PDA

View Full Version : SetConvergence?

bonogun
07-13-2004, 05:09 PM
What exactly is meant by this? I'm picturing that it's the point in space where rounds come to a point before crossing paths. But that's theory, and doesn't mean much to me as far as the game is concerned. Is there a "setting" I can tweak with? Or do I have to attack aircraft from a specific distance. If the latter is the case...how the hell do you know how far in meters you are from a given enemy?
Cheers

bonogun
07-13-2004, 05:09 PM
What exactly is meant by this? I'm picturing that it's the point in space where rounds come to a point before crossing paths. But that's theory, and doesn't mean much to me as far as the game is concerned. Is there a "setting" I can tweak with? Or do I have to attack aircraft from a specific distance. If the latter is the case...how the hell do you know how far in meters you are from a given enemy?
Cheers

Yellonet
07-13-2004, 05:19 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I'm picturing that it's the point in space where rounds come to a point before crossing paths.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
That's correct, but it also has to do with elevation of the guns in order for the bullets to "fall down" at set distance.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Is there a "setting" I can tweak with?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
This is set before takeoff and cannot be changed from inside the aircraft.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>how the hell do you know how far in meters you are from a given enemy?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Use The Force Luke. It's wise to train with icons on, it enables you to see how big a certain plane is in you sights at a certain distance.

- Yellonet

bonogun
07-13-2004, 05:26 PM
cool http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/11.gif

horseback
07-13-2004, 06:10 PM
Essentially, it's the point at which your rounds appear to meet on your sight's cross-hairs. With nose mounted armament, it's a fairly minor consideration from 0 to 500m, but if your main guns are in the wings, it becomes critical, because then your rounds literally converge and cross at some point, and firing shorter or longer than your convergence can cause you to miss your target's fuselage or wings.

As Yellonet suggests, use the Force, and find your own Harmonic convergence.

cheers

horseback

"Here's your new Mustangs, boys. You can learn to fly'em on the way to the target. Cheers!" -LTCOL Don Blakeslee, 4th FG CO, February 27th, 1944

WTE_Galway
07-13-2004, 06:25 PM
i had the impression harmonic convergence was a specific term referring to the situation where with multiple wing guns the guns in each seperate wing are set to fire parallel to each other and then the whole set of guns is converged to a distance .. some of the more techo types can probably correct me on that

its also important to remember convergence is in the vertical plane as well as the horizontal

bonogun
07-14-2004, 09:45 AM
All I can see for setting this, is in the arming screen. One for mg and one for cannons. So, I don't see where there is any setting for multiple wing guns...in the game anyway.

AFJ_Locust
07-14-2004, 10:37 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bonogun:
All I can see for setting this, is in the arming screen. One for mg and one for cannons. So, I don't see where there is any setting for multiple wing guns...in the game anyway.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The cannon setting is normaly for the nose, MG for wing, altho there are aircraft with cannon in the wing & mg in the nose LOL

Basicaly the top one is for nose I belive, whatever is in the ac your flying & the bottom one for wing, but if you flying p47 then top one is for inside guns & bottom one for outside guns, main thing with convergance is many ac seem to like differant convergance to be most effective.

I use many differant convergance for many differant ac, Im not telling you what ac @ what convergance, Ill let you have the fun of figuring that all out on yer own http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

http://img20.photobucket.com/albums/v61/AFJ_Locust/161sig.jpg
http://img20.photobucket.com/albums/v61/AFJ_Locust/450x100.jpg
http://fighterjocks.net//

horseback
07-14-2004, 12:30 PM
Galway--

Sorry, the reference to "Harmonic Convergence" is to some New World mystical event wherein all the planets supposedly aligned. It happened a few years back, and a bunch of hippies, psychics, Art Bell fans and New Worlders gathered at 'spiritual hotpoints' like Mt Shasta in northern California, Sedona in Arizona, and probably that mountain Richard Dreyfuss went to in "Close encounters of the Third Kind."

Nothing discernable happened, and one hopes that some of them came back to become useful members of society.

Anyway, I was just playing with the "use the Force, Luke" theme.

cheers

horseback

"Here's your new Mustangs, boys. You can learn to fly'em on the way to the target. Cheers!" -LTCOL Don Blakeslee, 4th FG CO, February 27th, 1944