PDA

View Full Version : Assassin's Creed: The Last Descendants - Book Series Announced!

RinoTheBouncer
02-18-2016, 04:58 PM
https://40.media.tumblr.com/56c8af465acf2e4861abb4aeb12b4121/tumblr_o2r0mchSRS1s9zjv1o1_1280.jpg

https://41.media.tumblr.com/1a047b9f92eee4897037958135053b81/tumblr_o2r0mchSRS1s9zjv1o2_1280.jpg

Scholastic will publish a young adult novel series called Last Descendants, inspired by the world of Ubisoft’s Assassin’s Creed franchise, which has its roots in video games. Authored by Matthew J. Kirby, the first novel will be released in September 2016 in the U.S., Canada, Australia, and New Zealand.

“We’ve had such success with middle grade series, like Jedi Academy and DC Secret Hero Society, that are in that world of licensing, and we wanted to do something in YA,” says Debra Dorfman, Scholastic’s v-p and publisher, global licensing and media consumer products. “We thought historical fiction/sci-fi/fantasy was perfect for the YA audience, and we admired Assassin’s Creed because of its rich historical fiction. They’re so accurate about things that have happened in history.”

Dorfman believes the books will have a wide audience. “We think because it’s a standalone story, we’ll reach new fans who don’t know the game,” she says, adding, “There are strong female teen characters that have a leading role, and I really think we’ll reach a teen girl audience. They like sci-fi, fantasy, and historical fiction.”

Details: blog.ubi.com/?p=41674 (http://blog.ubi.com/?p=41674)

EDIT:

Mathew J. Kirby just confirmed that there will be a lot of modern day in the Last Descendants books: "the first book will have quite a bit in the modern day. Subsequent books have a lot in modern day."He also confirmed that the book series will be canon.

From the author's website:

So, the word is out now, and I can finally talk about something I’ve been up to since last year. I’ll be writing an original YA Assassin’s Creed series, which is incredible, and to help me out with everyone’s questions, I’ve asked the made-of-straw, ever-inquisitive FAQman to join us.

So, the word is out now, and I can finally talk about something I’ve been up to since last year. I’ll be writing an original YA Assassin’s Creed series, which is incredible, and to help me out with everyone’s questions, I’ve asked the made-of-straw, ever-inquisitive FAQman to join us.Hey, FAQman!

Hey. Listen, I’ve got some questions.

I thought you might. So let’s get started.
Okay, so first thing, Assassin’s Creed?? HOLY CRAP

I know! Can you believe it?

No. Who are you?

I . . . I’m an author.

I know, but like, what have you written?

Well, if you look over in the sidebar of this blog, you’ll see some of my stuff. So far, it’s been mostly middle grade novels. But you’ll notice most of it takes place in different historical settings, and usually with some kind of speculative twist. I love playing with history. Especially secret histories. That’s why writing for Assassin’s Creed was such a perfect fit for me.

How did this whole thing happen?

Well, last year I got an email from an editor at Scholastic, my publisher. They had just partnered with Ubisoft, and they were looking for someone to write an original Assassin’s Creed series. They asked if I’d be interested, and I said YES WHERE DO I SIGN.
So why did they ask you?

Short answer, because I’m incredibly lucky. Longer answer, because the editor knew the kind of historical stuff I like to research and write, he knew I’m a gamer, and I can usually turn projects around pretty quickly.
You’re a gamer?

Yes, but nowadays, because I’m so busy, a pretty casual gamer. (Except for Skyrim – I spent a not-casual number of hours on that game.) I started gaming when I was a kid, playing the King’s Quest series, Quest for Glory series, and other Sierra games on my family’s Atari ST computer. (Remember those? The thing had amazing sound and graphics, but adorably, no hard drive.) I’m mostly into PC games these days as well, but I grew up playing all the Nintendo consoles. I’ve been drawn to the world of Assassin’s Creed from the first game, and Prince of Persia before that. But like I said, I’m pretty busy these days, so I’ve just watched my step-son play through the last two Assassin’s Creed games.
And now you’re writing an Assassin’s Creed series.
Yes. Like I said, I’m incredibly lucky.

Is your series tied to any of the games or the movie that’s coming out?

No, this is an all-new story, but fans of the games and graphic novels will notice some familiar names and connections.
So what’s your story about?

Here’s the official synopsis of the first book:

Nothing in Owen’s life has been right since his father died in prison, accused of a crime Owen is certain he didn’t commit. Monroe, the IT guy at school, might finally bring Owen the means to clear his father’s name by letting him use an Animus – a device that lets users explore the genetic memories buried within their own DNA. The experience brings Owen more than he bargained for. During a simulation, Owen uncovers the existence of an ancient and powerful relic long considered a legend – the Trident of Eden. Now two secret organizations will stop at nothing to take possession of this artifact – the Brotherhood of Assassins, and the Templar Order. It soon becomes clear the only way to save himself is to find the Trident first.
Under the guidance of Monroe, Owen and a group of other teenagers go into a memory they all share within their DNA: the 1863 Draft Riots in New York City. Owen and his companions will find themselves tested on the violent streets of New York, and their experiences in the past will have far-reaching consequences in the present.
How has it been working with Ubisoft?

