PDA

View Full Version : Assassin's Creed Chronicles - trophies badly handled

Torvaldesq
02-09-2016, 10:17 PM
The Assassin's Creed Chronicles Trilogy list really shouldn't be a "separate" game for trophies. It ought to simply unify the trophy lists for the stand-alone games and award a platinum if you've obtained all the trophies in all the ACC entries. Having it be a separate game, that doesn't use the trophies already won by players who bought the entries in their stand-alone forms, just gives trophy-hunter type players an experience where they won't want to buy stand-alone entries in the future, as they will be better off waiting for a bundle (which has everything the others have plus a platinum trophy).

I know this isn't a big deal. Still, it's dissatisfying. I know not all players care at all about trophies. But for those that do, it retroactively makes you feel like it was a mistake to get the other ACC games when they came out rather than waiting on them.

LoyalACFan
02-09-2016, 10:23 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong here, but most bundle/collection type releases don't add platinums, do they? I don't think the second season of Telltale's TWD did.

Ureh
02-09-2016, 11:10 PM
Oh man that sucks.... they should release a patch for those that bought the standalone episodes to update the trophy list with the plat.

Then again there are trophy/achievement collectors out there that probably love the idea of double-dipping and separate trophy lists.

Sorrosyss
02-10-2016, 02:02 AM
This is pretty upsetting, as the AC series is the only one that I've genuinely bothered to try and get all the platinum trophies for. As someone who has purchased all the Chronicles individually, its saddening to see the trilogy pack now has a platinum. As the OP states, that's a proper smack in the face to the most loyal fans.

I'd like to see this fixed somehow, but I daresay there will be some excuse given as to why it's not possible to add the platinum to the standalones. And yes, its not a big deal, but its still massively annoying to a completionist.

annagildea
02-10-2016, 06:05 AM
Hmmmm...!!!!!!!!!!

Farlander1991
02-10-2016, 09:07 AM
Nobody tries to screw anybody over. I'm not sure how much in detail I can go in, but in short there are different platform requirements that define if a game can or can't have a platinum trophy.

Actually, as TWD Season 2 was mentioned, I would like you to note that situation with TWD is different than ACC. ACC is three stand-alone games that later were released as one disc. TWD Season 2 is episode 1 that has 4 DLCs, and the collection is just that episode and 4 DLCs sold together, not a different product.

Hope that gives some fuel to conclude why this is the case. Based on information that's available online for trophies (it's pretty much the same what I said), I'm pretty sure I'll break a bunch of different NDAs if I go in more detail.

Torvaldesq
02-15-2016, 11:19 PM
Oh man that sucks.... they should release a patch for those that bought the standalone episodes to update the trophy list with the plat.

Then again there are trophy/achievement collectors out there that probably love the idea of double-dipping and separate trophy lists.

Yeah, I think what ought to have been done was a bundling of the trophy lists for the stand-alone episodes if you bought all three individually, so that the platinum would have been available to everyone who did all the trophies in all the games. Especially since I would guess MOST people with enough interest in AC to buy these Chronicles games are probably also people who would have bought them as they came out. I don't know what kind of programming challenge that would be, but it would surprise me if it was really all that complicated. I mean, creating a game in all its many aspects is complicated. Merging a trophy list would seem like an afterthought. But perhaps its too late now.

Regarding "double-dipping," I kind of doubt that even people who like getting trophies with their games would want to do that. I know I'm only speaking for myself here, but for me, trophies are a fun supplement to a game, with platinum trophies being a cool symbol of completion. As a supplement, they work great, but as a central reason for replaying a game you already got every trophy on, they're not a powerful incentive. I couldn't see myself wanting to spend twenty-five bucks just to re-do a bunch of trophies on a set of games I had already thoroughly completed. I'm sure there's a FEW people out there who are into trophies enough to do that. I suspect most people who get platinum trophies though are probably more like me - it's something fun to pursue when you've bought a game that's new to you, but not something you'd want to repeat for a duplicate list later. Usually by the time I do get a platinum trophy, it comes right about the time that I feel like I've exhausted what the game has to offer. These AC Chronicles games, though lacking a platinum, were about the same in terms of how I felt by the time I got 100% of the trophies.

Overall, it was disappointing to discover how the trophies were handled in this game. The only take-away I have is, "don't buy episodic content from Ubisoft as it's released - wait for a bundle instead."

Farlander1991
02-15-2016, 11:36 PM
I don't know what kind of programming challenge that would be, but it would surprise me if it was really all that complicated.

As I already said, it's not about programming, it's about platform requirements from Sony. There are different factors and rules that define when a product must or must not have Platinum.

It sucks that it happened, but your complaining about the devs is uncalled for as it has nothing to do with why this happened in the first place.

Ureh
02-16-2016, 01:27 AM
Yeah, I think what ought to have been done was a bundling of the trophy lists for the stand-alone episodes if you bought all three individually, so that the platinum would have been available to everyone who did all the trophies in all the games. Especially since I would guess MOST people with enough interest in AC to buy these Chronicles games are probably also people who would have bought them as they came out. I don't know what kind of programming challenge that would be, but it would surprise me if it was really all that complicated. I mean, creating a game in all its many aspects is complicated. Merging a trophy list would seem like an afterthought. But perhaps its too late now.

I'm not aware of the stipulations regarding trophy implementation. But there are plenty of games out there that include a Platinum in their retail version, but are missing one in their digital versions. As Farlander1991 said above, it has something to do with Sony but I don't think they've ever revealed how they determine which games have plats.

Farlander1991
02-16-2016, 10:09 AM
As Farlander1991 said above, it has something to do with Sony but I don't think they've ever revealed how they determine which games have plats.

They didn't, which is why I can't say anything detailed regarding how it's determined as it would break all manners of NDAs. However if you look at a bunch of games that have and don't have platinum I'm sure you can find some patterns ;)

SlainByBlind
02-16-2016, 10:57 AM
Ya I would have to agree

kosmoscreed
02-16-2016, 04:03 PM
I'm a mad at this too, got all the trophies on China and India when I got them on digital and now I have to do all over again, really unfortunate and the savegames from digital don't work either.

Torvaldesq
02-16-2016, 05:12 PM
As I already said, it's not about programming, it's about platform requirements from Sony. There are different factors and rules that define when a product must or must not have Platinum.

It sucks that it happened, but your complaining about the devs is uncalled for as it has nothing to do with why this happened in the first place.

It not being about the programming only relates to the idea of any kind of fix, which I also said I expected would be too late by this point anyway. It's fine to say that Sony is the one that makes it so no platinum can exist as the game is now. However, the ACC developers do deserve criticism for the outcome of the situation. The fact that no fix exists now because of how Sony runs its requirements for platinum trophies does not mean that the ACC developers couldn't have handled this better in earlier stages. Maybe instead of releasing these entries as separate games, they could have treated it all as one game from the outset that would be released in installments, and maybe that would have qualified it for a platinum.

Of course, even if that's wrong too, at an absolute minimum, they should have given advanced notice of what to expect regarding the releases. I would be shocked if Ubisoft hadn't mapped out their plan for all the ACC games well before ACC China came out. Prior to ACC China's release, even a small announcement that the company would be publishing these games, and fans could buy them as they came out or wait for a bundle of all three, which would also have a platinum trophy, would have fixed this issue.

Again, I don't want to make a mountain out of a mole-hill. This isn't a make-or-break issue for me. I obviously still bought ACC Russia, and the platinum trophy alone isn't a powerful enough motivation for me to buy the bundle to duplicate all the effort that went into the stand-alone releases. I post relatively rarely on these forums, didn't see any threads on this issue, and feel that the developer should see that this was an issue that I felt was disappointingly handled. If the issue couldn't be fixed, then it should have been avoided by better planning prior to ACC China's release so that everyone could get a platinum regardless of how they bought the set of games, and if it couldn't have been avoided, Ubisoft should have given notice to fans (prior to ACC China's release) regarding what they could expect between the stand-alones and the bundle. Had such an announcement been made, I know I would have waited, and certainly there'd be less room for anyone to complain.