PDA

View Full Version : The Curious Case of the Precursor Boxes (Spoilers)

Sorrosyss
02-13-2016, 03:57 PM
The Precursor Boxes have appeared a number of times throughout the franchise. The first one we saw was given by Ezio to Shao, and later a second box emerged in the West Indies.

http://i.imgur.com/Ybqt7sE.png

As First Civilization artifacts, we have seen them do a few interesting things. Reputedly when used with the Voynich Manuscript, a box was able to translate it. We also saw Shay was able to gain access to a map from one in AC Rogue. The Koh-i-noor was able to power one to do the same feat in ACC India.

http://i.imgur.com/MTw2gMy.png

By far the more interesting development is within ACC Russia though. When a Piece of Eden shard around Orelov's neck touched the box, it interacted with Anastasia. For a few moments she took on the memories, voice, and personality of Shao Jun. It was strongly implied that Ana had to keenly focus to stop the entity taking hold of her.

http://i.imgur.com/5XndwtN.png http://i.imgur.com/9e7VgTq.png

So what could this imply? Does it allow for a full copy of a memory to take over, both mentally and physically? We've seen the Bleeding Effect from the usage of an Animus, whereby genetic memory basically allows the user to gain the abilities of their ancestors. Herein we see the same kind of effect, but from Pieces of Eden. How could this have happened? Well, I would assume that the box has some kind of DNA recording, and by token it would mean that anyone that has touched the box could theoretically be imprinted onto another person.

Flash forward to AC Russia's epilogue, and we now know that Alvaro has a box for the Phoenix Project. Whilst the box may be used with other Pieces of Eden, it feels to me that what occurred to Anastasia was significant enough to take up most of her story arc within the game. By this implication, I would assume that Alvaro might be using the box to bring back an entity whom has previously touched the box. Whom could it be? Juno? Aita? Consus?

One suggestion is that Abstergo may use the box to empower its agents with some of its former great warriors. Throughout the centuries there have been a few notable elite members of the Templar order, known as Black Crosses (http://assassinscreed.wikia.com/wiki/Black_Crosses), with Shay Cormac believed to be amongst their number (These agents will be explored more in the upcoming Templars comic). As Abstergo has Shay's box, his genetic imprint is presumably on the box. After his defeat at the hands of Galina, it is interesting to note that Otso Berg was sent to the same facility. Could he be infused with the imprint of Shay to bolster his own power?

Then of course the question turns to what the Assassins could do. If they are able to track down the Koh-i-noor and Ezio's box, could we see Mr Auditore making a return? What about if Eve once touched the box, and becomes one with Galina or Charlotte?

There is a lot of storytelling potential in this twist. I hope Ubisoft uses it.

http://i.imgur.com/HLFWWHD.png

VestigialLlama4
02-13-2016, 05:22 PM
I think what happened with the Princess was that she accessed the Nexus when those First Civ objects clashed and the Nexus gave her Shao Jun's powers.

The Nexus is the quantum realm...as seen in Ant Man, dimension beyond time and space, and she later downloads other abilities from the Nexus.

Mr.Black24
02-14-2016, 04:01 AM
Seriously though, Shao Jun possessing the Princess has got to be the dumbest thing I have ever heard. Its just another thing they'll never explain again. Like how, when, where, why? Shao Jun said that she never figured out how she got the Box to work that way, so how did this come about?

I think what happened with the Princess was that she accessed the Nexus when those First Civ objects clashed and the Nexus gave her Shao Jun's powers.

The Nexus is the quantum realm...as seen in Ant Man, dimension beyond time and space, and she later downloads other abilities from the Nexus.

The Nexus was a disruption in time from where probabilities were calculated, to which the First Civilization had access. It was used by the First Civilization to predict the "proper path" for individuals or to speak with individuals from the future.

http://assassinscreed.wikia.com/wiki/Nexus

It was just a place where the first civ can do science and thats it. How did Shao Jun access a place that she said she never got to work?

I-Like-Pie45
02-14-2016, 04:10 AM
How did Shao Jun access a place that she said she never got to work?

Because the game told you so, so she did

CrossedEagle
02-14-2016, 04:50 AM
When it comes to the Precursor Box in Chronicle, keep this in mind: If you can think it; it can do it. It does't make sense. The box is a box, a translator, a map, a metaphor, something that can transplant personalities, and probably so much more. :P

Senningiri_GR
02-14-2016, 12:10 PM
Well I really wonder where did Altair get the Precursor Box... Maybe from Alamut? Because... remember Ezio's discovering Altair's Apple. Behind it there was a large box that could fit the Precursor Box...http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/assassinscreed/images/6/65/Message_1.png/revision/latest?cb=20111205130826

Jessigirl2013
02-14-2016, 12:22 PM
Well I really wonder where did Altair get the Precursor Box... Maybe from Alamut? Because... remember Ezio's discovering Altair's Apple. Behind it there was a large box that could fit the Precursor Box...http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/assassinscreed/images/6/65/Message_1.png/revision/latest?cb=20111205130826

Surely it could be put in any box that will fit it, or no box at all.:rolleyes:

Sorrosyss
02-16-2016, 01:51 PM
Seriously though, Shao Jun possessing the Princess has got to be the dumbest thing I have ever heard. Its just another thing they'll never explain again. Like how, when, where, why? Shao Jun said that she never figured out how she got the Box to work that way, so how did this come about?

The Nexus was a disruption in time from where probabilities were calculated, to which the First Civilization had access. It was used by the First Civilization to predict the "proper path" for individuals or to speak with individuals from the future.

http://assassinscreed.wikia.com/wiki/Nexus

It was just a place where the first civ can do science and thats it. How did Shao Jun access a place that she said she never got to work?

I hadn't really considered the Nexus, but I suppose we have seen on two previous occasions (Desmond and Connor) people entering it via touching a Piece of Eden.

As you say though, how it got hold of Shao is an interesting puzzle. It may be that the Nexus stored her data without transporting her, purely making a copy. I don't really want to get into the whole 'The Nexus is the afterlife!', but I suppose that's an outside possibility too.

(You realise though that we now have a potential 'copy' of both Desmond and Connor waiting in the wings. :p)

Farlander1991
02-16-2016, 02:48 PM
The biggest mystery for me is how out of a kinda throwaway element that Ezio gave to inspire Shao Jun it became one of the most strange and contrived first civ artifact type :p

VestigialLlama4
02-16-2016, 02:56 PM
The biggest mystery for me is how out of a kinda throwaway element that Ezio gave to inspire Shao Jun it became one of the most strange and contrived first civ artifact type :p

Poor Darby McDevitt...he said that he intended the box to be a symbol, a metaphorical thing. He never expected that it would take this life on its own thanks to fan speculation which Ubisoft paid too much attention to, and led them to include it in ROGUE and then make it focus of Chronicles.

cawatrooper9
02-16-2016, 04:37 PM
Poor Darby McDevitt...he said that he intended the box to be a symbol, a metaphorical thing. He never expected that it would take this life on its own thanks to fan speculation which Ubisoft paid too much attention to, and led them to include it in ROGUE and then make it focus of Chronicles.

Yeah, the mystery of Embers was supposed to be that- mystery.

Still, I personally don't mind the idea of Shay imprinting on Otso Berg. It would give some meaning to Rogue, and I would love to hear the lug say "I make my own luck" every three minutes.

Mr.Black24
02-17-2016, 12:42 AM
I hadn't really considered the Nexus, but I suppose we have seen on two previous occasions (Desmond and Connor) people entering it via touching a Piece of Eden.

Well technically, Desmond isn't truly dead, his conscious being trapped in The Grey with Juno. There would be two Desmonds than, and that would just be beyond screwed up in terms of lore.

As you say though, how it got hold of Shao is an interesting puzzle. It may be that the Nexus stored her data without transporting her, purely making a copy. I don't really want to get into the whole 'The Nexus is the afterlife!', but I suppose that's an outside possibility too.

This is what I'm afraid of. I like the idea of an ancient civilization, but at least what they've done has grounded realities. Genetic memories, equipment powered by solar energies, electromagnetic technologies, while they are still fantasy, at least these do exist in the boundaries of reality at the same time. Historic Fiction, ya know. But now spirits possessing people boarders now on the supernatural, and AC wasn't really about that.

(You realise though that we now have a potential 'copy' of both Desmond and Connor waiting in the wings. :p) To be honest, only because the lore is being butchered right in front of my eyes, I fear for this prospect. I feel like they are going to put some stupid lore that has no real meaning in the overall story and never explain what needs to be explained again.

"Whoa Connor's spirit! What why are you here?"

"I dunno, lulz. But hey, cool huh?"

Jessigirl2013
02-17-2016, 02:03 PM
Yeah, the mystery of Embers was supposed to be that- mystery.

Still, I personally don't mind the idea of Shay imprinting on Otso Berg. It would give some meaning to Rogue, and I would love to hear the lug say "I make my own luck" every three minutes.

Yeah...

Haha :cool: