PDA

View Full Version : Frame Rate Issues - NVidia

jason.vp
02-12-2016, 02:40 AM
I'd like to start a running thread for NVidia users who are interested in working together to troubleshoot and diagnose on-going FPS issues when playing Rainbow Six: Siege. I ask that folks keep this on-topic as much as possible, and don't devolve it into a Red vs Green flame war. If it's beneficial, perhaps someone with an AMD card can start a similar thread, and maybe we can have the forum admins sticky both of them.

Symptom: With each new DLC and/or patch, it seems as through the in-game frame rate continues to drop. I'm now averaging around 90FPS when I'm lucky, and I should be able to get quite a bit more than that. The engine Ubi is using isn't that intensive. This, by the way, is down from >110FPS before the "Black Ice" DLC. It was even higher prior to the 1.3 patch.

Hardware: It's in my signature, but - an Intel 5960X overclocked to 4.3GHz, and 2 Titan X video cards lightly overclocked by another 100MHz. The CPU and both GPUs are liquid cooled and in-game the CPU might hit 45C, while the GPUs maybe reach 40C.

The LCD panel I'm playing on is the Asus PG278 w/1440p 144Hz GSync capabilities.

Software and Drivers: Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit. I've tried NVidia drivers 361.43 and 361.75. Neither seem to make a difference, though the latter fixes the SLI profile problem found in previous drivers.

Settings: I have everything turned up to the max. 1440p resolution, 144Hz refresh, max everything else except: Ambient occlusion and the AA settings are all off.

I've Tried:

Enabling or disabling VSync
Setting SLI: AFR2
Different NVidia drivers
Fixing the SLI profile on the pre-361.75 drivers
Dropping some of the video settings down

None of these have helped.

I do have a case open with Ubi's support because I really want to (politely) annoy them enough so that the developers start paying attention to this. If I'm suffering terrible frame rates with a couple of Titans, I have to imagine others are as well. That said, I'm also open to suggestions for things I haven't tried or thought of. Any ideas?

Muppets_Waldorf
02-18-2016, 10:21 PM
first, when troubleshooting "anything", i tend to remove any ocing (cpu and gpu).

set win to balanced profile, min cpu to 20%.

set the nv panel to let the game control AA/AF, set Transparent AA to 8x, power to adaptive, vsync controlled by game and triple buffering ON.

set the game graphics to the following:
texture ultra or v.high, AF 16x, shading high, lod ultra, HBOA, reflections medium, shadows v.high, bloom (no flare), no zoom DoF, no post processing (if, TAA only), and TXAA 2x.

those settings are giving the best IQ without "wasting" performance and stuff you "cant see" when playing the game...
run a bench and see if it helps.

jason.vp
02-19-2016, 04:01 PM
first, when troubleshooting "anything", i tend to remove any ocing (cpu and gpu).

There's absolutely no reason to do that, ever, unless the overclocking is specifically causing problems. And you'll know if it is by driver crashes or all-out Windows crashes. OC'ing doesn't cause frame rate drops like this.

set win to balanced profile, min cpu to 20%.

Never. Full power, all the time.

set the nv panel to let the game control AA/AF, set Transparent AA to 8x, power to adaptive, vsync controlled by game and triple buffering ON.

Again: no. Power set to full, not adaptive. And no, I'm not going to let the game control VSync; the driver can do that better.

set the game graphics to the following:

We agree on some of those, and not others.

The main problem right now is SLI, as it turns out. R6S is still tripping over itself with SLI and performance. I've already documented in a video that SLI is to blame and that disabling it in nVidia's control panel significantly increases the frame rate. That's broken, obviously, and needs to be addressed by either Ubi (likely) or nVidia (maybe, but less likely).

Documented here; I've shared it on the forums a few times already, but in case you missed it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pc-7fehKzik

Muppets_Waldorf
02-20-2016, 08:17 PM
"OC'ing doesn't cause frame rate drops like this."
ever heard about throttling?? if you exceed nv limits on either thermal/power/voltage/ov, the card will downclock. period.

the fact that i fix computer for +15y, and heard a lot of : "that cant be it",
but everytime people follow my step-by-step-advice to troubleshoot, they find out i was right.
including a friend having drops with a 4th gen i7 and 980ti, until he removed any oc, and set it up as above (except texture which is ultra).

seeing that you keep power profile on full, i already know you dont really know much how it works.
unless benching/quad sli, there is no need for 100% cpu load.
and thats the same for power saving thru C-state. any "normal or 24/7" oc (on air/water)will be stable with it turned on.

i do know that R6 has issue, just tried to help. do or dont, your choice...

Muppets_Waldorf
02-20-2016, 08:24 PM
"OC'ing doesn't cause frame rate drops like this."
ever heard about throttling?? if you exceed nv limits on either thermal/power/voltage/ov, the card will downclock. period.
but it was mainly to exclude that as a possible source of probs, i never said "dont do it (at all)".

the fact that i fix computer for +15y, and heard a lot of : "that cant be it",
but everytime people follow my step-by-step-advice to troubleshoot, they find out i was right.
including a friend with drops running 980ti, until removed oc and did what i posted above (except some settings like texture are set to ultra).

seeing that your power profile is on full, tells me a lot.
unless benching for records etc., there is no need for 100% cpu load.
every stable (24/7) oc will be able to run with things like C related power saving turned on (except EPU).

i do know that R6 has issues (incl sli), just tried to help.
do or dont, your choice...

jason.vp
02-21-2016, 01:55 AM
i do know that R6 has issue, just tried to help. do or dont, your choice...

I appreciate you trying to help, and that's all you did: try. It's clear you haven't clue 1 of what's going on here.

Take care.

PattonHe
02-21-2016, 02:08 AM
lol i am using several cards, benchmark shows min fps is 19 and max fps is 200+ when sli enabled, and ava is 30 ==, when i disable sli, works much better than sli enable