PDA

View Full Version : Hi all,newby here

I.GJ53Hoepner
03-04-2004, 11:48 AM
Hi all,

just got IL-2FB yesterday...Amazing for sure...but i'm still too noob to appreciate it in all aspects.
I'm having some troubles with the manual...it's not at all exhaustive! There are many many things not explicated...ad even in the training section things do not go better.
I'm courrently using the Bf-109 in a carreer campaign . My settings are Very difficult for all exept for the view. I managed how to take off and to dogfight but i'm still having a lot of problems with landing..
I'd have a couple of questions....
1-How to properly use "Flaps"? I understand their use for landing and for takin off but how do u use them in combat position?For what they're supposed to exist in this position?
2-The Prop.Pitch....what is it?!I still do not understand how does this work...
3-Mixture?The same as above...
4-Is there around the web any guide or manual for tactics,commands etc?

Thanks a lot in advance for answering...and excuse my bad english

Faithfully
Gen.Hoepner

I.GJ53Hoepner
03-04-2004, 11:48 AM
Hi all,

just got IL-2FB yesterday...Amazing for sure...but i'm still too noob to appreciate it in all aspects.
I'm having some troubles with the manual...it's not at all exhaustive! There are many many things not explicated...ad even in the training section things do not go better.
I'm courrently using the Bf-109 in a carreer campaign . My settings are Very difficult for all exept for the view. I managed how to take off and to dogfight but i'm still having a lot of problems with landing..
I'd have a couple of questions....
1-How to properly use "Flaps"? I understand their use for landing and for takin off but how do u use them in combat position?For what they're supposed to exist in this position?
2-The Prop.Pitch....what is it?!I still do not understand how does this work...
3-Mixture?The same as above...
4-Is there around the web any guide or manual for tactics,commands etc?

Thanks a lot in advance for answering...and excuse my bad english

Faithfully
Gen.Hoepner

essemm
03-04-2004, 12:04 PM
Welcome to Forgotton Battles Gen Hoepner! We're glad to have you aboard. Your English is great! No need too apologise for it!

Landing in FB is tough...I think most of us went through a period where we had some trouble landing. It takes some practice but after a while you will get the hang of it. My advice is to pick one aircraft and stay with it until you master it, and then move on.

Propeller pitch is the angle at which the propeller blade interacts with the air. There are two main types of propellers: variable pitch and constant speed. Each has it's pros and cons. There is an excellent article here:
http://aerodyn.org/Propulsion/propeller.html
which you can read. It should help in your understanding.

Mixture is the ratio of fuel to oxygen that combustion engines use in creating detonation, which effects the power output of the engine. A "rich" mixture is one in which there is a higher concentration of fuel, a "lean" mixture is one in which there is more oxygen. As I am sure you can deduce...this has a direct output on your fuel consumption, engine temperature, airspeed, and engine stress. I tend to use a fairly rich mixture for take-off's, landings and combat, and a medium mixture for cruising.

I am not sure about the links to tactics pages. I am sure there are some out there, which SOMEBODY in here probably knows about.

Welcome to FB Hoepner!

http://server3.uploadit.org/files/141103-warloch_small.jpg

tonedogbf110
03-04-2004, 12:40 PM
Welcome to the community.

If you are looking for a squad then check us out

www.alliedwingedlegion.com

we are big enough to be fun and small enough to be cosy!
We can give you training also, so whatever your skill you are welcome

http://www.iainmccarthy.com/fb/tonedog_sig.jpg

Breeze147
03-04-2004, 12:54 PM
I'm a nOOb too, so welcome. Check out the IL-2 Essentials thread above. Lots of great stuff in there. Go to Eastern Skies and download the user's manual they have. Lots of great links all over this board. I've only been here 2 weeks and have found a wealth of material. The people who fly this sim are very dedicated and put a lot into this. I think you will really enjoy it here.

ZG77_Lignite
03-04-2004, 01:05 PM
'Edited' Apologies as I see you have chosen to look into the Bf109 series, revised below advice to suit.

Make sure you get the latest patch (version 1.22, or purchase Aces Expansion Pack), as things are revised and improved from patch to patch.

Another tip, choose an aircraft to become familiar with. All aircraft in FB are have very individual characteristics, and it is much too dificult to answer your questions for all aircraft. <disregard>

Regarding flaps: flaps change the 'lift characteristics' (increase lift) on your wings, they also increase drag (reduces speed). In short, use them in situations to avoid stalling (stalling=falling out of the sky), examples would be landing, taking off, turning very tightly at a slow speed. Be aware that flaps reduce your speed, and in combat the loss of speed is very dangerous (search for 'energy fighting' for more information).

Prop Pitch: a complex issue. In short, it is used to increase range (save fuel), reduce engine wear (reduces heat build-up). There are many differnt types of prop pitch control systems in FB, see here for more information:

http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~chapman/il2guide/cemguide/intro.htm

<Specific for the Bf-109: The Bf109 does not use a constant speed prop, however it is fitted with a device to emulate this. In 'auto' mode, you need only operate the throttle as you see fit, for example cruise setting might be '65%' or combat settings might be '100%'. In 'manual' mode, you (the pilot) are responsible to directly control the blade angles of the prop to maintain the desired engine RPM. Each 109 (specific 109 engines) have a different 'maximum' RPM, for example I think Bf109e4 is about 2400RPM, depending upon your speed/flight state. As your speed increases (in a dive for example) you will have to reduce prop pitch or your engine RPM will go above the 'maximum' rated RPM, thus damaging your engine. If you go below the rated RPM, you are producing less horsepower (lower speed, less climb, etc). Find out your rated RPM (watching the 'auto' setting will tell you, you might get away with a few more RPM than that without damage) and keep the tachometer at this RPM by adjusting your prop pitch (again, only in manual mode).>

As to fuel mixture: again this is an aircraft (more specifically engine) specific problem. In general, the higher you go (thinner air, less oxygen for combustion), the less fuel (lower mixture percentage in FB) you should inject into your engine. Many aircraft in WWII (and FB) had auto adjustments for fuel mixture and did not require a lot of attention.

<The Bf109 series has automatically regulated fuel mixture (determined by the fuel incjection engine) and it is not necessary for you to mess with it.>

[This message was edited by ZG77_Lignite on Thu March 04 2004 at 12:16 PM.]

I.GJ53Hoepner
03-04-2004, 01:41 PM
Thanks a lot for your answers guys!
I'm reading the links you pointed out which will be very useful for sure.
I'm tryin to watch how the AI pilot fly in "auto-pilot" mode. I noticed that my style is so much different from the Automatic one. Fist of all i'm not able to mantain a very fixed route.Using up or down buttons or left and right ones(i mean the arrows buttons) my plane is never stable and i need to keep correctin my route every second!Is there a way to follow a route without acting your plane like a Hysteric horse?
Secondly...i noticed that the AI is able to turn and change direction in a fewer space and time than me. For example...when i'm following the leading plane of my squad and he decides to turn left for 90? his "arch"(dunno if this is the right term) is smaller than mine;as a result of that i lose contact with the plane i was following.I see that when the autopilot wants to turn he puts down the engine and sometimes opens the Flaps for few seconds...but i do not understand when the right moment comes to slow down the engine and when to push it up...
Now i'll take a look to that link(http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~chapman/il2guide/cemguide/intro.htm ) hoping there will be some answers waiting for me:P

Still thanks a lot!!

Bearcat99
03-04-2004, 01:47 PM
Welcome aboard!! I suggest you just get patched to 1.21 untill you can get the Aces Expansion Pack... then you will be current.Dont worry about 1.22.. it wont be worth the AEP upgrade hassles...especially if you can gety the AEP within the next few weeks.

tenmmike
03-04-2004, 01:57 PM
well welcome but you might as well stop and go get a joy stick you cant fly this sim with the key board ..try and spend at least $40.sorry about that but with no joystick your banging your head against a wall good luck NOTE: ANY joystick is WAY WAY better then none at all GET A JOYSTICK

http://images.ar15.com/forums/smiles/anim_50cal.gifU.S INFANTRY 1984-1991

owlwatcher
03-04-2004, 02:39 PM
Get a saitek X45, thottle & stick setup.
40 dollars used ,80 new.
It will get you away from the key board.
The software is easy to use and change to your taste.
After you have used this and still like the game then you can with a degree of knowledge maybe move to better or more equipment.

essemm
03-04-2004, 03:02 PM
No question Gen Hoepner...you need a joystick to play this sim. I have a Saitek X45 and I love it. There are lots of other joysticks out there. You really need one!

http://server3.uploadit.org/files/141103-warloch_small.jpg

I.GJ53Hoepner
03-04-2004, 04:34 PM
mmm...a Joystick?...my wallet is not that full at the moment.I spent 45 euros for this game 2 days ago and i'm not in the mood to spend another 40 euros this week^_^.
BTW i take your suggestion seriously...i'll hope next month i'll have the money for that joystick...but do u mean that the problem with stability on route that i have encountered is related with the keyboard manner?

Gato-Loco
03-04-2004, 04:49 PM
Well, I play with keyboard and it is fine. I'm sure it would be better with a joystick but I use my computer at work to play, and I couldn't have one sitting on my desk! So don't hurry, you can use the keyboard for a while.

Gato-Loco
03-04-2004, 04:53 PM
Also your problem of stability is not really a problem. You can trim alerons and rudder and make your plane fly straight, but it is hard. The AI planes do it automatically and always fly in an almost perfect line.

I.GJ53Hoepner
03-04-2004, 04:58 PM
i saw just now that there is an expansion going gold in these days...but i was wondering....with my actual system(pIV 2000;geforce 64mb ram;and 512 rimm) i find some problems...sometimes the game just get frozen for few seconds(3 or 4 usually)...i guess it depends on the ramm or the grap card..so if in the new expansion the requirements suggested are higher than for FB i fear these problems will happen even more frequently...any suggestion about that?

tenmmike
03-04-2004, 05:06 PM
i feel compeled to reply to Gato-Loco...man im glad you can fly with the key board but your the only one i know of..good job, i tried one time ..and if i had to fly that way i dont know what i would do.. like i said earlier, ANY joy stick is far better then none at all if cash is tight then may be a super chwap one that has at least a twist on stick rudder maybe 20 euros, it is my personal feeling that you are doing your self a diservice to fly with out one ..and yes i also believe if you had a stick your plane will calm way down and make flying a pleasure instead of a chore .....my opinion and good luck...........on your stuttering deal go over the commuity help room we have grea tech guys .....you may need to turn some of your settings down go ther find out how to post your dxdiag and post that you probly neeh driver updates as well

http://images.ar15.com/forums/smiles/anim_50cal.gif U.S INFANTRY 1984-1991

Bull_Pup
03-04-2004, 05:09 PM
http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~chapman/il2guide/