PDA

View Full Version : Assassin's Creed May Not Have Yearly Releases When It Returns, Ubisoft Says

Sushiglutton
02-18-2016, 06:06 PM
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/assassins-creed-may-not-have-yearly-releases-when-/1100-6434900/

Asked during a presentation during Ubisoft's Investor Day whether Assassin's Creed would be yearly releases when the franchise is re-introduced, Guillemot said releases would be "regular" but didn't commit to the yearly cycle.

"The goal is not automatically to come back on annual cycle but to come on a regular basis," he said. We saw it was time to give it lots of time so [developers] could really work on the property and all the mechanics to make sure we could take [the series] to another level.

He added: "What we are seeing today is promising. We will be able to come on a regular basis [but] we can't say every year.

Interesting. Time to start bunkering AC merchandise for what may be an AC free year in 2018 :rolleyes:?

edit:

Later on in the presentation, chief financial officer Alain Martinez suggested the franchise could eventually return to yearly releases.

"We have focused one of our best teams behind what we are working on Assassin's Creed. We have given them all the time for releasing something that we hope to be exceptional. We are setting up rules so that they will have enough time to polish the game and come with something really exceptional, so this is what we have for our first priority.

"Then after that, if we feel like we are in the right direction and that we can continue the path and we have enough innovation for the next one, we might come with the next one in the next year. But it's no longer something that will be set up every year."

m4r-k7
02-18-2016, 06:13 PM
Hmm if AC Empire is great, then will they use this as a lesson that the games should not be annual, or will it then return to annualisation as they will have a solid foundation? xD

RinoTheBouncer
02-18-2016, 06:13 PM
I was wondering about that myself when they made the announcement and actually it's pretty good news, because that means each new installment will take enough feedback from fans and enough time to be developed, tested and to evolve and also learn from the mistakes and the right things in the past ones.

lothario-da-be
02-18-2016, 06:50 PM
Ubisoft, you okay?

crusader_prophet
02-18-2016, 07:08 PM
I was about to post this and I see sushi beat me to it. Dang it sushi!

Anyways, keep the good news rolling UbiSoft. Liking your recent attitude and philosophy. Just keep it up.

This particularly gives me hope:

We saw it was time to give it lots of time so [developers] could really work on the property and all the mechanics to make sure we could take [the series] to another level.

VestigialLlama4
02-18-2016, 07:33 PM
They will totally make annual games... relax you guys.

VoXngola
02-18-2016, 07:47 PM
I think Ubisoft is ill!

pacmanate
02-18-2016, 08:13 PM
Would be a good idea. Ubisoft have great franchises that imo havent reached their full potential but potentially could with more time.

AC/ Far Cry - 2017
Watch Dogs/The Division/Wastelands - 2018

Or something like that, or even a 2 year gap between 1 franchise would suit me. I wouldnt mind a great W_D game one year then AC the next, the year after Wastelands then back to AC.

I-Like-Pie45
02-18-2016, 08:23 PM
of course

it will have half-yearly releases when it returns

NAVID4ASSASSIN
02-18-2016, 08:56 PM
i want whatever yves smokes these days, oh man he high AF, like enough just enough, u can please the entire fans by killing off this ****y franchise right now hell they would even cry in happiness and give u their money, but please dont say such bullcrap statements like this. damn.

crusader_prophet
02-18-2016, 09:23 PM
i want whatever yves smokes these days, oh man he high AF, like enough just enough, u can please the entire fans by killing off this ****y franchise right now hell they would even cry in happiness and give u their money, but please dont say such bullcrap statements like this. damn.

Your grammar is way off base, strangely you display proficiency in foul language in a poorly written post. Shame.

NAVID4ASSASSIN
02-18-2016, 09:31 PM
is it so hard for u to mind ur own businees? i know it is

SpiritOfNevaeh
02-18-2016, 11:53 PM
I don't mind if they come back for a yearly release, as long as the quality of the games don't suffer.

They said on many different occasions in the past that we will continue to release games on a yearly basis as long as the game quality stays top notch.

And now that we're not getting one this year, they realized their mistakes with Unity and such and are hoping to make future game releases good enough for a yearly release. :)

Laarkoz
02-18-2016, 11:53 PM
I hope so, AC could finally be a great franchise again. But you simply can't combine AAA quality/depth with annual release, and expect to have an amazing game.

Skipping just one year is total nonsense.

Sushiglutton
02-19-2016, 03:48 PM
I was about to post this and I see sushi beat me to it. Dang it sushi!

Anyways, keep the good news rolling UbiSoft. Liking your recent attitude and philosophy. Just keep it up.

This particularly gives me hope:

I'm Faster than the speed of love...! Hopefully you are right about a shift in philosophy/attitude. For a while I've thought that to be way more important than any specific changes. Letting the quality decide the pace rather than the pace deciding the quality would be wonderful :D!

Jessigirl2013
02-19-2016, 04:22 PM
Your grammar is way off base, strangely you display proficiency in foul language in a poorly written post. Shame.
Congrats on actually being able to read it, I couldn't manage the first sentence (if that's what you can call it)
*sees his reply
138 posts, how's he gone that long without being banned.:rolleyes:

I don't mind if they come back for a yearly release, as long as the quality of the games don't suffer.

They said on many different occasions in the past that we will continue to release games on a yearly basis as long as the game quality stays top notch.

And now that we're not getting one this year, they realized their mistakes with Unity and such and are hoping to make future game releases good enough for a yearly release. :)

Yeah I'm with you on this.
I was happy with them continuing yearly releases after Syndicate was released in a playable state :rolleyes:
I feel its more of a PR move by UBI though, as the press have been giving them a hard time about the yearly release.
I cant wait until the press realizes it wont be a dramatic change though... and there will still be bugs as all games do.

SixKeys
02-19-2016, 04:27 PM
It's positive news that they're even saying this out loud at this point. It means they acknowledge the fans' concerns. Up till now they've always put on a poker face and denied any possibility of franchise fatigue. I would much prefer to have an amazing AC game every two (or more) years than a mediocre one every year.

crusader_prophet
02-19-2016, 05:47 PM
It's positive news that they're even saying this out loud at this point. It means they acknowledge the fans' concerns. Up till now they've always put on a poker face and denied any possibility of franchise fatigue. I would much prefer to have an amazing AC game every two (or more) years than a mediocre one every year.

Oh SixKeys, these words unlocked every locked chords in my heart as they resonate with mine.

I'm Faster than the speed of love...! Hopefully you are right about a shift in philosophy/attitude. For a while I've thought that to be way more important than any specific changes. Letting the quality decide the pace rather than the pace deciding the quality would be wonderful :D!

And I travel at speed of EM waves, but I guess it's true when they say love transcends all. Hence our love for AC hopefully brings along this anticipated shift in a true sense. Fingers crossed.

cawatrooper9
02-19-2016, 06:29 PM
Obviously this means we're getting two games a year...
:p

Seriously, though, I hope all you anti-annualization people are happy. Less games, and not necessarily an increase in quality. Woohoo!

Xstantin
02-19-2016, 06:59 PM

Or Ubi will take tips from Hitman and make it episodic :D

NAVID4ASSASSIN
02-19-2016, 07:25 PM

Seriously, though, I hope all you anti-annualization people are happy. Less games, and not necessarily an increase in quality. Woohoo!

not necessarily an increase in quality.
u never fail to make me happy cawa:)

crusader_prophet
02-19-2016, 07:28 PM

Way to alienate us there cawa. Anyways, we will see soon how annualization is correlated with quality...if the staggering amount of currently existing evidence is not enough. Read the last bullet in my post in the "helping out devs" thread.

Rugterwyper32
02-19-2016, 07:46 PM
To be honest, while I think this year of break will help with the core of the series get strengthened (though I have a few reservations about the rumors about next game, but that's another topic entirely), I don't think it'll necessarily be something like the second coming or whatnot. I don't think it'll be that big of an improvement, but it'll help with some of the core elements that have needed improving from the start.
As for annualization, I honestly haven't ever had a problem with that, but strengthening the core is a good idea, so I'll take this year. Still gotta play Syndicate anyway, will probably get it later this year. Honestly, this is a series that I like with annualization, there's a fair amount of historical locations to explore across history and I like the idea of having a new historical location/event every year, not like anyone else is doing that for me to consider otherwise. And I've never really cared for modern day, so as long as it exists for the sake of being the nice framing device it is, the rest doesn't really matter to me.

Civona
02-19-2016, 08:52 PM
hey, neat, they're treating it like a real video game

dxsxhxcx
02-19-2016, 09:55 PM

Then we'll know that there is something really wrong at Ubisoft and ask them to take even more time between releases so they can figure out what they've been doing wrong.

RVSage
02-19-2016, 10:20 PM
of course

it will have half-yearly releases when it returns

you are the best bear :D

pacmanate
02-19-2016, 11:42 PM

But thats the great thing. We don't know yet whether annualisation is what has kept AC's quality the same for 5 years.

At least now we will know if annualisation is AC's quality culprit.

As it stands, I think a gap every year will make AC's games better. Simple reason being a lot more pressure is on to deliver a quality product. If you keep releasing a game year after year, you're going to get profits anyway. As soon as you take a gap year and then return there is a lot more riding on that one product to do well.

doogsy91
02-20-2016, 12:26 AM
They said after Brotherhood that there'd be no AC in 2011 and look what happened.

Quantity over quality is Ubisoft's mantra methinks.

breakdownthewall
02-20-2016, 11:06 AM
This is the best thing that could have happened to the franchise.

Jessigirl2013
02-20-2016, 01:52 PM
Or Ubi will take tips from Hitman and make it episodic :D

Ugh...
Don't give them ideas, they're only just realised that companion apps and micro transactions are a bad idea.:rolleyes:

Jessigirl2013
02-20-2016, 01:55 PM

Its not too late for you to change your mind UBI!:rolleyes:

I think this will be the case though, for all we know they could produce the same quality game and just take their time doing it. I doubt it will be that higher quality than Syndicate.

breakdownthewall
02-21-2016, 11:41 AM
It has to be better than Syndicate. Before I say more, let me just state that I haven't played Syndicate yet.
I know for a fact that many people feel Syndicate is a better Unity without the glitches. I'm sure the setting and characters provide a different experience, but it clearly isn't much different overall.
If they work on a game for more than a year, we could expect some big and noticeable differences in the game, like we did with Assassin's Creed 2. Can we expect similar results from the next AC? Not really, but they've already taken the first right step.

(I do realize that game developers work for years on some aspects of every AC game, like strategizing the direction of the game etc, but again, ACII happens to be the only game in the franchise that took two years to come out, and during that period, no other AC game was being worked on, which is something that helped the game's development.)

Assassin's Creed III was worked on for approximately two years, too. While it wasn't a great game by any means, it introduced new ideas and did few things differently, which is something that is essential for the next major title.

ERICATHERINE
02-21-2016, 04:43 PM
Assassin's Creed III ...it wasn't a great game by any means...

Speak for yourself. Assassin's creed iii was, on the opinions of at least me and my brother,the best ac game at least to equality with ac syndicate. Plus it have the best md from EVERY ac game. Also, while I should admit it is not liked by everyone, it is the more loved ac game in the world from a statistic I saw on this forum. ^-^

breakdownthewall
02-22-2016, 05:21 AM
Speak for yourself. Assassin's creed iii was, on the opinions of at least me and my brother,the best ac game at least to equality with ac syndicate. Plus it have the best md from EVERY ac game. Also, while I should admit it is not liked by everyone, it is the more loved ac game in the world from a statistic I saw on this forum. ^-^

Even with all the praise ACIII might receive today from casual fans who haven't played every AC game, you will still see a comment every now and then about how ACII is the best and no other title has been able to top it, from both casual and AC fans.
I myself like ACIII too, but not as much as ACII. Don't get me wrong, I did like it very much, but I don't know if it qualifies as one of the best in the series (and yes, speaking for myself lol).

ERICATHERINE
02-22-2016, 04:56 PM
(and yes, speaking for myself lol).

Lol. XD

Jessigirl2013
02-23-2016, 03:53 PM
Even with all the praise ACIII might receive today from casual fans who haven't played every AC game, you will still see a comment every now and then about how ACII is the best and no other title has been able to top it, from both casual and AC fans.
I myself like ACIII too, but not as much as ACII. Don't get me wrong, I did like it very much, but I don't know if it qualifies as one of the best in the series (and yes, speaking for myself lol).

I think the whole ACII is the best thing is somewhat to do with nostalgia :rolleyes:
As it was the game that made a lot of people fall in love with AC.:rolleyes:

ERICATHERINE
02-23-2016, 04:29 PM
I think the whole ACII is the best thing is somewhat to do with nostalgia :rolleyes:
As it was the game that made a lot of people fall in love with AC.:rolleyes:

This. ^-^

cawatrooper9
02-23-2016, 04:34 PM
It has to be better than Syndicate. Before I say more, let me just state that I haven't played Syndicate yet.

Yo Taylor, Imma stop you right there.

For the record, Ubisoft, this is probably the case with a decent amount of the anti-annualization crowd. At least, that's the case among many of my friends.

Maybe try playing the game first before saying whether it has to or has to not do anything. Syndicate actually is a pretty enjoyable game, I think you'll have some fun! :D

adster01
02-25-2016, 12:34 AM
all i can say about the subject line of this thread is................... :(

Sad news indeed i hope its not true

Jessigirl2013
02-26-2016, 09:02 PM
all i can say about the subject line of this thread is................... :(

Sad news indeed i hope its not true

Same here.:(