PDA

View Full Version : Chronicles Russia: Religious Offence

ENDrain
02-14-2016, 06:58 PM
Assassin's Creed series was always most careful tacling religious matters. "Our team consists of people of different religious faiths and beliefs", can we read every time the game launches. Apparently there're no Russian Orthodox Christians in the developers team, otherwise they would've known that Grand Duchess Anastasia is canonised by Russian Orthodox Church as a holy martir.

Portraiyng her as a killer is a major offence against our faith. By the legislation of Russian Federation (and some other countries) I can sue publisher and/or developer for a religious offence. I appeal to Ubisoft to acknowledge the mistake and suspend the game's sales until a patch is released that changes the game's plot appropriately.

Anykeyer
02-15-2016, 10:19 AM
AC games are anti-religious. They openly say that humans are not created by god. Thats why this disclaimer is there. Why all of a sudden orthodox church should be treated differently?
The rest of the disclaimer states that games are "a work of fiction". Which means they should not be considered historically accurate. They took a lot of liberties when portraying other countries historical figures. But we yet to hear about any sales bans.

Jessigirl2013
02-15-2016, 06:31 PM
Assassin's Creed series was always most careful tacling religious matters. "Our team consists of people of different religious faiths and beliefs", can we read every time the game launches. Apparently there're no Russian Orthodox Christians in the developers team, otherwise they would've known that Grand Duchess Anastasia is canonised by Russian Orthodox Church as a holy martir.

Portraiyng her as a killer is a major offence against our faith. By the legislation of Russian Federation (and some other countries) I can sue publisher and/or developer for a religious offence. I appeal to Ubisoft to acknowledge the mistake and suspend the game's sales until a patch is released that changes the game's plot appropriately.

AC games are anti-religious. They openly say that humans are not created by god. Thats why this disclaimer is there. Why all of a sudden orthodox church should be treated differently?
The rest of the disclaimer states that games are "a work of fiction". Which means they should not be considered historically accurate. They took a lot of liberties when portraying other countries historical figures. But we yet to hear about any sales bans.

I agree as I Christian I have never had a issue with the franchise whose main story is about how God didn't actually exist.:rolleyes:

I find it hilarious how some people get their knickers in a twist of these matters ;)

Its a intriguing work of fiction and the disclaimer says just that (you think they added that in the beginning just for lols:rolleyes:) Its was to stop people freaking out like this.:cool:

Good luck with suing one of the largest game devs
If you win I hope you distribute the money to all people of the religious that are affected by this "religious offence".
Otherwise I think that's a religious sin, Whatever religion you are.:rolleyes:

Have a good day.:cool:

ENDrain
02-20-2016, 05:39 PM
I can't remember a place in the franchise where it was explicitly stated or indirectly implied that God can't or doesn't exist in this fictional universe. The question is avoided, which is ok for me as it gives me freedom to assume He does.

The franchise also never before have made direct use of a historical person or location or object, important for any religion out there. I mean, Jerusalem is a Holy city, and it is a major location of the series' first installment, but they don't say that it was built by the precursors. No blasphemy here. The only thing they ever did directly connected to religion is labeling the precursor artefacts as "peaces of Eden". But I was able to get over this, too, because it's labeling a fictional object, which by itself holds no good or evil, but is just a tool, after a historical location of religious importance. Can't find blasphemy here, too.

But this time, they took a person of direct religious worshipping and altered her biography in a work of fiction in such a way that it becomes blasphemy. They never did this before and I think they shouldn't have.

JohnConnor2012
02-21-2016, 04:25 AM
Hardly a spoiler to say AC2 ends with a 'punch a pope' session and Rodrigo Borgia (pope Alexander VI) is presented outrageously, even by the standards of Reformation era propaganda. Do we get the Catholics crying about a mere piece of fictional light entertainment? You strike me as a chancer - and an ill-informed one at that. If Russian Orthodoxy can't take even this level of criticism, then it deserves it. We both know its role in promoting Putin's human rights violations--that have led to other video game bans in Russia--has already been condemned by human rights observers.

Jessigirl2013
02-21-2016, 12:57 PM
Hardly a spoiler to say AC2 ends with a 'punch a pope' session and Rodrigo Borgia (pope Alexander VI) is presented outrageously, even by the standards of Reformation era propaganda. Do we get the Catholics crying about a mere piece of fictional light entertainment? You strike me as a chancer - and an ill-informed one at that. If Russian Orthodoxy can't take even this level of criticism, then it deserves it. We both know its role in promoting Putin's human rights violations--that have led to other video game bans in Russia--has already been condemned by human rights observers.

Haha I forgot that :rolleyes:

For those wondering if AC implies God doesn't exist, I would say its states clearly he didn't.

Not only does it state that God did not create the Universe (as it states the precursors did, Sort of)
It also states that that Adam and Eve were also not the first humans created by god and instead they were created by the precursors as slaves to obey them.:rolleyes:

I actually want AC to take a risk and actually go to "jesus time" and actually see what he was doing if he was not in fact the sun of god, and how it got mixed up in history and how the lie of Christianity came to be.:cool:
I think it would be an interesting take, but I doubt it would happen as UBI would have fanatics go nuts over it.
I thought they would touch on it in Syndicate, as Jesus supposedly had the shroud at some point.

strigoi1958
02-22-2016, 01:19 AM
It's a game, a great game but never the less a game and should not be considered anti anything. AC is probably one of the most open series of games ever with references to many things and is made by a multi cultural set of creators. If the people making AC come from various religions and countries and have no problem, I do not see why we should. :)

Crazybone992
02-25-2016, 04:14 PM
I don't see how AC games are religiously offensive. Because clearly "god" in this game is the precursor race and therefore the games are anti-religious. That precursor race theory makes perfect sense actually. I think it's far more believable than christianity. Even satanism feels more appealing to me than christianity lol. But anyway, my point is, it's just a game for crying out loud. It's meant to be an entertainment product and people shouldn't take it so seriously.

Jessigirl2013
02-26-2016, 09:36 PM
]I don't see how AC games are religiously offensive[/B]. Because clearly "god" in this game is the precursor race and therefore the games are anti-religious. That precursor race theory makes perfect sense actually. I think it's far more believable than christianity. Even satanism feels more appealing to me than christianity lol. But anyway, my point is, it's just a game for crying out loud. It's meant to be an entertainment product and people shouldn't take it so seriously.

That's because they aren't.:rolleyes:

Haha I do like AC for its somewhat believeable story, I hope it stays that way and they don't go all bizarre.

DonJuan2000
02-27-2016, 12:50 AM
Totally Agreed man, well said !!! It's a silly question.

Anykeyer
03-02-2016, 01:36 PM
Next time check your facts https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_banned_video_games#Russia