PDA

View Full Version : Saitek Cyborg Evo: I'm a believer! But two questions

Mitlov47
03-09-2004, 09:29 PM
People may remember that I was considering replacing my Logitech Wingman Extreme with a Saitek. Well, today I did it. The results are AWESOME. I'm still getting use to the much lighter springing of the joystick, but my rudder flutter is GONE. I can actually aim precisely now! I took an IL-2 model 3M through a couple strafing runs on a vehicle convoy. Vehicle after vehicle burst into flames as I accurately targeted them instead of just spraying the area. I then took a BF-109 up and was actually able to snipe individual engines on a B-17--I used to have trouble even hitting the B-17 ANYWHERE.

This is going to revolutionize my gaming experience.

I just have two complaints:

1) The base is light and small. I'm having trouble balancing it stably on my lap. Do people put it on a desk, or what?

2) The big yellow "WARNING: Handling this product will expose you to lead" sticker on the cable really freaks me out. What have others done about this? Ignored it? Wrapped it in electrical tape? Washed their hands after touching the cable? I don't want to get lead poisoning from this joystick.

---------------------------

"I hear the roar of a big machine; Two worlds and in between.
Love lost, fire at will; Dum-dum bullets and shoot to kill.
I hear dive bombers and Empire down, Empire down..."
--Sisters of Mercy

KI-84-1a -- "Kaoru"

Mitlov47
03-09-2004, 09:29 PM
People may remember that I was considering replacing my Logitech Wingman Extreme with a Saitek. Well, today I did it. The results are AWESOME. I'm still getting use to the much lighter springing of the joystick, but my rudder flutter is GONE. I can actually aim precisely now! I took an IL-2 model 3M through a couple strafing runs on a vehicle convoy. Vehicle after vehicle burst into flames as I accurately targeted them instead of just spraying the area. I then took a BF-109 up and was actually able to snipe individual engines on a B-17--I used to have trouble even hitting the B-17 ANYWHERE.

This is going to revolutionize my gaming experience.

I just have two complaints:

1) The base is light and small. I'm having trouble balancing it stably on my lap. Do people put it on a desk, or what?

2) The big yellow "WARNING: Handling this product will expose you to lead" sticker on the cable really freaks me out. What have others done about this? Ignored it? Wrapped it in electrical tape? Washed their hands after touching the cable? I don't want to get lead poisoning from this joystick.

--Sisters of Mercy

KI-84-1a -- "Kaoru"

Hunde_3.JG51
03-09-2004, 09:50 PM
I hold mine on my lap with both hands so it is stable, can't use table. I just washed my hands after installing joystick, and yes the warning freaked me out too. I didn't do anything after that but then again I'm pretty much just waiting to die.

I hate the position of the throttle btw, wish it was on the side. Otherwise it is a great stick.

http://www.brooksart.com/Icewarriors.jpg

Formerly Kyrule2
http://www.jg51.com/

Mitlov47
03-09-2004, 09:59 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Hunde_3.JG51:
I just washed my hands after installing joystick, and yes the warning freaked me out too. I didn't do anything after that but then again I'm pretty much just waiting to die. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wish it was that simple for me. Since I use a laptop and bring it into school every day, I have to plug and unplug the cord every time.

For now I've wrapped the cord in medical tape, which gives me some mental ease. Does anyone know if this could cause any problems... overheating or anything like that?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I hate the position of the throttle btw, wish it was on the side. Otherwise it is a great stick.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agreed. The throttle goes right in your groin when it's sitting on your lap. Putting it on the side wouldn't keep the joystick ambidextrous, though (which is one reason I bought it). Maybe they could have mounted it on the front instead of the back, though.

--Sisters of Mercy

KI-84-1a -- "Kaoru"

CO_Eagle_31stFG
03-09-2004, 10:17 PM
I put the stick on my keyboard shelf on my desk, and have the keybord on the main desktop, my monitor is elivated with a shelf that sets connected to the desktop.

