PDA

View Full Version : Sherlock and Watson in Syndicate

RVSage
02-22-2016, 04:08 AM
I found this mysterious pair of NPCs, very intriguing, Watson and Sherlock I suppose ;)
https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1533/24887956140_9d175e1090_h.jpg

PS : This was me messing around with the camera in game and trying to capture some unique shots, These NPCs have that sherlockian feel

VestigialLlama4
02-22-2016, 08:01 AM
I found this mysterious pair of NPCs, very intriguing, Watson and Sherlock I suppose ;)
https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1533/24887956140_9d175e1090_h.jpg

PS : This was me messing around with the camera in game and trying to capture some unique shots, These NPCs have that sherlockian feel

Sherlock Holmes in a Top Hat? Possible.
Sherlock Holmes with Glasses? unlikely.

I think those two are random NPCs.

Locopells
02-22-2016, 12:21 PM
Sherlock Holmes in a Top Hat? Possible

Definitely. - the thing with the deerstalker (which is only meant for countrywear) was thanks to one of the original illustrator who drew SH wearing it the whole time...

dxsxhxcx
02-22-2016, 12:27 PM
Unless Sherlock and Watson were conjoined twins I don't think these are them... :rolleyes:

VestigialLlama4
02-22-2016, 01:27 PM
Definitely. - the thing with the deerstalker (which is only meant for countrywear) was thanks to one of the original illustrator who drew SH wearing it the whole time...

I was aware of that. Also last year there was a movie called Mr. Holmes starring Ian McKellen that had Holmes with a top hat...but in either case, Holmes wearing spectacles is not there in books or illustrations.

Anycase, even if Holmes isn't there...obviously the Dreadful Crimes are Holmes-esque by way of Benedict Cumberbatch's inaccurate modernization. The diagramming of many clues around the crime-scene is Holmes-vision.

In addition the game has Frederick Abberline who was one of the inspirations for Sherlock Holmes, especially his mastery of disguises.

Locopells
02-22-2016, 01:35 PM
I was aware of that. Also last year there was a movie called Mr. Holmes starring Ian McKellen that had Holmes with a top hat...but in either case, Holmes wearing spectacles is not there in books or illustrations.

Yep, I saw that one too. And yes, you're right about the specs, I was just commenting about the hat!

ERICATHERINE
02-22-2016, 05:15 PM
In addition the game has Frederick Abberline who was one of the inspirations for Sherlock Holmes, especially his mastery of disguises.

Yeah, sure. An old woman with a big beard like that in ac syndicate is certainely not Aberline. Seriously I don't see anyone in the game or me and my twin seeing Aberline in a disguise like that and then saying thing like "this should be an old woman that once worked in a circus as "the women with beard"". :rolleyes:

RVSage
02-22-2016, 06:27 PM

I think those two are random NPCs.

Yup I know they are most likely random NPCs, When I snapped this pic, the posture these two gave , gives a sherlockian feel. And yes the glasses are the only things out of place. :D. We actually have a lot more freedom in camera in Syndicate, I recommend everyone try such stuff

cawatrooper9
02-22-2016, 07:43 PM
Nice find Sage. People need to lighten up a little!

Sherlock stumbling across the Brotherhood, or the Templar Order... that would be interesting indeed!

HDinHB
02-22-2016, 08:56 PM

Well it is Victorian London--lots of things should have that Sherlockian feel. :)

That's Watson, silly. Sherlock is wearing the bowler and mutton chops. Note the prominent aquiline nose.

SpiritOfNevaeh
02-22-2016, 11:16 PM
Gasp! What if Sherlock and Watson turned out to be assassins Jacob recruited in the brotherhood some time during the story line (like behind the scenes)?

Doesnt that sound.... delicious? ( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)

Jessigirl2013
02-23-2016, 03:34 PM
I was surprised they didn't reference Sherlock Holmes or even Downton Abbey in Syndicate not particularly as characters but I thought Shaun would possibly say something witty about them in the database as they are quite popular shows they are known around the world which are set in England.:cool:

cawatrooper9
02-23-2016, 04:07 PM
I was surprised they didn't reference Sherlock Holmes or even Downton Abbey in Syndicate not particularly as characters but I thought Shaun would possibly say something witty about them in the database as they are quite popular shows they are known around the world which are set in England.:cool:

Outside of Easter Eggs (every single citizen of Florence shouting "another caped crusader" at some point in their short NPC lives) AC doesn't make a ton of pop culture jokes.

That being said, I'd actually be pretty suprised if there wasn't a Holmes Easter Egg. I think it has an advantage over Downton Abbey because of how essential and ageless it is- I'm sure Downton Abbey is good, but it's a pretty new television show, and not really even set in the Victorian era anyway.

VestigialLlama4
02-23-2016, 04:31 PM
Outside of Easter Eggs (every single citizen of Florence shouting "another caped crusader" at some point in their short NPC lives) AC doesn't make a ton of pop culture jokes.

That being said, I'd actually be pretty suprised if there wasn't a Holmes Easter Egg. I think it has an advantage over Downton Abbey because of how essential and ageless it is- I'm sure Downton Abbey is good, but it's a pretty new television show, and not really even set in the Victorian era anyway.

Well there are a lot of Sherlock Holmes easter eggs. You have Arthur Conan Doyle, you have Abberline (who inspired Holmes)...but most importantly is Henry Raymond, who is the Penny Dreadful Writer and Mission Chief of the Dreadful Crimes sub-missions and Artie's mentor.

In real-life Henry Raymond was an alias of Adam Worth, the man who inspired James Moriarty.

Assassin's Creed generally likes to tackle fiction by dealing with the historical inspirations behind the fiction. So there is that. I mean having other fictional characters in AC would wreck the games in my view.

cawatrooper9
02-23-2016, 04:43 PM
Well there are a lot of Sherlock Holmes easter eggs. You have Arthur Conan Doyle, you have Abberline (who inspired Holmes)...but most importantly is Henry Raymond, who is the Penny Dreadful Writer and Mission Chief of the Dreadful Crimes sub-missions and Artie's mentor.

In real-life Henry Raymond was an alias of Adam Worth, the man who inspired James Moriarty.

Assassin's Creed generally likes to tackle fiction by dealing with the historical inspirations behind the fiction. So there is that. I mean having other fictional characters in AC would wreck the games in my view.

Ah, well there you go.
I wasn't aware Doyle was in the game, and I didn't really consider Abberline to be an Easter egg because of his relative prominence in the game, but the rest sound like they fit the bill.

VestigialLlama4
02-23-2016, 07:24 PM
Ah, well there you go.
I wasn't aware Doyle was in the game, and I didn't really consider Abberline to be an Easter egg because of his relative prominence in the game, but the rest sound like they fit the bill.

Well the Dreadful Crimes missions...okay if you don't have Playstation 4 you don't have them I guess.

cawatrooper9
02-23-2016, 07:46 PM
Well the Dreadful Crimes missions...okay if you don't have Playstation 4 you don't have them I guess.

I got it for my XBone instead of my PS4, like an idiot.

And yeah, I considered those, but I haven't played them so I can't say for certain if there's a direct link to Holmes (outside of the fact that they're based around crime solving, I presume).

HDinHB
02-23-2016, 11:50 PM

I like they way they handle it.

That being said, I'd actually be pretty suprised if there wasn't a Holmes Easter Egg. I think it has an advantage over Downton Abbey because of how essential and ageless it is- I'm sure Downton Abbey is good, but it's a pretty new television show, and not really even set in the Victorian era anyway. .

It's "capering crusader" for copyright reasons :).

Hopefully you'll get access to the Dreadful Crimes soon. There are some Easter Eggs you'll enjoy:
There's a mystery called The Fiend of Fleet Street including a barber named "Feeney Sodd" :rolleyes:. Also, and I think you can see this in the main game, there is a building with a prominent sign Todd's Pies. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0408236/?ref_=nv_sr_1