Honestly, it’s been an incredible experience so far. Everyone I’ve worked with has been so supportive and enthusiastic about what I wanted to do with this story.

How much freedom did they give you?

A lot, actually. We had a meeting where they discussed their vision for the story in really broad strokes, but after that I was basically allowed to come up with whatever I wanted. I was able to pick the time periods, create the characters, the plot, all of it. Then I sent it back to them, and the collaboration began, which again, has been amazing. Ubisoft Montreal has some really talented, creative people, and it has never felt like anything was imposed on me. We were all just part of a team working to create a series that would expand and enrich the world of Assassin’s Creed, which itself has almost endless storytelling possibilities.

What do you know about the movie?

A little. I know what I need to know to write my story. They actually asked if I wanted to read the script, but I said no, because I want to go into the theater and be surprised and blown away like everyone else. I think it’s going to be really, really good.
So, is it going to–

I really can’t tell you anything about the movie. Do you have any other questions?
Not at the moment. But if I think of any, I’ll come back and ask you.

ze_topazio
02-18-2016, 05:12 PM
http://rack.1.mshcdn.com/media/ZgkyMDEzLzAzLzMwL2VhL0RhdmlkQ3J5LmI1OGM3LmdpZgpwCX RodW1iCTEyMDB4OTYwMD4/df4aa4e0/5f3/DavidCry.gif

http://i2.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/019/649/OK_thumb.png

I-Like-Pie45
02-18-2016, 05:12 PM
1863 Draft Riots in New York City

I'm looking forward to seeing how Ubisoft avoids mention of Connor in this one

VoXngola
02-18-2016, 05:16 PM
Another one.

VestigialLlama4
02-18-2016, 05:53 PM
Ah...Ubisoft...

You never fail to disappoint.

Xstantin
02-18-2016, 07:59 PM
Meh

nukelukespuke34
02-18-2016, 09:52 PM
Uhhhhh..... sigh. Well the fact that this is canon is pretty disappointing. I just hope the games and these books will be kept completely separate. As long as the games don't have any references to this (a la Galina showing up in Sydicate, not that it was bad) I'd be ok with it. Just don't have this Owen kid show up in the games, or even referenced and I'd be happy.

RinoTheBouncer
02-19-2016, 12:42 AM
Why wouldn't anyone want a canon story? I mean do you want random fragmented stories told here and there so that 10 years from now, we star saying "Desmond of the reboot" vs. "Desmond of the games" or "Galina in the games was killed while in the comics she's still alive"? I'd rather die than see that happen.

They don't have to be linked to the games, but they should be in the same canon and universe. And there's nothing wrong with some characters being introduced in the books and eventually showing up in the games. I mean who didn't want Galina in the games after seeing her in AC Initiates? they just have to make the roles in the games big enough and don't feel like the story started halfway through.

Ichrukia56
02-19-2016, 01:16 AM
Why wouldn't anyone want a canon story? I mean do you want random fragmented stories told here and there so that 10 years from now, we star saying "Desmond of the reboot" vs. "Desmond of the games" or "Galina in the games was killed while in the comics she's still alive"? I'd rather die than see that happen.

They don't have to be linked to the games, but they should be in the same canon and universe. And there's nothing wrong with some characters being introduced in the books and eventually showing up in the games. I mean who didn't want Galina in the games after seeing her in AC Initiates? they just have to make the roles in the games big enough and don't feel like the story started halfway through.

agreed it makes everything more connected within the same universe.

Sorrosyss
02-19-2016, 02:05 AM
With no game this year, other media is our only means of getting any lore this year. I'm at least thankful that these are considered canon, and that they continue to invest in the Modern Day. I just hope it pays off with more Modern Day in the games, rather than shifting it to the tertiary media that has happened of late. I'm all for the connected universe though - Marvel have done an amazing job with their properties on this theme. Ubisoft would be wise to try and emulate that.

To this book in particular though - New York... again? :p I get its a major city and had many major events occur there, but we honestly have so many more places that we can explore.

Personally I'm more invested in the AC comics than any of the novels. I guess I just prefer pretty pictures to maintain my limited attention span, and to compliment my lack of imagination. :D

The comment about trying to attract a female teen audience is interesting. I'm no longer a teen (alas), but for me the most obvious draw would be to have the main character female. There is a reason why The Hunger Games has such a large female fanbase - I can't think why that is though...

Anyhoo, the Trident sounds interesting, and it suggests that it may tie in to the next game in a way. I have a few theories, but whether I'll pick this up, I'm not so sure.

Civona
02-19-2016, 03:06 AM
It's not written by Bowden. That's an undeniable plus.

Also I like the whole concept of teens messing with an animus, it seems similar to a concept Darby mentioned once. having a younger viewpoint and a more personal self-motivated story helps set the premise apart from what each AC game usually is.