As far as the lead issue I dont worry to much about it since I dont need to touch it anyway, but I guess you could always put some heat shrink on it to cover it. And no there shouldn't be a need to worry about heat on the cord.

arcadeace
03-09-2004, 10:53 PM
I have the Cyborg 3D which is almost the same. Its my second one in almost 5 years and I plan on getting the Evo. I've played just like CO_Eagle. Its lite base is the one drawback you simply have to get used to. I also wouldn't worry about the lead warning, they're playing it extremely safe. As long as you don't lick it every day I wouldn't give it a second thought.

Glad you enjoy it. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Mitlov47
03-09-2004, 10:57 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CO_Eagle_31stFG:
I put the stick on my keyboard shelf on my desk, and have the keybord on the main desktop, my monitor is elivated with a shelf that sets connected to the desktop.

As far as the lead issue I dont worry to much about it since I dont need to touch it anyway, but I guess you could always put some heat shrink on it to cover it. And no there shouldn't be a need to worry about heat on the cord.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ooh, you're right, saran wrap would be an easy and unobtrusive covering to put over the cord. I'm sure it's not actually dangerous--the warning sticker is just a result of excessive litigation nowadays--but I'd rather be safe then sorry. Lead poisoning causes mental ******ation and intestinal paralysis, and I'd rather not deal with either.

--Sisters of Mercy

KI-84-1a -- "Kaoru"

J30Vader
03-09-2004, 11:07 PM
Since the sticker says ".... this product", that would mean more than the cord. Would it not?

Mitlov47
03-09-2004, 11:27 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by J30Vader:
Since the sticker says ".... this product", that would mean more than the cord. Would it not?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The sticker is attached to the cord, so I presumed it was just the cord. Also, it makes some sense--doesn't lead help shield from interference? So it would mean a cleaner signal through the cord.

But the liability cases they'd face for any lead content in the joystick itself would blow the company out of the water. So I'm sure there's no lead in the joystick itself.

--Sisters of Mercy

KI-84-1a -- "Kaoru"

Tully__
03-10-2004, 03:35 AM
There's some info about the sticker on the Saitek site. Apparenly most cords that are designed to be repeatedly flexed have a very small quantity of lead & cadmium in the insulation compound. It is chemically bound and will do you no harm unless you actually make a habit of eating joystick cords, but Californian statutes require the warning to be affixed. To save the expense and shipping administration of different packaging just for California, Saitek put the sticker on all US delivery sticks.

If you want to read the Saitek version of the story for yourself, it's in one of the FAQ's on their site.

=================================================

http://members.optusnet.com.au/tully_78th/Corsair.jpg (http://www.mudmovers.com/sturmovik_101/FAQ.htm)

IL2 Forums Moderator
Forum Terms of Use (http://www.ubi.com/US/Info/TermsOfUse.htm)

Salut
Tully

Fehler
03-10-2004, 04:15 AM
Lead cords taste great with a light mercury/butter sauce. Sautee for 40 minutes over a low flame to get that rich lead flavor.

I ate lead paint chips as a kid too, the color blue was my favorite.

I noticed that later in life, I could finally stick my finger in a light socket without any ill effects, and I can tell the temperature plus or minus 1 degree C.

http://webpages.charter.net/cuda70/FehlerSig.gif
http://webpages.charter.net/cuda70/9JG54.html

TugZooey
03-10-2004, 06:58 AM
I may be naive, but I don't pay much attention to the warning. Tully seems to be right on about California statutes. I have a fly tying vise that instructs me not to eat it.

BSS_Goat
03-10-2004, 07:23 AM
I,ve got velcro stuck on my table to mount the joystick. Get the industrial stuff from a hardware store works great.

ali3n_SLO
03-10-2004, 07:39 AM
We have no "warning" stickers on Evo in Europe... so - i guess u don't have to pay much attention to it.

rgoodrich1978
03-10-2004, 08:14 AM
Dont know if anyone else has noticed but there are actually holes in the base of the stick to attatch it with screws to your desk. The kind of holes where you put the screws into the desk and then drop the piece over the screws and then slide/lock the piece into place with a little twist. Pretty neat idea but I'm not about to start putting holes in my desktop. That velcro is a pretty good idea though.

