PDA

View Full Version : More newbee adventures(long)

FPerkin
08-24-2004, 09:36 AM
Boy I love this game! I've decided to settle on learning to fly the P63, but thanks to the excellent advice from the fellows on this board, I'm making good progress. I do all my practicing offline, utilizing the quick mission builder. The next issue I have is dealing with bombers. I try to get a good altitude advantage on them and zoom in on them at or above 400kph, but their guns always get me before I can even get close. I have their settings on average, but they all shoot like Sgt. York. Any advice gents? Thanx

FPerkin
08-24-2004, 09:36 AM
Boy I love this game! I've decided to settle on learning to fly the P63, but thanks to the excellent advice from the fellows on this board, I'm making good progress. I do all my practicing offline, utilizing the quick mission builder. The next issue I have is dealing with bombers. I try to get a good altitude advantage on them and zoom in on them at or above 400kph, but their guns always get me before I can even get close. I have their settings on average, but they all shoot like Sgt. York. Any advice gents? Thanx

Multimetal
08-24-2004, 09:59 AM
Best tactic-head-on passes. The AI B-17's don't seem to utilize their chin turrets very often, so do like the real-life Luftwafe and pass through head-on, split-s down, reform, climb ahead, and do it again. The chin turret introduction on the B-17G was pretty much a direct response to this type of attack, so it was pretty prevalent IRL.

F19_Ob
08-24-2004, 10:22 AM
The big 37mm cannon on is quite difficult to use.

When I practise the p39 or p63 cannon in quickcombat I enable a trigger in setting for cannon alone.
Compared to the german cannons the p39 and p63 is more difficult to hit with.
However big targets like bombers can be downed from behind and outside the bombergunners range since this cannon have flat trajectory and wont arc as much as the german ones.
The 37mm also have greater punch when u do hit.

The reason for why the german 30mm is a more effective weapon is that it fires its rounds in faster succession and the plane dont rock as much when firing.

I get better results if I fire the p39 cannon with single shells and take careful aim everytime.
When chasing fighters I get best results if I use mg's solely because the cannon throws the plane of aim and interrupts the flow, if u will.
The mg's are of heavy type so they are fully capable of downing fighters. I ofcourse use the canon sometimes too, when and if I end up directly behind or the enemy crosses my path at close range, but I prefer to criple the enemy first and then finish him off with the cannon, if possible.

Oh...and another thing. Although the p39 isnt as fast as bf109 and fw190 , I still use to set weapons convergence to only 150m. this will give a very concentrated hit-pattern at 100-200m and an ok pattern at 300-400m.
This way u can severly criple a fighter with one short burst at the effective range instead of scattering the rounds all over the sky.
Its ofcourse possible to hit fighters on greater range like 400-500m with the mg's, but the hit probability is so much smaller and a convergence on 400m isnt that effective on 100-200m where u have best probability of a kill.

just a few thoughts

[This message was edited by F19_Ob on Tue August 24 2004 at 10:00 AM.]