Mr.Black24
02-19-2016, 03:36 AM

For me, I just fear that the possibility of the new story that might conflict with already established lore or ruin it. Like for example, the Precursor Box was just an item until it became an actual thing of the FC. Four games later, plus all of Chronicles, we are still stuck with "The Templars have the Box, oh noses" sort of deal.

It shouldn't take so long to explain it, and it shouldn't be thrown in with more powers without more explanation on why it does so. Why does it link to a map to the locations of the Precursor Trees? What do the Trees do? How is it that it can contain the spirit of a long dead Assassin? Now this new ability just took into the supernatural route, something that AC was never meant to be, as its historic/sc-fi fiction and now, spirits and ghosts? What next, magic powers and sorcery? I just don't know what to think of it.

I just hope that whatever new lore we get, not only does not drag on, but actually contributes to the universe without complications and conflicts with future lore.

breakdownthewall
02-19-2016, 05:15 AM
I love AC Forsaken and I'm willing to know more about this, but I wish the story wasn't focused on a.. kid. Also the fact that the target audience is school kids, I don't know.

breakdownthewall
02-19-2016, 05:16 AM
It's not written by Bowden. That's an undeniable plus.

No doubt about that.

Senningiri_GR
02-19-2016, 08:39 AM
But there is a mistake...

The reason Subject 16 could not see all of Ezio's memories is because he is a descendant of Ezio, but not of Sofia so Ezio's life in his memories is cut to the ppoint that Ezio had a child earlier. That is why the Assassins had Subject 17 to do this as the is an ancestors of Sofia's children which were in the end of his life and thats why we saw it.

How can this guy in the new noved do this as genetic lines change person by birth???

Farlander1991
02-19-2016, 08:56 AM
But there is a mistake...

The reason Subject 16 could not see all of Ezio's memories is because he is a descendant of Ezio, but not of Sofia so Ezio's life in his memories is cut to the ppoint that Ezio had a child earlier. That is why the Assassins had Subject 17 to do this as the is an ancestors of Sofia's children which were in the end of his life and thats why we saw it.

How can this guy in the new noved do this as genetic lines change person by birth???

I've reread the synopsis, and I'm not sure I see any mistake. Or what exactly are you referring to?

ze_topazio
07-29-2016, 01:25 AM
Spoilers ahead, Shay's descendant appears in this book.

https://scontent.flis2-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/13887064_837626696338241_8902143509663630311_n.jpg ?oh=6b66fbb4fe1e51b07a3b7407f7d1408c&oe=5813E218

I-Like-Pie45
07-29-2016, 04:16 PM
that's a very silly name

like something you'd find on a carton of goat cheese

ze_topazio
07-29-2016, 05:57 PM
AC writers always go out of their way to give the main characters real but really obscure and bizarre names, but when you start naming your characters "Cudgel" you know you may be going too far.

cawatrooper9
07-29-2016, 07:18 PM
I love how Ubisoft skipped releasing a game in 2016 to remedy franchise fatigue...

SpiritOfNevaeh
07-30-2016, 12:27 AM
I love how Ubisoft skipped releasing a game in 2016 to remedy franchise fatigue...

Lolz

I also don't like how they're skipping generations e.g. grandchildren but not the children.

They did that to Jacob Frye: Lydia Frye, and Adewale: Eseosa

ze_topazio
07-30-2016, 12:59 AM
Well, we got to see Altair's oldest son and Ezio's oldest daughter.

LoyalACFan
07-30-2016, 03:00 AM
AC writers always go out of their way to give the main characters real but really obscure and bizarre names, but when you start naming your characters "Cudgel" you know you may be going too far.

"Hi, I'm Connor, allow me to introduce you to my son, Bowandarrow McTomahawk Kenway"

Mr.Black24
07-30-2016, 03:31 AM
I'm just wondering if they will even make a Connor mention at all, I mean they avoided him in Syndicate and in the novels somehow, so it would not surprise me, just be insulting, if there is no mention of him and his legacy.

SpiritOfNevaeh
07-30-2016, 04:31 PM
Well, we got to see Altair's oldest son and Ezio's oldest daughter.

I meant, like post Ezio games/stories.

"Hi, I'm Connor, allow me to introduce you to my son, Bowandarrow McTomahawk Kenway"

Pffftttt LOLz

RinoTheBouncer
08-01-2016, 01:27 PM
To be quite honest, I really don't wanna see any new characters, unless they're in an new and interest setting, such as Egypt and they actually plan on telling a full cohesive story through games, and actually make me care about them. Otherwise, we have many characters whose stories and their sons and daughters' stories are far from fulfilled and over and have generated enough interest within the fanbase that they still ask for more, till today.

So I truly wish that whatever new character we get next, I hope it's either someone we know or someone know who have a planned story arc that won't just end by showing a year or two of their life in one game and then just giving mentions here and there in files, comics or novels just as a fan service.