-PURGE-
its good for you

[This message was edited by rgoodrich1978 on Wed March 10 2004 at 07:23 AM.]

Jonny__C
03-10-2004, 09:12 AM
I'm having trouble settling my Evo down for smooth aiming. Does anyone have a congfig they'd be willing to share? Not a profile, but the joystick settings from the IL2config file.

It seems no matter what I do, I can't quite "fine tune" the joystick for smooth motion.

Part of my problem is I guess I don't really know what 'deadband' and 'filtering' do. The way I've used them so far doesn't do me much good.

horseback
03-10-2004, 09:20 AM
Before I got my CH setup, I put my joysticks on a tray on my lap so I could have my trackball just to the left of it for my throttle/base button hand. Why not get a plastic or wooden tray and anchor your stick to that?

Love that emu picture, ali3n - I'd like to stick it at eye level over the urinals in the 'executive washrooms' at work.

cheers

horseback

"Here's your new Mustangs, boys. You can learn to fly'em on the way to the target. Cheers!" -LTCOL Don Blakeslee, 4th FG CO, February 27th, 1944

resev
03-10-2004, 09:42 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jonny__C:
Part of my problem is I guess I don't really know what 'deadband' and 'filtering' do. The way I've used them so far doesn't do me much good.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Deadband determines the "zero point" where your joystick beguins to react to the input given.
For example, if your joystick has center play (loose in the center) and moves by itself when you don't want it to, applying dead band will remove this problem.
You must only apply enough deadband to fix the center play, but if you don't have any center play, then don't touch it.

Filtering is used to delay the action.
The options are beetween 0 and 1 second.
Aplying full filtering, will make your joystick take one full second to react to the input given.
This option is to be used if you think your joystick is reacting too quickly.
For example, for someone not acostumed with the FW190 fast roll rate, applying some roll filtering wil tame the beast since it won't react as fast.
Using this option is fuly up to you, but its not entirely necessary on a daily basis, only for specific aircraft pilots.

I'm sorry i can't help you with the settings.
I'm an in dept tweaker, but only for Logitech sticks, so my tweaks wouldn't help you much.

Cheers.

http://mysite.freeserve.com/resev/images/2-picture2.gif?0.3524929147671928

Mitlov47
03-10-2004, 10:56 AM
I just use the default settings with the Saitek. The beast is twitchy, because the stick doesn't have much resistance, but I find it to be very accurate.

What problems are you having? Just that it magnifies your input? Or that it seems to put in inputs when you aren't doing anything at all?

--Sisters of Mercy

KI-84-1a -- "Kaoru"

Mirtma
03-10-2004, 12:01 PM
Got it today (when I read your post). It's really great stick. Precise. Just what I've been missing with old Logitech Force 3D. Same in LockOn.
TNX!
Oh, and really no warning in Europe.

Athlon 2000 XP+
1024 Mb DDram
*** broken****waiting new******
** GeForce 4200 Ti 128Mb 8xAGP **
*** broken****waiting new******
SB Live! 1024 Player
Saitek Cyborg Evo

Jonny___C
03-10-2004, 04:29 PM
Thanks for the explanation, Resev.

EMitton, it's that twitchiness that's getting to me. Every control input seems to lead to an overcontrol. This stick is brand new but it feels like my Logitech D3D Wingman Extreme when it started to wear out, so there has got to be a way to make it smoother.

arcadeace
03-10-2004, 04:41 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rhett69:
I,ve got velcro stuck on my table to mount the joystick. Get the industrial stuff from a hardware store works great.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That will certainly help my game enjoyment rhett, I'm very glad you posted it http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif