so don't know how it works :p ) that the processes in place are not just write and read from a single save file, therefore having it repeated across multiple files won't do jack **** (or will do, but things might get messed up regularly). Even though you can play ACU offline, at its technical core ACU is an online multiplayer title as four players have to co-exist in an open-world that, at the minimum, has to have four characters each correctly represented (gear, stats that influence the open-world, etc), NPC system of the host player being synchronized across other players (even more than that, since if one player goes to an area where NPCs for the host haven't been opened yet, they still must be created on their end and then synchronized with the host when he gets to that area and NPCs load up) while each player on their own has got their own local world progression. That's not what a single-player game has to deal with, nor its what a single-player game with some online features (like online events in AC4) has to deal with, therefore comparing how information is saved between those types of titles and ACU is not fair (I mean, yeah, maybe ACU just regularly synchronizes something with a server database whenever there's a change in gear or skills, but maybe there's also something more than that, or maybe due to the frequency of how many stats might change a database isn't even being used).

Anyway, all I'm saying is, ACU devs decided to use one save file for a reason, which has to do with whatever co-op/online troubles they were having, and the result of their solution does not necessarily mean that it's possible to fully use the system for multiple save files without some proper reworking in some areas, which is what the ACS devs would have to do as that's the framework that they got. And we have no idea what scope of that reworking would be since we don't know how ACU system works in the first place.

Going beyond that would be as much speculation as it would be to say that the reason behind one save file is malicious or negligence :p